usflyguy
Topic Author

WN OMA-LAX Going Daily In August, Ending in Sept.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:27 am

This route started about a year ago as Saturday only and as of August will be daily, except Saturday.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

QANTAS747-438

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:37 am

None of this info is correct. LAX has never had OMA service. WN will be starting Saturday only service this Summer and will not be daily. This is as per the schedule thru OCT 31.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

dbo861

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:41 am

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 1):

None of this info is correct. LAX has never had OMA service. WN will be starting Saturday only service this Summer and will not be daily. This is as per the schedule thru OCT 31.

You're correct that it begins this summer, but looking at the website, beginning in June it is daily except for Saturday.

[Edited 2014-03-24 00:45:56]

SANFan

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:34 pm

There seem to be a few schedule additions happening this summer/fall that are not announced formally and have been added independently of the schedule releases. (SFO-STL is another one.)

Another interesting new tactic from the current WN...

bb

dbo861

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 3):
Another interesting new tactic from the current WN...

There have been some recent 73Gs added to the fleet that will probably be operational before the DAL restrictions end and the DCA/LGA flights begin. These might be some opportune summer routes added before these extra aircraft are needed.

raddek

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Wow... What a random and wierd route. It is totally out of left field. WN could be testing the waters to see if the route will be able to sustain profits. But with the limited gate space in LAX, it suprises me that this would be added. There are tons of cities that I am sure WN serves that are larger markets that would love to have an LAX non-stop.

IADLHR

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Quoting raddek (Reply 5):
Wow... What a random and wierd route. It is totally out of left field. WN could be testing the waters to see if the route will be able to sustain profits. But with the limited gate space in LAX, it suprises me that this would be added. There are tons of cities that I am sure WN serves that are larger markets that would love to have an LAX non-stop.

I OMA has had LAX service before. I think UA did it once upon a time and Midwest Express had it at one time.

IADLHR

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:06 pm

I am surprised that WN hasnt started BWI-OMA-BWI. Who knows that could be on the horizon too.

deltacto

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 6):
I OMA has had LAX service before. I think UA did it once upon a time and Midwest Express had it at one time.

United flew OMA-LAX starting before deregulation.
It shows in their June 1972, June 1976, and August 1982 timetables.

http://www.departedflights.com/UA060172p28.html

OMA-LAX on UA does not show in the July 1983 OAG or any subsequent OAG

Midwest Express started flying OMA-LAX by 1995

http://www.departedflights.com/YX050195.html

They flew the route at least through June 2001 but dropped it by September 2002

IADLHR

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Quoting deltacto (Reply 8):

I wou

I would say there are other periods when it was flown too. However, back in the late 70s I do remember vistiiing cousins who lived in OMA and flying nonstop from there to LAX for work. I also think that UA did it on an RJ for awhile after Midwest express dropped the route.

For the record, if memory serves, I think there is a good chance that UA also flew LGA-OMA back in the 70s , maybe late 60s, and that flight might even have been the one that went on to LAX,

iowaman

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Quoting dbo861 (Reply 2):
You're correct that it begins this summer, but looking at the website, beginning in June it is daily except for Saturday.

Interestingly enough it appears to completely end September 8. Not even the Saturday non-stop sticks around.

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 7):
I am surprised that WN hasnt started BWI-OMA-BWI. Who knows that could be on the horizon too.

A BWI or DCA flight would be a nice add. OMA is currently one of most underserved cities from DCA.

OMA-MCO may work too, but I suspect loads would be a little weak during off peak times.

IADLHR

RE: WN OMA-LAX Going Daily In August, Ending In Sept.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:22 pm

Quoting iowaman (Reply 10):
OMA-MCO may work too, but I suspect loads would be a little weak during off peak times.

Didnt WN have Saturday only service at one time OMA-MCO?

The reality is that there is a lot of disposable income in Omaha and Nebraska, due ti Berkshire Hathaway and Union Pacific and others,traveling around the US and world from OMA.

n471wn

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:32 pm

Bottom line is that WN does not have sufficient lift for what they want to accomplish---losing 88 717's is a big hole to fill and having more 737-800's with 175 seats and up to 10 used 737-700's will not be enough--Hopefully WN is sourcing other used 737 aircraft

Beardown91737

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Sounds like a good vacation route for WN. I did think that UA would be flying it year round. Maybe it would work with E-jets.

ExpressJet flew ONT-OMA for about a year during their branded flying (XE) period.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

joeljack

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Quoting n471wn (Reply 12):
Sounds like a good vacation route for WN. I did think that UA would be flying it year round. Maybe it would work with E-jets.

ExpressJet flew ONT-OMA for about a year during their branded flying (XE) period.

yes they did, 2x daily for the entire time they were flying independently. They were also doing OMA-SAN 2x daily. I remember reading that ExpressJet publicly stated by the time they ended, these were two of their strongest routes.

I wonder if bookings are good for WN, could this go year-round? I would guess it could make it year-round at 1x daily with a few connecting opportunities through LAX which ExpressJet, Frontier or Midwest never had. They all relied 100% on O/D vs maybe WN could get 25% connecting traffic to really make this route work.

laca773

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:22 pm

This information is also incorrect. Frontier had also flown this route back in 2011-2012 with E90s. It wasn't always daily, and obviously it's not around anymore.

usflyguy
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Oh, guess I was recalling when it was announced and not when it started. Anyway, Southwest.com does show it daily though, and that is how I came across it. OMA-LAX on a Tuesday and LAX-OMA on a Thursday in August. Before telling someone that their info is incorrect, you should look it up.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

usflyguy
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 pm

http://southwest.investorroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1876

From the news release above... "Los Angeles and Omaha, daily nonstop roundtrip begins June 9, 2014, at introductory fares as low as $159 one-way "

iowaman

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:07 pm

Interestingly enough it appears BOI-LAX will also be starting in June and ending sometime in September, although it is Saturday only.

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 11):
Didnt WN have Saturday only service at one time OMA-MCO?

F9 is currently offering it twice weekly, although that is ending this Saturday, March 29. WN did try Saturday only OMA-MCO in 2008 and 2010, and maybe more times than that.

QANTAS747-438

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:07 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 16):
Before telling someone that their info is incorrect, you should look it up.

I did look it up. It's not showing on any internal schedules as operating in September or October.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

N1120A

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:22 am

WN operates a one-stop to OMA from LAX. I'm surprised UA doesn't run this with some ratty CR7.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos