Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SANFan
Topic Author

SAN-TIJ Cross-Border Facility Update

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:26 pm

An article in the local newspaper here in San Diego reports that the border-crossing project has moved forward and construction may begin as early as next month.
Here's a link: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...rossing-airport-tijuana-san-diego/

The facility could be open for business mid-2015 and the fee to use it -- to walk across the enclosed bridge from California to the TIJ airport terminal -- is mentioned as $13-17 per person.

To be honest, I'm surprised the idea has gotten this far along and I'm not convinced that it will be a success if it does open. But that's just my opinion.

bb

rwy04lga

RE: SAN-TIJ Cross-Border Facility Update

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:50 pm

I crossed that border into the US with only my Delta ID and LGA SIDA ID. But the fact that I know my passport and green card numbers by heart helped.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

psa1011

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 pm

I would imagine AM would compete JL with flights to Asia, which could get interesting.

MIflyer12

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:27 pm

This will be very good for intra-Mexico flights vs. taxes and customs fees payable for departures from SAN and LAX. These charges are eliminated with a foot crossing (although Mexican VAT is added):

US International Departure Tax (US) $17.50
US International Arrival Tax (US) $17.50
Mexican Tourist Tax (UK) $23.16
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00

LAXintl

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Biggest benefit of this is allow folks to take domestic Mexican flights while conveniently parking on the US side.

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 2):
I would imagine AM would compete JL with flights to Asia, which could get interesting.

AM only flies one-way via TIJ on NRT. Returns are nonstop to MEX. PVG is both ways via TIJ but supposed to go nonstop return MEX with 787s at end of year also.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SCQ83

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Are the Shanghai and Tokyo flights sold in both directions?

psa1011

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 4):

My mistake, although I wonder if AM would consider splitting the service once more to attract SAN travelers (not likely, but...).

SANFan
Topic Author

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 6):
I wonder if AM would consider splitting the service once more to attract SAN travelers (not likely, but...)

I really don't see why anyone would go through the hassle of crossing into Mexico to fly from So Cal to Asia. (I doubt they had many such pax flying via TIJ before JL started flying nonstop from SAN.)

Like LAXintl said, this service will be primarily for those living on the US side of the border who want to fly (domestically) from TIJ to points in Mexico (at lower fares of course.)

I assume the crossing fee (somewhere around $15US) will need to be paid in each direction - when departing and again upon return (including going thru the U.S. customs/immigration check in the new facility.)

To me, the big question is whether this will impact the nonstop service from Lindbergh Field to points in Mexico that currently exists? My feeling (and hope) is that it won't affect AS or NK service, but I'm not sure about Volaris... (And who knows, we may even see AS -- or ?? -- start flying from SAN to additional points in Mexico, such as GDL and MEX, as a result.)

I'm pretty sure that IF (or when) this new facility does open, it will certainly change the dynamics of travel between the San Diego region -- and maybe even places north of San Diego county -- and Mexico.

bb

LatinPlane

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 5):
Are the Shanghai and Tokyo flights sold in both directions?

Yes, AM has a sale right now for $999 from TIJ to NRT round trip.

http://www.aeromexico.com/mx/promociones/vuela-a-tokio.html

While TIJ is most definitely a technical stop, depending on the time of the year, the stop adds anywhere between 14% to as much as 23% of the total load factor. As a matter of fact, during the short time the flight was switched to stop at Cabo in Jan of 2011 due to runway work being conducted at TIJ, the flight reported a 15% drop in passenger figures.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 4):
PVG is both ways via TIJ but supposed to go nonstop return MEX with 787s at end of year also.

I wasn't aware this was the case. At least not until the 789s get here, which won't be this or next year.

[Edited 2014-04-18 12:24:27]

[Edited 2014-04-18 12:26:05]
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

Boeing717200

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 3):

Customs and immigration will get their $30 bucks. Why do you think there's going to be a fee to use the place?

Article explains the operators will be funding Customs. Not sure which is going to be worse with this thing for people. Clearing customs twice (Mexico then the US) or paying for the pleasure of doing so.

[Edited 2014-04-18 13:32:28]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

LAXintl

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:41 pm

The direct bridge to the airport will have definite impact on Mexico services from SAN imo.

Instead of driving and parking at SAN, now just drive to Otay Mesa and park and simply walk across to the terminal and catch a flight for savings of what can be a few hundred dollars on competitively priced domestic services.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Boeing717200

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 10):

Volaris will probably jump ship, but The US carriers aren't going anywhere. That said, there are no doubt plenty of Mexican nationals with money that live in the US border cities away from the crime wave that hit in the last decade that will use the facility. It will be interesting to see how Mexico service stretches out because of it.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

SANFan
Topic Author

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 pm

I wonder if there might even end up being buses (LOTS of buses) loading up with Mexico-bound travelers in the LA and Orange County areas that might dump the people at the facility as an easier and quicker way of getting across the border and onto flights out of TJ. If the air fare savings is enough, a minimal charge for the bus ride could make this place VERY popular in a couple of years.

It would also mean the buses would never actually enter Mexico which could increase the number of companies offering service from LA to TIJ. (I really have no idea what sorts of bus services are currently offered -- in both directions -- between TJ and LA.)

bb

LatinPlane

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:36 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 12):
I wonder if there might even end up being buses (LOTS of buses) loading up with Mexico-bound travelers in the LA and Orange County areas that might dump the people at the facility as an easier and quicker way of getting across the border and onto flights out of TJ. If the air fare savings is enough, a minimal charge for the bus ride could make this place VERY popular in a couple of years

Already in practice...

-
http://aeromexico.com/us/travel-info...ion/tijuana-california-cities.html

AeroMexico serves 53 cities in California via its Tijuana international hub. (kidding)

[Edited 2014-04-18 15:41:01]

[Edited 2014-04-18 15:43:11]

SANFan
Topic Author

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Quoting LatinPlane (Reply 13):
Already in practice...

Okay, thanks. (And I'm sure there are lots of others as well.) I assume they currently drop riders off right at Rodriguez Airport, correct? I don't know if there would be any advantage/reason to use this new facility instead...

Just trying to think of other ways the new facility might be used besides the obvious ones already stated.

bb

LatinPlane

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:16 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 14):
Okay, thanks. (And I'm sure there are lots of others as well.) I assume they currently drop riders off right at Rodriguez Airport, correct? I don't know if there would be any advantage/reason to use this new facility instead...

I think they drop their passengers along the border and from there people take a cab. It would definitely increase such ridership as the hassle of going through the border and waiting several hours would be eliminated.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos