Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Latam Unveils New Cabin Products

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:25 pm

LATAM Airlines Group just unveiled their new cabin products for the upcoming 787 and A350 fleets.

1) A350 business class, 6-abreast

2) 787-9 business class, 6-abreast

3) 787 and A350 economy class, both 9-abreast

4) A320 seats

http://twitter.com/ghimlay
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...eveals-new-cabin-interiors-397527/

LATAM has 10 787-9s and 27 A350s on order.

How about? Looks very slick to me.

[Edited 2014-03-27 14:28:43]
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

NatoSCL

RE: Latam Unveils New Cabin Products

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:48 pm

I like it! They are combining the LA blues with the JJ reds, and it looks pretty!

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:03 pm

seansasLCY

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:16 pm

The colours look good but that J class bed looks like it will be difficult to get out of the window seat without waking your seatmate.

azjubilee

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Love it! Such a thoughtful design considering all that is beautiful in South America. I'm really liking this trend lately of designs that clearly recognize cultural ties to the airlines, much like Fiji, Hawaiian and South African have shown us in their new cabin designs.

starguy

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 pm

I find the Business Class seat completely unremarkable to be honest. I like the colours, but in this day and age I would expect direct aisle access for every seat, it's not like it's a new concept, the likes of CX, VS, SQ, DL, NZ, AC have had direct aisle access for years and the list continues with some of the new generation direct aisle access J Class seats out there. AF, US, AA, QR to name a few more. Shame that with two brand new aircraft types, they couldn't come up with something a bit more up to date.

PPVRA

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:43 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Thread starter):
3) 787 and A350 economy class, both 9-abreast

All looks great, except for this. The A320 economy looks much better.

[Edited 2014-03-27 16:46:59]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

mats

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:10 am

Those headrest covers look like they belong to Austrian Airlines!

qf2220

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:48 am

Quoting NatoSCL (Reply 1):
I like it! They are combining the LA blues with the JJ reds, and it looks pretty!

Have we speculated before what a combined LAN/TAM livery might look like? Any creatives out there want to give it a go??

laca773

Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:47 am

Will the majority of the A359s go to the JJ fleet, while the 787-9s go to LA?

kanban

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:30 am

maybe I don't get out enough, but how in the heck does one get into the window seat in the first photo? Is there a folding panel or convenient stile?

Carfield

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:56 am

While the new business class seats are full flat with a good amount of legroom, I am very disappointed that Latam does not choose a direct-aisle-access business class seat. If they do so, they will be really ahead in terms of the premium class battles. As both American and Delta both have direct aisle access full flat business class seats, it is disappointing that they will not go for a more luxurious products, and be more competitive.

However, the color scheme is definitely very good. It gives an elegant atmosphere. I like the red and grey color scheme used in business class. For economy class, I actually prefer the red and grey color pattern on the A320s, but the red and blue color scheme on 787s and A350s are nice too.

I am not surprised with the nine abreast seating on the 787s, but if I am not mistaken, A350 will have a 5.61m internal diameter, while 787 has 5.49m. Economy cabin will definitely be more comfortable on A350 than 787s, unless Latam chooses to use the same economy seats with the same dimensions on both aircraft. If I am flying Y, A350s will definitely be my preference.

Does anyone know if PTVs and power outlets will be installed in Y too?

Carfield

ua900

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:20 am

Any word on AVOD in Y cabin? The channel selector on the Y armrest makes it look like their 350s/787s won't have the more modern touch screens with the remote. AV has AVOD in their newer 320s/321s/330s, why wouldn't Latam?

[Edited 2014-03-28 23:31:33]
2020: DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:42 am

The cabin looks pretty slick to me and I like the colors as well.

Quoting StarGuy (Reply 5):
the list continues with some of the new generation direct aisle access J Class seats out there. AF, US, AA, QR to name a few more.

The J seats with direct aisle access are in 4-abreast versus 6-abreast on the LATAM airplanes. So it's a trade-off for the airline: either more comfort or more seats.

starguy

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:51 am

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 13):

The trade-off for me results in LATAM offering an inferior seat, they're not offering the market anything that hasn't already been available for the last decade and a half, no step forward whatsoever. I too think the cabin looks slick as far as the colour scheme is concerned, but zero privacy, being forced to watch your neighbours tv screen and climbing over a sleeping stranger in the middle of the night detracts from the novelty of that colour scheme. I think all of these issues have been addressed with the latest generation of J Class seats offered by Qatar Airways for example. They have set the standard in long range business class offerings and anything less than direct access seating is considered inferior in my opinion.

qf2220

Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:51 pm

Quoting kanban (Reply 10):

Looking at the second photo it looks like there is a gap. Perhaps this photo (shopped?) version didnt include the gap they were supposed to?

Quoting StarGuy (Reply 14):
The trade-off for me results in LATAM offering an inferior seat, they're not offering the market anything that hasn't already been available for the last decade and a half, no step forward whatsoever

For the majority of LATAM pax, this is a step up. Agreed, those in the US and Europe flights might find better seats elsewhere but passenger product on and off board (eg lounges) is in general a few years behind in LATAM (and I live here and can comment with a little degree of authority) and this does represent a not insignificant step forward.

PDPsol

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:35 pm

The trade-off for me results in LATAM offering an inferior seat, they're not offering the market anything that hasn't already been available for the last decade and a half, no step forward whatsoever. I too think the cabin looks slick as far as the colour scheme is concerned, but zero privacy, being forced to watch your neighbours tv screen and climbing over a sleeping stranger in the middle of the night detracts from the novelty of that colour scheme. I think all of these issues have been addressed with the latest generation of J Class seats offered by Qatar Airways for example. They have set the standard in long range business class offerings and anything less than direct access seating is considered inferior in my opinion.

LA and TAM/JJ long-haul routes are western-hemisphere focused, primarily US-to-major-S. America markets, GRU, LIM, BOG and EZE. The new LATAM long haul cabin is absolutely top-notch compared to its primary competion on these routes, AA, DL and UA, as well as regional competitor, AV.

CM does not even offer lie-flat J class service on its long-haul flights via PTY to these markets.

The LATAM J class cabin is miles ahead of what AV is currently offering on its A330-200 and competes well with the new AA 777-323ER cabin [with direct aisle access], the new 767-323ER cabin and [hopefully] the soon-to-be-revealed 777-223ER cabin.

The J class cabin also fares well when compared to LATAMs primary competitors to western European markets, IB and AF.

If QR ever obtains regulatory authorization to operate JFK-GRU with 3x daily frequencies, then perhaps LATAM can consider offering a direct aisle access J-class cabin...

Motorhussy

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:17 pm

Does this mean that JJ is ditching its First Class product? Personally I love their cabin...

http://www.airlinetrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/TAM-upgradia_a680x450.jpg

Looks great, but as others have said, it's nothing new or innovative.

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:21 pm

First class is for the 777 and A330. Like many other airlines, the 787/A350 will be 2-class only.

jetblue1965

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:34 pm

Quoting PDPsol (Reply 16):
LA and TAM/JJ long-haul routes are western-hemisphere focused, primarily US-to-major-S. America markets, GRU, LIM, BOG and EZE. The new LATAM long haul cabin is absolutely top-notch compared to its primary competion on these routes, AA, DL and UA, as well as regional competitor, AV.

The LATAM J class cabin is miles ahead of what AV is currently offering on its A330-200 and competes well with the new AA 777-323ER cabin [with direct aisle access], the new 767-323ER cabin and [hopefully] the soon-to-be-revealed 777-223ER cabin.

Against their primary competition, it looks fine.

Main issue is that these designs are for a brand new plane type that's yet to be delivered. Say 3-5 years from now, there's no reason to assume the competition will stand still where they are today, so LATAM may be behind the times again.

I've flown the TK J seat (which looks quite similar to these designs), and I felt it was just B+ by hard product.

EddieDude

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:37 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 18):
First class is for the 777 and A330.

On a semi-related matter, is JJ going to continue to operate A332s? I was under the impression that LATAM wants to transfer 763ERs to JJ as LA receives 787s, and that the A332s will leave. Thanks.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:40 pm

Quoting PDPsol (Reply 16):
The new LATAM long haul cabin is absolutely top-notch compared to its primary competion on these routes, AA, DL and UA.
Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 19):
Main issue is that these designs are for a brand new plane type that's yet to be delivered. Say 3-5 years from now, there's no reason to assume the competition will stand still where they are today, so LATAM may be behind the times again.

I can't speak for AA and DL, but UA will also have lie-flat J seats in 6-abreast on the 787-9.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-airlines-boeing-787-9-seatmap

As you can see, no direct aisle access for them neither.

[Edited 2014-03-31 12:44:40]

jetblue1965

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:15 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 21):
I can't speak for AA and DL, but UA will also have lie-flat J seats in 6-abreast on the 787-9.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-airlines-boeing-787-9-seatmap

As you can see, no direct aisle access for them neither.

UA is rehashing an old product, while LATAM is launching a new product that is considered last-gen globally

Luckily for LATAM, their regional competition is in even worse shape

AA777

Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:55 pm

lol... I love all the critics here. Boo hoo I have to climb over someone 4 times in the course of 10 hours. Meanwhile 70% of the plane is sardined in the back with 31" pitch and a 18" wide seat but no one seems to give a hoot about that.

The only issue is access from WINDOW seats.... so the majority of pax will not have this issue (2/3 will have direct aisle access)... The product looks great overall. This is almost as bad as the 3-3-3 vs. 2-5-2 argument....

As others have said, LATAM does not really compete with other carriers like BA, EK, CX etc., so they dont have to do the same thing and sacrifice seats for a little extra comfort...

AA777

Motorhussy

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:40 pm

Quoting AA777 (Reply 23):
lol... I love all the critics here. Boo hoo I have to climb over someone 4 times in the course of 10 hours. Meanwhile 70% of the plane is sardined in the back with 31" pitch and a 18" wide seat but no one seems to give a hoot about that.

That's a mature well-informed response. In Y class no other operator is offering any significant difference in pitch and width, the battleground is fought on IFE, service and of course price. In long-haul Biz seat comfort is a big drawcard and there are airlines offering a far superior product into GRU, Swiss for example. Other airlines will improve their offering into (particularly) GRU, GIG, SCL and Latam will have squandered an opportunity.

This is almost as bad as the 3-3-3 vs. 2-5-2 argument....

I've always thought 2-4-3 the best option but understand the budgetary tech reasons for a 3-3-3 preference.

incitatus

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:12 pm

The only issue is access from WINDOW seats.... so the majority of pax will not have this issue (2/3 will have direct aisle access)... The product looks great overall.

Both AA and DL are going to all seats with aisle access in business class, so this is very relevant. It is not just an issue for 1/3 of the cabin. It is an issue for 2/3 of the cabin. 1/3 will have to jump over someone, 1/3 may wake up when they are jumped over.

These seats are nice, but as more airlines convert their business class seats to all-aisle access configurations, this is going to be a more evident handicap.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

OB1504

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:18 am

If you're paying thousands of dollars for a business class seat, you would expect not to have to work in a gymnastics lesson to be able to get to the bathroom.

Quoting incitatus (Reply 25):
Both AA and DL are going to all seats with aisle access in business class, so this is very relevant. It is not just an issue for 1/3 of the cabin. It is an issue for 2/3 of the cabin. 1/3 will have to jump over someone, 1/3 may wake up when they are jumped over.

It's embarrassing for LA/JJ for American carriers to have better premium products.

Rafabozzolla

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:54 pm

I much rather go with full lie flat all forward facing than odd herringbone/staggered etc, or having someone's (sometimes smelly) feet next to my face.

I too think it's a non issue to go over someone who's close to the floor and, let's face it, there's plenty of room for that in J.

aa1818

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:27 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 26):
If you're paying thousands of dollars for a business class seat, you would expect not to have to work in a gymnastics lesson to be able to get to the bathroom.

Agreed. This is a little dissappointing considering the dislances flown by LA/ JJ in the long-haul planes are quite significant. These are not 5-7 hours segments- these are 8-12 hours segments, and thus Business class should be reflective of the sector. Stepping over someone and likely waking up your seat mate is not acceptable.

I just flew POS-LGW, LHR-JNB-LHR, LGW-POS in J-class on BA and 8 across on ALL of their long-haul jets (B772, A380, B744) in business is totally unacceptable. The Font/ Rear, stare at your neighbour seats are horrible.

LA/JJ

Cheers,
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

Manta

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Anyone know if LATAM is going to have WIFI on their new planes?

abrelosojos

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:13 pm

= This is absolutely how I view it. I find the J class of LATAM to be very unimpressive - but then again remember - we are in Latin America, where lack of competition means they can get away with this.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Motorhussy

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 30):
where lack of competition means they can get away with this.

I don't accept this argument. In New Zealand, our national carrier NZ has a virtual monopoly on many of the routes it plies - AKL-LAX-LHR, AKL-SFO, AKL-YVR, AKL-NRT - yet they one of the better J-classes on the planet. I believe it is their superior product that keeps customer loyalty at the front of the cabin and competitors out of their home market.

Where NZ is not the dominant player from AKL - they have competition from SQ, CX and EK.

Perhaps it's not the lack of competition in your market but who the competition is.

LipeGIG

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:52 am

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 18):
First class is for the 777 and A330. Like many other airlines, the 787/A350 will be 2-class only.

It seems their 77W will be phased out by 2018.
JJ probably will go to a 2 class set up and the First will be removed.
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

PDPsol

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:18 pm

Quoting Motorhussy (Reply 31):
Perhaps it's not the lack of competition in your market but who the competition is.

As mentioned, LATAM long-haul competitors on flights to/from North America are Latin American carriers, AV and CM [and AR], as well as DL and UA [and fellow oneworld member, AA]. Compared to what these competitors offer on J class service to markets in the United States and regionally, LATAM has world-class cabin, a very competitive product.

On LATAM long-haul flights to western Europe, primarily MAD, but also LHR for TAM/JJ, the carrier competes with fellow oneworld members IAG/IB/BA, AF/KL/UX, LH/LX, as well as AV. Again, compared to these carriers, the LATAM J class product fares well.

Asian carriers have a very limited presence in Latin America. CA serves GRU, via MAD, while KE serves GRU, via LAX, and SQ serves GRU, via BCN.

The big Middle East carriers, TK, EK, QR and EY all serve GRU as well. However, LATAM does not compete directly with these carriers. EZE also sees QR and EK.

The LATAM product looks excellent and should perform well for LA and TAM/JJ.

jetblue1965

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 pm

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 32):
JJ probably will go to a 2 class set up and the First will be removed.

That's regrettable - their F looks amazing (I have one booked for next Feb)

JJ should remain "TAM", not "LAN Brasil"

OB1504

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:10 am

Quoting PDPsol (Reply 33):
As mentioned, LATAM long-haul competitors on flights to/from North America are Latin American carriers, AV and CM [and AR], as well as DL and UA [and fellow oneworld member, AA]. Compared to what these competitors offer on J class service to markets in the United States and regionally, LATAM has world-class cabin, a very competitive product.

Alliance partner AA is rolling out all-aisle access across its entire international widebody fleet. I would expect the others to follow suit as LA/JJ roll out their previous generation new seat.

usdcaguy

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:43 am

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 21):

Shabby. A failure to transform with the times.

RCS763AV

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Indeed, this is a non surprising product, but with the lack of competitors in the region, LATAM will do fine. We'll have to wait and see what AV comes up with in the 787s, they might take it up a notch.

PDPsol

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:06 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 35):
I would expect the others to follow suit as LA/JJ roll out their previous generation new seat.

Not sure what you mean by a "previous generation new seat". The LATAM cabin is not a "previous generation", it is a new design. The lack of all-aisle-access does not make it a "previous generation". The cabin was designed by Priestmangoode, which is a world-class design firm.

The new LATAM J-class cabin is very similar to the TK cabin, which also receives top-marks.

LATAM is selling a top-flight product on its long-haul routes, competitive with anything on offer.

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 35):
Alliance partner AA is rolling out all-aisle access across its entire international widebody fleet.

Yes, they just announced their new 77E offering this week, which is excellent. Nonetheless, the LATAM product will compare favorably.

jetblue1965

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Quoting PDPsol (Reply 38):
Not sure what you mean by a "previous generation new seat". The LATAM cabin is not a "previous generation", it is a new design. The lack of all-aisle-access does not make it a "previous generation". The cabin was designed by Priestmangoode, which is a world-class design firm.

They're launching it for planes that aren't even in commercial service in any airline - 350 and 789

By the time they receive enough of them, it will last gen (although I admit the color palette is gorgeous)

Quoting PDPsol (Reply 38):
The new LATAM J-class cabin is very similar to the TK cabin, which also receives top-marks.

I've flown the TK J and didn't care much for it. The only saving grace for LATAM is that the competition isn't super high-end either.

starguy

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:25 pm

In 5-10 years, this is going to look like a very outdated product and I think it is a shame that LATAM didn't use this opportunity to be a bit more forward thinking, when European, North American and Asian carriers have had a hard product that is more up to date than this for a least the last decade. Using the excuse that "Oh well, the competition doesn't offer anything better" will only get airlines so far, there is a product war going on at the moment and airlines world wide are pushing very hard, I fear that South America is allowing themselves to be left behind as normal.

If any American or European carrier had a big reveal to announce the installation of this product on a brand new aircraft, nobody would be impressed, as the layout and technology is being stripped out of premium airlines all over the world to be replaced with a far more up to date product.

jetblue1965

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Quoting starguy (Reply 40):
Using the excuse that "Oh well, the competition doesn't offer anything better" will only get airlines so far, there is a product war going on at the moment and airlines world wide are pushing very hard, I fear that South America is allowing themselves to be left behind as normal.

We have to thank the Brazillian courts for granting the LATAM merger and creating such a powerhouse that no other airline can keep them in check (AV is a very distant second), so now they have no incentive to compete on hard proudct, service, or even price.

No other continent has such an imbalance (even QF has VA/NZ to keep them on earth).

PPVRA

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:46 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 41):
We have to thank the Brazillian courts for granting the LATAM merger and creating such a powerhouse that no other airline can keep them in check (AV is a very distant second), so now they have no incentive to compete on hard proudct, service, or even price.

GOL most certainly challenges TAM on the domestic Brazilian market. If anything, the "merger" is heating up competition while slowly sweeping away poor management. In fact, I'd say TAM's domestic/South American A320 product as shown above is top notch.

On the international side, the competition is going to become more fierce as open skies is implemented. If TAM has not adapted yet, if they are still counting on cozy protectionism that kept filling their pockets on those flights without requiring much effort on their part, their lunch will now get eaten by others until they adapt.

[Edited 2014-04-08 07:51:02]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

PDPsol

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Quoting starguy (Reply 40):
I fear that South America is allowing themselves to be left behind as normal
Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 41):
We have to thank the Brazillian courts for granting the LATAM merger and creating such a powerhouse that no other airline can keep them in check

Regional fares are, indeed, very high and carriers like CM, LA/JJ and AV certainly take advantage of this. Nonetheless, things are changing quickly on the South American continent and will continue changing for the foreseeable future.

A scant 10 years ago, there were no regional carriers capable of linking major markets LIM, GRU, BOG, GIG, EZE, SCL and even "large-ish", but secondary, markets like BSB, CWB, POA, COR, CNF, MVD and UIO with each other and the United States. Today, we have a LATAM capable of handling all these markets, plus a quickly-growing AV assuming its role as a real competitor. To this, we add North American mega-carriers, UA, DL, AA and even AC, as real, every-day competitors to these regional players. In addition, we know Azul is in discussions with Boeing to acquire the "terrible teens" and launch service to unspecified cities in the United States.

Competition will only grow in the region and LATAM knows this. They will never have a monopoly on long-haul markets to North America. This is a big change for the region.

Brazil will fully de-regulate next year, when Open Skies is completely implemented with the United States. The next step will be to implement regional Open Skies among all nations in South America and to eliminate foreign ownership and control restrictions. These policy changes will require political consensus and regional coordination. Over time, we will see these changes materialize, leading to enhanced products and services.

Interesting to see how a thread regarding a new cabin launch for LATAM has turned into a discussion over regional competition...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos