breiz
Topic Author

Towards A Nicer Ryanair

Tue May 20, 2014 11:54 am

The previous thread on the subject is now archieved:
Ryanair Brand 'refresh' (by sandyb123 Apr 13 2014 in Civil Aviation)

Here is a piece by Bloomberg on a "nicer" Ryanair:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ies-growing-a-little-nicer#r=lr-sr

TC957

RE: Towards A Nicer Ryanair

Tue May 20, 2014 1:50 pm

A leopard doesn't change it's spots....

OA260

Tue May 20, 2014 1:58 pm

They have a while to go yet. They set up an agents line and another GDS channel which was interesting. I have flown a short sector and two longish 4 hour sectors and they were pretty ok I have to say. The price was good and the flights were on time. Their BOB was reasonable. Time will tell.

sk736

Tue May 20, 2014 7:47 pm

I've flown them twice since they introduced allocated seating and I have to say it was a vast improvement on the previous free for all - though I was amazed that despite having seat numbers people still formed long queues way before boarding was announced!

gulfstream650

Tue May 20, 2014 8:12 pm

MOL gave what I thought was a superb interview on CNBC yesterday morning. It will be interesting to see how they move forward from here.

If I owned an airline, I would want him running it.
I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe

ODwyerPW

Tue May 20, 2014 8:25 pm

I can't find a link to the MOL interview.
I just saw his CFO give a small 2 1/2 minute clip from yesterday.

Can you post a link to the MOL interview?

Peter
learning never stops.

pokfur

Tue May 20, 2014 8:28 pm

Quoting sk736 (Reply 3):
though I was amazed that despite having seat numbers people still formed long queues way before boarding was announced!

Probably to make sure they have a space in the overhead compartments! Latecomers are still requested to check their bags (for free) at the gate if it's a full flight, which isn't something everyone wants.

I've flown them so many times just this year alone and I don't have a single complaint. For the first time I bought their BOB and the food was really decent.

Won't be surprised at all if they continue to expand and more and more people become accepting of them!  

lollomz

Tue May 20, 2014 8:39 pm

I decided not to fly with them anymore until they will not change few things: first one the seats!!!
Amen.
[url="http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collection/Lollomz"]Image[/url]

OA260

Tue May 20, 2014 9:33 pm

They seem to have broken the interview up into parts :

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000275013

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101684605

SCQ83

Tue May 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Quoting sk736 (Reply 3):
I've flown them twice since they introduced allocated seating and I have to say it was a vast improvement on the previous free for all - though I was amazed that despite having seat numbers people still formed long queues way before boarding was announced!

Doesn't it happen with any other flight (whether it is a low-cost or a legacy?). Many people love queuing at the gate for no reason... maybe they think they will lose their spot otherwise.

jumpjets

Tue May 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 9):
Many people love queuing at the gate for no reason

Maybe they just want to get on quick to avoid the long slow crawl down the airbridge [or up the steps] when boarding behind 150 other people.

hh65man

Tue May 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Maybe a bit off topic, but I always get this "Far Side" thought in my mind about the gate agents playing the game Simon Says with every one who stands up and crowds around the entrance. Would be hilarious if it were to ever happen..... Simon says everyone stand up......... Simon Says cattle class sit down......Simon Says....... Lol.... 

seabosdca

Tue May 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Quoting pokfur (Reply 6):
Probably to make sure they have a space in the overhead compartments! Latecomers are still requested to check their bags (for free) at the gate if it's a full flight, which isn't something everyone wants.

If you want to get away at the other end of your flight in a timely manner, you want to find overhead space either at or in front of your seat. If only space behind your seat is left then you have to wait for everyone to deboard before you can retrieve your bag. If no space is left then you have to wait for the checked baggage to be delivered at the bag claim. This is why I always queue up early whenever I'm carrying a bag too big to fit under my seat, even though I have an assigned seat.

ODwyerPW

Wed May 21, 2014 2:14 am

I watched the MOL interview (thanks for the Links!).

He was genuinely complimentary of EasyJet, which was nice to see.
learning never stops.

DouglasDC10

Wed May 21, 2014 7:12 am

Am I the only one who misses the "old" Ryanair? I prefer free seating over assigned one, do not care about onboard service, like to see a good choice of flights from places like Lübeck and just want an on-time flight for a low fare. For people wanting a nice Ryanair with assigned seating, a little more service and flights from larger airports there is already an airline - it is called Easyjet.

[email protected]

Wed May 21, 2014 8:54 am

Quoting DouglasDC10 (Reply 14):

Am I the only one who misses the "old" Ryanair? I prefer free seating over assigned one, do not care about onboard service, like to see a good choice of flights from places like Lübeck and just want an on-time flight for a low fare. For people wanting a nice Ryanair with assigned seating, a little more service and flights from larger airports there is already an airline - it is called Easyjet.

This slight adjustment of strategic positioning should make FR stronger. While its non-fuel CASM will increase a little bit, it'll be able to more effectively target the so-called 'middle' and therefore better able to compete there, and will achieve higher yields (average fares), while still with the lowest costs (its CASM is even lower than Wizz's) to target the 'lower' end.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

dstc47

Wed May 21, 2014 6:53 pm

For people wanting a nice Ryanair with assigned seating, a little more service and flights from larger airports there is already an airline - it is called Easyjet.

Sadly unavailable to those of us living in the Republic of Ireland, probably due to fear of FR!

Cipango

Wed May 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Quoting TC957 (Reply 1):
A leopard doesn't change it's spots....

A perfect first comment!

I was a big fan of assigned seats initially but (as a window seat fan) I never get my preferred seat.

When it was free-for-all seating I always chose 27A/F. Perfect window seat with a good view and quick exit to the rear! Now I always seem to get 15C.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Dahlgardo

Wed May 21, 2014 8:19 pm

Quote:
Towards A Nicer Ryanair

That sounds nice and dandy, but does that also go for the employees ?

Will Ryanair stop social dumping and become social resposible too ?

That would be a nice day.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

[email protected]

Wed May 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Quoting cipango (Reply 17):

So why not pay to get your preferred seat? :P
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Vasu

Wed May 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Yes, I miss the old FR too... Spontaneous breaks to random places for less than £10... Meant I could still take trips abroad during my university days!

alm1

Wed May 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 19):

Because Ryanair lets you see the seat map before checking in - it quite easy to guess which seat will be assigned next if you fly reasonable often. If you don't like it - you do not check in at the time. So if you are patient you can get a seat you like for free.
I know that it is more reasonable just to pay for one but not as much fun.

Cipango

Wed May 21, 2014 10:26 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 19):

I do! I would just prefer it to be free...
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

OA260

Thu May 22, 2014 10:06 am

End of an era: Ryanair to cut on-time trumpet jingle
Airline’s Twitter followers vote to change ‘famous’ landing bugle after survey of passengers

Flyers with sensitive ears rejoice, Ryanair is to change its on-time landing trumpet jingle on all flights. The move comes after it surveyed passengers on Twitter to see if the post-flight music was much-loved or much-maligned.
The airline said the “famous on-time bugle” was one of the aspects of the experience it was looking at as part if a series of enhancements of customer experience.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/s...t-on-time-trumpet-jingle-1.1803928

Lets hope they don't replace it with anything and its just quiet  

MIAspotter

Thu May 22, 2014 11:06 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 23):
Airline’s Twitter followers vote to change ‘famous’ landing bugle after survey of passengers

THANK GOD!

Honestly, that silly jingle made the already tacky flying-on-FR experience even tackier, as soon as that trumpet went off, all the chavs onboard will just start cheering, applauding and whistling... seriously.

With all these new changes, I might actually lift my anti-FR ban, they even have some interesting destinations from BCN.

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

aviationaware

Thu May 22, 2014 11:14 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 23):

Pity, I always cherished that one (yes guys, I am serious!) We all know the on time stuff is fabricated by tampering with flight times and schedules, but for me it's part of what Ryanair stands for. Cheap, tacky - but gets you there. Like a bus. No frills. I think that jingle always fit in perfectly with that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos