Gonzalo

RE: MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 43

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 147):
That's why the wreckage debris is more important at the moment...

Thank you Mandala !!!

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 149):
Guess it will be a while before they reach the WA coast though!

A long trip indeed !! Although the modern Frigates can be very fast compared to other ships....

There is sea fog in the área of search, another day without results....    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mis...arching-ends-without-result-n59836

Rgds.
G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

Burkhard

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 149):
Germany anounced today that they will be sending a couple of navy frigates to support the search efforts.

They will need two weeks to arrive at location I'm afraid, but to me it indicates that there is far more Information available now than public...

akberc

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Quote:
“The ping timings got longer,” Inmarsat spokesman Chris McLaughlin stated via email.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...issing_airliner_s_flight_path.html

Was there a ping at 2:11, or should there have been one? If pings happen after no message for one hour, when did the first hour start? The categorical statement above, if true, would imply a very narrow path and turn around Aceh, and that any westward component of the heading would only be possible south of the equator.

In other words, the 3:11, 4:11 and 5:11 round-trips would have to be very close together, and only the last two significantly slower, as the tangent line breaks away from the circle with the satellite at its center.

Alfons

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 110):
They lower prices if they're not selling well. If they're selling well, they'll increase the price of the bandwidth.

you're right if there would be no competition (monopol). And maybe there's no. But if there is, the providers will take the opportunity to increase customer volume, and in a competitive environment, the price will play a role. But I don't know this market obviously. So if there is a lack of alternatives, the price might go up. And that won't play a role once a global policy maker, will bring out a global policy... .

ExpatExp

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 136):
Wow! What system is that? Sign me up tomorrow for that one! Try multiply that by 100 perhaps 1000 for 1 flight hour, depending on what you really want to put in it.

No, seriously... ACARS on a real high usage package is about $0.50 per message, if you're a stingy user on a stingy allowance program, it's $5 per message on a good day. This excludes satcom volume costs.
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 141):
Note that I said per ticket, not per flight. In an industry where margins per passenger are in many cases measured in individual US$, ½ a dollar is significant money.

Yes, exactly -- there is likely a cost that a majority of people would consider "worth it", and it would be heavily dependent on the influences mentioned above. What that cost is, I don't know…

320tech

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Quoting art (Reply 138):
For satellite images that can be released into the public domain, why do they not stick them on the net and invite the public to review them and flag the image as of interest / not of interest?

In fact this is being done.
http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/mh370_indian_ocean

The site doesn't load for me, but maybe it works for others. There is some value in this, as it's useful to know areas that are tagged as not containing anything of interest. It doesn't take special training to see that there's no debris in a certain grid.

This was also done for the Steve Fossett search, although nothing was found, as far as I know.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

AeroVega

Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:10 pm

It appears that whoever was flying the plane did his best not to be detected or found. I'm afraid he may have deliberately flown to one of the deepest points of the Indian ocean (such as the Diamantina Deep, 1125 km west-southwest of Perth according to Wikipedia).

hivue

Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Quoting AeroVega (Reply 156):
It appears that whoever was flying the plane did his best not to be detected or found. I'm afraid he may have deliberately flown to one of the deepest points of the Indian ocean

Take a look at a globe of the earth. If you postulate an aircraft with no human controlling, place it (e.g.) in the Malacca Strait, and allow it to fly off in a random direction, the best odds are that it will head for the remoter parts of the Indian Ocean.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

capri

Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:53 pm

how about debris drifted to Antarctica with all those furious and screaming winds, is anyone patrolling the shores of that continent???

David L

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:05 pm

Quoting capri (Reply 158):
how about debris drifted to Antarctica with all those furious and screaming winds, is anyone patrolling the shores of that continent???

I think the various navies involved might know a thing or two about how the sea works. They'll look where the evidence points them.  

flyingturtle

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 159):
I think the various navies involved might know a thing or two about how the sea works. They'll look where the evidence points them.
http://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/map/wind/oceania#map_container for example...  

For floating debris, the wind might be more important than oceanic currents. This weather data is essentially something like a "vector field" in mathematics. Given the place where they found floating debris, they can calculate back into the past and tell where the plane crashed with a given probability.

In Alpine rescue, there are statistical models that work off topographic databases. They model where lost people, devoid of any navigation equipment (GPS, maps, compass) are most likely to go.

David

[Edited 2014-03-23 12:37:19]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

abba

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 16):
It might be important - but it could be important for exactly the opposite reason you think it is. (Do you not see the flipside of the authorities *not* saying they've checked all passengers and crew, and cleared them all?) Much of this type of speculation is like that - it works equally well both ways, and it's down to your own personal biases how you see it.

I don't think it works both ways. Have the authorities found that there were terrorists on board I highly doubt that it would not have leaked somehow.

Quoting iberiadc852 (Reply 28):
In the same way, let alone I don't think all terrorists in this world are already known by authorities, even if they knew the ones in the aircraft but suspected this was only a step in the plot, they better should keep it in secret too.

Then you are into very highly elaborated theories that I do not believe. The 777 is not hidden somewhere ready to be send to New York as a primitive bomb.

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 71):
If you want to look at the captain, why not look into the FO. I think the media prefers to go after the captain just because he has a simulator. The FO is a different story altogether. Apart from the cockpit visitors a while back, not many is known publicly. Talk with some in MH and a potentially dark story comes out. But, given his family's background, it's likely that it's being kept quiet at the moment. We'll see how it goes.

The things that has been told about the FO is to my knowledge - even if they are pretty naughty - of the kind that does not explain a suicidal behavior that would involve the death of a full 777-200 load of pax. The FO seems to be a person who lived the sweet life. He seems not to be one who were on the edge of killing himself and a lot of other people. Doing that takes either a high amount of some kind of fanaticism or anger combined with depression.

Finn350

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:00 pm

CNN reports that the Malaysian officials have said in a written statement that the turn was not pre-programmed.

Whoever turned the plane didn't pre-program the turn into the FMS. This theory can now be laid into the rest.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/23/wo...malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html

Quote:
No evidence turn was preprogrammed, Malaysia says

Malaysian officials, in a written update Sunday on the search, cast doubt on the theory that someone, perhaps a pilot, preprogrammed the aircraft to make an unexpected left turn during the flight.

"The last ACARS transmission, sent at 1:07 a.m., showed nothing unusual. The 1:07 a.m. transmission showed a normal routing all the way to Beijing," it read.

The Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System measures thousands of data points and sends the information via satellite to the airline, the engine manufacturer and other authorized parties, according to CNN aviation and airline correspondent Richard Quest.

Had the plane been preprogrammed to change course, the ACARS system should have reported it during its last communication at 1:07. The ACARS is supposed to report new information every 30 minutes, but it was silent at 1:37.

David L

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 160):
For floating debris, the wind might be more important than oceanic currents.

Well, yes, but I'd include that in "how the sea works" - i.e. I don't think the various navies are likely to forget to take wind and currents into account.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 160):
In Alpine rescue, there are statistical models that work off topographic databases. They model where lost people, devoid of any navigation equipment (GPS, maps, compass) are most likely to go.

Just head for the retaurant on the Schilthorn and wait for James Bond.

AeroVega

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Quoting hivue (Reply 157):
It appears that whoever was flying the plane did his best not to be detected or found. I'm afraid he may have deliberately flown to one of the deepest points of the Indian ocean

Take a look at a globe of the earth. If you postulate an aircraft with no human controlling, place it (e.g.) in the Malacca Strait, and allow it to fly off in a random direction, the best odds are that it will head for the remoter parts of the Indian Ocean.

I didn't say remote, I said deep. As in below the surface. Somewhere were a plane resting on the seabed would be very difficult to find.

Viscount724

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Quoting atnight (Reply 108):
I have a question, is Boeing doing anything to assist locating the airplane? I have not heard anything or seen any news report concerning Boeing and whether its assisting in any way.

Yes they are. Boeing's website says they are assisting the NTSB on site.

DeltaMD90

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Quoting Finn350 (Reply 162):
CNN reports that the Malaysian officials have said in a written statement that the turn was not pre-programmed.

Wait a minute there... your quote says this:

Quote:
No evidence turn was preprogrammed, Malaysia says

That is different than what you said. Did the Malaysians actually say the turn was not pre-programmed or do they just not have evidence of it? If it's the latter, then the turn could have been pre-planned, they just don't have evidence of it

Finn350

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 166):
That is different than what you said. Did the Malaysians actually say the turn was not pre-programmed or do they just not have evidence of it? If it's the latter, then the turn could have been pre-planned, they just don't have evidence of it

Yes, they said they have no evidence it was pre-programmed. Or more precisely, the 1:07 am ACARS transmission did not contain the turn deviating from the flight plan. It could have been pre-programmed after 1:07 am. If we believe in a pilot executing a pre-meditated plan, the turn certainly was pre-planned in his mind.

fooflyboy

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:26 pm

It appears that whoever was flying the plane did his best not to be detected or found.

I fear he/she/they might have been successful.

The water search is getting all of the media attention, but am I correct in assuming that the northern arc is being actively searched as well?

Lindenwold

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:01 pm

All these satellite images and still nothing. I know the Indian Ocean is huge, but it's still frustrating.

osloflyer

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 pm

So many unanswered questions still,

In the video from the crews security screening, why are they walking together? seems odd to me, is the crew lounge outside security?
When was the crew assigned this trip? What about the flight attendants? Training records, etc etc.

Did they perhaps just miss the last digit of the frequency change, I want to hear the audio of the last sign off.

This is getting really frustrating.

rc135x

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Quoting fooflyboy (Reply 168):
am I correct in assuming that the northern arc is being actively searched as well?

This is a worthy inquiry.

Is there any official indication that the "northern arc" is still under examination, particularly for the crashed remains of the airplane as well as any indication that it might be on the ground following a controlled landing? With the focus on the southern Indian Ocean west of Perth is there a tacit acknowledgement that even if the current possibilities of debris do not pan out, that the evidence is strongest in support of the "southern arc"?

The dispatch of the German frigates with deep-water search equipment suggests (given their ~2 week transit time) an emphasis on trying to detect and locate the CVR/FDR before they cease transmitting. Again, one can infer that the expectation of finding the airplane is clearly along the "southern arc".

The Talking Heads who have espoused the "on the ground in Pakistan" and "landed at Isfahan," along with the "friends of friends" who have touted their "inside" sources at DHS and other alphabet soup agencies have been amazingly NORDO.
KC-135A, A(RT), D, E, E(RT), Q, R, EC-135A, C, G, L, RC-135S, U, V, W, X, TC-135S, W

capri

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Quoting osloflyer (Reply 170):

Everyone is asking same questions you are, but unlike western countries, Malaysians officials have other ideas to keep hold of all these infos until investigation is over

hivue

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:26 pm

When was the crew assigned this trip?

The captain was a last minute substitution.

David L

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Quoting capri (Reply 172):
Everyone is asking same questions you are, but unlike western countries, Malaysians officials have other ideas to keep hold of all these infos until investigation is over

It's not exactly a straight forward search and investigation.

WingedMigrator

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Whoever turned the plane didn't pre-program the turn into the FMS. This theory can now be laid into the rest.

It wasn't a theory. It used to be an "established fact". From rcair1's Sanity Check:

Quoting rcair1:
On 3/18 authorities reported that new way-points had been entered into the a/c FMS BEFORE the last communication at 1:19.

Which goes to show that we should be very wary of "established facts"

akberc

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:03 pm

Quoting rc135x (Reply 171):
The Talking Heads who have espoused the "on the ground in Pakistan" and "landed at Isfahan," along with the "friends of friends" who have touted their "inside" sources at DHS and other alphabet soup agencies have been amazingly NORDO.

Sadly, they've done their job: reinforcing stereotypes that we struggle with every day. And the credibility of the 'ex-generals' will not be hurt -- they will be back again there is a news story in the Eastern Hemisphere that has to be spun.

Kaiarahi

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:18 pm

That's NOT what they said.

"The last ACARS transmission, sent at 1:07 a.m., showed nothing unusual. The 1:07 a.m. transmission showed a normal routing all the way to Beijing,"

NOT the same thing. A further 14 minutes elapsed AFTER the ACARS transmission before transponder data was lost at 1721UTC.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

hivue

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:22 pm

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 177):
Quoting Finn350 (Reply 162):CNN reports that the Malaysian officials have said in a written statement that the turn was not pre-programmed.
That's NOT what they said.

Quoting Finn350 (Reply 162):"The last ACARS transmission, sent at 1:07 a.m., showed nothing unusual. The 1:07 a.m. transmission showed a normal routing all the way to Beijing,"

This is all old news anyway, isn't it?

captainx

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:23 pm

CNN reports an altitude drop to 12kft right after the turn. If there was smoke in the cockpit they may have shut off much of the cockpit electronics including the transponder.

DeltaMD90

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Quoting captainx (Reply 179):
CNN reports an altitude drop to 12kft right after the turn. If there was smoke in the cockpit they may have shut off much of the cockpit electronics including the transponder.

But no comms? Did the fire shut that down? Did the flight crew themselves shut it off (without making at least one call?) The fire incapacitated the crew but didn't destroy the aircraft for 7 hours? Why did the crew fly the way they did? (not trying to grill you, just asking these questions in general)

I'm not ruling fire out completely, but the events that would have to take place would have to be pretty wild

Kaiarahi

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Quoting hivue (Reply 178):
This is all old news anyway, isn't it?

Yes and no. It's an added detail as to when the new waypoints may/may not have been input. But the distorted interpretation is new - and wrong.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

Lindenwold

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Did they ever confirm that other pilot contacting 370 (mumbling and such)?

flyenthu

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:31 pm

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/23/wo....html

I think this was not (at least on this forum) a sure thing, and the pre-programing issue has been in doubt for a while- except that the media was reporting it as an absolute. All we know is that the ACARS stopped transmitting between 1:07 and 1:37L.

flyenthu

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:39 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 180):
but the events that would have to take place would have to be pretty wild

This whole incident is nothing short of wild and bizarre.

Quoting Lindenwold (Reply 182):

NYT is reporting the "mumbling" sound as a fact. Check this interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/wo...oth-routine-and-flight-vanish.html

David L

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Quoting WingedMigrator (Reply 175):
From rcair1's Sanity Check:

Quoting rcair1:
On 3/18 authorities reported that new way-points had been entered into the a/c FMS BEFORE the last communication at 1:19.

I don't want to labour the point but what was the source? I only saw "media reports" that someone had said that. I never actually heard it "from the horse's mouth", so to speak, but I may have missed it. I haven't seen anything to convince me that it was anything other than speculation from an outside source based on the announcement that they seemed to be following waypoints.

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 184):
NYT is reporting the "mumbling" sound as a fact. Check this interesting article:

I don't think it is. It only mentions calls by two other MH flights which got no reply. The story was denied very early in the investigation at a press conference.

[Edited 2014-03-23 15:56:00]

hivue

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 185):
"from the horse's mouth", so to speak

One of the most difficult aspects of trying to follow this whole bizarre incident is trying to identify "the horse." As near as I can tell so far there actually is not one.

David L

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:02 pm

Quoting hivue (Reply 186):
One of the most difficult aspects of trying to follow this whole bizarre incident is trying to identify "the horse." As near as I can tell so far there actually is not one.

I think we've already established that you and I have been interpreting things differently.  Smile

I'm talking about the investigators at the press conferences rather than reports from "sources" in the NYT, WSJ and CNN, etc.

Edit: Whoops, it's important not to forget the smileys!

[Edited 2014-03-23 16:05:21]

hivue

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:12 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 187):
I think we've already established that you and I have been interpreting things differently.

I'm talking about the investigators at the press conferences rather than reports from "sources" in the NYT, WSJ and CNN, etc.

So am I. 

wjcandee

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:12 pm

Did the flight crew themselves shut it off (without making at least one call?)

Not impossible. What's being said in the cockpit and out of it are amazingly-dissimilar.

AF447 -- no Mayday.

ValuJet -- What's the reason for return? Captain (in cockpit to FO): "Fire!" FO (to ATC): "Smoke in the cockpit, smoke in the cabin" -- I have always blamed him for creating unnecessary drama and confusion later by not using the words told to him by the captain, substituting his own judgment. It WAS fire, and the investigation would have gone faster and better had he said what he should have said. There was fire coming through the floor of the cabin at that time.

777Jet

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:23 pm

Quoting hivue (Reply 173):
When was the crew assigned this trip?

The captain was a last minute substitution.

Sorry If I missed it, but was this confirmed by authorities?

This came up a week ago, and then was apparently a rumor... So, it is fact that the Captain was a last minute sub?

Regardless, if he was involved, he would be aware that being called to operate the flight at the last minute would make him look less likely to be involved. I think the argument could work either way. Maybe he has had a plan in the making for some time and was waiting until a last minute call up on the right flight to execute it which might take some heat of him. Similarly, maybe he wasn't involved because he didn't even know he would be on that flight.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

hivue

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 190):
Sorry If I missed it, but was this confirmed by authorities?

This came up a week ago, and then was apparently a rumor... So, it is fact that the Captain was a last minute sub?

I never heard that it was refuted by authorities. Perhaps I am guilty of I'm overstating it. (See my prior posts regarding "the horse.") 

[Edited 2014-03-23 16:33:05]

Starlionblue

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:36 pm

In the video from the crews security screening, why are they walking together? seems odd to me, is the crew lounge outside security?

I don't see how them walking together indicates anything beyond the fact that they were walking together. They might have bumped into each other outside security for all we know.

This was debunked in the first few days.

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 184):

I see no mention of mumbling or voice contact post-contact-loss in that article.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

WingedMigrator

The fire incapacitated the crew but didn't destroy the aircraft for 7 hours? Why did the crew fly the way they did?

Under a fire scenario:
We don't know that the crew was ever incapacitated.
We also don't know that the crew was "flying" the aircraft in the sense of directing its movements.

Fly-by-wire with damaged "wire" (harnesses) could get really strange and complicated.

Fastphilly

The problem is the Malaysian Govt. not being forthcoming with news to improve the search. Now we hear of a 12,000 altitude which diminishes the range.

panampaul

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 pm

There appears to be new informationi about MH370 that says it executed a high dive to 12,000 feet before going off radar

MH370 Descent to 12,000 Feet Indicates Possible Fire or Explosion

Quote:
As dawn breaks Monday over the Indian Ocean, new information on the missing Malaysia Airlines plane is coming to light.

Military radar that tracked Flight 370 between 1:19 a.m. and 2:40 a.m. shows that the plane not only made a sharp turn over the south China Sea, but that it was also flying at an altitude of 12,000 feet before it disappeared from radar screens. This is significant because the question that has been continuously raised is why the plane made that turn in the first place, heading away from its destination of Beijing, China.

Earlier on Sunday,...

Lindenwold

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 192):
I see no mention of mumbling or voice contact post-contact-loss in that article.

like wise..

DeltaMD90

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:47 pm

Why do the Malaysians seem to have such a hard time figuring out what the plane did from their radar? Do their radars suck that badly that they take weeks to figure out simple info such as height? Or is it not that simple? I guess there is a possibility they knew for a while and shared it with the other search teams and not the public but it still seems like they're being very incompetent

awthompson

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:03 am

So now all of the efforts in the Southern Ocean could be a waste of time and resources. I don't personally think that the debris satellites have spotted will turn out to be related to 9M-MRO. Perhaps the aircraft came down somewhere completely different! This gets more convoluted!

DeltaMD90

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:06 am

Quoting awthompson (Reply 198):

So now all of the efforts in the Southern Ocean could be a waste of time and resources.

How so? The radar analysis has nothing to do with the satellites and pings. It may shed more light on what happened early on but shouldn't have anything to do with the possible plots outside of radar contact

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos