Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wxman11
Topic Author

SFO Changing Gate F84 Parking Layout

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi folks,

so it appears that SFO has begun to change gate F84 at T3. by this, I mean, the gate is commonly used for wide-bodies and has been changed to accommodate 3 regional planes. does anybody know why? is this a temporary change? how would this change affect UAL flight ops in T3?

brgds
wxman11

legacyins

RE: SFO Changing Gate F84 Parking Layout

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:14 pm

To take a guess, UA has said their regional ops will move from T1 back to T3 this coming May.

rickabone

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:16 pm

UAL (SKW) is being kicked out of terminal 1 soon so that the airport may begin that construction project... They need more gates for RJ's and Brasilias thanks to the construction being done that has closed many of the gates in the shuttle alley. It's gonna be a mess in my opinion... Best bet for the long term, though I doubt it would ever happen would be to put a remote terminal where the current long term parking garages are just west of Twy B3, connect Twy Y around to Plot 9, and run an underground tunnel to connect people from gate 90, under Twy's A & B to that new remote terminal... Then use that for all SKW ops. You could even run the airtrain to that remote terminal... It's a pipe dream I know, as they are planning a new hotel over there and those parking garages aren't that old, but that would solve a lot of the gate congestion problems that United gets anytime there are delays or during summer traffic.

jetblue1965

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Very few domestic WB ops these days left at SFO outside of Hawaii. Since T3 is connected to INTL Concourse G behind TSA security, UA can always place their 767/777/787s there.

Worst case scenario - ask some of the foreign G tenants (mostly *A) move to A (mostly non-*A)

ua900

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Quoting wxman11 (Thread starter):
so it appears that SFO has begun to change gate F84 at T3. by this, I mean, the gate is commonly used for wide-bodies and has been changed to accommodate 3 regional planes. does anybody know why? is this a temporary change? how would this change affect UAL flight ops in T3?

Not much since F doesn't see a whole lot of WB traffic. IMO there is plenty of space now that E has been added. All of F can be converted to narrow body or even regional as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps following the LAX example of T6 and parts of T7.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 3):

G is wide open and much nicer than F anyway. All the HI flights can leave from G instead of F, in fact there is room in G for additional flights it seems. G is woefully underutilized, especially in the morning. Went through there on Monday morning and all they had there was a sole UA 744 and two A320s. Meanwhile F was nearly full. Arrived in E on Saturday and it reminded me of T2, really a good addition for UA and it should definitely alleviate the congestion in F. I get that some people might complain about having to transfer from E to G instead of staying in F only, but if I look at LAX, IAH or EWR it's not all that unusual.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TXL

legacyins

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 4):
G is wide open and much nicer than F anyway. All the HI flights can leave from G instead of F, in fact there is room in G for additional flights it seems. G is woefully underutilized, especially in the morning. Went through there on Monday morning and all they had there was a sole UA 744 and two A320s.

I beg to differ about G being wide open, especially in the morning. The Asian arrival bank starts around 7:30 and by 12:00, ALL the Gates are spoken for. Often, they push back UA after arrival to a remote next to the G pier.

ua900

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Quoting legacyins (Reply 5):

I agree it's full during banks, but think there is still room outside of banks. F should be remodeled.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TXL

wxman11
Topic Author

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:51 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 3):

I agree that the carriers in G, or as we here at the airport call it, G side, need to go to A side. Perhaps that was the thought that the G side was to be all UAL. However, A side can be quite busy, therefore it is necessary to keep some of the carriers in G side. who knows, when UAL leaves T1, what would the outcome be?

1) will AA move in so that the new US/AA can operate out of one terminal?
2) will B6 (jetblue) move into T1 taking up the gates available?

however, thats the problem with SFO thesedays. its slowly or has been turned into a level 2 airport. lots of traffic and no gates. and with ther recent closures of 2 of the runways, i wonder how summer is going to look.

Quoting rickabone (Reply 2):

I highly doubt that SFO would turn plot 9 into a terminal for Skywest. besides, does anybody know what they are building there? my hunch is that it will be another cargo warehouse. looks pretty big both outside and in.

legacyins

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:58 pm

Quoting wxman11 (Reply 7):

I agree that the carriers in G, or as we here at the airport call it, G side, need to go to A side. Perhaps that was the thought that the G side was to be all UAL. However, A side can be quite busy, therefore it is necessary to keep some of the carriers in G side. who knows, when UAL leaves T1, what would the outcome be?

1) will AA move in so that the new US/AA can operate out of one terminal?
2) will B6 (jetblue) move into T1 taking up the gates available?

however, thats the problem with SFO thesedays. its slowly or has been turned into a level 2 airport. lots of traffic and no gates. and with ther recent closures of 2 of the runways, i wonder how summer is going to look.

I highly doubt that SFO would turn plot 9 into a terminal for Skywest. besides, does anybody know what they are building there? my hunch is that it will be another cargo warehouse. looks pretty big both outside and in.

The G-International terminal is labeled by the Airport as the *A Terminal where * Carriers, except OZ, will utilize the Terminal. Granted UA is the largest carrier but it makes sense to have the Star Carriers there as there is a sterile connector from T3.

T1 will be a total rebuild sometime beginning in late 2014-early 2015. US is moving to T2, AS will move to A-Termnal and a temporary Terminal will be built for all others. B6 will remain in the A-Terminal.

The building you mentioned is a new Cargo Terminal.

modesto2

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:58 am

As the OP mentioned, UA has plans to convert F84 from a widebody gate to an RJ operation. I'm not sure if they've finalized plans, but the last I heard, they have plans to hold several RJ gates at that position.

In addition, expect more changes to UA's SFO gates in the very near future...

as739x

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:12 am

Quoting modesto2 (Reply 9):

Gate 84 is already painted and day away from opening for Express Operations.

Correct Total project time on T-3 alone is over a year.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

wxman11
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:11 pm

As the OP mentioned, UA has plans to convert F84 from a widebody gate to an RJ operation. I'm not sure if they've finalized plans, but the last I heard, they have plans to hold several RJ gates at that position.

taking a look at the new gate setup at F84, markings indicate that it ill have 4 parking spaces for Skywest, 84A, 84B, 84C and 84D.

Quoting legacyins (Reply 8):

T1 will be a total rebuild sometime beginning in late 2014-early 2015. US is moving to T2, AS will move to A-Termnal and a temporary Terminal will be built for all others. B6 will remain in the A-Terminal.

but you forgot to mention where WN will be going,    A friend from AS told me yesterday about them moving to A-side in internat'l terminal come in June. although, A-side will be busy, it will be interesting to see the impact it will have, if any, once June comes around where you have the pacific flights blocked in the morning, then i hear AM adding more flights into Mexico, I believe you'll see 2 flights from AF and the evening flights, i think the ground time will be limited for AS, i think. although I did mention to my friend that if A-side doesn't have enough gates for AS ops, they could see some of their flight depart from G-side like AC does. let the fighting for a gate begin, huh?

as739x

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:21 pm

We could only wish for a remote UAX terminal  

My idea, IMHO, would have more traction and that's put a remote terminal where the current UA Cargo facility is next to Plot-6 UAX parking. Ample holding area for flights, enough room to be designed for multiple gates and most of important to you, out of your hair and G-towers problem. Initially run bus's out there, but the feasibility of other connections with the close proximity. From my contacts, the Director is not a huge fan of remote Ops though, so my pipe dream as well as your may be just that.

codc10

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:25 pm

New E pier has widebody parking positions so this is not a net loss for UA@SFO.

legacyins

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 pm

Quoting wxman11 (Reply 11):
but you forgot to mention where WN will be going,  

nope, did not forget WN. I said:

a temporary Terminal will be built for all others.

WN falls in the "all others".  

When AF starts A380 service this summer, they will drop back to 10 flights a week and not double daily like last summer. There will be XL Airways with their seasonal service.

wxman11
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:01 pm

hmmm..... and where would this "temporary terminal" be at??? i guess i can say that it would gate F70-71, F77 since they have been closed for awhile. could that be where you think the WN will be at? furthermore, will there be a drop in WN flight since they use quite a few gates in T1?

Quoting legacyins (Reply 14):
they will drop back to 10 flights a week and not double daily like last summer.

who is they in this sentence, AS or AF? also don't forget that EI "aer lingus" be back in May 5x week, I think.

legacyins

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Quoting wxman11 (Reply 15):
who is they in this sentence, AS or AF? also don't forget that EI "aer lingus" be back in May 5x week, I think.

I was speaking of Air France regarding the 10 flights per week. As for EI, I have heard off and on that they will be using T3 for their arrival since they will fully clear Immigration and customs in Dublin.

For the life of me, I cannot find the link I had regarding the temporary terminal for WN. I'll keep looking.

as739x

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:15 am

Quoting codc10 (Reply 13):
New E pier has widebody parking positions so this is not a net loss for UA@SFO.

Tecnically yes, but will not be used unless it's a last resort. If a widebody goes to these gates, it actually uses 2 gates. (Ex. if 67 is used for a WB, then it blocks 68)

hmmm..... and where would this "temporary terminal" be at??? i guess i can say that it would gate F70-71, F77 since they have been closed for awhile. could that be where you think the WN will be at? furthermore, will there be a drop in WN flight since they use quite a few gates in T1?

Unless plans have changed, let me take a stab at explaining this:

I believe a temporary walkway will be built thru the Gate 21-23 area to the rutunda where WN is now. They will still operate from the same gates and passengers will access thru this walkways.

The rest of the terminal from the main terminal out to the rutunda housing express right now (Gates 36-33-etc) will be torn down and rebuilt. Once thats completed, WN will move over to the new gates and the exsisting structure will be torn down.

Disclaimer, this was the last I heard and the last design I saw. So if it's changed, I am not aware of it.

anonms

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Construction phasing: http://www.cmaanorcal.org/pdfs/112912_sfo_presentation.pdf

Don't know about who's going where.
This is my signature.

as739x

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Quoting anonms (Reply 18):

Thanks, that's the link I was looking for, and thought I had it saved. It's been tweeked a little, but very close to what I saw before.

wxman11
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Quoting anonms (Reply 18):
Construction phasing: http://www.cmaanorcal.org/pdfs/112912_sfo_presentation.pdf

Don't know about who's going where.

thanks for the link. I saw the one that the airport assistance deputy director gave. however this one seems to be more detailed about what is going to take place. once again, thanks for the links. perhaps this my come in handy when I do my dissertation in aviation history