Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

avibeast
Topic Author

Turkish Airlines Expansion

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:26 am

Turkish airlines in my opinion has grown a lot in the past few years.. They fly to 235 destinations worldwide. What routes do you think the airline has potential to operate?? Which cities do you think they will announce next? Sydney would be awesome! However, for the growth they need a new terminal built ASAP!

point2point

RE: Turkish Airlines Expansion

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 am

At present, TK serves IAD, IAH, ORD and LAX as other *A hubs. EWR could be a next logical TK entry into the U.S. (TK does serve JFK in the NYC region, but JFK isn't a *A hub), with some 300+ O&D PDEW between NYC and Istanbul. And then after that, SFO could be a *A hub with some 35 O&D PDEW, but the hub-to-hub could also increase some traffic here, and also run 5-6X weekly, then maybe take some pax from EK. And then after that, there's always DEN (my favorite) but with barely some 10 O&D PDEW, it would be difficult even with hub-to-hub here - maybe 3-4 flights weekly?

After all the *A hubs are considered (if this is anywhere near what they want to do) then I think that TK will somehow end up at MIA to serve the southeast of the U.S. DTW was also mentioned as there is a high mid-eastern population there. I don't think that DFW would work with already three mid-east airlines there? Then if TK served IST-ATL for some 18 O&D PDEW, would DL find a spare planed and start the route the next day? And then lastly there's the PacNW, with SEA, but there's only about 15 O&D PDEW there, so would that be in TK's interest with really no hub at the SEA end?

Other secondary airports such as CLT, PHL, MSP, PHX, SAN, well.... of these, I'd give DEN a better shot at landing TK first, and that's not really much shot at all, other than being a *A hub.

That's my rundown on TK expansion in the U.S......

Miami

Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:02 am

SFO Should get TK, and maybe even ATL..

Quoting point2point (Reply 1):
TK will somehow end up at MIA to serve the southeast of the U.S.

I agree.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

LAXintl

Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:16 am

Topic regularly discussed in Turkish Aviation thread but here is an investors update from December listing proposed new markets in red which was posted.

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

bunumuring

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:09 am

Whoops!
I just asked the question in the latest Australian Aviation thread about the latest on Turkish plans for Sydney ... And then found this thread!
So I am taking it that Turkish's plans for Sydney remain fluid? Probably waiting for suitable aircraft to do IST-SYD nonstop year round as they indicated they wanted to do....
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

LAXintl

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:46 am

Australia (and New Zealand) are covered through new Singapore codesharing pact in addition to the existing agreement with Thai.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

point2point

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:01 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 3):

Having that list sure helps.......

starguy

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:16 am

Quoting Avibeast (Thread starter):

I agree completely regarding a new terminal being needed. I recently flew with Turkish and although I was relatively impress by the quality on the onboard products, the terminal experience was basic at best. On arrival at IST we waited in a cramped, packed out immigration hall for was felt like an eternity, the overall condition of the building left a lot to be desired, and the facilities were limited. The airport authority needs to up their game if they want to become a serious hub carrier to take on Emirates for example.

ist2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:22 am

Ist-Syd makes sence but they will not for at least 5 years.
77L can do it, they looked for AI 5 77L for many many months and result was nothing.
777-8x wıll not be available for at least 10 years, if TK orders 789 it has enough range

TK787

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:21 am

Quoting point2point (Reply 1):
EWR could be a next logical TK entry into the U.S.

Tons of information on this brought to you by "Turkish Aviation" threads that have been running for over 7 years.

-TK starts IST-BOS nonstop flights in May, going daily in June. BOS is next in the US, SFO and Montreal could follow.
-TK and Star Alliance codeshare is problematic in the US. LAXintl can chime in on this.
-On the other hand, TK is working with B6 at JFK, BOS and IAD codeshares.
-If all goes as planned, a new airport construction in Istanbul will start in the coming months to be completed by 2019 (give or take a year or two) to have an initial capacity of 90 million pax annually.
-Australia will not be a money making adventure, just for prestige. I bet it is at the bottom of the list of TK.

adamh8297

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:49 pm

I wonder if IST-HAV-MEX will be coming soon. I don't see CCS-BOG tagout until the Venezuelan issues are straightened out or they swap PTY for CCS.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 9):
SFO and Montreal could follow.

IST-YUL starts with 3 weekly service in June

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 3):

Is Lenkeran supposed to be Lankaran, Azerbaijan?
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

k83713

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Are there any A380 on order for Turkish?

TK787

Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:24 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 10):
IST-YUL starts with 3 weekly service in June

Thanks for reminding, can't keep up.

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 10):
Is Lenkeran supposed to be Lankaran, Azerbaijan?

Correct.

Quoting k83713 (Reply 11):
Are there any A380 on order for Turkish?

No.
TK has 15 or so 333s and 20 77Ws on order.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos