capitalflyer
Topic Author

SIN Rated World's Best By Skytrax, U.S. Low Ranked

Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Skytrax released its list of best airports. SIN came in first and U.S. airports generally were crap. CVG rated highest in the rankings at only 27.

In addition, other tidbits and rankings such as terminal at below link.

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2014/Categories.htm

Is "best airport" more a function of how new the airport facilities are (new terminals, etc.) or are there historic terminals that rate highly?

No word on whether LGA was actually considered an airport for this ranking or whether IAD C/D was ranked in the "Best Farm Outbuilding" category.   

jetblue1965

RE: SIN Rated World's Best By Skytrax, U.S. Low Ranked

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Glad to see a non-Asian airport (MUC) finally cracking the Top 3. I agree with most of the list except LHR. Other than T-5, the rest are unspectacular.

The one I agree whole-heartedly is YVR being best in North America - makes you feel that you're within the Pacific NW forests, not some typical brushed-metal-and-glass structure that is so prevalent in all the newer designs.

Quoting capitalflyer (Thread starter):
Is "best airport" more a function of how new the airport facilities are (new terminals, etc.) or are there historic terminals that rate highly?

I believe it's based on current terminals. So something like the old JFK TWA T5 shouldn't be counted in the score.

N1120A

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:23 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 1):
The one I agree whole-heartedly is YVR being best in North America - makes you feel that you're within the Pacific NW forests, not some typical brushed-metal-and-glass structure that is so prevalent in all the newer designs.

Agreed that YVR is quite pretty and pleasant. I don't, however, like a lot of the functionality. The walks to/from customs are too long and I despise that photo system for the bags in pre-clearance. YYZ is much more efficient.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

lightsaber

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:38 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 1):
The one I agree whole-heartedly is YVR being best in North America

In general, I agree with the rankings. YVR is great! DEN is very good...

Although I'm surprised how highly LHR ranked. Then again, I've been avoiding LHR, so perhaps T5 made that big of a difference...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

usdcaguy

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm

How did ATL rank more highly than DFW? How did the old, chlorine-filled Hilton Atlanta Airport get ranked as one of the best airport hotels in North America when the Marriott Gateway is heads and shoulders above it? I'd need to see the methodology the used for the rankings to make use of them.

Yes, I generally agree that US airports are crap. Even the newest ones pale in comparison to many in poorer countries. The main issue is that they're incredibly old, crowded and out-of-date.

MIflyer12

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 4):
How did ATL rank more highly than DFW?

To start, by having an inter-concourse train that proceeds in a ~straight line between seven concourses, rather than curved paths that knock people off their feet!  

DDR

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 pm

How did ATL rank more highly than DFW?

Agreed. I prefer DFW to ATL any day of the week.

vv701

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:17 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 4):
I'd need to see the methodology the used for the rankings to make use of them.

Respondents are asked to rank those airports with which they are familiar for 39 different parameters, More here:

http://www.worldairportawards.com/main/methods.htm

luckyone

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Skytrax released its list of best airports. SIN came in first and U.S. airports generally were crap. CVG rated highest in the rankings at only 27.

Aside from the fact that these surveys are mostly skewed towards new terminals (people will always pick the bright and shiny and new over the familiar and used) and connecting hubs, I think one thing is highly overlooked in these surveys: Yes, the airports that consistently rank high are amazing airports and have wonderful amenities...but they have to. Singapore has built its economy, and SQ functions in part to that, on attracting people to fly an airline that is less efficient for them, and thus it must be made worth their while. And they do an amazing job of that.

In the US, air travel is a commodity, and as long as we can get where we need to go and grab a burger if needed, there is no incentive ($$) for people to ask for anything more. The airports that rank high also have serious $$$ going through it. The US domestic market, for better or worse, isn't interested in paying for all that.

thomasphoto60

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Indeed, sad commentary on not only US airports but airlines as well. Seems like the air travel experience in the US has been on a rocket sled screaming towards the bottom for the last 20+ years and neither the airlines nor airports give a damn.
"Show me the Braniffs"

infinit

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:17 am

Not to nit pick but this has already been posted  Best Airport In The World? (by Avibeast Mar 30 2014 in Aviation Polls)

BoeingGuy

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:48 am

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 9):
Indeed, sad commentary on not only US airports but airlines as well. Seems like the air travel experience in the US has been on a rocket sled screaming towards the bottom for the last 20+ years and neither the airlines nor airports give a damn.

You know, I think this airport ranking is overrated. I don't go to an airport to shop in fancy stores or look at fancy architecture. I go to airport to board an airplane to hopefully get to my destination safely and on time. It's nice to maybe have something to eat and a beer if it's not a morning flight.

All the US airports that I frequent are plenty adequate. SEA, SNA and SJC are just fine. FAT has a bit of an outdoorsy feel like was mentioned about YVR.

If I want fancy shopping or whatever then I'll go to Saks Fifth Avenue. These are airports, not resort destinations.

[Edited 2014-04-03 18:50:49]

jetblue1965

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:03 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 11):

And hence ... LGA Terminal B

If I have to spend 2+ hours transiting at a terminal, I would hope it's in nicer condition than greyhound bus stop (re : pigeons inside JFK T2)

777Jet

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:12 am

Skytrax released its list of best airports. SIN came in first

No surprise there. SIN is the best!  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

BoeingGuy

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:14 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 12):
And hence ... LGA Terminal B

If I have to spend 2+ hours transiting at a terminal, I would hope it's in nicer condition than greyhound bus stop (re : pigeons inside JFK T2)

DFW is my favor airport to connect in. Just head on over to Terminal D and hang out. I never connect in SEA since I live here but there are plenty of places to grab something to eat, maybe have some refreshments and maybe watch some airplanes. I've gotten to SEA on the early side and then had my flight delayed a few hours, so end up hanging out for 4-5 hours and it's no Greyhound bus depot. The new SJC terminal is very respectable too.

avibeast

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:22 am

Asian/ European airlines as of now are way ahead of US airports in regards to desgon, efficiency, services, etc. however, this is slowly changing with ATL's new international concourse and SFO as well.. There are just way too many airports in the US! But lots of opportunity also

ozark1

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 am

DFW is so vastly improved from the nightmare it used to be. I've been flying out of here since the Braniff days, when there was only antiquated, slow moving, temperamental tram-like transportation to and from the terminals. Now, Skylink is fabulous, and in August there will be train service from Terminal A to downtown Dallas. Terminal C still needs to be re-done, but overall it's a greatly improved airport.

AS737MAX

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:20 am

What are the differences between Travel+Leisure magazine and Skytrax rating styles? Because T+L rated PDX as #1 in the USA, while CVG made #27 on the Skytrax World list, while CVG didn't even break 15th on T+L

packersfan

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:42 am

Quoting AS737MAX (Reply 17):
What are the differences between Travel+Leisure magazine and Skytrax rating styles? Because T+L rated PDX as #1 in the USA, while CVG made #27 on the Skytrax World list, while CVG didn't even break 15th on T+L

That in itself shows you what most of these ratings are about. Somebody out there justifying there job. How can I get that job?

jumpjets

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 3):
Although I'm surprised how highly LHR ranked. Then again, I've been avoiding LHR, so perhaps T5 made that big of a difference...

I guess T5's ranking as best airport terminal in the world - a ranking I am surprised at as a reasonably regular user - helps LHR's overall ranking, which I hope will be further enhanced by the opening of the new T2 in a few weeks time.

jetblue1965

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 19):
I guess T5's ranking as best airport terminal in the world - a ranking I am surprised at as a reasonably regular user - helps LHR's overall ranking, which I hope will be further enhanced by the opening of the new T2 in a few weeks time.

I didn't like the layout of LHR T5 one bit. They force everyone into a single crowded waiting area while you have to constantly check the board for your gate information.

Flaps

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 6):
Agreed. I prefer DFW to ATL any day of the week.

I have the complete opposite opinion. ATL is much more efficient and pleasant to travel through (as far as the terminals go), It also has more accessible and a greater variety concessions. I will concede that DFW has better gate seating,

FCAFLYBOY

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 20):
didn't like the layout of LHR T5 one bit. They force everyone into a single crowded waiting area while you have to constantly check the board for your gate information.

When did you go to T5? you must have the wrong terminal, because T5 is huge and anything but crowded! there is tons of space and personally I love the layout, easy, clear and incredibly easy to navigate.

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 19):

Time to try out T5

jetblue1965

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 22):
When did you go to T5? you must have the wrong terminal, because T5 is huge and anything but crowded! there is tons of space and personally I love the layout, easy, clear and incredibly easy to navigate.

About 2 years ago. T5 main concourse is large but it's mostly shopping. Sitting zones (esp in the central area) gets filled up.

PEK777

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:30 pm

Has anyone ever been to TYS in Knoxville, TN USA? This is toe to toe with DEN, DCA, and YVR for my favorite airport in North America. It has like 12 gates but is just high quality from top to bottom. It has the open qualities of the modern airports, but the scale is appropriate for the city and there is no wait for security. Unfortunately, there isn't much reason to visit Knoxville except to see the Whig-sphere.

What is different in US is the second and third tier cities often have top notch facilities, while first tier cities like NY, CHI, and LA lag far behind. It is the opposite in most other places.

kdhurst380

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:35 pm

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 22):
Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 23):
About 2 years ago. T5 main concourse is large but it's mostly shopping. Sitting zones (esp in the central area) gets filled up.

I actually find it quite a claustrophobic environment, there is no logic to it's design. Passing through it generally means changing level 3 or 4 times, and the main passenger thoroughfares are actually very narrow, mainly due to the large volumes of people passing through them, but also because every square inch is indeed retail. It had reached it's design capacity before it even opened.

alphaomega

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 9):

I personally don't think this is a negative, but rather a positive for the US. The service and "highlights" that you find on foreign carriers when being compared to US would make most people believe the US has a crap air system, when in fact its this perception which gets it all wrong. In most other parts of the world, when you're thinking of travelling you can consider a road trip by car or taking a train, however in the US people will likely look at airfare first, and go with this mode regardless. Flying in the US is so affordable and convenient that its available to everyone.

People compare the golden years of aviation to now and think the flying experience has degraded so much since then, but in fact it has become safer and affordable for anyone, and accessible so that you can go to meetings in 2 different cities and back home in time for dinner.

Everyone is quick to knock the US airlines, however they are only accommodating the demand. Singapore for example must cater to a much higher demand to be successful, and accommodate long haul while doing it - not the same in the US.

neutrino

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Yes, Changi tops its brethren in most aspects. However one glaring anomaly against its status of "world best" is in public transportation from around midnight to before the break of dawn. No train and no bus if one were to clear CIQ between those hours. There is no option but to catch the overpriced (considering the additional midnight & airport charges) taxis. As opposed to Hong Kong (its closest comparable city), there are no midnight buses to the airport.
Its mass rail connection to the city is jarringly disjointed as the weary budget traveler have to make at least one and up to three transfers, there being no direct service to the town area; again unlike the "Fragrant Harbour".
So until the airport get its act together in this area, the title stays a bit hollow.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

infinit

Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:23 am

Quoting neutrino (Reply 27):

I disagree on you latter point. Changi is on the East-West line. I won't consider Tanah Merah a transfer, you just need to walk 5 meters to the West-bound train at Tanah Merah which comes every 3 minutes. It only takes a total of 30 minutes to get to town via train.

Yeah, no public transportation after midnight but I don't see that as a major issue. I personally don't like buses. When I travel, unless I have really analysed bus routes and maps closely, I either take trains or cabs. And despite the surcharges, taxis in Singapore are still cheaper compared to most developed countries.

Please don't suggest midnight buses to CAG.. Almost all our bus drivers these days are foreigners, which is fine, but the bus companies don't bother to train them which annoys the hell out of me.. most don't speak English- I can't even get around in my own country sometimes! Once when I asked a bus driver if the bus I was boarding went to Raffles Place, I got a confused look and I had to ask a passenger. I can imagine the hordes of confused tourists (and Singaporeans alike) asking for directions to a bus driver who doesn't know the names of the places he is driving to in English, our native language   I don't blame the poor drivers out to make a living though. I blame our Land Transport Authority, and the two bus companies.. It's all about training.

jsnww81

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:30 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 23):

Heathrow in a nutshell - too many shops, not enough seats or circulation space.

Quoting PEK777 (Reply 24):
Has anyone ever been to TYS in Knoxville, TN USA? This is toe to toe with DEN, DCA, and YVR for my favorite airport in North America. It has like 12 gates but is just high quality from top to bottom. It has the open qualities of the modern airports, but the scale is appropriate for the city and there is no wait for security.

Fully agree. TYS is an absolute gem of an airport. Many of our second- and third-tier airports in the US (TYS, SGF, AUS, OKC, PDX) are on par with the large Asian airports. The problem is that basically none of our first-tier airports come close.

ozark1

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:59 am

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 29):
Fully agree. TYS is an absolute gem of an airport. Many of our second- and third-tier airports in the US (TYS, SGF, AUS, OKC, PDX) are on par with the large Asian airports. The problem is that basically none of our first-tier airports come close.

Check out CAE, Columbia South Carolina sometime. Beautiful little gem!

HKG212

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:47 am

The whole thing is a pathetic joke.

Changi is a nice enough airport, if you are willing to put up with the flag carrier operating out of two non-adjacent terminals, the MRT station all but inaccessible from the Budget Terminal (and the future T4), and drab convention center ambience.

But placing ICN and MUC above HKG? really?

Single-terminal airports like HKG and ICN (I'm ignoring HKG's T2, which is really just a check-in hall) are nowhere on the list of Best Terminals, despite their high overall ranking? what were people ranking then -- the runways? the cargo facilities?

The fabulous new terminal in AMM not even mentioned, except at the bottom of airports in the Middle East?

Listing Hongqiao as the second-best international airport in China, when its international terminal is the appalling old terminal? (the relatively new, all-domestic T2 deserves the accolades).

Lumping all of North America in one category, while Europe gets Northern, Western, Southern, and Eastern sub-categories?

I could go on and on.

B777LRF

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:56 am

Come on guys, it's Skytrax. It's sole purpose in life is to sell advertising space, and it does so my creating articles following the format of bottom feeding tabloids. If only it was printed on paper you could use it to wipe your bottom, but it's not even good for that.
Signature. You just read one.

EK413

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:12 am

I'm not surprised SIN received the No.1 World's Best... Amazing airport!

Well done SIN!

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

vv701

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:50 am

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 31):
what were people ranking

You can check out the comprehensive list of the 39 parameters each respondent was asked to assess in the link in Reply 7.

The first five on the list are:

Ease of airport access

Public transport - efficiency and cost

Taxi availability / prices

Luggage trolley availability - land / air side

Terminal comfort / ambience / design / appearance

The last five are:

Disabled access

Baggage delivery times

Priority baggage delivery

Lost luggage services

Perceived security / safety

Then there are 29 other parameters. Check them out here:

http://www.worldairportawards.com/main/methods.htm

EK413

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:08 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 34):

Sydney Kingsford Smith would rank worst in the World...

Ease of airport access - Traffic always bottlenecks during morning & evening peak hours at International & Domestic!

Public transport - efficiency and cost - $10+ to use the train station???

Taxi availability / prices - airport fee plus if you catching a cab locally they usually refuse

Luggage trolley availability - land / air side - most airports I've travelled to have no fee whilst in SYD they charge for departing passengers

Terminal comfort / ambience / design / appearance - Terminal is a dump with exception of QF Domestic but still congested during peak hours.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

HKG212

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 34):
You can check out the comprehensive list of the 39 parameters each respondent was asked to assess in the link in Reply 7.

That's exactly my point. Most of these items are terminal-related. For an airport to be in the top 5 and its only terminal not to be in the top 10, given these criteria, is just nonsense, and undermines what little credibility this survey has.

hoons90

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:54 pm

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 31):

But placing ICN and MUC above HKG? really?

Why is it so inconceivable that ICN ranked higher than HKG?

ICN consistently ranked higher than HKG in the Airports Council International awards as well.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

HKG212

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:04 pm

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 37):
Why is it so inconceivable that ICN ranked higher than HKG?

Because it's not nearly as good, by any measure I can think of.

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 37):
ICN consistently ranked higher than HKG in the Airports Council International awards as well.

Indeed. Those are even less credible than Skytrax. Their last awards put PEK, PVG, and DEL in the top five in Asia, with HKG nowhere to be seen.

We can debate ICN, or even PEK T3, being better than HKG, but PVG? and DEL?!?

BOM being #5 worldwide in the 25-40 million category, and that's for 2013, BEFORE the new T2 opened?!

SVO (Skytrax 2-stars) the best airport in Europe?!

I don't know about their methodology, but the proof is in the pudding. And it stinks.

hoons90

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 38):
Because it's not nearly as good, by any measure I can think of.

Such as?

All I can really think of is better food options at HKG, and perhaps some more shopping options. I guess if you prefer sterile, tacky gray carpets by the gate area versus cozy hardwood flooring and plants by the gate, HKG is better too.

I think ICN is a lot cleaner and has a lot of more useful facilities such as free showers and sleeping lounges. ICN airport also offers free transit tours, so to a lot of people, it's not just a transit airport but also a chance to explore a different culture in between flights.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

HKG212

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 39):
Such as?

Easy airport access, especially the Airport Express. Easy movement and orientation inside the terminal. Great architectural design. Great natural light, open space, and views out. Excellent lounges (not just CX). Frequent people mover service (have you used the satellite at ICN?...).

I guess if you prefer sterile, tacky gray carpets by the gate area versus cozy hardwood flooring and plants by the gate, HKG is better too.

Are you kidding? a few patches of hardwood here and there don't make up for the cheap tiles and carpeting everywhere else. The interior finishes at HKG are generally of a much higher quality throughout.

I think ICN is a lot cleaner

I don't think so. HKG is meticulously clean and fresh looking after more than 15 years in operation.

hoons90

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 40):
Easy airport access, especially the Airport Express.

Incheon Airport has a train to downtown Seoul every 6 minutes, and will also be served by bullet trains starting in May, linking the airport directly with Busan and other parts of the country.

Easy movement and orientation inside the terminal. Great architectural design. Great natural light, open space, and views out.

And this is something that ICN lacks? Are you confusing ICN with the older airport in Seoul?

Excellent lounges (not just CX).

I'll give you this one, but KE and OZ are mainly to blame here.

Frequent people mover service (have you used the satellite at ICN?...).

The satellite train at ICN? You mean the one that runs every 5 minutes?

a few patches of hardwood here and there don't make up for the cheap tiles and carpeting everywhere else.

By a few patches if you mean pretty much the entire gate areas of the airport, sure. Cheap tiles and carpeting is something that I associate with HKG. Gray, gray and more gray as far as the eyes can see.

I don't think so. HKG is meticulously clean and fresh looking after more than 15 years in operation.

In terms of cleanliness, I think both airports are spotless to the point where it's hard comparing.

Don't get me wrong, I like HKG airport very much and it's one of my favorites along with SIN. However I think ICN has the edge here for reasons that I have mentioned above, along with better efficiency (with security, immigration and so on), and the staff tend to be friendlier and more helpful. It's also nice that the airport authority gives transit passengers an opportunity to experience a bit more of Korea during their short transit stay by opening up museums and cultural centers where they can make their own souvenirs for free.

[Edited 2014-04-05 08:27:46]

StuckInCA

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:22 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 6):
I prefer DFW to ATL any day of the week

That's like choosing between two terrible illnesses. I avoid both when possible.

HKG212

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 41):
Incheon Airport has a train to downtown Seoul every 6 minutes

Only two express trains per hour, and they take 43 minutes to Seoul Station. The 5 other services are local, take almost an hour. Accessing the train is a hassle with many level changes and long walks. How can you even compare to HKG with 25-minute express service to and from HK Station (and 20 or so to Kowloon) every 10 minutes, right in front of the terminal, with minimal level change by ramp for departures and no level change for arrivals?

And this is something that ICN lacks?

Compared to HKG? most definitely. Lots of visual clutter, almost no skylights, etc.

You mean the one that runs every 5 minutes?

Yes, that one. With hundreds of people queuing and some not able to board the subway-packed cars. Compared to the one that runs every 2 minutes at HKG.

Gray, gray and more gray as far as the eyes can see.

Have you even been to HKG? the carpets are not gray, and never were. The concrete columns are, naturally. Anyway, this is a matter of taste.

It's also nice that the airport authority gives transit passengers an opportunity to experience a bit more of Korea during their short transit stay by opening up museums and cultural centers where they can make their own souvenirs for free.

I'll grant you that. HKG doesn't feel that it needs to seduce its customers with unrelated perks.

hoons90

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:24 pm

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 43):
Only two express trains per hour, and they take 43 minutes to Seoul Station. The 5 other services are local, take almost an hour. Accessing the train is a hassle with many[level changes and long walks. How can you even compare to HKG with 25-minute express service to and from HK Station (and 20 or so to Kowloon) every 10 minutes, right in front of the terminal, with minimal level change by ramp for departures and no level change for arrivals[/quote]

The long travel time is a consequence of its location. The airport site was the closest possible location to build a new international airport with any sort of expansion prospects. It's irrelevant for the bulk of passengers who transit, and an understandable reality and inconvenience for O&D pax. I don't find the station that long of a walk, either. Better walk than transferring from one gate to the other at HKG.

[quote=HKG212,reply=43]Yes, that one. With hundreds of people queuing and some not able to board the subway-packed cars. Compared to the one that runs every 2 minutes at HKG

The train is the only way to get to the satellite terminal, and that is why there is a bottleneck. Even then, the several times I've had to use it, it did not bother me.

Have you even been to HKG? the carpets are not gray, and never were. The concrete columns are, naturally. Anyway, this is a matter of taste. 

Yeah. I remember it being gray, although it's been a while. Gray, blue, yellow or whatever, I'm not a fan.

I'll grant you that. HKG doesn't feel that it needs to seduce its customers with unrelated perks. 

Unrelated to what?

I hope that HKG continues to have that attitude so ICN can continue winning more awards.

Sorry about the Quoting issues, dunno how to fix it

AC_B777

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm surprised that YHZ made the list for Best North American Airports while other Canadian Airports like YOW and YWG didn't make it. In my opinion, YOW and YWG (new terminal) are much better than YHZ.
I'm also surprised that two airports that I frequent, TPA and RSW, didn't make the list while YHZ did?!? Those two airports are much nicer, more efficient and user friendly than YHZ.
I can understand YHZ making the list for NA Regional Airports, but as for making the list for North America overall, I would have to disagree.
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

jetblue1965

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:58 pm

MUC T-2 and ZRH E-gates are great places for connections - open airy but neither cavernous nor intimidating ... Same reason why I prefer YVR over YYZ T-1

Both ICN and HKG are amazing - I'd rank either higher than SIN T-3

NRT can be showing its age but it's very well kept and runs like clockwork

Homobohemicus

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:39 am

Typing this message, sitting close to my gate in Singapore T2. Hmmm. I did have a rant in December when visiting the US for the first time using Delta from BKK to LAX ans SFO, then sadly AA to MIA and LGA then UA to YVR.

Not to be dramatic or insulting. .. trying to compare any of the above with singapore would be sacrilege.

Vancouver was very pleasant but many of us usually strictly differentiate between the US and Canada...

Singapore. ..

- Tons of transportation options... you get to the city for as cheap as 2.3 SGD!;
- terminals and transport between them easy, painless;
- terminals kept incredibly clean and airy. Noting that passengers side most if not ALL floors are carpeted!
- free and fast internet;
- relaxation zones with massage seats, sofas, tropicals gardens andmini lakes, widescreen tvs with various entertainment, tons of shops with reasonable prices.

I'm sitting and simply feeling how relaxing the entire process it. Passport control took kess than 15 seconds and behind each booth you have a touch pannel to rate your experience.

Security is firm but quick and painless...

Listening to the easy music that they're having in the terminal I'm only faintly remembering the dark, packed and uncomfortable areas that were called arrivals at LAX where it took almost 2 hiurs to clear a single b777! And I'm not even going to mention the security and their overall welcome and presentation.

Oh...and forgetting that I am a lowcost traveller today.. so all this far superior to anything I've seen in my last visit to the US.

But again. .fell in love with SF.. so flying back there again. Just will make sure I'll fly a non US based airline.

Plane Holland

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:49 am

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 38):
I don't know about their methodology, but the proof is in the pudding. And it stinks.

SkyTrax stinks. Millions of voters, yeah right. I'm running an airline/airport related site which is well visited but no way millions would ever care for voting for an airline or airport. SkyTrax makes these figures up.

RDUDDJI

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Quoting Flaps (Reply 21):

I have the complete opposite opinion. ATL is much more efficient and pleasant to travel through (as far as the terminals go), It also has more accessible and a greater variety concessions. I will concede that DFW has better gate seating,

Agreed. ATL is easy to transit through. Since they added the 5th RWY (10/28) it's become a much nicer connection point. Only knock on ATL is the narrow concourses (esp A, B, and C) that have outgrown their designed capacity. However, I spend as little time as possible at the gate, so it's not really a bother to me. Food options are great at ATL.

DFW's layout is terrible and the food options when I was last there (last year) were lacking.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos