Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wxman11
Topic Author

Virgin America Maintenance Base

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:06 pm

this topic may have been posted and answered but I figure I ask it again.

with the upcoming changes coming to SFO, for 10 points, where would Virgin America maintenance hanger will be at?

I understand that Airbuses have low cost maintenance care, however, given that VX hub is here at SFO, it's only right to say they should have a maintenance hangar like that of UAL.

also, where does VX do their maintenance care at? That is to say, when the aircraft has to go through it's interior inspection, where is it performed? Do they ferry to say LAS to some 3rd party company?

thnks

LAXintl

RE: Virgin America Maintenance Base

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:18 pm

VX contracts out maintenance. Planes can be seen in places like SBD and MIA. Day to day work is handled by Lufthansa Technik on a total care support package in the field.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

sevenheavy

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:21 pm

I could be wrong but I think VX currently has their MX checks done by a third party company in MIA. I can't recall the name but I'm sure someone familiar or local to MIA will know

There is no real need for them to go to the considerable expense of building their own hanger, particularly somewhere expensive like SFO. I'm sure VX has done their sums but I'm sure the cost of the fuel to ferry the aircraft is more than offset by the lower MX costs the third party company can provide. To further illustrate the possible cost savings I have a feeling HA sends their B717s to the very same facility in MIA......or at least they did.

Not sure about line MX. I would assume VX have their own people at SFO/LAX and contract out everywhere else
So long 701, it was nice knowing you.

rojo

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Quoting sevenheavy (Reply 2):
I could be wrong but I think VX currently has their MX checks done by a third party company in MIA. I can't recall the name but I'm sure someone familiar or local to MIA will know

There is no real need for them to go to the considerable expense of building their own hanger, particularly somewhere expensive like SFO. I'm sure VX has done their sums but I'm sure the cost of the fuel to ferry the aircraft is more than offset by the lower MX costs the third party company can provide. To further illustrate the possible cost savings I have a feeling HA sends their B717s to the very same facility in MIA......or at least they did.

Not sure about line MX. I would assume VX have their own people at SFO/LAX and contract out everywhere else

For MIA, you can ferry the airplanes to/from FLL where they have schedule service. No need to ferry them to/from SFO.

MIA has AAR and Commercial Jet offering MRO solutions to airlines.

sevenheavy

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Quoting rojo (Reply 3):

I did think that might work, assuming you have back to back MX schedules so the aircraft going in for maintenance can be replaced by one coming out.

It's a fairly common (and very efficient) procedure. I know VS does this in HKG with aircraft positioning to MNL

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):

Interesting. I assumed their LAX/SFO ops were large enough to efficiently support in house line MX. I guess they have the advantage of being able to start from scratch and therefore MX choices were far more straightforward.

I wonder if there is a tipping point at which it becomes more cost effective to handle things in house. VX does not seem particularly against employing its own staff-I believe they have a lot of their own airport CS staff....

wxman11
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:16 pm

But I heard that once the cargo warehouse is completed at plot 9, that it would be rented out to PR/SQ cargo ops in which the current building SQ has at plot 12 would be use for as a VX hangar. could it be that during this time, VX was sending their planes to FLL or MIA for maintenance care and such while they waited for the airport to open a spot for them?

EA CO AS

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Quoting sevenheavy (Reply 4):
Interesting. I assumed their LAX/SFO ops were large enough to efficiently support in house line MX.

Line maintenance and heavy maintenance are two different things though; the heavy stuff - requiring hangars and other support - can be more efficiently done by a third party.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

sevenheavy

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 6):

That's exactly what I was referring to. I understand why the heavy checks are outsourced but I'm curious as to what kind of critical mass is required to make in house line MX Cost effective.

At the moment if I am reading LAX's post correctly VX outsource both line mx and the heavy checks, albeit on different contracts

7673mech

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Quoting sevenheavy (Reply 7):
That's exactly what I was referring to. I understand why the heavy checks are outsourced but I'm curious as to what kind of critical mass is required to make in house line MX Cost effective.

At the moment if I am reading LAX's post correctly VX outsource both line mx and the heavy checks, albeit on different contracts

Some of it needs to be done in house.
Line maintenance that is - it can not be 100% farmed out. (The FAA prefers some in house work - not necessarily a regulation).
And if it is - then it needs to be monitored very closely by in house maintenance personnel.
Somebody correct me but I thought LAX/SFO was in house? or were those just the reps that monitor vendors?

as739x

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:33 pm

VX does it's own A checks at remote parking at SFO, and I believe LAX as well. VX has a standing agreement with SFO for a certain amount of overnight remote parking spots (the exact number I do not know). Unfortunately for them at this time, they may have to start dragging there planes to Plot-41 ( Near SuperBay on the north side of the field for those unfamiliar). They've been told that they can not longer use spot 103-105 on the back side of the Int'l G concourse past 8am, as this is also used for holding UA aircraft that are waiting for gates. And with the additional pressures of the increasing amount of DL and US aircraft spending the night, spots are coming at a premium.

Quoting wxman11 (Thread starter):
with the upcoming changes coming to SFO, for 10 points, where would Virgin America maintenance hanger will be at?

There is no real estate for VX to build a hangar if they ever did go that route. I have scene them rent out spots from AA in the East Super Bay for engine changes and other heavier MM issues. However, with the T1 remodel, even the building that house SkyWest facilities and PR Cargo will be relocated.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

LAXintl

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:53 am

Quoting as739x (Reply 9):
VX does it's own A checks at remote parking at SFO, and I believe LAX as well.

Dont get confused. "own" really means Lufthansa Tecnik.

VX has a nose to tail 10-year contract including line maintenance at all stations, plus stores and component work.

Here was the press release:
http://www.aviationpros.com/press_re...clusive-partner-for-virgin-america

=

VX does have maintenance supervisory staff at large stations like SFO & LAX, but bulk of actual work is done by LHT.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

as739x

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:48 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 10):

Quoting as739x (Reply 9):
VX does it's own A checks at remote parking at SFO, and I believe LAX as well.

Dont get confused. "own" really means Lufthansa Tecnik.

VX has a nose to tail 10-year contract including line maintenance at all stations, plus stores and component work.

Here was the press release:

Great point. I will rephrase.......VX has reserved spot and can rent hangar space for Tecnik do do there MM services at SFO  
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

INFINITI329

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:10 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 10):

If seen VX advertising for line mx jobs at JFK.

N1120A

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Quoting wxman11 (Thread starter):

I understand that Airbuses have low cost maintenance care, however, given that VX hub is here at SFO, it's only right to say they should have a maintenance hangar like that of UAL.

Huh? First, UA has a massive MX base at SFO, with much more complex functions. Second, What do you mean Airbuses have low cost maintenance care?

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 12):

If seen VX advertising for line mx jobs at JFK.

It is not uncommon to see a company advertise for jobs that are actually going to be officially through a contractor.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos