Bluewave 707
Topic Author

Last Day For Go!

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:57 am

Mesa Air Group's go! is operating its last inter-island flights today ... the same day when Aloha shut down in 2008.

In go! fashion 1 flight cancelled, and 6 flights delayed.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/25118418/monday-marks-last-day-for-go-airlines-in-hawaii
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

UA735WL

RE: Last Day For Go!

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:09 am

Quoting bluewave 707 (Thread starter):

The same day that AQ bit the dust? Karma for sure  . I'll admit I'm not too sad to see them "Go"....
"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions" -Tex Johnston

aloha73g

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:18 am

Every year on March 31st I think back to Aloha's last day. It was bittersweet for sure.

I'll be able to smile a little more in the future knowing go! is go!ne.

Aloha went out with grace & dignity. I agree its fitting that go!'s operation is a mess today.

On behalf of Hawaii I'll say GOOD RIDDANCE go!!! May the door hit you on the way out.

ALOHA!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

n901wa

Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:17 am

Yea, My Brother said the flights were a mess today. So I guess GO no can go any more huh. Same day as Aloha, Thats some strong Kapu. Go Hawaiian  

UA444

Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 am

While I get there is a lot of animosity since many want to blame them for the demise of Aloha, but if people had voted with their wallets and avoided go! in the first place and flown Aloha, it might have never happened. Kind of hard to blame them when the free market decided Aloha's fate.

And I say this as someone who does NOT like Mesa.

HA_DC9

Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:41 am

For the record, I am not a go! "fanboy", nor an Aloha "fanboy". I think all the animosity toward go! for the excuse of them destroying Aloha is plain ridiculous and people who still blame go!/Mesa solely and entirely for Aloha’s demise are incorrect. As I argued in an old thread years ago, Aloha’s demise was really brought upon by several factors not solely on go!/Mesa. I argued that go!/Mesa was the final nail in the coffin for Aloha that was already being killed by 1) poor management, 2) limited routes (with the bulk of them in the interisland market), 3) an inefficient fleet, 4) dwindling financial resources, 5) high costs i.e. labor, fuel and 6) strong competition from a resurgent and refocused Hawaiian Airlines who literally reinvented itself starting around 1999.

Aloha Airlines, it’s now former employees, its former owners and most especially its former CEO David Banmiller have themselves to blame for their part in the failure of Aloha Airlines. Of course Banmiller is going to blame go!/Mesa. It takes real leadership to admit that he has to share some of the blame and I have yet to see him admit that. Even the Hawaii flying public has to blame themselves for Aloha’s demise. UA444 is right….the public could have voted with their wallets.

Sorry if I sounded mean or come off as a jerk. I have nothing but sympathy for and am sorry that so many Aloha employees lost their jobs, but we move on. What the people here in Hawaii with all this animosity need to learn is that an airline is a business. Businesses exists to make money. The survival and/or success of any business is dependent on so many complex factors. Now fast forward to present time and go! is now coming to an end…probably a victim of some of the same factors that brought Aloha Airlines to its demise…something to keep in perspective.

RWA380

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:11 am

I have flown to / from Hawaii so many times I've lost count, and I flew all the inter island airlines around, during my two years living in Honolulu, Mahalo started up, I stood in line at the airport when the ticket counter sold for one day, 10 flight coupon books for $100, I bought 4 books, I liked Mahalo, I liked Discovery, Mokulele, Air Molokai, Princeville Airways, Mid Pacific, Island Air and of course Hawaiian, but I loved AQ, maybe it's the 73S aircraft, but it was really the people made the ride just sublime.

For a few months I was a floater for our company, and I ended up commuting on AQ daily to Kona or Maui or Kauai, even a few Hilo trips. I flew 46 segments in one month, I guess when I heard how YV came to be in the Islands, I can not help feeling a bit resentful their action finally killed AQ. I never flew Go! Had a chance this last October, but took HA instead.

Quoting HA_DC9 (Reply 5):
What the people here in Hawaii with all this animosity need to learn is that an airline is a business. Businesses exists to make money. The survival and/or success of any business is dependent on so many complex factors.

You are aware that Mesa signed a non-compete contract with AQ when YV was asked to review their books and see what support they could lend? You understand that what they did was illegal and not anything that is acceptable in the business world? So calling it just business, is like excusing a mob hit, as just business.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

HNLPointShoot

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:12 am

Quoting bluewave 707 (Thread starter):
In go! fashion 1 flight cancelled, and 6 flights delayed.

That's bachi for Mesa right there.

ua900

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:32 am

Go!away already.

Filler
2020: DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos