LFutia
Topic Author

AA Twitter Terrorism Threat

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:36 pm

The Internet is ablaze this morning after a 14 yr old girl from The Netherlands posted a terror threat to AA saying something was going to happen on 1 June.

Pics can be seen here: http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...m-joke-tweet/article1-1207985.aspx

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

aajfksjubklyn

RE: AA Twitter Terrorism Threat

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:41 pm

What a complete idiot- in this day and age why would anyone do this.

tommy1808

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 1):
What a complete idiot- in this day and age why would anyone do this.

Because she is a kid and kids have always done dumb stuff like that... only that today you get a much bigger audience with much more effect than in pre-internet times.
Well, she probably won´t do much traveling to the US or via the USA for the years to come.... consequences of dumb behavior are also bigger these days....plus she is probably going to be terrified for a couple of days too.
However i am quite surprised that none of the replies mentioned Guantanamo or Waterboarding  

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm not sure which has more idiots, the DHS or Twitter.
E pur si muove -Galileo

DLPMMM

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):

You can't spell Twitter without Twit!!   

jetblastdubai

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:15 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 3):
Because she is a kid and kids have always done dumb stuff like that

There is no age limit for being an idiot.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/13/aldon-...rs-chris-culliver-arrested-at-lax/
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

LAXdude1023

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:37 pm

What a moron. No pity for her whatever the consequence.
Religion is the root of evil...

tommy1808

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):

So a DHS employee using Twitter is a thread to the very existence of reality i presume? 

Gruß
Thomas

abirda

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Has anyone seen any confirmation from American Airlines? All the stories conveniently mention that the company deletied its alleged tweet. I'm starting to wonder if it ever existed, or if a girl managed to pull of an epic publicity stunt with the help of photoshop.

The whole things just seems a little off.

jetblue1965

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:05 pm

both sides are partially at fault. The girl being an idiot, and the airline for that harsh tweet that looks very cold and overreacting.

The whole world can see how dumb the girl was, but I don't think AA earned any positive press out of this either.

seansasLCY

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Its being reported on twitter that the girl has been arrested.

"Michael van Poppel ‏@mpoppel 5m
Dutch police spokeswoman tells BNO News the 14-year-old girl was arrested after their own investigation, not on request of AA or FBI"

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 10):
the airline for that harsh tweet that looks very cold and overreacting.

What on earth is an airline supposed to do? Offer a hot towel?

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 8):
So a DHS employee using Twitter is a thread to the very existence of reality i presume? 

It's what black holes are made of
E pur si muove -Galileo

jetblue1965

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:22 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 12):

The airline could deal with the manner more privately. If rumor is true that AA deleted their own tweet, then their first response probably wasn't their best response either.

777STL

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:34 pm

both sides are partially at fault. The girl being an idiot, and the airline for that harsh tweet that looks very cold and overreacting.

Harsh tweet? How else do you recommend they respond to someone making a terroristic threat, if only a fake one? They had no idea that was a 14 year old girl on the other end and it shouldn’t have mattered anyway. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The next time she wants to impress all her Twitter friends by issuing fake threats, she’ll think twice.

That’s the problem with people and the internet these days. They think they can say whatever they want, insult whoever they want, and it’s all completely harmless and anonymous. Not this time.
PHX based

bennett123

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Lots of teens do dumb things.

I suspect that after a long chat down at police hq that her twitter account will go silent for a very long time.

I doubt that many people will want to copy her.

jetblue1965

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Quoting 777stl (Reply 14):

Harsh tweet? How else do you recommend they respond to someone making a terroristic threat, if only a fake one? They had no idea that was a 14 year old girl on the other end and it shouldn’t have mattered anyway. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The next time she wants to impress all her Twitter friends by issuing fake threats, she’ll think twice.

That’s the problem with people and the internet these days. They think they can say whatever they want, insult whoever they want, and it’s all completely harmless and anonymous. Not this time.

The girl is definitely at fault, no question about that.

My point is if AA's response was the proper one, why did they have to delete their own tweet within an hour ?

tommy1808

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:40 pm

And it would be so easy to use TOR or an anonymous VPN network to do bullshit like this. Or go to an internet café, or find an open Wifi network...... or a combination of the above.

best regards
Thomas

777STL

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Maybe law enforcement told them to do that when they contacted them to report it? Maybe they realized they shouldn’t have dignified her Tweet with a response as it just draws attention?
PHX based

jetblastdubai

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

SouthernDC9

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Supposedly this young lady has been arrested.

Generally speaking, if an airline receives a terrorist threat of any sort and they reply with something along the lines of LOLZ (as some people seem to be suggesting here) I would not have total confidence in that airline's commitment to safety.

Also, had AA not responded forcefully, I imagine there would be at least a few trial lawyers looking to stage a class action suit on behalf of all the innocent people scheduled to travel on AA on June 1 whose lives were jeopardized by AA's inaction in response to a threat of terrorism. AA was likely covering their AA$$ more than anything else.
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

135mech

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:16 pm

Hello,

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 16):

The girl is definitely at fault, no question about that.

My point is if AA's response was the proper one, why did they have to delete their own tweet within an hour ?

So, AA deleted their tweet because (and it was stated) to be able to focus on the rest of their customers, and they would have been overwhelmed with too many responses from that one tweet.

Did you not see that she gained 3,000+ new followers from just sending that tweet? That worries me that SO many people liked her stupid threat...

And then she said she wanted to be "Demi Lavato famous, not Osama Bin Laden famous"... she meant to do this for her own personal gain...

AA did NOT do anything wrong, so criticizing AA for being "harsh" is probably not the best thing to say to a great deal of aviation enthusiasts.

Here are two links:
http://www.webpronews.com/american-a...rts-teens-terrorist-tweets-2014-04
and
http://myfox8.com/2014/04/13/teen-ha...error-threat-to-american-airlines/

“At American, the safety of our passengers and crew is our number one priority,” American said in a statement. “We take security matters very seriously and work with authorities on a case by case basis.”

My thoughts that I posted on one of the pages:
Those of you that say "she's just a teenager, lighten up" ... GET REAL!!! Sadly, she's a spoiled brat that needs to grow up! Most of you that state things like that are the first ones to complain when the gov't couldn't prevent 9-11, and love to blame! She and others like her are the ones that are stupid and shoot up high schools, stab other students, and then blame others for their actions! American Airlines did the RIGHT thing and did it swiftly, GOOD JOB AA!!!
This is truly a sad representation of 'wonderful' parents and parenting!!! In one of the follow up tweets, she lies and blames her friend...then goes back and says she was joking...She was WELL taught in her up-bringing!

Later on, she lied, then made jokes about it... according to the first link I posted, she was arrested.

There are too many sad/dumb people in this world!

AND this just happened today...man tried to open hatch in flight...
http://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/tr...airlines-sacramento-255137331.html

ALSO this one...idiot NFL San Fran player Aldon Smith claimed to have a bomb
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-san...o-49er-jailed-for-lax-bomb-threat/

SO...everyone defending that stupid girl...please state WHY she needs defending when all of this happens so often and so much???

Regards,
135Mech

[Edited 2014-04-14 11:01:38]
135Mech

Finn350

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 pm

I think it is absolutely right to have zero tolerance on these threats. Here in Finland we have had a couple of school shootings and the police has a zero tolerance on any threats regarding those in the internet. It does not matter if it is a 14-year old or not, the person making the threat will be interrogated by the police. Usually they understand very quickly that they have made a mistake. I think that is the only right thing to do, if you just ignore some threats and react to others, it is not viable.

135mech

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:49 pm

Here is a more detailed list of her idiocy... she really had no sense of morals!
http://twitchy.com/2014/04/13/im-not...hreat-sparks-panicked-explanation/
On this you can see she gained over 13,000 followers just from her stupidity!!! SAD!

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 26):
I wonder what it's like to get banned from a country before you've ended puberty? This is Kardashian-level stupid. I have no sympathy.

I LOVED this!!! ^^^

135Mech

[Edited 2014-04-14 12:20:09]
135Mech

YYZYYT

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 12):
the airline for that harsh tweet that looks very cold and overreacting.

Well, for a fee...

Seriously: of course AA had to report it to the authorities. But what struck me as odd was telling the potential perp that the phone's particulars had been given to the authorities....

atcsundevil

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:08 pm

I wonder what it's like to get banned from a country before you've ended puberty? This is Kardashian-level stupid. I have no sympathy.

panampaul

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:21 pm

It may come to no one's surprise that the girl was arrested by Rotterdam police today.

#FAIL: Teenager Tweets Terrorist Threat to American Airlines - Dutch Police Arrest Girl in Rotterdam

Quote:
A 14-year-old girl named Sarah using the Twitter handle @QueenDemetriax_ sent a threatening tweet to American Airlines early Sunday and the response, both on the part of the airline and the online community, was swift.

The note, which in part read “My name is Ibrahim and I’m from Afghanistan” concluded with “I’m going to do something really big bye,” received an immediate reply from American’s social media team, which effectively pointed out that pranks on Twitter have more consequences than those perpetrated in the schoolyard....

tommy1808

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Quoting 135mech (Reply 21):
Did you not see that she gained 3,000+ new followers from just sending that tweet? That worries me that SO many people liked her stupid threat...

pretty normal reaction after a decade of Homeland Security Advisory System that iirc never has been below yellow and ~1000 or so supposed terror plots that have been foiled, with little to none of that ever showing up in court rooms. Terrorists threats are a joke because governments made them a joke. They yelled "fire" a little bit too much.....

best regards
Thomas

Arcrftlvr

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:33 pm

First life lesson...you can't post things on social media with impunity. The dummy is a monumental moron and should be banned from having a computer or any other device that allows you to communicate with others. Stupid.

icebird757

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:50 pm

Just saw on Twitter that a couple of hours ago some girl made a threat of some sort to WN. If you look at their twitter page, they have sent the persons info to the appropriate authorities. I would post the persons twitter handle but I don't want to get kicked off here since the handle includes a 4 letter word that starts with c.
LGB....where you can watch the grass grow because the traffic is so slow.

Mir

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:55 pm

What part of "we take threats seriously and we're investigating this" is harsh, cold or overreacting? American's response was perfectly appropriate. They didn't escalate the issue, they just responded with their position and left it at that.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 13):
The airline could deal with the manner more privately.

Why? Dealing with it privately only benefits the girl - the amount of press the story has gotten, and the amount of negativity directed toward her, is a strong message that her actions have consequences, above and beyond whatever the police do with her (and I do hope they press charges).

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 24):
Seriously: of course AA had to report it to the authorities. But what struck me as odd was telling the potential perp that the phone's particulars had been given to the authorities....

It's a great way to warn off people who might be thinking of doing the same thing.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JimJupiter

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Because she is a kid and kids have always done dumb stuff like that... only that today you get a much bigger audience with much more effect than in pre-internet times.
Well, she probably won´t do much traveling to the US or via the USA for the years to come.... consequences of dumb behavior are also bigger these days....plus she is probably going to be terrified for a couple of days too.

This should sum it up perfectly. It's sad to see how people have become so thin-skinned about everything "terror"-related, even if it's an obvious joke or just plain stupidity. What's the point in screaming for the harshest punishment?
One is born, one runs up bills, one dies.

jetblue1965

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
Why? Dealing with it privately only benefits the girl - the amount of press the story has gotten, and the amount of negativity directed toward her, is a strong message that her actions have consequences, above and beyond whatever the police do with her (and I do hope they press charges).

If dealing it publicly was the best response, why did AA delete their own tweet ?

SouthernDC9

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 33):
If dealing it publicly was the best response, why did AA delete their own tweet ?

Because the girl's account got suspended and/or went private, thus rendering AA's initial response somewhat irrelevant...

Because the story blew up (so to speak) to the extent that it was bigger than a mere twitter response...

Because the AA tweet served its purpose...

Because they wanted to for whatever reason and are completely within their rights to do so...
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

solarflyer22

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:13 pm

You have to take it seriously unfortunately even if its a prank.

Plus I think you have to make an example out of someone so this thing doesn't happen all the time. That's why I always tell kids not to become the example.

jetblueguy22

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Kids do dumb things like getting caught with a case of beer in the woods. This is way too far to let it just slide.

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
What part of "we take threats seriously and we're investigating this" is harsh, cold or overreacting? American's response was perfectly appropriate. They didn't escalate the issue, they just responded with their position and left it at that.

Couldn't agree more.

People need to think before they post on the internet. Even pranks and jokes come off wrong without the proper context. Yeah it may have been a joke. But you don't joke about aviation safety.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

jetblue1965

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 32):
Because the story blew up (so to speak) to the extent that it was bigger than a mere twitter response...

I'd keep the tweets there forever as a deterrent to future idiots.

dtw2hyd

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 11):

Why waste a hot towel. Let her get a job. Lure her to invest in AA. File C11. That should teach her lifetime lesson.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 31):

Technically AA cannot claim they have her IP address. Twitter has it, and obviously they will turn it over to authorities.

Also she being in EU, both AA and Twitter will be in violation of EU privacy laws, particularly if AA Security team in here. Probably the AA twitter team posted and later legal team asked them to remove.

BTW, anyone know what prompted her to post this message.

[Edited 2014-04-14 14:27:13]

JoePatroni707

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:03 pm

This is the best part of being over 40... I did all my stupid stuff before the internet... Plain old fashond crank calls...No caller ID, no *69..... just .. "Hi...is your refigerator running?? .... Well you better go catch it!"

stlgph

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 pm

On and a totally different note - google the US Airways twitter buzzfeed.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 31):

Having run a social media team, it served its purpose. Cut it and move on.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

slvrblt

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Quoting 135mech (Reply 20):
My thoughts that I posted on one of the pages:
Those of you that say "she's just a teenager, lighten up" ... GET REAL!!! Sadly, she's a spoiled brat that needs to grow up! Most of you that state things like that are the first ones to complain when the gov't couldn't prevent 9-11, and love to blame! She and others like her are the ones that are stupid and shoot up high schools, stab other students, and then blame others for their actions! American Airlines did the RIGHT thing and did it swiftly, GOOD JOB AA!!!
This is truly a sad representation of 'wonderful' parents and parenting!!! In one of the follow up tweets, she lies and blames her friend...then goes back and says she was joking...She was WELL taught in her up-bringing!

Later on, she lied, then made jokes about it... according to the first link I posted, she was arrested.

There are too many sad/dumb people in this world!

Bingo. Well said.
..everything works out in the end.

usxguy

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Oh poor USAirways... they could have at least used a 777 in their own livery! Or American's...
xx

seat1a

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:48 pm

Maybe CNN will provide round-the-clock coverage of this incident.

usxguy

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:15 pm

except they know EXACTLY where that 777 is...
xx

opethfan

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:22 pm

Quoting seat1a (Reply 41):

US certainly provided around the c*** coverage of their own.

Sorry, everyone.

KarelXWB

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Quoting PanAmPaul (Reply 25):
It may come to no one's surprise that the girl was arrested by Rotterdam police today.

Arrested seems like a big word:

Quote:
A police spokesman told the Associated Press that the girl turned herself in to Rotterdam authorities and is now being questioned.

It's Holland, she will walk again after being questioned.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

dtw2hyd

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:32 pm

That explains why they found only pings but no debris.

Looks like AA/US is having trouble with their social media teams. Was there any town hall meeting how these two team will be integrated?

KarelXWB

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 45):
Looks like AA/US is having trouble with their social media teams. Was there any town hall meeting how these two team will be integrated?

I would not bet on it. Social media services are usually being outsourced by a 3rd party company.

[Edited 2014-04-14 15:37:28]
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

usxguy

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:41 pm

But not at the airlines.. many of the people working the Facebook/Twitter teams are actual CSA's or "super" CSA's. At least that is the case at WestJet, Alaska, Mokulele Airlines, American (*mostly*), Delta, KLM...
xx

stlgph

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:58 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 46):
I would not bet on it. Social media services are usually being outsourced by a 3rd party company.

At a corporation that big on that scope? In house.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

135mech

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 26):
They yelled "fire" a little bit too much.....

best regards
Thomas

I agree, and it is sad too!

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 32):
Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 33):

Because the girl's account got suspended and/or went private, thus rendering AA's initial response somewhat irrelevant...

Because they wanted to for whatever reason and are completely within their rights to do so...

Agreed!

135Mech
135Mech

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos