airbazar
Topic Author

GOL And TAP To Start Commercial Partnership

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:10 pm

This is very interesting to say the least. I always thought that GOL was aligned with DL and SkyTeam.
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....014/04/gol-tap-to-begin-codeshare/
In another announcement available in Portuguese only, it says that TP will code-share with GOL from 12 cities in Brazil and that GOL will put its code on TP's flights to Portugal and beyond.
http://www.ambitur.pt/site/news.asp?news=34461
This is huge, especially considering that TP already has a code-share agreement with Azul and that AV Brazil is likely joining *A.

[Edited 2014-04-11 12:11:58]

Cipango

RE: GOL And TAP To Start Commercial Partnership

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Quoting airbazar (Thread starter):
This is huge, especially considering that TP already has a code-share agreement with Azul and that AV Brazil is likely joining *A.

This should have happened years ago to be honest. Its an ideal partnership.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

EddieDude

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:37 pm

I always thought that GOL was aligned with DL and SkyTeam.

GOL has DL as a shareholder and codeshare/mileage partner, and it does have codeshare and mileage agreements with other SkyTeam carriers such as AF, but that does not necessarily align them with SkyTeam. AM (who also has DL as a shareholder) for example works with JJ. Gol also works with AA, a oneworld member.

Quoting cipango (Reply 1):
Its an ideal partnership.

Absolutely agree.

AV Brazil is likely joining *A.

Even if it does, AV Brazil is still quite small and needs to develop further in order to be a good partner for someone like TP. Gol is at the moment a better partner for TP.
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

PDPsol

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:19 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 2):
I always thought that GOL was aligned with DL and SkyTeam.

GOL has DL as a shareholder and codeshare/mileage partner, and it does have codeshare and mileage agreements with other SkyTeam carriers such as AF, but that does not necessarily align them with SkyTeam. AM (who also has DL as a shareholder) for example works with JJ. Gol also works with AA, a oneworld member.

Alliances for South America carriers are never dull! G3 also has a new code-share with SkyTeam member [and basket-case] AR. One would imagine G3 would "pull the trigger" and sign up with SkyTeam, but you rightfully identify partnerships that work for G3 and AM outside the alliance.

DL has real money invested in AM and G3 and sees both as strategic partners. G3 has had a very difficult time over the past 3 years right-sizing its operations and realizing efficiencies, in the face of the depreciating BRL, over capacity, and greater competition.

TP has developed a great franchise in Brazil and this announcement will be beneficial to both carriers.

TYCOON

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:09 am

Gol will no longer be code sharing or have any marketing agreements with AA now that TAM is OneWorld.
In addition to DL owning a share of GOL, AF/KL have recently also become shareholders of the airline... So if GOL heads anywhere, it will certainly be with Skyteam in my view.

airbazar
Topic Author

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 2):
Gol also works with AA, a oneworld member.

That has ended like 2 years ago.
http://www.businesstravelnews.com/Bu...t-With-Delta/?ida=Airlines&a=trans

Quoting TYCOON (Reply 4):
Gol will no longer be code sharing or have any marketing agreements with AA now that TAM is OneWorld.
In addition to DL owning a share of GOL, AF/KL have recently also become shareholders of the airline... So if GOL heads anywhere, it will certainly be with Skyteam in my view.

Which makes this deal with TP very strange. Don't get me wrong. It's a great partnership for both airlines, but a strange one nonetheless.

efpmeneses

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:00 pm

When I read about that, i also thought this is strange...

Although it has benefits for both companies, but wasnt expecting this.

And it seems that GOL will put their code on some transatlantic flights, what didn't happen when TAM was TAP partner in Brazil.

Depending of the number of destinations GOL offers on codeshare to TP, they for sure will have access to some cities on Europe through TP flights.

And how about on board service, GOL still has the policy of only Buy on Board, or do they offer something during the flight?

If it is all Buy on Board, there is a gap between the service of the two companies, that the client will notice when arriving in Brazil and boarding a GOL airplane.

airbazar
Topic Author

Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Quoting efpmeneses (Reply 6):
If it is all Buy on Board, there is a gap between the service of the two companies, that the client will notice when arriving in Brazil and boarding a GOL airplane.

I'm pretty sure today's fliers are very much aware of the difference between long haul international and domestic service, or between a full service carrier and a low cost carrier.

Polot

Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 7):
I'm pretty sure today's fliers are very much aware of the difference between long haul international and domestic service, or between a full service carrier and a low cost carrier.

Assuming, of course, that the flier is aware that GOL is an LCC to begin with.

Cipango

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 7):

This is quite common - and not even for codeshare partners.

Here in Europe you can fly BA to LHR and connect on EI to Ireland where they operate a buy-on-board service.

Alternatively when flying UA, DL, AA, and US you can have free food and (non-alcoholic) drinks on long-haul and then connect to a buy-on-board flight.

Its not really an issue.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos