ORDfan
Topic Author

World Cup 2014 Liveries

Tue May 20, 2014 4:23 pm

So LH and its Fanhansa livery for Brazil 2014 has been well-publicized, but I've only come across a couple other airlines that have created any sort of WC 2014 titles: JAL and Brussels both created liveries for their respective national teams. Are there any other airlines that have done anything for WC 2014? Also it seems like Emirates, which is still the official airline for 2014, is noticeably absent with titles this world cup...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ryotaro Shinozaki
View Large View Medium

Photo © Yochai Mossi - AirTeamImages

oly720man

RE: World Cup 2014 Liveries

Tue May 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Air Berlin have the "Fan Force One" logojet which makes no reference to the World Cup that I can see.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stefan Sydow

http://worldairlinenews.com/2014/04/...jet-in-association-with-bitburger/
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

na

Tue May 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Samurai Blue looks awful again.

Condor is flying fans to Brazil. Are they doing anything?
TAM as the national carrier certainly has to do something big. And the airlines of the countries of other cup favourites? Nothing from Spain or Italy?

TYCOON

Tue May 20, 2014 4:52 pm

TAM is not the national carrier of Brazil but a Brazilian airlines among a handful.
The official airline of the seleçao (Brazilian national football team) is Gol. And they do have a painted aircraft for the occasion.
http://blog.opovo.com.br/layout/gol-...eronave-para-a-selecao-brasileira/

bunumuring

Tue May 20, 2014 8:55 pm

..... Qantas has been very quiet too on this front. Normally they publicly support our national team (the Socceroos) with special colourschemes and / or titles .....
The London Olympics special scheme with the boxing kangaroo on a 747 is still apparently flying around. I suggested in the Australian Aviation thread that maybe it will be used with modified titles to transport the Socceroos to Brazil when the time comes.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

ORDfan
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Ha, leave it to the Germans to come up with Fan Force One -- that's pretty good.

Quoting na (Reply 2):
TAM as the national carrier certainly has to do something big. And the airlines of the countries of other cup favourites? Nothing from Spain or Italy?

Yea actually I'm suprised TAM hasn't done anything either, as far as I've seen. Especially since that had a national team bird flying as late as 2012!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tsuyoshi Hayasaki - AroundWorldImages

burnsie28

Wed May 21, 2014 4:04 pm

A lot are probably avoiding it because of the legal problems and extreme cost of just saying "World Cup"

vv701

Wed May 21, 2014 5:54 pm

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 6):
A lot are probably avoiding it because of the legal problems and extreme cost of just saying "World Cup"

I do not know if it applies to the FIFA World Cup but another problem for airlines marking the Olympic Games is the period the IOC allows the use of their symbology. BA got around this in 2012 despite being the official airline sponsor. They painted seven aircraft in their 'Dove' livery. It did not include any direct Olympic reference. Its additional titling was limited to 'The Dove', 'Pascal Anson' (the designer) and '2012'.

All BA's 'Dove' aircraft are still flying in that livery today.

The one BA aircraft to be painted (as opposed to temporarily stickered) with Olympic symbology, was 319 'PC, The Firefly. It actually carried the Olympic Flame to the UK. It then participated in the British Isles Torch Relay. It also participated in the post-games celebrations when it flew at 800 feet over a parade in central London of several hundred British Olympic and Paralympic athletes. At that time it had additional large 'Thank You' titles on its fuselage underside.

The Firefly was rolled out on 20 May 2012. That day it flew to ATH to collect the Flame. It re-entered the paint shop to have its standard BA Union Flag livery restored on 10 November 2012. By that date the Olympic / Paralympic stickers that had been carried on sixty-six other BA aircraft were already being removed.

I am unsure of the actual dates that the IOC allows paying sponsors to use their symbology. However I am guessing it is basically limited to the calendar year of the games being sponsored. Having said that from photos on the web it seems as if a couple of BA aircraft had their Olympic / Paralympic stickers applied in very late 2011 and one or two still carried them into very early 2013,

ORDfan
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Now this is some serious commitment:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Lucas M. Ulhôa

Great job to GOL.

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 6):

Actually VV701 brings up a good point, sure a total repaint like GOL did is expensive, but what about a simple sticker or decal?

I still can't believe nothing from Emirates, not even a sticker..? They even put on some decals for the 2011 rugby world cup?!?

ORDfan
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Quoting Bunumuring (Reply 4):
..... Qantas has been very quiet too on this front. Normally they publicly support our national team (the Socceroos) with special colourschemes and / or titles .....

Looks like Qantas came through with some Socceroo love after all. Just came across this article and video:

http://australianaviation.com.au/2014/05/socceroos-head-to-brazil/

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...in-search-of-world-cup-gold/886839

Looks like a couple pics just made the database too.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Wood
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Wood

ORDfan
Topic Author

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Emirates finally got in on the world cup action, with stickers on several birds...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tiago Palla - Portugal Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Derek Hellmann

burchfiel

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:57 pm

EK 77L A6-EWG has a World Cup logo on it as well; saw it in DFW last month.

txlbased

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:17 pm

LH comes with a "Fanhansa" title on their D-ABYO

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Lufth...d=e7450d2c03f0a91abf9d04d4b11a5852

AB has it´s "Fan Force One" which is more a PR gag with german brewery Bitburger

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Berlin/Airbus-A320-214/2442668/M/

[Edited 2014-06-06 12:20:12]
You have your office cubicle. I have mine - it roars!

MayaviaERJ190

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Iberia's new look comes a little bit out of the boring bland when they add the "Llevamos la ilusión de todo un país" (We carry the illusions of a whole country) titles, special decals and the Spanish Football Federation logo on the tail of an A330, video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGUWCkWc58Y
My other plane is an A380.

ORDfan
Topic Author

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Funny enough, CNN just ran this article today on World Cup paint jobs:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/12/travel/world-cup-planes/

I think Iberia looks pretty good. Will be curious to see what Iberia comes up with if Spain wins! Aerolineas looks pretty fun too.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos