JetBlue1058
Topic Author

Jetblue Major Cuts For DCA Expansion

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Quote:
To make the new DCA flights possible, we must move aircraft from underperforming routes to these new ones. This will be accomplished by ending service in the following markets:
PBISJU: last flight both directions is June 16

SFOAUS: last flight is June 15 | AUSSFO: last flight is JUNE 16th

OAKIAD: last flight is June 15 | IADOAK: last flight is JUNE 16th

LGBIAD: last flight is Sept. 1 | IADLGB: last flight is Sept. 2

BUFRSW: this seasonal market will not resume in November

Notes: PBI-SJU, others have said this was not profitable, surprised they cut it year round.
SFO-AUS, probably to much competition with UA and VX to fill 600 seats a day AUS-SFO-AUS
OAK-IAD, a seasonal route with origins dating back to the orginal spokes in both cities.
LGB-IAD, not surprised, im sure if they got an out of perimeter slot at DCA they would start it back up.
BUF-RSW, E190 route that probably didnt do to bad, just not well enough to warrant the 6 hours that a single E190 uses to fly this, the plane will be moved where money can be made.
JetBlue E190 seats, 5D and 16A= no better place in the world

JetBlueCLT

RE: Jetblue Major Cuts For DCA Expansion

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:58 pm

These cuts are all reasonable. OAK-LGB was just a blast from the past with B6 small esbalishments back in the early days for the. The IAD cuts to the west coast are smart, Frees up a few A320s. All these route cuts are logical, all stations loosing some routes have great connectivity between JFK and BOS. PBI will suffer there Caribbean connection, can't make money in the shoulder months.

Summing it up.

JetBlue is going where the money is. *Hopefully  
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

crazyguineapig

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Many New Englanders here will be quite happy with another option to Hartford as opposed to US Airways! I might fly JetBlue there in the next 12 months if some family's friends are ok with me visiting. Obviously I bet it's hoped that the traffic to Hartford will include lots of year-round business pax, but the leisure travelers will help that route too!

JetBlueCLT

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Quoting crazyguineapig (Reply 2):

BDL-DCA. I think that route will do real well. BDL is such a successful JetBlue station and with reasonable times from DCA-BDL-DCA. Should do well.

psa1011

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:04 pm

I think UA needs to restart OAK already.

jetbluefan1

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Quoting JetBlue1058 (Thread starter):
Notes: PBI-SJU, others have said this was not profitable, surprised they cut it year round.

Completely unsurprising, and is being discussed on the JAX-SJU thread. This route didn't make sense from the beginning. Those who really want to fly from the Palm Beach area to SJU (or vice versa) can drive 25 minutes down the road to catch one of the many flights from FLL.

SFO-AUS, probably to much competition with UA and VX to fill 600 seats a day AUS-SFO-AUS

Agreed, and this was a pretty oddball route to start with (neither SFO nor AUS is a B6 focus city). Yields are also in the toilet; AUS-LGB/BOS/JFK all have higher average fares on B6.

OAK-IAD, a seasonal route with origins dating back to the orginal spokes in both cities.
LGB-IAD, not surprised, im sure if they got an out of perimeter slot at DCA they would start it back up.

About time. These daily redeyes serve no strategic importance to B6 other than utilization. With these cuts, IAD will only have a handful of flights to BOS/JFK, and OAK will only have the daily JFK redeye, daily seasonal BOS redeye, and 3 flights to LGB. I wouldn't be surprised to see B6 consolidate its IAD and OAK operations to DCA/BWI and SFO, respectively.

I wonder where that LGB slot is going...

BUF-RSW, E190 route that probably didnt do to bad, just not well enough to warrant the 6 hours that a single E190 uses to fly this, the plane will be moved where money can be made.

Agreed - it probably did OK, but it makes little sense to tie up an E190 for half a day just for two leisure-focused segments instead of four business-oriented segments (i.e. DCA-BDL).

Quoting JetBlueCLT (Reply 3):
BDL is such a successful JetBlue station and with reasonable times from DCA-BDL-DCA. Should do well.

I think this is going to be a very profitable market pairing for B6.

Overall, I'm glad to see B6 management trim the fat and focus its resources on markets which will (hopefully) turn a nice profit.

jetblue1965

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Glad to see B6 moving away from its alternative airport days of IAD/OAK/LGB and moving fully into DCA/SFO/LAX.

LGB simply has no growth potential.

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 4):

OAK-LAX and OAK-DEN could be a start.

JetBlueCLT

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 5):

I know SLC is going to 3 daily. That has no relevance though because SEA is loosing a Frequeincy from LGB. Maybe with the extra slot B6 could reinstate the extra SEA flight, or for something else..

ScottB

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:57 pm

About time. These daily redeyes serve no strategic importance to B6 other than utilization.

Well, as red-eyes, these flights really use very little aircraft time. The OAK-IAD round-trip uses perhaps three or four hours of useful aircraft time, and the LGB-IAD flights use about two hours. IMO this is more of a pretense to cut flights which are underperforming.

I wouldn't be surprised to see B6 consolidate its IAD and OAK operations to DCA/BWI and SFO, respectively.

I think it makes some sense for them to consolidate OAK to SFO; LGB-SFO would likely be a more competitive alternative to LAX/SNA-SFO with 7 daily round-trips, rather than 3 to SFO & 4 to OAK. IAD might survive to support BOS-IAD, but IAD-JFK is a weak performer.

And it goes head-to-head against WN -- and a 73G on a route like this likely has lower costs.

Jamake1

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 4):

I would love to see OAK-IAD on UA happen as well.
Come fly the sun.

as739x

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Agreed. UA has gone from 2 daily CR7 to 3 daily CR7 and 2 mainline rotating between 737's and Airbus. I think some of this was to drive VX from the market and B6 was caught in the crossfire. But your right, between VX/UA, I'm surprised B6 held on as long as they did, specially after up-guaging from E190 to 320's
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

jetbluefan1

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:30 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 8):
IMO this is more of a pretense to cut flights which are underperforming.

Probably. It could be a combination of both. After B6's pulldown of the IAD and OAK focus cities (back in what - 2006 and 2007?), it's surprising that the IAD-OAK flight remained. IAD-LGB is a little bit less surprising, since LGB is a focus city, but the market pairing still has atrocious yields.

I recall B6 once tried IAD-SAN, IAD-SJC, and even IAD-SMF (lol!)....they've really struggled with the IAD transcon markets. IAD-LGB used to be operated up to 4x and IAD-OAK up to 3x. My, how things have changed.

I think it makes some sense for them to consolidate OAK to SFO; LGB-SFO would likely be a more competitive alternative to LAX/SNA-SFO with 7 daily round-trips, rather than 3 to SFO & 4 to OAK.

Definitely agree with you here. 7x on LGB-SFO would allow B6 to maybe even pick up some decent business traffic from those who live in southern LA suburbs or northern OC.

IAD might survive to support BOS-IAD, but IAD-JFK is a weak performer.

Yep - Barger explicitly stated that BOS-IAD is a profitable route. However, with the elimination of the IAD-OAK/LGB flights, the fixed costs of maintaining the IAD station are now spread out over dramatically fewer ASM's.

If IAD-JFK is moved to DCA (doubtful IMO), then it will become even more difficult to justify keeping the IAD station open.

Quoting JetBlueCLT (Reply 7):
I know SLC is going to 3 daily. That has no relevance though because SEA is loosing a Frequeincy from LGB. Maybe with the extra slot B6 could reinstate the extra SEA flight, or for something else..

Yeah, at this point I don't think B6 even knows what to do with the LGB slots.

Quoting AS739X (Reply 10):
But your right, between VX/UA, I'm surprised B6 held on as long as they did, specially after up-guaging from E190 to 320's

I would think B6 upgauged the flight (and even went to 2x last summer) in order to lower the CASM for this market pairing, especially since it was competing against mainline VX and UA. But the extra capacity likely diluted yields to the point that B6 figured it was best to stop the red ink from flowing.

ASA

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:51 pm

Glad to see that none of the BOS flights were affected ...

I'm guessing they are performing at or above expectations!

IADLHR

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:07 am

I have often wondered how JFK-ABQ-JFK is doing. I have heard some people say it has not been performing well at all. However, it survived these cuts to make aircraft available for increased DCA service. So has JFK-ABQ-JFK started to perform better?

JetBlue1058
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:15 am

JFK-ABQ is one of the worse performers in the network. Granted this station is still new and not "mature" yet. The old JetBlue would have wrapped up service and moved on (like BNA,TUS) but they will give it a few years until making the decision to cut the route. Hopefully loads and yields improve, but it's not looking great right now.
JetBlue E190 seats, 5D and 16A= no better place in the world

jetbluefan1

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:50 am

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 13):

I have often wondered how JFK-ABQ-JFK is doing. I have heard some people say it has not been performing well at all. However, it survived these cuts to make aircraft available for increased DCA service. So has JFK-ABQ-JFK started to perform better?
Quoting JetBlue1058 (Reply 14):

JFK-ABQ is one of the worse performers in the network. Granted this station is still new and not "mature" yet. The old JetBlue would have wrapped up service and moved on (like BNA,TUS) but they will give it a few years until making the decision to cut the route. Hopefully loads and yields improve, but it's not looking great right now.

Yeah, it sucks (average fare of $151 - lower than many of B6's NY-Florida markets despite being double the distance).

That said, UA is dropping its daily ABQ-IAD flight. Although this is not a direct competitor to B6, I believe the B6 JFK flight will be the only nonstop link that ABQ has to the Northeast. Travelers may opt to use B6 to fly to Upstate NY/New England via JFK instead of taking another airline and connecting in a hub which is more out-of-the-way.

IADLHR

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:59 am

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 15):
That said, UA is dropping its daily ABQ-IAD flight. Although this is not a direct competitor to B6, I believe the B6 JFK flight will be the only nonstop link that ABQ has to the Northeast. Travelers may opt to use B6 to fly to Upstate NY/New England via JFK instead of taking another airline and connecting in a hub which is more out-of-the-way.

Whern is UA dropping IAD-ABQ? It was less than daily in early Jabnuary this year for a few weeks but as of the other day it showed daily from about the end of March all through the summer and beyond.

However, even with UA dropping IAD-ABQ there is still a WN flight BWI-ABQ which I understand is a big performer for WN. From late spring to late fall there are 2 flights BWI-ABQ which provides many connections to and from the NE to ABQ.

[Edited 2014-03-20 18:13:12]

airliner371

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:22 am

That leaves BOS (already served from DCA) and JFK at IAD. I see no reason why they would continue to serve IAD. I wouldn't be surprised if, when they announce the rest of the DCA adds, they announce the closure of IAD.

flyby519

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:27 am

I'm surprised B6 doesn't have IAD-FLL/MCO. Have these ever been tested?

jetbluefan1

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:43 am

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 18):
I'm surprised B6 doesn't have IAD-FLL/MCO. Have these ever been tested?

Yes. IAD-FLL was B6's first non-JFK market pairing, and B6 had success on this route. IAD-MCO was eventually added as well. However, both market pairings were terminated when B6 moved the capacity over to DCA.

icebird757

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:55 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 6):
Glad to see B6 moving away from its alternative airport days of IAD/OAK/LGB and moving fully into DCA/SFO/LAX.

LGB simply has no growth potential.

Oh but LGB does have growth potential. Just you wait and see.  
I kick chocks

psa1011

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:19 am

LGB - another airport that UA interestingly doesn't serve.

flyby519

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:29 am

Quoting icebird757 (Reply 20):

I agree, and hope things go as planned

jetbluefan1

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:53 am

Quoting icebird757 (Reply 20):
Quoting flyby519 (Reply 22):
I agree, and hope things go as planned

Can you elaborate? The new terminal which opened last year was a pretty big deal for B6 operationally.

flyby519

Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:33 am

SurfandSnow

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:13 am

I wouldn't really call these cuts "major"; in fact, none of these are even remotely surprising. I suspect VX and particularly WN will soon unveil much more "major" cuts to fund their own new DCA (and LGA) flying...

PBI-SJU, others have said this was not profitable, surprised they cut it year round

I give B6 credit for thinking outside the box with this one (and sticking it out for as long as they did), but who did they think would be on these flights? Most of South Florida's Puerto Rican population lives in Miami-Dade County or Broward County, not Palm Beach County. As such, FLL and MIA will be much more convenient for most Puerto Rican VFR travelers than PBI. Meanwhile, many tourists avoid Puerto Rico because they think it is too dangerous...

I guess we could chalk this one up as a VX victory, if VX doesn't cut the route to support its own upcoming DCA/LGA expansion. In any case this was a rather odd p2p route that just didn't fit into B6's network strategy or play off any of their strongholds, especially after they added nonstop SFO-FLL service...

I really am surprised about this one - why wasn't it cut years ago? I would love to know what kept this flight going long after OAK and IAD were both downgraded from focus cities to spokes...

After they cut ORD and FLL from LGB, I knew IAD would meet its fate sooner or later.

Don't be so sure. When B6 had the opportunity to get DCA beyond-perimeter slot exemption(s), DCA-SJU was their first choice and DCA-AUS was their second choice. They didn't even propose DCA-LGB. I doubt they'd be interested in DCA-AUS now that WN flies it, but I would be surprised if DCA-LGB was their first choice in any future beyond-perimeter slot exemption scenario. I think they'd rather fly DCA-LAX or DCA-SAN than DCA-LGB at this point, given the yield issue at LGB...

I agree - probably the victim of opportunity cost more than anything else. Likely would have survived if WN cut the route, but surprisingly WN has shown the RSW snowbirds a ton of LUV after the FL acquisition. B6 can still serve this traffic via JFK and BOS...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Noise

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:15 am

Surprised to see SFO-AUS get cut...I thought the tech industry would support traffic with those three airlines.

klwright69

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:57 am

These changes aren't a surprise. Leave most of the transcon flying from IAD to UA and be done with it. I doubt UA would ever even start IAD-LGB in our life times, don't hold your breathe on B6 returning. SFO-AUS is just too crowded.

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 13):
I have often wondered how JFK-ABQ-JFK is doing. I have heard some people say it has not been performing well at all.
Quoting JetBlue1058 (Reply 14):
JFK-ABQ is one of the worse performers in the network.

It should be a "no brainer" IAD-ABQ is one of the worst performers in their network. A long domestic flight with low yields is not a recipe for success. CO did EWR-ABQ on Saturdays only, back in the day. I don't think it lasted a year let alone a season, and EWR was a fortress hub for CO, and the economy was better then. Why does B6 think they could make it work from JFK in the present day?

The days of lowhanging fruit are gone.

jetbluefan1

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:50 am

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 24):
Trying to get a customs facility at LGB

Good article - maybe B6 and LB city officials can work out an agreement. This would really be a game-changer.

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 25):
I wouldn't really call these cuts "major"; in fact, none of these are even remotely surprising.

Agreed. B6 didn't even touch BOS, JFK, or FLL to fund the new DCA flights.

In any case this was a rather odd p2p route that just didn't fit into B6's network strategy or play off any of their strongholds, especially after they added nonstop SFO-FLL service...

Agreed - I think SFO-AUS was introduced with the intention of marketing it as a one-stop flight to FLL.

Although SFO-AUS is being dropped, the other AUS markets perform very well for B6.

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 27):
, and the economy was better then. Why does B6 think they could make it work from JFK in the present day?

Just because CO couldn't make it work doesn't mean B6 can't. B6 has lower costs, and by offering lower fares they stimulate markets. B6 has had success with some oddball routes that the major carriers ignore. I wouldn't wire ABQ off just yet.

The days of lowhanging fruit are gone.

It depends on how you look at it. In the US - yes, especially now that CHS and SAV have been added (and are gangbusters right out of the gate). But you could argue that major or large cities B6 does not yet serve - ATL, MSP, MKE, IND, CLE, CMH, BNA, STL, MCI - present growth opportunities.

B6 is also having no problem identifying new Latin American and Caribbean markets from FLL.

jfklganyc

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 11):

Yeah, at this point I don't think B6 even knows what to do with the LGB slots.

B6 would have had a hub there. A depressed area (i know it's not Detroit, but Long Beach could use any additional economic development it could get) would have had a full-fledged hub. All it took was allowing the 190s to use regional slots. Instead, the regional slots are empty...and in time, the airport will once again be a ghost town. B6 will eventually leave...and no one is going to replace them. Enjoy the drive to LAX!

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 15):

Yeah, it sucks (average fare of $151 - lower than many of B6's NY-Florida markets despite being double the distance).

They do fill it up though. And it is a subsidized link for 2 years. And if they want to keep it, they will subsidize again once that subsidy expires. Unless there is a fuel spike, I see this staying. B6 likes their once a day red eye transcons.

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 17):

That leaves BOS (already served from DCA) and JFK at IAD. I see no reason why they would continue to serve IAD. I wouldn't be surprised if, when they announce the rest of the DCA adds, they announce the closure of IAD.

IAD is an important destination for the international carriers that B6 feeds at JFK. It also is a business route to BOS. I think it has some staying power

flyiguy

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 17):
Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 29):
IAD is an important destination for the international carriers that B6 feeds at JFK. It also is a business route to BOS. I think it has some staying power

Rumor has it that the only thing keeping IAD open is the LGB flight due to not being able to operatre it from DCA. Now that B6 is pulling it, there is almost certainty that IAD will close and all ops will be from DCA. They currently only have a handful of JFK and BOS flights, all of which can be done rom DCA.

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

ScottB

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:56 pm

B6 would have had a hub there. A depressed area (i know it's not Detroit, but Long Beach could use any additional economic development it could get) would have had a full-fledged hub. All it took was allowing the 190s to use regional slots.

Except that the E190's aren't eligible to use the regional slots under the city's noise ordinance, and plenty of people living in Long Beach would just as soon see the airport close instead of seeing expanded service. Moreover, there is reason for concern that amending the noise ordinance might end up voiding its grandfathered exemption from the federal prohibition on local authorities imposing slot rules.

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 11):
Yep - Barger explicitly stated that BOS-IAD is a profitable route. However, with the elimination of the IAD-OAK/LGB flights, the fixed costs of maintaining the IAD station are now spread out over dramatically fewer ASM's.

Well, the IAD station isn't any worse-off in that respect than the BWI station, and it gets far better yields to BOS than BWI.

IAD is an important destination for the international carriers that B6 feeds at JFK.

There's no reason for B6 to keep a money-losing route just for international partners -- unless they're willing to compensate B6 for those losses.

Quoting noise (Reply 26):
Surprised to see SFO-AUS get cut...I thought the tech industry would support traffic with those three airlines.

The tech industry is more inclined than others to have meetings by teleconference, and they're also competing with a fourth airline to the Bay Area, WN, which operates SJC-AUS twice daily. And SJC-AUS is better-positioned to capture tech industry traffic from the South Bay.

jfklganyc

Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:45 pm

it's not money losing. those international partners give jetblue a lot of money for those seats or enough money to make it worth their while. that's why jfk iad is staying

flyiguy

Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:16 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 31):
Well, the IAD station isn't any worse-off in that respect than the BWI station, and it gets far better yields to BOS than BWI.

The issue here is though you are paying B6 employees that have been with the comapny top dollar when BWI is contracted. I'm sure there is a big pay gap in the middle of those pay scales.

FLY

dbo861

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:03 am

I guess we could chalk this one up as a VX victory, if VX doesn't cut the route to support its own upcoming DCA/LGA expansion. In any case this was a rather odd p2p route that just didn't fit into B6's network strategy or play off any of their strongholds, especially after they added nonstop SFO-FLL service...

I totally agree, and I think VX has much more to gain as a result of this drop than United. VX will draw the B6 type customer more than UA..assuming their airfares are similar. I'd choose VX any day over UA, even if the ticket was $100 more for the roundtrip. UA will still get the international connecting traffic from AUS and the Mileage Plus members. I think the two carriers can co-exist on this route.

jfklganyc

Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Quoting flyiguy (Reply 33):

The issue here is though you are paying B6 employees that have been with the company top dollar

That has to be the funniest comment on a.net I have seen in years!

B6 paying Airport or Ramp crew TOP DOLLAR?

Those B6 employees likely qualify for food stamps. Sad but true.

kgaiflyer

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:05 pm

When pmCO flew EWR-OAK, it seemed to have reasonable loads.

However, sUA's IAD-SFO is big business--even occasionally utilizing 777s during peak periods.
A 319 flying IAD-OAK to my uneducated eye looks like a reasonable add-on to Dulles' SFO service.

klwright69

Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 28):
, and the economy was better then. Why does B6 think they could make it work from JFK in the present day?

Just because CO couldn't make it work doesn't mean B6 can't. B6 has lower costs, and by offering lower fares they stimulate markets. B6 has had success with some oddball routes that the major carriers ignore. I wouldn't wire ABQ off just yet.

Anything is possible. It may turn out to be successful. But in the short term, it's not looking so hot as one would expect.

flyiguy

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 35):
That has to be the funniest comment on a.net I have seen in years!

B6 paying Airport or Ramp crew TOP DOLLAR?

Those B6 employees likely qualify for food stamps. Sad but true.

When you put in the fact that their full time staff are paid to work 2-3 flights in 8 hours and making $15.00 an hour or more which is way more than minimum wage, then i'd say they are throwing money away. The only way i can see them staying profitable at IAD would be to contract out like they did alot of their services i.e. deicing when they moved most of their ops to DCA.

FLY

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos