Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bcoz
Topic Author

Pax Threatens To Open Door On WN MDW-SMF Flight

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:31 pm

Hope I'm not repeating a post here. I did a quick scan and didn't see anything. See the story below from WMAQ here in Chicago about yesterday's diversion of WN722 (MDW-SMF) to OMA after a passenger threatened to open a door in flight.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/tr...airlines-sacramento-255137331.html

You'd think I'd know, but I don't.... Would it not be impossible to open a door (or exit) midair because of either locking mechanisms and/or physics?

bcoz

AA737-823

RE: Pax Threatens To Open Door On WN MDW-SMF Flight

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Quoting bcoz (Thread starter):
You'd think I'd know, but I don't.... Would it not be impossible to open a door (or exit) midair because of either locking mechanisms and/or physics?

On a 737 it's impossible; the main doors are plug-style, and the overwing exits are electrically locked above certain speeds during takeoff roll.

The A320, on the other hand... does not use plug-style doors. Rather, they drop vertically into locked place, and I don't know whether they're electrically locked at that point or not.

Goldenshield

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:11 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 1):
The A320, on the other hand... does not use plug-style doors. Rather, they drop vertically into locked place, and I don't know whether they're electrically locked at that point or not.

All cabin doors are plug doors when they are closed and locked. On outward moving doors, such as the A320, but also on airstair doors such as seen on the Q400, there are various seats and stops that the door rests on, and cams that lock the door into place, whose operating mechanisms would snap before the cams budged given the air pressure load on the door.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

jetblastdubai

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:34 am

Professional "News" people blew this story as well.

http://www.omaha.com/article/2014041...ly-in-kansas-new-evidence-suggests

strfyr51

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:37 am

I've seen this happen before, The Problem is related to Claustrophobia,
The passenger feels trapped and out of control.
Former Raider's coach John Madden has the syndrome as well. Some people need to feel in charge of their surroundings and being an an airplane where they can't see who's driving or be able to Druve themselves is maddening to tham.
This guy had better take the BUS next time he needs to travel.
Flying is hard enough without people like HIM on board. Some folks don't NEED to fly.
We've had fear of flying classes for YEARS at United. I personally know of a number of divorces because of it
(mine was one of them) It Happens.

joeljack

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:40 am

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140414/GO/140419004#.U00Lv3y9KSM

This is best part of this story!! CBS morning show has omaha in Kansas on the map when referring to the story. Niiiccceee! Whoever made this map should be fired for not knowing some basic 5th grade geography! funny but sad.

aerdingus

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:54 am

Ha! I would say go right ahead and try....
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

b727fa

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:16 pm

As with aerdingus I'd say, "Feel free. And you, sir. Something to drink?" 
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

AA737-823

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 2):
All cabin doors are plug doors when they are closed and locked. On outward moving doors, such as the A320, but also on airstair doors such as seen on the Q400, there are various seats and stops that the door rests on, and cams that lock the door into place, whose operating mechanisms would snap before the cams budged given the air pressure load on the door.

You're not an airline mechanic, are you?

What you've said is like saying that all cars are minivans, once loaded with people.

Cams and rollers DO NOT a "plug style" door make.
And the A320 main cabin doors are NOT plug doors. They may have mechanisms that accomplish the same goal, sure. But a plug door is larger than the opening through which it translates, and the A320- and many newer Boeing designs- are not of that type.

Iloveboeing

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:13 pm

It sounds like a mentally ill person who is not taking their medicine. This seems to be case on many incidents on flights like this. As someone who has a mental illness, seeing things like this happen continually remind me of the importance of taking medication and listening to the doctors. Mentally ill people can live normal lives, as long as they are not reckless with their decision making and go off of their medicine. I've done it before and it's not pleasant.

Goldenshield

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 8):
You're not an airline mechanic, are you?

What you've said is like saying that all cars are minivans, once loaded with people.

Hey, I'm trying to dumb it down for the OP so that he understands that the door cannot be opened because of mechanical stresses caused by air pressure and how the door is rigged, but you're more than welcome to overload the guy with engineering babble if you wish.

And that's a terrible comparison.

[Edited 2014-04-15 12:35:47]
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

prebennorholm

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:06 am

Quoting Joeljack (Reply 5):
This is best part of this story!! CBS morning show has omaha in Kansas on the map when referring to the story. Niiiccceee! Whoever made this map should be fired for not knowing some basic 5th grade geography! funny but sad.

Oh, well, Kansas and Nebraska are neighbor states, so it was really only a minor inaccuracy. If only the press never provided information way less accurate than that, then we would all be a lot better informed.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

737tdi

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:52 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 1):
On a 737 it's impossible; the main doors are plug-style, and the overwing exits are electrically locked above certain speeds during takeoff roll.

You are right that they are electrically locked but they lock when the throttles are advanced and the engines accelerate. If you are sitting next to the door and know what to listen for you can hear them lock. I have had to change a few of the solenoids due to failure. You get a PSEU fault when they fail.

RWA380

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:31 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 4):
This guy had better take the BUS next time he needs to travel.
Flying is hard enough without people like HIM on board. Some folks don't NEED to fly.

Funny, I used to work for a guy whos child was autistic, fortunately they were wealthy enough to afford one of the best schools in the country. Three unfortunate things were, the school was in Boston, we all lived in Portland OR, and the kid would not fly, so twice a year my boss would fly one way, and take Amtrak with the kid in a sleeper car.

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 4):
I personally know of a number of divorces because of it
(mine was one of them) It Happens.

Wow, sorry to hear that man. It's sad when something ends that was once beautiful. But I honestly had never heard of a couple divorcing someone because they can't fly and the other loves to fly. But this is an honest feeling, and I get it. I'm sure it was far more complicated than that, thanks for sharing.

Quoting iloveboeing (Reply 9):

It sounds like a mentally ill person who is not taking their medicine. This seems to be case on many incidents on flights like this. As someone who has a mental illness, seeing things like this happen continually remind me of the importance of taking medication and listening to the doctors. Mentally ill people can live normal lives, as long as they are not reckless with their decision making and go off of their medicine. I've done it before and it's not pleasant.

You make perfect sense, I have a partner that suffers with mental illness, and we have been fortunate enough to find a Dr who really cares, and he found a once a month injection of a drug called invega. No more daily meds to remember or forget as was most of the time. The alter ego is a tough person for me to cope with, a reason I didn't fly for 5 years, I never knew when the other side would show. Now we regularly go to Hawaii and he sleps most of the way, even in F. Thanks for the honesty, and the promotion of mental awareness, something very dear to my heart. Peace!
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos