Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Clydenairways
Topic Author

Aer Arann To Change It's Name To Stobart Air

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:02 am

It sounds like they are getting ready for some Southend expansion.
Stobart Air.

http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/...ange-corporate-name-to-stobart-air

Changing the corporate name is the next step in achieving our ambition to further expand our operations. Stobart Air positions the airline to explore new opportunities and add to our franchise network, particularly in the UK and mainland Europe."

MACDADDY

RE: Aer Arann To Change It's Name To Stobart Air

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:41 am

It's a UK trucking company that have moved into airport and airline ownership. SEN and Aer Arrann were the first purchases.

I don't know if they will expand out of SEN as that might upset their biggest (and only) airline "client" but would be interesting if they start looking at other Ireland/UK bases for flights to UK / Eire or EU routes. With the ATR. The cant do anything too long!

airways1

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:39 am

With a name like that, I give them two years max.

Pacific

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:54 am

The BBC thinks Eddie Stobart is a "famous" name.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12925163

Clydenairways
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 am

Well it's logical to loose the rural Irish identity if they really want a shot at developing a network from Southend. As others have pointed out, Stobart is already a very well known brand in the UK. I think it's a good decision.
For the Irish market, it will still operate under the EI regional franchise brand so there is still an Irish identity here.

vfw614

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:06 am

Quoting clydenairways (Thread starter):
Changing the corporate name

It is just the corporate name, not necessarily the brand under which services are operated. I have also read rumours on English message boards that Aer Arann / Stobart Air will franchise an airline brand for the SEN operations just as they have done with Aer Lingus for their Irish Sea operation. Not sure though who would be interested/willing to franchise Stobart Air and would be a good business case for Stobart.

[Edited 2014-03-20 02:13:33]

BreninTW

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:08 am

The Stobart group is enormous in the UK ... and has substantial brand recognition. Most of the business is transport / warehousing related, but their vehicles are all over the place.

rutankrd

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:18 am

It is the family name of major shareholder.

The Stobart Family businesses are logistics and are one of the UK largest road trucking , rail distribution and warehousing companies.
They operate across Europe with divisions in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Food distribution to/on behalf of major Supermarket retailers and management of their regional distribution centres are other activities.

Within the last month the Group has however been split into two separate businesses

The Board of Stobart Group Ltd has announced a partial sale of its Transport and Distribution Division, to enable it to focus on its Infrastructure and Support Services Divisions and invest further in the Group's air, rail and biomass businesses.

The Transaction will position the Group to repay substantially all of its debt, accelerate the growth of the Continuing Group and buy back a proportion of its shares.

Stobart Group proposes to realise 51% of Eddie Stobart Logistics, the holding company of the parts of the Transport and Distribution Division being sold. The Transaction values the business being sold at approximately £280.8 million.

The third son of founder Eddie Stobart, William, will now head the spun-off Eddie Stobart Logistics.

The Stobart Group aims to focus on passenger growth at its London Southend and Carlisle Lake District airports, capitalising on demand for regional airport capacity in London and the South East
This included their holding in Irish Carrier - Aer Arran - With the name and ownership changes i wonder if the new business is to be registered in England ?

What is likely the Aer Lingus franchise remains for what ever time left in the contract and the group has expressly said they are looking at further franchise opportunities - These could be anywhere in the EU.

The Stobart name on the side may be a ways off unless they move/expand into the freight business - Quite possible.

[Edited 2014-03-20 02:30:57 by SA7700]

callumm92

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:21 am

If, as rumoured, they want to develop a UK-based network, then dropping the rural Irish name is indeed a step in the right direction. However, if they're trying to franchise, does it really matter at all? How many passengers actually notice, for example, that Aer Lingus Regional is anything to do with Aer Arann? I suspect that even fewer would let it affect their choice of airline.

Having said that, Stobart are a large company who do know the transport business inside out, so I don't think it's quite time for the "I give them 2 years max" comments.

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 7):
The Stobart group is enormous in the UK and has substantial brand recognition.

Yes, that's right - most people will in the UK will have heard of Stobart. Jet2 is actually also owned by the same company as Fowler-Welch, another big distribution company, and you see quite a lot of Jet2-branded lorries on UK motorways - it's pretty good 'free' advertising.

[Edited 2014-03-20 02:22:57]

nighthawk

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:24 am

Quoting MACDADDY (Reply 2):
SEN and Aer Arrann were the first purchases.

Actually Carlisle Airport was the first purchase.

Quoting airways1 (Reply 3):

Why? It's quite a strongly recognised name within the UK, especially in the road cargo market.

If the plan is to increase their presence in the UK market, then they will do a lot better under the name "Stobart Air" than they would under the name "Aer Arann". However, as others have pointed out, it is just the parent company name that is changing, currently all flights operate under the Aer Lingus Regional brand.

Bongodog1964

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:14 am

As mentioned by others the Stobart Group has diversified into railfreight, airport operations, biomass fuel supply property ownership and railway maintenance in recent years. Whilst contributing massively to turnover, all these add ons are presently contributing little to the profit margin.
Now the majority of the directors appear to have decided that the way forward is to sell off road haulage as "its a mature low profit margin business" and invest the proceeds in the newer parts of the business that they consider have the better prospects.
To me its a typical case of putting ambition before reality, when the boring old lorry fleet has gone down the road whats going to prop the business up if some/all of the new ideas don't come off ?
airways 1 said "I'll give it 2 years" this might be close to reality. Southend airport can never be much more than a sideshow, the road links are poor, the last few miles to get there are literally driving through a housing estate, and its on the coast which is not ideal geographically, after all no passengers come from the seaward side. Yes it does have a main line railways station but so does STN and LGW.

rutankrd

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:00 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 10):
Southend airport can never be much more than a sideshow, the road links are poor, the last few miles to get there are literally driving through a housing estate, and its on the coast which is not ideal geographically, after all no passengers come from the seaward side. Yes it does have a main line railways station but so does STN and LGW.

A little unfair - You could say its exceptionally convenient for the South Essex locals and their weekend trips to Marbella and Tenerife along with golfing in southern Portugal.

The link to the outside world via Amsterdam and those Irish routes for those (many) with family links over that way- Just stand in Basildon Concrete and ugly precinct to get the flavour !

In other places there are discussions taking place about the number and viability of UK regionals (imo there are too many) however Southend with a varied range of enterprises - Flying clubs maintenance painting, storage, Private customs clearances ad-hoc freighting and a revival of a selected range of passenger flights is perhaps a success story.

As to access the A127 and turn up Rochford Road is much less of an issue than getting to Bristol for instance from that town centre !

The A127 leads directly to the M25 and East End quite nicely !

Now the geography point true its coastal however its actually got a better record for avoiding fog than that place to west right in the river !

Bongodog1964

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:13 am

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 11):
Just stand in Basildon Concrete and ugly precinct to get the flavour !

And you accused me of being unfair !!!!

There again it is Basildon, it always reminds me of one of those Towns in the middle of Siberia where the only industry is "the peoples tractor assembly plant"

rutankrd

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:18 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 12):

There again it is Basildon, it always reminds me of one of those Towns in the middle of Siberia where the only industry is "the peoples tractor assembly plant"

Its got one of those as well !

Bongodog1964

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:21 am

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 13):

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 12):

Its got one of those as well !

I know thats why I mentioned it.

gkirk

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:30 am

Bring on the CAX-SEN and CAX-DUB flights 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Bongodog1964

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:34 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 15):
Bring on the CAX-SEN and CAX-DUB flights 

I think CAX was always intended as a new HQ for the Stobart transport division, there is little justification for flights from CAX, Carlisle is the only large City/town nearby, even then the population is only just over 100,000. The next nearest places with a large population are Newcastle and Glasgow both with their own airports.

Now that the Stobart group is being split up, the air pretence will probably be quietly forgotten about.

JayBCNLON

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 10):
Southend airport can never be much more than a sideshow, the road links are poor, the last few miles to get there are literally driving through a housing estate, and its on the coast which is not ideal geographically, after all no passengers come from the seaward side. Yes it does have a main line railways station but so does STN and LGW.

Southend is my favorite London airport. It's
- 53 min from Liverpool Station, one train every 20 minutes
- 5 min from plattform to checkin/from baggage belt to plattform
- 5 min from checkin to gate
- 4 new gates opened last month in more than doubling boarding capacity
- 5 minutes through customers
- 10 minutes until bags come out

I have gone through SEN at least 20 times during the past 15 months. LGW, SEN and LTN are pretty much the same distance/travel time for me, but if I can choose I fly through SEN.

Guess there is a major expansion going on at SEN (major at least for a small airport such as SEN). And Stobart want to capitalize on the advantages of SEN.

sandyb123

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 pm

I just don't see it working under the Stobart name. Yes I admire what Eddie Stobart has achieved, yes I recognise the branded trucks, but would I think of them as an airline choice? Nope!

However my only interaction with Aer Arean is when it's operating under the Aer Lingus Regional brand so doesn't make much difference really.

Now Southend airport (which also belongs to Stobart) is a whole other kettle of fish....

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

Rufusisgod

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Well at least people can spell stobart air. We've have aer Arran , aer Arrann & aer arean. Just to set it straight - it's Aer Arann.

The only time you'll hear stobart air is when the crew say - aer lingus regional operated by stobart air or eastern airways operated by stobart air. The planes will not be painted like trucks.

It's a step in the right direction for their goals. It's a name that has no connections like aer Arann. But still sad to see it go.

vfw614

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:03 am

Just wait and see. For the time being it is not different from the Envoy American Eagle situation. Stobard Air is just the company name, not the airline brand.

newhaven

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:46 am

Quoting airways1 (Reply 2):

Agreed ... what a bad name .... it sounds like an Oil-Change Lube Center you would take your car to .... not an airline.

Stobart Air .... really?

art

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:34 am

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 18):
I just don't see it working under the Stobart name. Yes I admire what Eddie Stobart has achieved, yes I recognise the branded trucks, but would I think of them as an airline choice? Nope!
Quoting newhaven (Reply 21):
Agreed ... what a bad name .... it sounds like an Oil-Change Lube Center you would take your car to .... not an airline.

Stobart Air .... really?

I find 'Stobart' an ugly name. If it is known to the UK consumer as a trucking company brand I think it a bad idea to use it as an airline brand. I would say that trucking has a very dull image. Hardly the emotional response one wants to evoke through a brand name when trying to promote an airline.

9VSIO

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:03 am

Quoting rufusisgod (Reply 19):
. We've have aer Arran , aer Arrann & aer arean. Just to set it straight - it's Aer Arann.

At least it wasn't Air Iran.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

Andy33

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:09 am

Quoting JayBCNLON (Reply 17):
It's
- 53 min from Liverpool Station

I don't think so - there aren't even any plans for ultra-high-speed rail from Southend to Liverpool. 53 min from London Liverpool Street Station, maybe.

Bongodog1964

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:10 am

The "Stobart" brand is the highest profile road haulage company in the UK, whilst there are larger haulage businesses, they tend to concentrate on contract hire and have their lorries in a wide variety of liveries, the result is that on a long motorway journey you will almost always see more Stobart trucks than any others.
The tractor unit cabs are all brightly "wrapped" in the company livery and the side curtains of the trailers have the brand full length down the side. The vast majority of the fleet is always less than 3 years old, washed regularly, and not allowed on the road with any significant cosmetic damage, finally drivers are all kitted out in company uniform - no egg stained vests for Stobart drivers.
All trucks are named there's presently nearly 3000 of them and they even have a spotters club

In addition they now have a sizeable operation in the Irish Republic which may be significant to the Aer Arann situation.

I will say that I'm talking here of the general perception of the company, in the road haulage industry many drivers literally hate them, refer to the drivers as "green elves" due to the uniform, complain that the company pays poorly, aggressively cuts haulage rates etc, a bit like some of the criticism aimed at the likes of FR.

The overall result is though that a person booking a flight is likely to think that "Stobart Air" is going to be an airline that they can rely on.

The Stobart directors appear to be of the opinion that this is a brand they can exploit and licence in a similar way to Virgin.

GIANCAVIA

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:17 am

Like names even matter in 2014, Best prices and or reliable service in the long run is what matters. What does Ryanair mean? Absolutely nothing, Its based on someones name OH LAH DE DAH so it Stobart. SCAT Airlines? Wizzair?!% Come on... There are endless ridiculous names and it means sweet FA.

What is so fantastic about the name Aer Arann that makes the airline oh so much more attractive then "Stobart", The answer is absolutely nothing. Most of the planes will be flying in Aer Lingus colours anyway.

N766UA

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:50 am

Never heard of the trucking company, and "Stobart Air" may be the worst name in the history of the airline industry. LOL it makes me laugh just saying it. Stobart Air. It has the same sort of ring as "Jeff's Airline."

[Edited 2014-03-21 04:53:00]

Bongodog1964

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:54 am

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 26):

Like names even matter in 2014

You might not think so, but there's a lot of big businesses that don't agree with you. Think of all the fees paid to Richard Branson for the right to use the word "Virgin" the likes of Virgin America etc must think its worthwhile. People are attracted to brands, look at all the overweight men who will pay lots of money for cheap nylon replica football shirts in which they look ridiculous. What are they paying for ? the brand of a football club and to turn themselves into a walking billboard for Emirates, Etihad, or Samsung to name a few.
Meanwhile the club that has charged them £50 for a £5 shirt is raking in £50m over 3 years from the airline whose name is on the shirt.
They must think its worth it.

unityofsaints

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Stobart - sounds awful!

I think the first of April came early this year...

Bongodog1964

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Quoting unityofsaints (Reply 29):

Stobart - sounds awful!

I think the first of April came early this year...

Sounds worse in real life when you hear the Cumbrian wide boys who run the company.

GIANCAVIA

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:56 pm

If you told someone they could fly to Paris for £30 pound on Stobart or £100 on Arann what will be the deciding factor? The Airlines name or the cost. We know the answer. They could call it Big Fat sloppy air as long as the prices were competitive and they built up years of service being reliable.

Of course Sports club branding is different, They have merchandising revenue and image rights which makes up most of their income. Airlines don't, I never see people walking around with Easyjet shirts and the number 01 with their name on the back while chanting songs. Amusing if it did happen though.

Virgin are an established brand with big pulling power, Aer Arann are a miniscule nothing, Hardly even Relevant in Britain let alone Europe or the greater World. If you do indeed believe what you say about the branding then Stobart would be head and shoulders above Arann in business experience, profit, longevity & popularity.

VFRonTop

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:32 pm

I think it is work reminding everyone that the change is to the corporate name, not the operating name.

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 31):
Aer Arann are a miniscule nothing, Hardly even Relevant in Britain let alone Europe or the greater World

Aer Arann (aka Aer Lingus Regional) carried ~1.2 million passengers last year on 550 flights a week, nothing to be sniffed at, its just that people didnt know they were flying Aer Arann. For comparison Virgin as an "established brand with big pulling power" carried 5.4 million.

IMHO neither brand (Aer Arann nor Stobart) is suitable for an international scheduled airline but then again thats not what RE is, its a "white label" regional franchise carrier that is looking to expand on EIR and replicate the BE/ AY joint venture.

Ultimately it's being integrated into the Stobart business not the brand.

Bongodog1964

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 31):
Airlines don't, I never see people walking around with Easyjet shirts

But lots of people walk around with Emirates or Etihad on their shirts (respectively sponsors of Arsenal and Manchester City)

Quoting VFRonTop (Reply 32):
For comparison Virgin as an "established brand with big pulling power" carried 5.4 million.

Thats just Virgin Atlantic, what about Virgin America and Virgin Australia ? Why did both airlines decide that a "brand" and the associated licencing fees were worthwhile ?

My argument is that branding is exceedingly important, why else would businesses spend a fortune creating, maintaining and protecting them ? Why else would they have a value ?

VFRonTop

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 33):
My argument is that branding is exceedingly important, why else would businesses spend a fortune creating, maintaining and protecting them ? Why else would they have a value ?

I agree, thats why Aer Arann fly the EI brand, the future isn't going to be "Aer Arann" or "Stobart Air" its going to be "Airline XXX Regional/Connection/Express"

B-HOP

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:00 pm

They have any plans to start new base in Southend or Norwich, once even the low cost are struggling with? With business focus schedules to the continent and sun/ski work on weekend? They seem to be a little small just focusing on Ireland and UK, similar operation would be like Eastern where they have several bases in the north,any plans for jets?
Live life to max!!!

Cipango

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Quoting andy33 (Reply 24):
I don't think so - there aren't even any plans for ultra-high-speed rail from Southend to Liverpool. 53 min from London Liverpool Street Station, maybe.

This is clearly what he meant, if you wanted to go to Liverpool you would simply fly to LPL.  
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

rutankrd

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Is the Aer Arann name really going to disappear ?

I think not as there remains the quiet and separately operated island division - For many the REAL Aer Arann and still flying Islanders between Connemara and Inis Mor, Meain and Oirr .

Clydenairways
Topic Author

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:09 am

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 37):
Is the Aer Arann name really going to disappear ?

I think not as there remains the quiet and separately operated island division - For many the REAL Aer Arann and still flying Islanders between Connemara and Inis Mor, Meain and Oirr .

Correct, that Islander operation is still going and not connected to the ATR airline anymore.

Quoting VFRonTop (Reply 32):
IMHO neither brand (Aer Arann nor Stobart) is suitable for an international scheduled airline but then again thats not what RE is, its a "white label" regional franchise carrier that is looking to expand on EIR and replicate the BE/ AY joint venture.

Ultimately it's being integrated into the Stobart business not the brand.

Well, i think the Stobart brand might be used for a UK based operation at some stage. It's got good recognition.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos