Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LHRAirport
Topic Author

Revised Heathrow Runway Plans

Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 am

Heathrow has announced our revised third runway plans today, with the technical submission to be made to the Airports Commission tomorrow. We've launched a new site area to explore the plans - www.heathrow.com/britainsheathrow.

Let us know your thoughts here, on Twitter @yourHeathrow using #BritainsHeathrow - for instance, if you'd like to see a viewing platform in the new plans - so we can give feedback to the team.

Kiwirob

RE: Revised Heathrow Runway Plans

Tue May 13, 2014 10:20 am

The link doesn't work.

blooBirdie

Tue May 13, 2014 10:24 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 1):
The link doesn't work.

Delete the terminal "." and then it will!

Ed: LINK: http://your.heathrow.com/BritainsHeathrow/

[Edited 2014-05-13 03:27:07]

LHRAirport
Topic Author

Tue May 13, 2014 10:28 am

teme82

Tue May 13, 2014 10:36 am

I do have to say that for me the plan looks good. Looks like some neighborhoods are demolished. But not as much as the other plans.
Flying high and low

sxb

Tue May 13, 2014 10:56 am

I would be curious to hear what BA has to say about this as their HQ is right under the new proposed runway.
SXB

OA260

Tue May 13, 2014 11:07 am

Quoting LHRAirport (Thread starter):
if you'd like to see a viewing platform in the new plans - so we can give feedback to the team.

Well I think that is a given but it never seems to be on the agenda ! Take a look at ZRH,FRA,HAM and thats what would be great at LHR. Airside ones are no good to the majority of regular enthusiasts.

As for the runway lets see it built ! I will believe it when I see it .

shamrock604

Tue May 13, 2014 11:17 am

My, some amount of flag waving there.....  

But the plan itself is excellent and delivers an optimum layout on a constrained site. Very interesting comparisons with Gatwick's plan, and Heathrow's positioning as the "national alternative" for the UK (a position visually assisted with above mentioned flag waving  Wink ) may well be what ultimately secures the necessary backing.

[Edited 2014-05-13 04:59:05]

GCT64

Tue May 13, 2014 11:40 am

Quoting sxb (Reply 5):
I would be curious to hear what BA has to say about this as their HQ is right under the new proposed runway.

A clever move as BA are the last people who can complain about Heathrow expansion flattening their home!  

it's going to be a pretty unpleasant change for the people of Colnbrook & Harlington - they look to be by far the most affected.

As to the comment, let us know "if you'd like to see a viewing platform in the new plans" - I think the answer to that is so obvious that you can assume every member of A.net wants a viewing platform with excellent unobstructed photography opportunities (i.e. North facing). There is no real need to ask the question!

[Edited 2014-05-13 04:43:22]
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

LHRAirport
Topic Author

Tue May 13, 2014 12:35 pm

Quoting GCT64 (Reply 8):
As to the comment, let us know "if you'd like to see a viewing platform in the new plans" - I think the answer to that is so obvious that you can assume every member of A.net wants a viewing platform with excellent unobstructed photography opportunities (i.e. North facing). There is no real need to ask the question!

We're trying to gauge the needs and wants of each of our communities - including the aviation enthusiasts. Here in the social media team we'd love to be able to put forward quantifiable evidence to support the need for such facilities in the new plan. (-CL)

parapente

Tue May 13, 2014 1:01 pm

I wonder whether these changes are a response to the rather clever "Heathrow Hub" third proposal that proposed the extension of the Northern Runway.
Indeed this proposal wraps itself tightly to the highly sensible idea of having a rail hub a mile to the North that ties together HS2,new electrified GWR and allLondon rail/tube systems (even Chilton if I recall correctly). The trouble is the Govn't for some unknown reason wants to put a rail hub in Honor Oak (why?) so this may hurt them in this regard.

However this ammended proposal is very good and sensible. It picks up on all the other key points on noise (new quiet aircraft.steeper landing approaches etc). Of course the funding is private. With a Gov't/country £1.3 TRILLION in the red - if they care about the country - it's the obvious thing to do.Should have been done years ago IMHO. (Oh and yes I live in central London so I know about the noise -am not a NIMBY thats all).

OA260

Tue May 13, 2014 1:05 pm

Quoting GCT64 (Reply 8):
Quoting LHRAirport (Reply 9):
Here in the social media team we'd love to be able to put forward quantifiable evidence to support the need for such facilities in the new plan. (-CL)
Quoting LHRAirport (Thread starter):
@yourHeathrow using #BritainsHeathrow

So basically all Anetters Tweet ''we want a viewing platform at LHR''  

Also @LHRAirport 411 members here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/455298274520482/

andrej

Tue May 13, 2014 3:22 pm

I really like this new proposal, especially the new terminal set-up (air-side and land side) as well as how the transportation to the terminal is processed.

I just hope this gets approved and NIMBYs will be offered to relocate. But some recent thread suggested that EGLL plans to spend as much as GBP 500M on relocation costs (or purchase the property for a significant goodwill).

I am keeping my fingers crossed!   Is Boris on board as well, or does he still likes 'his' new airport idea?

You asked, here is my 'wish list'. 

For enthusiasts it would be great to have an option to monitor the ground radar and/or approach to see 'the action' with actual radio transmissions. Some explanatory boards, display to the general public would be great as well.

Also it would be great to have photography/plane spotting areas with unobstructed view of tarmac/apron. It would be nice to have official spotting areas, with holes in the fences and raised ground (for better view) again with some information to the general public.

It would be also nice to have a possibility of organized air-side tours, with a possibility to photograph planes as well.

This information is generally available on the internet so I am sure it would not pose any security risks!

Nonetheless, good luck with this project!

Cheers,

Andrej

B747-4U3

Tue May 13, 2014 4:56 pm

I like the look of the plans - lets face it Heathrow has needed extra capacity for years so any plan to add another runway is a good plan as far as I am concerned. What I particuarly like having looked through the plans is the planned improvements to transport. The southern rail access route is a good - and overdue - project.

As a South Londoner, my route to Heathrow usually takes around 2hrs. This is either the X26 bus, taking the train and tube via Central London or driving and usiing an off-site parking operator. Whichever way I go it is a long and tiring journey. The southern rail access route is therefore very appealing and I hope it will be run at a sufficient frequency and speed that it speeds up journey times to Heathrow for a large section of the South East. I also hope that the route will allow for a good degree of connectivity with other train lines and transport modes to maximise the benefits of the service.

QANTASvJet

Tue May 13, 2014 5:19 pm

At first glance this looks pretty impressive. The Gatwick proposal has always looked like an attempt to get an extra runway to meet the needs of holiday peak travel, but dressed-up as an alternative to Heathrow expansion. My sense is that the Heathrow scheme should be backed by the airport commission, but that Gatwick should also be allowed to build their extra runway if they think they can justify it. I cannot see that it would seriously undermine the viability of the Heathrow scheme. And the estuary idea should be allowed to sink gently into the mud.

theginge

Tue May 13, 2014 6:09 pm

Quoting sxb (Reply 5):

According to the below the boss of BA's parent company doesn't think it will happen

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/b...e-assertive-in-europe-9344018.html

QANTASvJet

Tue May 13, 2014 8:24 pm

I've managed to download their 32 page report, which is interesting but carefully skirts round some things - such as what happens to T4 (from the map and some weasel words in the text it looks like it stays in use - aagh no!). The report says there is a full technical document available on their website heathrow.com, but I couldn't find it. Presumably it's buried away somewhere. They seem to have done some excellent work thinking things through, but they (or more likely their communications agency) are failing to release stuff properly - witness the problems with links with which this thread kicked off. Apologies if I am being dim, but i don't think it's just me.

teme82

Wed May 14, 2014 12:04 am

We're trying to gauge the needs and wants of each of our communities - including the aviation enthusiasts. Here in the social media team we'd love to be able to put forward quantifiable evidence to support the need for such facilities in the new plan. (-CL)

Hey do not forget that you also attract foreign aviation enthusiasts also  
Flying high and low

777Jet

Wed May 14, 2014 12:18 am

Quoting sxb (Reply 5):

BA can't have their cake and eat it too!  
Quoting GCT64 (Reply 8):
A clever move as BA are the last people who can complain about Heathrow expansion flattening their home!

Quote of the day right there!
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

andrej

Wed May 14, 2014 4:40 am

Quoting QANTASvJet (Reply 16):
I've managed to download their 32 page report,

Do you happen to know the link to that report? After reading your post, I was trying to find it, but to be honest I could not find it.

I have to agree, that the website could be more document friendly   (not just topic oriented and focused for multiple media formats).

Cheers,

Andrej

Francoflier

Wed May 14, 2014 5:36 am

I am not a Londoner, nor British, I am an occasional user of LHR and have so far been following the LHR 3rd runway ruckus with detachment. I then apologize if I ask stupid questions, but what makes this proposal more 'deliverable' and realistically achievable than all the previous ones?

It seems to me that every single proposal is met my massive NIMBY uproar, along with their local politicians who'd sell their mother for a vote. Does this one have a more significant chance of being concretely turned into concrete concrete?

Wasn't Boris the Mayor against LHR expansion at some point? How involved is the Central Government in all of this?

I do wish LHR luck. I think the 3rd runway will happen eventually, but it will have to endure blood and tears any which way it's done.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

OA260

Wed May 14, 2014 7:28 am

LHRAirport
Topic Author

Wed May 14, 2014 7:57 am

Quoting QANTASvJet (Reply 16):
The report says there is a full technical document available on their website heathrow.com, but I couldn't find it. Presumably it's buried away somewhere

We'll have the full technical submission up on both our new site ( http://your.heathrow.com/britainsheathrow ) and via the traditional www.heathrow.com/airportscommission section . Keep an eye on our @yourHeathrow Twitter feed - we'll tweet out when its available.

At over 400 pages, it's quite a piece to upload.

QANTASvJet

Wed May 14, 2014 8:08 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 20):
what makes this proposal more 'deliverable' and realistically achievable than all the previous ones?

It's a fair point - the topic has been around since at least the 1971 Roskill report. What has changed in the last few years is that the global economy tanked and the UK economy with it, making economic growth more of a priority; globalisation has become far more important as a driver of growth; and LHR has almost reached its capacity constraints and is being overtaken on some metrics by European rivals. So extra capacity has gone from being politically very unpopular to being something that people are willing to consider if it helps the economy.

The present government set up a commission to look at the subject, but told it not to produce its final report until just after the 2015 general election. So that means that all the main political parties can avoid taking clear positions in the election campaign. Whoever wins the election will need to decide what to do. They will probably implement the report's findings, because the commission gives them political cover. Even so, anything will take 10 years or more to build.

The mayor Boris Johnson is pushing for an airport in the Thames estuary because a) he wants to be popular with voters in affluent west London suburbs and he thinks planning to close LHR will achieve that; b) he is an egomaniac who wants credit for launching some vast project, irrespective of the business case. The commission has already rejected this but was obliged to ask for further evidence on it because Boris Johnson is politically powerful and a possible rival to David Cameron to lead the Conservative party.

andrej

Wed May 14, 2014 11:31 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):
Link here ::

Thank you very much!!

seahawk

Wed May 14, 2014 11:41 am

The airport needs a runway and could be a the major European hub besides Paris. They need to built it.

EnviableOne

Wed May 14, 2014 12:58 pm

I still think we need to think bigger and build for the future.

To allow the greatest flexibility and capacity advantage my suggestion would be to do the NW and SW options and Heathrow hub both existing runways. that would then give LHR the capacity to compete with AMS and FRA. Tie this in with a new High-speed rail hub, this will create a next generation Transportation hub for Europe and the world.
A wise man speaks because has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something - Plato

peterinlisbon

Wed May 14, 2014 1:09 pm

It looks like a good plan. I think they've done well to keep prevent construction in this area over the past 50 years and so, although there are some small clusters of houses and other buildings, it is mostly green fields. Definitely we should be building runways where they are needed, not anywhere else. The truth is we have too many runways in Southeast England already left over from WW2. The only thing that I can see could be a problem is the long taxi times from this runway, although if they could use this runway just for aircraft parked at that new satellite and as an overflow for Terminal 5 then that should work pretty well. I wonder if that satellite could be connected to both Heathrow East and T5 by an automatic transit system, so that both termimals could be allocated some of those gates.

r2rho

Wed May 28, 2014 11:38 am

Overall it looks like a good plan. But: I still see T4 in those drawings, which is a big mistake IMO. Its akward location is detrimental to all airport ops - airside and landside, makes passenger transfers and transport links (on-site and off-site) more difficult, etc. It should be demolished, and a new T4 built for example in the east where the maintenance facilities are, or in the north instead of the proposed "commercial area". Maintenance facilities and offices could be moved to the current T4 location.

The rail links are a huge improvement - they are badly needed regardless of whether the 3rd runway is built or not, as they will effectively act as another new runway for LHR. It is key though that as many links as possible be direct, single seat connections, as its attractiveness decreases dramatically with each needed transfer.

We're trying to gauge the needs and wants of each of our communities - including the aviation enthusiasts.

From this forum, if you wish you could get much more valuable feedback on passenger experience and on general airport operations, than just simply on viewing platforms.

toxtethogrady

Thu May 29, 2014 3:19 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 1):
The link doesn't work.

Remove the period.

airplanedaj

Thu May 29, 2014 5:19 pm

NIMBY's piss me off in a situation like this. Heathrow cannot grow anymore, but needs to grow now. These people protest the new runway, and then (assuming they use the airport) have the nerve to ask "Why is my flight delayed". Sorry for the small rant.

toxtethogrady

Thu May 29, 2014 5:25 pm

LHR's been hemmed in by opponents for decades; the campaign to buy postage-stamp size plots where the runway was to go happened years ago. City planners are lucky to have gotten this far; extra capacity is a desperate need that may never be met.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos