dirtyfrankd
Topic Author

AA Merger Leads To On-time Gains Per Scott Kirby

Wed May 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Just came across this interesting article and didn't see it posted anywhere.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12699...-kirby.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

Highlights:

- April 2014 was the best month in the company's operating history, arguably due to improved employee morale

- Mainline completion factor of 99.7% in April

- 69.4% on-time time departures for mainline and 70.3% overall

- There are several planned initiatives to make financial gains

- Adding seats to Boeing 777-200s
- Adding seats to Boeing 737-800s
- Cutting capacity on Tuesday through Thursday, which is in line with current US practices
- Increasing capacity during key travel days (e.g. Sunday after Thanksgiving), in line with current US practices

- They see a lot of upside in the New York market and plan to make many improvements in New York. They may not be #1 in totality in New York but can be #1 on a handful routes out of New York. They expect to be profitable in New York in 2014.

commavia

RE: AA Merger Leads To On-time Gains Per Scott Kirby

Wed May 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Quoting dirtyfrankd (Thread starter):
- They see a lot of upside in the New York market and plan to make many improvements in New York. They may not be #1 in totality in New York but can be #1 on a handful routes out of New York. They expect to be profitable in New York in 2014.

To paraphrase Mark Twain - the reports of the death of AA in New York have been greatly exaggerated. AA isn't going anywhere in New York - has been a huge competitive force in that market for decades, and will continue to be going forward, especially now that it has the combined strength of both airlines to build upon.

I continue to believe that AA's long-term goal in the New York market is to further optimize its schedule more for O&D, focusing on attracting higher-yielding New York-area corporate demand, and shifting more of the connecting focus to PHL.

seabosdca

Wed May 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Their current fleet plan as I understand it does not allow for a lot of capacity flexibility -- lots of new aircraft that have to keep flying or lose lots of money. Will they keep a few MD-80s around longer than currently planned to provide that extra capacity when needed?

jetblue1965

Wed May 07, 2014 6:06 pm

A 70% on-time rate is worth highlighting ?

commavia

Wed May 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 2):
Their current fleet plan as I understand it does not allow for a lot of capacity flexibility -- lots of new aircraft that have to keep flying or lose lots of money. Will they keep a few MD-80s around longer than currently planned to provide that extra capacity when needed?

It looks to me like there's tons of flexibility - AA has literally hundreds of older 737s, 757s, A319s/A320s, MD80s, etc. than can be retired early or kept flying longer if need be.

Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 3):

When compared to less than 55% a year earlier, yes.

dirtyfrankd
Topic Author

Wed May 07, 2014 6:13 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 1):

To paraphrase Mark Twain - the reports of the death of AA in New York have been greatly exaggerated. AA isn't going anywhere in New York - has been a huge competitive force in that market for decades, and will continue to be going forward, especially now that it has the combined strength of both airlines to build upon.

I continue to believe that AA's long-term goal in the New York market is to further optimize its schedule more for O&D, focusing on attracting higher-yielding New York-area corporate demand, and shifting more of the connecting focus to PHL.

Agreed, as a New Yorker myself that is what I'm hoping to see. There are quite a few markets currently flown by Eagle which I would think could be axed altogether: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Montreal, Nashville, Norfolk, Pittsburgh, Raleigh/Durham, Toronto, and Washington

Surprisingly, it looks like they are adding mainline AA flights between JFK and DCA...not sure that I understand the logic behind that.

seabosdca

Wed May 07, 2014 6:13 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 4):
It looks to me like there's tons of flexibility - AA has literally hundreds of older 737s, 757s, A319s/A320s, MD80s, etc. than can be retired early or kept flying longer if need be.

As I understand it now they are planning to retire all of the MD-80s and most of the 757s. The older A319/A320 fleet is fully employed flying the PMUS network, and the newer fleet will have payments on it. I don't know about the older batch of 737-800s -- are they owned or leased?

commavia

Wed May 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Quoting dirtyfrankd (Reply 5):
There are quite a few markets currently flown by Eagle which I would think could be axed altogether: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Montreal, Nashville, Norfolk, Pittsburgh, Raleigh/Durham, Toronto, and Washington

I highly, highly doubt that CMH, YUL, BNA, PIT, RDU, YYZ and DCA will be cut from New York - these are core AA markets where AA has had a strong local presence for a very long time (in some cases literally 4-5 decades). Some of the other markets you list - which have very low frequency to JFK only, like BWI, CVG, CLE, IND - those I could definitely see getting cut as, again, those longhaul connections flow over PHL instead.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 6):
As I understand it now they are planning to retire all of the MD-80s and most of the 757s.

Well of course they're planning to retire them eventually - but again, AA has flexibility to speed up or slow down those retirements if conditions warrant.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 6):
The older A319/A320 fleet is fully employed flying the PMUS network, and the newer fleet will have payments on it.

New aircraft have higher ownership costs, but that's a tradeoff against generally lower fuel and maintenance costs. In this case, AA has long maintained - and apparently still feels - that the fuel and maintenance savings outweigh the higher ownership costs of these new jets.

N62NA

Wed May 07, 2014 6:32 pm

Looking forward to this getting north of 80%. Until then, I'm sure every AA flight I step onboard will be delayed a minimum of 30 minutes, as has been the case for at least the past 5 years.

dirtyfrankd
Topic Author

Wed May 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 7):

I highly, highly doubt that CMH, YUL, BNA, PIT, RDU, YYZ and DCA will be cut from New York - these are core AA markets where AA has had a strong local presence for a very long time (in some cases literally 4-5 decades). Some of the other markets you list - which have very low frequency to JFK only, like BWI, CVG, CLE, IND - those I could definitely see getting cut as, again, those longhaul connections flow over PHL instead.

Notice how I didn't say cut from New York, but rather, cut from JFK.

CMH, YUL, PIT, RDU, YYZ, and DCA are ALL currently flown from LGA on the new AA (DCA and PIT on US and the rest on AA), I see absolutely no need to serve them from JFK.

dirtyfrankd
Topic Author

Wed May 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Quoting dirtyfrankd (Reply 9):

CMH, YUL, PIT, RDU, YYZ, and DCA are ALL currently flown from LGA on the new AA (DCA and PIT on US and the rest on AA), I see absolutely no need to serve them from JFK.

In re-reading my post, it isn't clear that I was referring to JFK. My mistake...I was referring to cutting those destinations out of JFK and keeping them in LGA.

commavia

Wed May 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Ah, yes - in that case, I generally agree. I think some of those markets - DCA, YYZ and YUL, specifically - will still make sense to connect to JFK with at least a few daily flights because of the global connectivity offered over JFK, both with AA but also BA/Iberia and other partners, that PHL cannot replicate - I could see YYZ and YUL each being around 3x CR7 and DCA being 2x 738/2x CR7. Otherwise, though - I agree - move the connections to/from the rest to PHL and reallocate those JFK slots to something bigger and better.

EricR

Wed May 07, 2014 8:06 pm

- Cutting capacity on Tuesday through Thursday, which is in line with current US practices
- Increasing capacity during key travel days (e.g. Sunday after Thanksgiving), in line with current US practices

As much grief and criticism people gave Parker and the US management team over the past year, it is quite apparent that they are making many of the necessary changes needed within AA that were either never made or never considered. I think more positive changes are on the way in addition to the ones previously made and the ones announced today.

MAH4546

Wed May 07, 2014 8:28 pm

YYZ, DCA and YUL are insanely important feeder routes for long-haul flying from JFK.
a.

uberflieger

Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Cutting capacity on Tuesday through Thursday, which is in line with current US practices

Does this mean parking airplanes mid week? What about DL & UA, do they operate just like this, or is it uniquely US, now American?

[Edited 2014-05-07 13:57:18]

[Edited 2014-05-07 13:59:28]

MAH4546

Wed May 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 14):
What abou DL & UA, do they operate just like this, or is it uniquely US, now American?

Yes, UA especially is big on doing this (but it cuts largely TuWeSa).
a.

Osubuckeyes

Wed May 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 13):
YYZ, DCA and YUL are insanely important feeder routes for long-haul flying from JFK.

Specifically the DCA flying could easily be replicated over PHL as there is a ton of capacity and frequency on that route already. YYZ, and YUL could be argued the same although you could argue that O&D considerations have more of an effect on those markets.

uberflieger

Wed May 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 15):
UA especially is big on doing this (but it cuts largely TuWeSa)

Very interesting and sounds logical, wonder why AA didn't do it?

boberito6589

Wed May 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Currently with US, CLT during the offseason does not operate the 10pm departure bank on Mondays and Tuesdays and Saturdays, then on Sunday mornings the first 5AM spoke departures do not operate . The same thing kind of happens in PHX by adding the red eye bank on peak days in the offseason and normally everyday but Tuesday during the summer. US is also pretty aggressive like Delta in adjusting for special events in cities like SDF and the Kentucky Derby US was sending 319/320/321s from CLT/PHL, or for example increased gauge to OAJ on Tuesdays which is troop movement day there.

MaverickM11

Wed May 07, 2014 9:48 pm

It's insane that they posted the Q1 results they did, and they have yet to bank DFW/MIA and reduce/increase flying by day of week and season.

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 17):
Very interesting and sounds logical, wonder why AA didn't do it?

I think AA was just a stick in the mud; they'd always flown DFWABC X daily, year round, and if they ever deviated then they were afraid they'd lose the business passenger, even as UA/DL/US were proving otherwise.
E pur si muove -Galileo

wn676

Wed May 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 14):
Does this mean parking airplanes mid week?

Basically they'll cut the last bank or two at a hub and those last departures will have an extended RON at their respective outstations. Depending on the season, they typically do this on Saturdays and often times a combination of M/T/W. Odd that they mention Thursdays though, since as I recall that was one of the days that US was scheduling Flex ops when they first started experimenting with it.

Speaking of Flex, I hear PHX is going to 7 days/week with it this summer, and I've noticed that CLT is once again operating a fairly large bank around midnight for a few days again this year.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

apodino

Thu May 08, 2014 2:46 am

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 13):

I will buy DCA, but YYZ and YUL? YYZ has plenty of its own longhaul flying, and I find it odd that passengers would connect in the US to get to Europe given US CBP and the fact that preclear in YYZ has had its issues in recent years. YUL doesn't quite have the service that YYZ has, but there are still enough destinations served in Europe from YUL that I don't see how AA would make money routing traffic from there through JFK, especially given all the O and D traffic is much more likely to be heading to LGA.

SESGDL

Thu May 08, 2014 2:58 am

They expect to be profitable in New York in 2014.

Interesting to learn that AA also has been losing money in NYC (along with DL, who's been criticized endlessly for it) . Judging by comments from many regarding AA's premium customer base and high yielding flagship routes like JFK-LHR and JFK-LAX, you'd have thought that AA was sitting on a goldmine in New York, clearly not so. Makes one question why every airline is clambering to be #1 in NYC when they all appear to be losing money...

Jeremy

commavia

Thu May 08, 2014 3:13 am

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 22):
Interesting to learn that AA also has been losing money in NYC

Who said they were losing money?

I don't think Kirby did. The exact wording and inflection of his brief comment on the subject - in response to a question - did not, at least to me, necessarily imply that AA had been unprofitable previously and was now becoming profitable. In fact, it seemed more matter-of-fact, and not like it represented the culmination of some longer quest from non-profitability to profitability like Delta's completely unmistakable "Goal is to bring New York to profitability in 2014" (emphasis mine). That leaves little doubt that New York currently is (or was, at least as of December) unprofitable for Delta.

It may well be the case that AA, like Delta, has been losing money in New York and expects to turn that around this year, but if that was in Kirby's comments today, then I must have missed it.

Judging by comments from many regarding AA's premium customer base and high yielding flagship routes like JFK-LHR and JFK-LAX, you'd have thought that AA was sitting on a goldmine in New York, clearly not so.

Not so "clearly." Kirby seemed to imply that - in fact - some of AA's assets were, indeed, extremely valuable and lucrative, and would become even more so now with the combined power of the two airlines networks - exactly as was predicted.

Makes one question why every airline is clambering to be #1 in NYC

Actually, I'm only aware of one airline "clamoring to be #1 in NYC," and that's Delta. JetBlue seems perfectly content with its present position in the market, United seems to be putting up little if any fight to defend against Delta, and AA's President said today in absolutely no uncertain terms, "[American] maybe can't be #1 in New York in totality, but [it] can be #1 in a handful of markets in New York."

when they all appear to be losing money...

Again - what's the basis of that appearance? I don't remember hearing AA, JetBlue or United - the other three large players in New York - breaking out the relative profitability or losses of their NYC operations. Delta is the only airline that I'm aware of that has outwardly acknowledged that they are losing money there - and, of course, it was no doubt expected by Delta's management and everyone else. You can't expect to pour that much new capacity into the market on that many new routes and not lose money, at least at first.

[Edited 2014-05-07 20:21:04]

SESGDL

Thu May 08, 2014 3:33 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 23):
Who said they were losing money?

Really? Let's not play around with semantics. When Kirby states that "NYC will be profitable in 2014," that says nothing to me other than that AA has either not been profitable, or at least hasn't been consistently profitable. Would you ever hear Richard Anderson stating that "ATL will be profitable in 2014?" Of course not... Because it's obvious, same with AA at DFW. NYC, at least for DL, AA and US, has been low margin, simply judging by average fares, stage lengths and the cost of doing business in the market.

Quoting commavia (Reply 23):
Actually, I'm only aware of one airline "clamoring to be #1 in NYC," and that's Delta. JetBlue seems perfectly content with its present position in the market, United seems to be putting up little if any fight to defend against Delta, and AA's President said today in absolutely no uncertain terms, "[American] maybe can't be No. 1 in New York in totality, but [it] can be No. 1 in a handful of markets in New York."

Thank you for not pointing out that I spelled clamoring wrong, damn spell check...   I may not have used the correct words when I used the number "one," but there has no doubt been a marketshare battle in New York for at least the last 10 years. Since AA has presumably lost that battle due to many factors (bankruptcy, lack of slots, etc.), they're now saying that they don't need to be number one and blah blah blah... Corporate speak for "Let's avoid the situation at hand and make lemons into lemonade." This would not be the case had AA been able to assume DL's position of growth in the market. United has bragging rights to the NYC market and has used it for years and years, anywhere you go in New York you see the advertisements about being New York's largest airline, having the most flights and serving the most destinations, DL has similar marketing strategies.

Until recently, AA fanboys declared that AA was on the come-up in NYC, that it still dominated corporate contracts, and that AA was in the best position (apart from CO/UA of course) of the major carriers in the market. This is no longer the case, and now the subject is changing to "AA never wanted to be top dog in New York." How soon we forget past discussions.

Jeremy

commavia

Thu May 08, 2014 3:55 am

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 24):
Really? Let's not play around with semantics.

No "playing" of "semantics." I listened to the call. I drew my conclusions. If you drew different ones - that's fine by me.

but there has no doubt been a marketshare battle in New York for at least the last 10 years

Well, perhaps, although - again - it appears it's really only been mainly one airline fighting said battle recently - and that's Delta. JetBlue was certainly fighting a battle for market share in NYC - in 2005.

Since AA has presumably lost that battle due to many factors (bankruptcy, lack of slots, etc.), they're now saying that they don't need to be number one and blah blah blah... Corporate speak for "Let's avoid the situation at hand and make lemons into lemonade."

AA doesn't need to be #1. It's not "corporate speak," it's economic reality - and it has been reality literally for the entire deregulation era and well before that. AA has never - again, certainly since deregulation and likely ever before that - been the #1 airline in NYC. They didn't need to be. In a market that big, and that decentralized and competitive, no airline needs to be #1.

This would not be the case had AA been able to assume DL's position of growth in the market. United has bragging rights to the NYC market and has used it for years and years, anywhere you go in New York you see the advertisements about being New York's largest airline, having the most flights and serving the most destinations, DL has similar marketing strategies.

Yeah, it would be the case. Again - AA "assuming DL's position of growth in the market" has not even been in the running. AA has never, at least to my knowledge, actively sought to be #1 in NYC. AA rightly recognized that it didn't need to be. As for marketing - that's largely meaningless and I'm more than happy to separate that out, whether it's United's "New York's largest airline," AA implying JFK is a "hub," or Delta's "largest airline in New York City" (speaking of semantics games).

Until recently, AA fanboys declared that AA was on the come-up in NYC

No need to talk to an AA fanboy. How about you ask AA's President? A mere 12 hours ago he said that American, "[had ]more upside in New York than anywhere."

Personally, I do think AA is heading in a positive direction in New York. AA now has a massive slot portfolio at its disposal that can be optimized for the local O&D market, a strong (and rapidly improving) product offering for premium travelers (of which New York has many), an incredibly nice terminal at JFK, etc.

and that AA was in the best position (apart from CO/UA of course) of the major carriers in the market

By "recently," do you mean 2004? What credible person - AA fanboy or otherwise - has seriously suggested at any time in the last half-decade or more that AA was in the "best position ... of the major carriers" in the market? People have suggested AA was a leader in the local corporate market, had a strong presence with certain industries' business travelers, had particular strength in certain markets, etc. But I don't remember anybody suggesting (without kidding) that AA was in the overall "best" position of any major airline in the region after United - because such a suggestion would have been patently ridiculous.

Acey559

Thu May 08, 2014 4:02 am

I did quite a bit of JFK flying smile I was at Eagle and in my experience, albeit limited in scope, concurs with what is being said about the JFK routes. The flights seemed to constantly be full but when printing the pax connections, it was always short with about 95% of people going to London, Paris, Middle East, etc. I was always surprised at the amount of international traffic AA carries from Canada connecting through JFK. On top of that, besides the aforementioned, lots of international connections from BNA and RDU as well.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

peanuts

Thu May 08, 2014 4:17 am

This merger is unfolding very impressively sofar.
Now please introduce MIA/JFK-AMS and let the consumer decide.
I think we may start to see some clouds over Atlanta soon.
It's all clear now why they were running so fast at DL, when they could. AA is right on their heels, already...

commavia

Thu May 08, 2014 4:21 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 21):
I will buy DCA, but YYZ and YUL?
Quoting Acey559 (Reply 26):
I was always surprised at the amount of international traffic AA carries from Canada connecting through JFK.

Yep - absolutely. AA has historically done quite well connecting traffic from Canada through JFK to international markets. AA has flown JFK-YUL consistently, and without interruption, for years and years. As an example - years ago, the early-morning YUL-JFK flight used to often be packed, especially in winter, with people connecting to PAP and various other Caribbean destinations (though less so now, obviously).

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 26):
The flights seemed to constantly be full but when printing the pax connections, it was always short with about 95% of people going to London, Paris, Middle East, etc.

Exactly. JFK certainly handles connections - there's no question about it. But it handles a huge volume of O&D, and I continue to believe that it will become even more O&D-centric in the future as more and more of the connections are shifted to PHL, making room for AA to more aggressively target filling its JFK flights with more local corporate traffic captured with the strength of the combined airline's network.

ckfred

Thu May 08, 2014 4:40 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 8):
Until then, I'm sure every AA flight I step onboard will be delayed a minimum of 30 minutes, as has been the case for at least the past 5 years.

My only delays on AA for the last 5 years have been due to a plane going tech or the weather in Chicago wrecking havoc with ORD, which means that everyone else will have delayed flights in and out of ORD.

MAH4546

Thu May 08, 2014 6:20 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 21):
I will buy DCA, but YYZ and YUL?

Yes, absolutely. IIRC, AA is the largest U.S. carrier at both airports (and that is excluding US Airways) and has historically been very strong at both (such as a long-lasting presence on the Toronto-Los Angeles market well predating it's LAX hub operations). It carriers a good amount of traffic to Europe to and from each.

In Toronto, it is the only U.S. airline to operate it's own lounge and in Montreal, believe it or not, it is the only U.S. airline that operates mainline equipment.
a.

UA444

Thu May 08, 2014 6:59 am

It's amazing that the first 6 months of the merger have been closer to the DL/NW merger rather thanUA/CO. When UA merged with CO, UA was the number 1 on-time legacy. Then they went down post merger when hurricane Smisek hit. I wish Parker nothing but the best.

commavia

Thu May 08, 2014 11:49 am

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 30):
Yes, absolutely. IIRC, AA is the largest U.S. carrier at both airports (and that is excluding US Airways) and has historically been very strong at both (such as a long-lasting presence on the Toronto-Los Angeles market well predating it's LAX hub operations). It carriers a good amount of traffic to Europe to and from each.

In Toronto, it is the only U.S. airline to operate it's own lounge and in Montreal, believe it or not, it is the only U.S. airline that operates mainline equipment.

AA does have a relatively strong presence in eastern Canada, and has for a very long time.

Quoting peanuts (Reply 27):
This merger is unfolding very impressively sofar.
Quoting UA444 (Reply 31):
It's amazing that the first 6 months of the merger have been closer to the DL/NW merger rather thanUA/CO. When UA merged with CO, UA was the number 1 on-time legacy. Then they went down post merger when hurricane Smisek hit. I wish Parker nothing but the best.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, though - it has, in fact, only been six months. There's still ample opportunity to massively screw this up - United proved that conclusively. As Parker and Kirby keep saying over and over, "the big stuff hasn't happened yet."

I do agree, and I think most would agree, though, that certainly the early indications are positive. I think Kirby is right on that most AA employees do have a renewed sense of optimism for the first time in a very long time, and it shows, and the investments in substantially upgraded products and services is quite refreshing after a decade of chronic underinvestment, and both of those things are enabling AA to take opportunities to connect dots and expand their hubs as they've been announcing in the last few weeks.

cltguy

Thu May 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 3):

The 70% is the D0 On-Time percentage....not the D14 On-Time percentage that we are all used to seeing.

D0 means that the plane leaves exactly on-time or before...leaving 1 minute late marks that plane as late in the system.

washingtonflyer

Thu May 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Ugh. Adding seats to the 772s and 738s. Puke!

AWACSooner

Thu May 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 8):
Until then, I'm sure every AA flight I step onboard will be delayed a minimum of 30 minutes, as has been the case for at least the past 5 years.

You aren't the only one...I'd say about 80% of my AA flights in the past 5 years were delayed more than 30 minutes, and half the time, they never bothered to explain to me why there was a delay (except when there was the inevitable bolt of lightning somewhere within 500 miles of DFW that causes that airport to be shut down)...

ckfred

Thu May 08, 2014 3:30 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 34):

Ugh. Adding seats to the 772s and 738s. Puke!

Could it be that on the 738s, they are simply taking out the tables that are currently located in B and E in the exit rows? AA had put those in, to keep the seating total at 150, meaning it wouldn't require a 4th F/A. Otherwise, the only way to increase seats would be to reduce the number of MCE seats or cut the number of first class seats. When AA first took delivery of the 738s, they had 20 seats in First. That was reduced to 16. But, considering the number of business routes that AA operates with the 738, I can't see reducing the size of First. I also can't see AA operating 738s with 16 seats in First on business routes and 12 seats in First (and presumably 12 additional coach seats) on leisure routes. That makes it too hard for scheduling, especially when aircraft swaps are needed due to weather or mechanical issues.

jetblue1965

Thu May 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Even UA, the "mess" as it is, reported 81% mainline on-time for April 2014. What's causing the 70% here ?

dynamo12

Thu May 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Parker seems much more pragmatic.

It sounds like they are going to go with the IT systems from AA vs trying to retrain the larger workforce. And I'm not hearing a lot of talk about cost savings on the IT side - so they are hopefully not going to flush pax loyalty with a big IT implosion over a few $million.

The US Airways workforce has some internal seniority issues that I think will tend to slow that process down a bit on the integration side. But once they get to a single union and go through arbitration hopefully that will settle out as well. I'm curious to see the post full merger operations.

panamair

Thu May 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 37):
Even UA, the "mess" as it is, reported 81% mainline on-time for April 2014. What's causing the 70% here ?

Apples and oranges. UA's 81% on-time is the A-14 - arrivals within 14 mins of schedule. AA's A-14 for April 2014 was 82.8%. The 70% rate you are referring to is the D-0 measure (i.e., departures that were either on time or early).

dirtyfrankd
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2014 5:04 pm

All the praise about Robert Isom got me thinking about Virasb Vahidi. Does anybody know where he ended up after leaving AA?

ThePinnacleKid

Fri May 09, 2014 4:20 pm

Quoting panamair (Reply 39):

Further... UA is running only a 64.0% D0 for May... so 70% D0 at AA is a pretty large disparity between the two carriers.... interesting to note that UA's goal is LESS than 62.0% for D0.... so kudos' they're above goal for the month so far?!
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

EricR

Fri May 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Quoting ThePinnacleKid (Reply 41):
UA is running only a 64.0% D0 for May... so 70% D0 at AA is a pretty large disparity between the two carriers.... interesting to note that UA's goal is LESS than 62.0% for D0.... so kudos' they're above goal for the month so far?!

No. No kudos. Anyone can hit a goal if they set it low enough. If UA's goal was higher than the competition, and they achieved this goal, then I would give them kudos. Hitting an internal goal which is set below the competition's actual results is no cause for celebration.

[Edited 2014-05-09 10:05:45]

ThePinnacleKid

Fri May 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Quoting EricR (Reply 42):
No. No kudos. Anyone can hit a goal if they set it low enough. If UA's goal was higher than the competition, and they achieved this goal, then I would give them kudos. Hitting an internal goal which is set below the competition's actual results is no cause for celebration.

My kudos were said with as much sarcasm as humanly possible. We're Making Some Changes; I Think You'll Like Them.......... "Well that's Jeff'd up!!!"

washingtonflyer

Fri May 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Maybe SMI/J should look at his customer and employee enhancements and see if they are really doing what was intended. Given the financial performance of virtually EVERY OTHER U.S. MAINLINE CARRIER, I think the answer is - "nyet".

ThePinnacleKid

Fri May 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 44):
Maybe SMI/J should look at his customer and employee enhancements and see if they are really doing what was intended. Given the financial performance of virtually EVERY OTHER U.S. MAINLINE CARRIER, I think the answer is - "nyet".

787. It's a Game Changer. 7-8-7.

washingtonflyer

Fri May 09, 2014 5:41 pm

Seeing that 787 reference makes me LOL. Reminds me of the scene in Wolf of Wall Street where Donnie Azoff realizes he has a connection to "Sttteeeeeve MMMMMMadddddennnn."

CALTECH

Fri May 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Quote:
It's amazing that the first 6 months of the merger have been closer to the DL/NW merger rather thanUA/CO. When UA merged with CO, UA was the number 1 on-time legacy. Then they went down post merger when hurricane Smisek hit.

Oh yeah cause Continental was so bad, not.

"US Airways had 83.4% of flights arrive on time in June, according to the BTS. Continental's flights arrived on time 80.8% of the time, followed by United at 79.5% and Southwest at 78.5%."

"However, for the first six months of 2010, United had the best performance of the big airlines, with 83.3% of flights on time, followed by US Airways at 82.2% and Continental at 80.8%."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...alls-behind-in-on-time-performance

Quoting ThePinnacleKid (Reply 43):
My kudos were said with as much sarcasm as humanly possible. We're Making Some Changes; I Think You'll Like Them.......... "Well that's Jeff'd up!!!"

The Bethune legacy seems to have fallen by the wayside. "You can make a pizza so cheap, nobody will eat it. You can
make an airline so cheap, nobody will fly it." - Gordon Bethune quotes.

Layoffs and cutbacks are not the answer.
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos