Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flySFO
Topic Author

SJC Adding More International Gates

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 pm

According to their monthly newsletter, SJC is converting the two gates at the end of Terminal B closest to the International Arrivals Facility into swing international gates. Gate 17 and Gate 18 used to be Delta gates before DL moved to Terminal A a few years back. Since then, these gates are technically WN/AS gates, although in my experience they sit empty most of the time.

The newsletter says a sterile glass corridor will be added, which I assume will attach to the existing sterile corridor between Gate 15 and 16 (current international gates). Does anyone have access to the plans for this, would be cool to see!

Additionally, what (if anything) can we derive from this news in terms of near-future international service being added to SJC? Also, since these two gates are currently only capable of handling narrow-body aircraft, will the presence of a wide-body at one gate require closing off the other gate?

Source: http://www.icontact-archive.com/jMHNl7LgMIMEDs_QRtCqMNvl2p8Jk-Bg?w=1

hiflyeras

RE: SJC Adding More International Gates

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 am

I'd love to see AS start service SJC-MEX...I don't believe anyone currently flies that route. Not that you'd need an extra gate for that!

wedgetail737

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:55 am

I hope the ANA service is showing that SJC is a good 787 market.

BoeingGuy

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:08 am

What are the probable international markets for SJC?

They now have NRT, SJD and 2 x GDL each day.

I could see MEX and LHR being the next markets that need international gates (YYZ, YYC, and YVR could arrive at normal domestic gates). KE was rumored. Maybe AS will add back PVR also.

So maybe in a best case scenario, we could have these arrivals needing international gates:

NRT, ICN, LHR, GDL (2x), SJD, MEX. PVR.

aal151heavy

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:13 am

As noted in the newsletter:

These will accommodate a range of aircraft including wide-bodies such as the Airbus A330 and Boeing 777.

I am hoping for big!   
My airliners.net photos

RWA380

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:13 am

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 2):

I hope the ANA service is showing that SJC is a good 787 market.

I think on the West Coast SAN, SJC & PDX are all good 787 markets. PDX is just waiting for BA from LHR.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 3):
So maybe in a best case scenario, we could have these arrivals needing international gates:

NRT, ICN, LHR, GDL (2x), SJD, MEX. PVR.

I agree there are several possibilities, SJC is doing the boy scout thing, Being prepared.

I think the idea that SJC will be able to attract more international interest with the expanded facilities in place already, I'm sure SJC is preparing for the inevitable shift towards more international service.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

S75752

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:25 am

It makes me dream of SJC making a comeback to the AA glory days...
Then I read that it's only two more gates. I can dream, I can dream.

BoeingGuy

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 6):
It makes me dream of SJC making a comeback to the AA glory days...

SJC isn't really far off the AA glory days now for international service. They have NH. AA mostly just had NRT. CDG and TPE only lasted six months.

However, I find it very curious that SJC has no Canada service. AC served YYZ at one time, and YOW for a short time. Several carriers have served SJC-YVR.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 5):
I think on the West Coast SAN, SJC & PDX are all good 787 markets. PDX is just waiting for BA from LHR.

Yep, I think SJC is waiting for BA from LHR too, just like AUS. I also believe that if DL discontinues PDX-NRT, NH will step in to PDX.

anonms

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 pm

As nifty as more international gates at SJC would be, I shudder at the idea of multiple flights arriving within a short timespan. Their FIS facility really isn't very large (although they do have a lot of space for queueing because of how the arrivals corridor is setup, I guess), and I'm not that fond of how it's not actually near either parking garage (nor does it have a convenient walkway to the nearest one).
This is my signature.

SANFan

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:59 pm

This preparedness for the future by expanding int'l-arrival-capable facilities (2 new gates) is a smart and not surprising move by the management of SJC. I don't know that it signifies any particular time frame for new int'l service but it is certainly good to plan ahead.

And this is really a perfect situation in that gates 17 and 18 will still be usable as domestic gates but if/when needed for int'l arrivals, they will be ready.

Quoting flySFO (Thread starter):
Also, since these two gates are currently only capable of handling narrow-body aircraft, will the presence of a wide-body at one gate require closing off the other gate?

Good question. I was just looking at the maps/satellite photos of SJC (not many a/c present!) and it may very well be that even with the 2 new int'l-capable gates, the airport would only be able to handle 2 int'l wide-body arrivals (787s or larger) at one time. So it seems a no-brainer that the existing 2 gates are not enough for even a moderate increase in intercontinental flights.

Has anyone been through the FIS facilities at Maneta lately? I wonder if the inner areas (immigration check, baggage claim, inspection lanes, etc.) would be capable of handling multiple arrivals of large a/c? It'll be great to be able to unload a couple of 787s (or larger) at the same time but only if the arriving pax can be processed easily and quickly.

bb

anonms

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:42 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 9):
Has anyone been through the FIS facilities at Maneta lately?

It could probably handle two low- or medium-density widebodies if all the counters are open, but there's not a lot of queueing space unless you include the arrivals corridor. I didn't have a very long line when I went through there last year, but I was also towards the front of the Y cabin and I walk very, very briskly.
This is my signature.

RWA380

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:07 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 7):
Yep, I think SJC is waiting for BA from LHR too, just like AUS. I also believe that if DL discontinues PDX-NRT, NH will step in to PDX

I think NH would be a very welcome addition at PDX, I doubt JL would jump in unless they inked a deal with AS.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 7):
Several carriers have served SJC-YVR

OC - http://www.departedflights.com/OC050187.html

I thought QQ, but they only did YVR-RNO-YVR - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ052297.html

AC I think, was there anyone else? I don't think CP ever flew to SJC and PW only did SEA in the USA.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

BoeingGuy

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 11):

I thought QQ, but they only did YVR-RNO-YVR - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ052297.html

AC I think, was there anyone else? I don't think CP ever flew to SJC and PW only did SEA in the USA.

AA did SJC-YVR. CP did do it for a short time. They had a regional subsidiary and flew to SJC with F28s, AC never flew to YVR from SJC. I thought QQ did it at one point too but need to verify that.

tylersmithsjc

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm really hoping for a new international carrier like AM even though most likely AS will be the next one to add flights. My money is on AS adding PVR. Y4 gets the passengers connecting onto MEX CUN TLC and other Mexican airports while AS gets the passengers heading off on vacation. SJC is doing the right thing though be being prepaired and tempting the international carriers.
SJC/CLD

as739x

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:16 pm

BA with a 787 supplementing SFO service does seem like a promising thought and one I would love to see.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 3):
I could see MEX and LHR being the next markets that need international gates (YYZ, YYC, and YVR could arrive at normal domestic gates). KE was rumored. Maybe AS will add back PVR also.

I wouldn't hold my breath on PVR. Been a dying market. AS has more profitable routes to be flying with their fleet. Specially as they are on the defensive with DL at the moment.

KE would be a night. But with the SFO operations up that only occasional even gets a 77W, demand for Korean connections to NorCal seem limited compared to LAX.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 12):
AA did SJC-YVR. CP did do it for a short time. They had a regional subsidiary and flew to SJC with F28s, AC never flew to YVR from SJC. I thought QQ did it at one point too but need to verify that.

F28's, there is a blast from the past!!! Both major Canadian carriers at the time flirted with SJC during the Silicon Valley growth.

Quoting TylerSmithSJC (Reply 13):
AS will be the next one to add flights. My money is on AS adding PVR.

See above about AS
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

SFOA380

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:19 am

Quoting as739x (Reply 14):
KE would be a night. But with the SFO operations up that only occasional even gets a 77W, demand for Korean connections to NorCal seem limited compared to LAX.

Demand is huge. Four carriers compete on SFO-ICN. SJC-ICN makes sense probably for Samsung alone. Their NA HQ is in San Jose...

BoeingGuy

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Quoting as739x (Reply 14):
I wouldn't hold my breath on PVR. Been a dying market.

Is PVR a dying market? I know MZT is, but I didn't realize PVR is. I thought it was a pretty neat place.

So what are the "in" markets? SJD?

2travel2know2

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:10 am

Former Taca SAL-OAK was a fiasco, but since it's AV now, perhaps there's future for something like SAL-SJC and SAL-ONT/SNA, depending on the Salvadorian community in California.
However, as for SAL-SAN and SAL-SMF I'm not sure.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

S75752

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:12 am

Perhaps AC could pick up SJC-YVR with a CRJ 200. Would probably be preclearance anyways, though.

dolphinflyer

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 am

I would add SJC-PEK with HU (daily 787) and SJC-DOH with QR daily 787) as routes within the realm of possibilities over the next few years. China is a growing market and the DOH flight would provide connections to multiple points in south Asian for the South Bay's huge East Indian population.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos