olddominion727
Topic Author

Why No Stars & Stripes On The New AA Winglets?

Fri May 02, 2014 11:54 pm

I think it would make this new plane sexier. It's taken me a while to accept the new livery. I agree the old one needed change, I still don't totally like it, but I think the winglets/sharklets could use something that matches the tail

TWA772LR

RE: Why No Stars & Stripes On The New AA Winglets?

Sat May 03, 2014 12:16 am

Its even worse on some of the 763s with the old style winglets mixed with the new livery.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Wingtips56

Sat May 03, 2014 12:44 am

I've wondered why they didn't come out with a winglet logo from the get-go too. My thought at the time was that they hadn't decided how to rebrand/re-logo AA.com, AAdvantage and some of the other old AA logos. By now, though, they've had time to come up with something. Blank winglets/sharklets are boring when you're looking out the window for hours on end, so some "art" would be nice.

I think they will eventually retrofit a winglet logo, though just the new "flight symbol" will never have the instant recognition of the AA-scissor Eagle logo to stand on it's own. Not much of the striped tail logo would fit on a winglet either enough to recognize in the out-the-window family photos either.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 180 airports, 90 airlines, 75 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,117,006 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

aerokiwi

Sat May 03, 2014 12:47 am

Isn't what they have enough? How much more garish and in your face does it need to be? They're called American. Tick. They have a giant stylised flag splashed across the tail and then some. Tick. We get it. You're from a particular country. Duh.

There's a lot to be said for less-is-more.

ThePinnacleKid

Sat May 03, 2014 12:52 am

I for one am in agreement with aerokiwi.... LESS is more.... if anything... I would hope that whatever they do is in a VERY muted silver scale and blends away on the winglet... i.e. the flight symbol in a gray scale relief.....
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

ER757

Sat May 03, 2014 12:58 am

I agree with the OP - blank winglets are BORING - examples - AF, BA, LH. C'mon guys, at least slap a little color on 'em even if you don't do the whole logo. AS just has stripes to match the cheat lines on the fuselage - it adds so much over the blank canvas that others use. Just my   

flyingcat

Sat May 03, 2014 3:50 am

You can't expect them to copy everything from Virgin America, can you??

richiemo

Sat May 03, 2014 1:36 pm

I agree that less is more. I have slowly come around on this livery and I liken the tail to Delta's wavy-gravy tail...meaning I don't so much like the design but I do like the splash of color. But I think if you add something to the winglet, then it will be too much, as small as the winglet may be. Now, having said that, I could argue that they could add the tail design to the inside of the winglet only. That way you see it from inside the plane, but not so much from the outside, where in the case of this livery, the winglet is best understated.

coolian2

Sat May 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Quoting ThePinnacleKid (Reply 4):
I for one am in agreement with aerokiwi.... LESS is more.... if anything... I would hope that whatever they do is in a VERY muted silver scale and blends away on the winglet... i.e. the flight symbol in a gray scale relief.....

Oooooh that would be the business. I'd dig that.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

global2

Sat May 03, 2014 5:17 pm

What about just the blue field of "stars" pattern? It would be more subtle without the red & white stripes.

nutsaboutplanes

Sat May 03, 2014 5:56 pm

I happen to like it. BA sports the Union Jack and several other airlines proudly displays their country of origins colors. I actually really like what Virgin America did with its sharklets, they look really nice. I could see something like that working very nicely on the AA fleet.

On a side note, I liked the "N" with the compass that NW had on the interior of the winglets on the B744"s when the bowling shoe colors were around......
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

BravoEchoNov

Sat May 03, 2014 6:03 pm

Maybe it would be an exact copy of Virgin America? They do this on their A320's

rikkus67

Sat May 03, 2014 6:59 pm

I have to agree, aerokiwi

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 3):
They have a giant stylised flag splashed across the tail and then some. Tick. We get it. You're from a particular country. Duh.

I have to agree with aerokiwi. Adding more colour in this case is NOT a good thing. K.I.S.S. applies to this scheme (Keep it SIMPLE, STUPID). No need to add more!
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

777STL

Sat May 03, 2014 7:21 pm

Isn't what they have enough? How much more garish and in your face does it need to be? They're called American. Tick. They have a giant stylised flag splashed across the tail and then some. Tick. We get it. You're from a particular country. Duh.

Yeah, I mean at least they're not painting their brand new aircraft all black in honor of some silly sports team, amiright?

PHX based

laca773

Sat May 03, 2014 7:22 pm

There's no need to be tart, aerokiwi. They are boring. You can do something very simple and discreet. It doesn't have to be loud and obnoxious. Possibly the re-designed eagle could be placed on it. The way the winglets are done on the majority of the fleet with the aa.com, is simple and discreet. So is a solid color. It would be nice if they did something with the engine cowlings too.

UGA777

Sat May 03, 2014 8:02 pm

I think they should put the new logo on the winglet and keep it the same color just with the logo in the middle.

rikkus67

Sat May 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Quoting 777stl (Reply 13):
Yeah, I mean at least they're not painting their brand new aircraft all black in honor of some silly sports team, amiright?

The "All Blacks" Rugby Team are internationally...well, maybe not in the USA... recognizable as an New Zealand product. The "All Black aircraft" are limited to only a few in the fleet.

A highly decorated winglet on the new American scheme would be too much, and distract from that garish tail.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

ER757

Sat May 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Quoting nutsaboutplanes (Reply 10):
BA sports the Union Jack a

I believe that 'sVS, not BA. Every BA 744 I've ever seen has blank gray winglets

nutsaboutplanes

Sat May 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 17):

I was speaking of the tail as aerokiwi had called the tail "garish" in reply #3. Since you mentioned it though, I like the UJ on the VS winglets as well!
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

aerokiwi

Sun May 04, 2014 12:19 am

Quoting nutsaboutplanes (Reply 10):
BA sports the Union Jack and several other airlines proudly displays their country of origins colors.
BA have blank winglets. Air France too. Virgin's are crass.

Quoting 777stl (Reply 13):

Well if you're going to get all parochial about it, as I knew someone would.... Don't assume that just because I have a particular flag next to my name that I'm wedded in loyalty to my home town airline. I fly with who suits my needs best.

In actual fact, if you'd seen my contributions to the many topics on NZ's mess of a new livery, you'd see I am particularly opposed to it for a variety of reasons. So while you may not like my opinion, at least I'm being consistent.

And actually, you're quite wrong. Most of the all-black aircraft are to special one-offs to promote the airline's sponsorship of our domestic rugby tournament. But the new new livery, including an all-black version to celebrate the first 787, is actually using a different fern logo that represents multiple government agencies, including our Tourism board. So it's even more of a mess. And it's awful. Jingoistic, hokey, pseudo-patriotic garbage.

Quoting laca773 (Reply 14):
There's no need to be tart, aerokiwi.

Tart? Meaning? I know some nationalities are big on flag waving. And that's fine. But in the field of branding and design, there's a limit. And the principle of "less is more" exists for a reason.

Quoting nutsaboutplanes (Reply 18):
I was speaking of the tail as aerokiwi had called the tail "garish" in reply #3.

Garish = "Obtrusively bright and showy; lurid". So yup, it's garish. I'd argue, deliberately so. Try not to take it personally. It's a corporation trying to make a dime.

[Edited 2014-05-03 17:26:38]

nutsaboutplanes

Sun May 04, 2014 1:02 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 19):

I think its beautiful, bold and unapologetically American  

aerokiwi

Sun May 04, 2014 1:16 am

Quoting nutsaboutplanes (Reply 20):
I think its beautiful, bold and unapologetically American  

Bold, yes, unapologetic, yes. Beautiful... well that's subjective. It's why I described it as "deliberately so".

So if it's all of these things already, why does it need even more?

nutsaboutplanes

Sun May 04, 2014 1:27 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 21):

I don't know that it needs it, I think its more a matter of finish. I actually didn't even think about it until the OP pointed it out but since the stars are missing from the stylized flag, a blue base coat with some stars may look rather handsome.

deltal1011man

Sun May 04, 2014 1:29 am

Quoting olddominion727 (Thread starter):

I'll bet it's cost. Cheaper for the one coat of paint. Same reason why Delta's are just blue.

spacecadet

Sun May 04, 2014 4:34 am

I won't be satisfied until they put the screaming chicken on their winglets, like the hood of a 1980 Pontiac Trans Am.

(Seriously, I agree with those that say there's a limit to the "American-ness" you can apply to an airplane livery before it becomes tacky, and AA's already right up against it.)

[Edited 2014-05-03 21:38:33]
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

ckfred

Sun May 04, 2014 10:50 pm

A friend of mine who flies for AA, while still hating the new livery, does think that the winglets need something other than solid silver/gray. The need becomes more pronounced, when AA gets 737MAXs with the scimitar winglets. The downward portion of the winglet will badly need a color, simply to catch the attention of drivers of ground vehicles.

If you remember the MD-11 winglets, the upper portion was simply unpainted, while the lower portion had the fuselage striping.

Not that the stripes would be easy to put on the lower portion of the 737 winglet, but AA could paint the upper portion blue and the lower portion red, ala the new logo.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos