Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gators312
Topic Author

WN FL Merger Continues To Give JAX Away To DL

Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 pm

JAX has lost a significant amount of NS cities with the merger and now the announcement of JAX-FLL being cut leaves JAX with only MQ providing NS service to South Florida.

It's well documented Intra Florida flying is not profitable, but I thought there was enough business demand to keep this route.

If WN is going to roll back JAX flying giving travelers fewer non-stop choices, they will continue to lose travelers to DL especially traveling in the Southeast who don't want to connect in BNA or BWI.

So far it seems as if the merger is helping Delta more than it has helped SWA

bobnwa

RE: WN FL Merger Continues To Give JAX Away To DL

Fri May 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Quoting gators312 (Thread starter):

Only if you are only looking at JAX

Polot

Fri May 23, 2014 12:23 pm

It's well documented Intra Florida flying is not profitable, but I thought there was enough business demand to keep this route.

How does this make sense. If intra-Florida flying is not profitable, there is obviously not enough business demand to keep the route or else it would be profitable. JAX-MIA are not one of those city pairs that you must have a presence on to attract business passengers to your airline, no matter profitability, like DCA-NYC, NYC-BOS, NYC-ORD etc.

At the end of the day, JAX is hardly the most important market in the world. I don't think WN is losing any sleep over losing a few passengers there. You can't be everything to everyone.

[Edited 2014-05-23 05:24:15]

usdcaguy

Fri May 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Which markets are no longer offered NS from JAX?

MaverickM11

Fri May 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 1):

Or ATL. Or pretty much anywhere in Florida and the Southeast...
I don't take responsibility at all

Cubsrule

Fri May 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 3):

BHM, MSY, TPA, IND and now FLL are gone. MDW has been added. ATL and BNA have lost frequencies.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):
Or pretty much anywhere in Florida and the Southeast...

Once you subtract the likes of BNA, TPA and MCO--which are flat if not up a bit since the merger--and CLT and MEM--which are flat flight-wise but now see service to more cities with larger local markets, I have a hard time seeing how the whole southeast has been harmed. Obviously the reductions in JAX-ATL are significant, but nothing else that has happened at JAX has anything to with the merger. Rather, we've seen a reduction in p2p flying everywhere, even cites that have never had FL service. Look at places like GEG, SLC and ABQ, for instance.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MSYtristar

Fri May 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Pretty sure JAX-HOU has been added, as well. That's a good add.

BHM has really been hammered. They've lost BNA, SDF, STL, MSY, JAX, and PHX...and those are just off the top of my head. Not really a huge surprise considering ATL is in the picture now, but still quite a cut back for that airport.

MaverickM11

Fri May 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 5):
Once you subtract the likes of BNA, TPA and MCO--which are flat if not up a bit since the merger--and CLT and MEM--which are flat flight-wise but now see service to more cities with larger local markets, I have a hard time seeing how the whole southeast has been harmed

BNA is the only one that's up as far as I can tell. All of Florida is way down, with BHM, ATL, LIT, and ORF down a third to a half.

avi8

Fri May 23, 2014 2:53 pm

How has TPA lost? They have gained service to DCA, MEM, DAL, the only route I can remember them losing is JAX; capacity has remained more or less flat.
avi8

MaverickM11

Fri May 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 8):
How has TPA lost? They have gained service to DCA, MEM, DAL, the only route I can remember them losing is JAX; capacity has remained more or less flat.

Not sure about the destination count but departures are down 15-20% since before the merger, from around 90 to around 75/day

spinkid

Fri May 23, 2014 4:12 pm

There has to be some sort of market for JAX-FLL and JAX-MIA Its a good 7-8 hours by car.

ScottB

Fri May 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Quoting spinkid (Reply 10):
There has to be some sort of market for JAX-FLL and JAX-MIA Its a good 7-8 hours by car.

It's nowhere near that. The drive is a straight shot down I-95 and the speed limit is 70 mph almost the entire way until you hit Palm Beach County. It's really not hard to do in five hours without speeding and the flow of traffic is often moving along at 80 mph plus in rural areas.

The issue is that O&D traffic has come down as fares have gone up; JAX-FLL is at about 150 PDEW and that might support 2 daily round-trips if there's come connecting feed at one or both ends. But with only two daily round-trips, flying becomes less competitive with driving since the couple of hours you would save by flying instead of driving are wiped out by waiting for a flight that's not at a convenient time.

now the announcement of JAX-FLL being cut leaves JAX with only MQ providing NS service to South Florida.

I'm not sure how ending JAX-FLL is giving the market to DL since almost no one is going to fly JAX-ATL-FLL; that takes longer than driving.

MAH4546

Fri May 23, 2014 4:57 pm

There is - about 500 people a day fly between the two cities.
a.

shadez

Fri May 23, 2014 5:06 pm

I would not be surprised to see Silver start FLL-JAX in the future now that there is no competition.

DCA-ROCguy

Fri May 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 11):
The issue is that O&D traffic has come down as fares have gone up; JAX-FLL is at about 150 PDEW and that might support 2 daily round-trips if there's come connecting feed at one or both ends.

This is the real issue on these shorter flights and PTP flights between medium- and medium-large cities: Southwest's costs have gone up. They need to deal with their costs in order to continue profitably offering the full range of service that maximizes their value as an airline. Obviously, artificially high oil prices don't help, but Southwest does need to work on their costs.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

richierich

Fri May 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 12):

Really? According to Google Maps, it is 362 miles and a 5hour 17min drive from JAX airport to MIA airport. Deduct about 30 minutes to FLL. I have found that it is actually a little bit quicker than that - figure 75-80mph and you can drive Jacksonville to Miami city centers in about 4.75 hours... granted there is unpredictable traffic to deal with but I would think it is rarely a "7-8" hour trip be car unless you are stopping at a Waffle House along the way.

WIth that said, there are plenty of flights around the country that exist that are much shorter and are not just for connection purposes. Just because it is in-state, I think people tend to think is is shorter.

BTW, Google Maps distance from JAX airport to ATL? Via I-95 and I-16, it is 362 miles and takes 5hours 16min to drive.
None shall pass!!!!

Cubsrule

Fri May 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 9):
Not sure about the destination count but departures are down 15-20% since before the merger, from around 90 to around 75/day

Two points:

1) Seat count is way up, from an average of 130-ish fleetwide before the merger to about 145 today

2) Much of the cutting of short-haul flying (stuff like TPA-PBI/JAX) has nothing to do with the merger; similar routes are being cut across the country.

INFINITI329

Fri May 23, 2014 6:04 pm

I personally feel like alot of WN/FL routes are being reduced because 737 is to big to serve that route profitably. There are better served with e-jets which the rest of the majors are getting or getting more of

727LOVER

Fri May 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Is TPA-FLL the only intra-Florida route left???
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

travaz

Fri May 23, 2014 6:15 pm

I just don't see how you can discuss specific reductions (additions) of flights at one airport. Southwest (and any other carrier) has so much information about thier passengers the decisions are made on a wider level. If they were making a profit JAX - FLL but were flying totally full ABC - XYZ and making more of a profit the best business decision might be to cut back at JAX. It never is a decision made exclusivly on one city pair. So many factors enter in to a decision about city pairs. Nothing wrong with A.Net speculation it's fun to read.

MaverickM11

Fri May 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 16):
1) Seat count is way up, from an average of 130-ish fleetwide before the merger to about 145 today

Capacity is still down regardless. Frankly I don't think anything is really down "because of the merger"; I think it's all down because WN's economics ain't what they used to be, and certainly not what FL's were or B6/NK's are.

DDR

Fri May 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 20):
I think it's all down because WN's economics ain't what they used to be, and certainly not what FL's were or B6/NK's are.

This is the truth. WN now has higher costs than most of the majors. The public is slowly discovering that WN is no longer the low fare carrier. These are issues that WN will have to deal with. My guess is that since WN now has some of the highest labor costs among the majors, we will see a major shift in philosophy at the carrier so that in 3-5 years they will be no different than UA, AA, DL.

usflyguy

Fri May 23, 2014 10:27 pm

My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

lpdal

Fri May 23, 2014 10:56 pm

I can't seem to wrap my mind around how Southwest can't afford to keep JAX-FLL but AA does MIA-MCO on 752s (lie flat ones at that! American Airlines Flagship Business Class MCO-MIA (by LPDAL May 20 2014 in Trip Reports) ) and MIA-TPA on 738s.
Actually, I wonder how AA affords to use mainliners on those routes as well!
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

TPAfan

Fri May 23, 2014 11:14 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 9):

I didn't think the departures were down that much, but I wouldn't question it. Recent cuts from TPA fro WN were EYW, JAX, and ROC was dropped to seasonal and I believe ORF has seen a change, or dropped completely. From an observation, the only markets that I though had lost capacity were MDW, BWI, MSY, and BNA from TPA, but the OAG threads could reveal it. Upcoming though, I think they will emerge strong at TPA from the merger. MCO seemed to take more of a hit. And TPA had a great april, so there could be signs of need for increased capacity in areas (april 2014 was up nearly 7% from 2013).

A side note, wiki is alright for airport routes, most of the time updated, but is anyone sure about the DAY flights from TPA or GRR? Are they seasonal?

xdlx

Fri May 23, 2014 11:15 pm

JAX is farther away from the "Florida Attractions". Yields/Fares are not as low as TPA/MCO.

DL is sure benefiting from their slow "realigment"

takeorf

Sat May 24, 2014 12:29 am

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 1):

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 3):

ORF also lost nonstop service to JAX and AirTran is ending its non stops to ATL from ORF next month, leaving it all to Delta.

Southwest/AirTran Cut Service from Norfolk

MAH4546

Sat May 24, 2014 12:31 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 23):
Actually, I wonder how AA affords to use mainliners on those routes as well!

Because MCO is the single most important feeder market for just about any flight from Miami to most any international city; TPA is also an important feeder market.

MIAMCO flights go out full, full and fuller.
a.

Cubsrule

Sat May 24, 2014 1:56 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 20):
Frankly I don't think anything is really down "because of the merger"; I think it's all down because WN's economics ain't what they used to be, and certainly not what FL's were or B6/NK's are.

That was the point I was trying to make.

Quoting TPAfan (Reply 24):
From an observation, the only markets that I though had lost capacity were MDW, BWI, MSY, and BNA from TPA, but the OAG threads could reveal it.

If true--and I don't follow TPA closely enough to know for sure--that's basically consistent with what we are seeing at a lot of other similar stations (like BNA, STL and MCI): some cuts to "traditional WN" and hub routes but new cities backfilling some of the losses.

TrijetsRMissed

Sat May 24, 2014 7:49 am

Forgive me for asking, (I'm a Chicagoan and not familiar with the Florida market), but I'm asking those more knowledgeable on the NE region:

Is it possible that DL will build-up a presence in TPA over the next 5 years? Perhaps once more 70-seaters and 88+ 717s are on-board? It could lead to two strong FL focus cities with JAX and TPA, adding to the dominant Southeast for DL. Or is that unrealistic, with a mix of LCC WN/NK and such always in the mix?
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

laca773

Sat May 24, 2014 11:23 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 5):

BHM, MSY, TPA, IND and now FLL are gone. MDW has been added. ATL and BNA have lost frequencies.

It seems like WN is starting to show a trend in these secondary airports as did the legacies whereby they slam the ax down on the point to point routes, and keep, or add additional frequencies to their large hubs which seems to be the case here.
I think if WN had a 100 seat a/c, these routes might be kept around, but I think we all agree, that won't happen anytime in the next five years.
ORF was a surprise cut as that's a heavily traveled market from JAX.
How did WN do when they had a nonstop to LAS? Is there any chance of this coming back?
HOU makes sense while PHX doesn't.

DL has always been the strongest in JAX. They have added additional frequencies to JFK x2, BOS x1.
Friday's schedule 23 May 2014
ATL: 757: x8; 739 x4
BOS: CR9 x1
CVG: CRJ x1
DTW: CR9 x1
JFK: CR9 x3
LGA: CR9 x1; CR7 x3
MSP: E75 x2

07 July 2014
ATL: M88 x2; M90 x1; 739 x2; 757 x7; 320 x1
DTW: E70 x1
LGA: CR9 x4

N312RC

Sat May 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Quoting laca773 (Reply 30):
DL has always been the strongest in JAX. They have added additional frequencies to JFK x2, BOS x1.
Friday's schedule 23 May 2014
ATL: 757: x8; 739 x4
CVG: CRJ x1
DTW: CR9 x1
LGA: CR9 x1; CR7 x3

07 July 2014
ATL: M88 x2; M90 x1; 739 x2; 757 x7; 320 x1
DTW: E70 x1
LGA: CR9 x4

Your summary of the schedule makes it look like CVG is going away. It's not, just does not operate daily during the summer. JAX is much different than the rest of Florida and is much more a business market than a tourist destination. JAX is one of the top 5 Medallion stations in the system and this is evidenced by all the frequencies and a Sky Club. It's historically been a strong station, commanding multiple daily 762/763 and L10 service back in the day. On the Monday after Sawgrass this year they had multiple 753 turns and nearly 2700 seats northbound that day.

Cubsrule

Sat May 24, 2014 2:09 pm

It seems like WN is starting to show a trend in these secondary airports as did the legacies whereby they slam the ax down on the point to point routes, and keep, or add additional frequencies to their large hubs which seems to be the case here.

Yeah, but that trend tends to be better for passengers both because it makes connections easier and because it tends to lead to more service to bigger cities. Flying JAX-IND but not JAX-MDW--which was the case for years and years--was silly.

MSYtristar

Sat May 24, 2014 2:55 pm

MSY is probably one of the few exceptions here. Since the merger, the only routes cut have been BHM and (shortly) EYW, while SAN, MCI, AUS, DCA, and EWR have been added...plus additional frequencies to DAL, MDW, and LAX.

TPAfan

Sat May 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 29):
Is it possible that DL will build-up a presence in TPA over the next 5 years? Perhaps once more 70-seaters and 88+ 717s are on-board? It could lead to two strong FL focus cities with JAX and TPA, adding to the dominant Southeast for DL. Or is that unrealistic, with a mix of LCC WN/NK and such always in the mix?

I assume you are aware that TPA is a larger operation, at least in terms of capacity, seeing 30+ departures on DL aircraft, not connection, which JAX sees alot of. But one that I was surprised about, and thought DL at TPA could follow JAX was adding BOS. DL is already very strong at MCO, and pretty strong at TPA and FLL. But I could see DL move up in capacity, and some even wonder if they could add international flights to TPA. Places such as BDL, BOS, SLC could be added, and follow the lead of the DL connection operation they established at MCO. I just don't know how much added capacity is needed at JAX, and I was surprised RSW was a little bit bigger overall. Maybe some more DL connection to DL flights.

laca773

Sat May 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Quoting N312RC (Reply 31):
Your summary of the schedule makes it look like CVG is going away. It's not, just does not operate daily during the summer. JAX is much different than the rest of Florida and is much more a business market than a tourist destination. JAX is one of the top 5 Medallion stations in the system and this is evidenced by all the frequencies and a Sky Club. It's historically been a strong station, commanding multiple daily 762/763 and L10 service back in the day. On the Monday after Sawgrass this year they had multiple 753 turns and nearly 2700 seats northbound that day.

The desktop timetable shows it not operating after 30 June 2014. I was wonering about that as well.
Doesn't DL still sub 763/753s on occasion ?

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 32):
Yeah, but that trend tends to be better for passengers both because it makes connections easier and because it tends to lead to more service to bigger cities. Flying JAX-IND but not JAX-MDW--which was the case for years and years--was silly.

Very true. Didn't make much sense.

Quoting TPAfan (Reply 34):
I assume you are aware that TPA is a larger operation, at least in terms of capacity, seeing 30+ departures on DL aircraft, not connection, which JAX sees alot of. But one that I was surprised about, and thought DL at TPA could follow JAX was adding BOS. DL is already very strong at MCO, and pretty strong at TPA and FLL. But I could see DL move up in capacity, and some even wonder if they could add international flights to TPA. Places such as BDL, BOS, SLC could be added, and follow the lead of the DL connection operation they established at MCO. I just don't know how much added capacity is needed at JAX, and I was surprised RSW was a little bit bigger overall. Maybe some more DL connection to DL flights.

Several years ago DL started LAX-JAX. Sadly, it got the axe, but do think, they could make it work now that the economy is improving. They have A319s they could operate in the market versus the 73Hs which was too much capacity. LAX-TPA is usually flown with a A320 4x a week now, which makes sense. I'm sure they upgauge to 73Hs when the demand is there. LAX-MCO sees 73H/757/739s depending on the day, and flight.

727LOVER

Sat May 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Say what???? How the heck they do JAX-BOS but not TPA-BOS????

Quoting TPAfan (Reply 34):
But I could see DL move up in capacity, and some even wonder if they could add international flights to TPA.

Now, I'd really like to know who "some" are. I suppose if international means NAS.....yeah, I could see that. If YYZ counts as TATL, then DL has flown TATL from TPA before.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

XT6Wagon

Sat May 24, 2014 9:00 pm

I think a big part of the issue here is focusing on non-stop flights. WN doesn't try to maximize non-stop flights. It tries to maximize 1 stop, no connection flights. So for longer flights, you might have to take your one stop where you never get off the plane, but it will open up a large number of flights between those two cities WITH that one stop somewhere.

Cubsrule

Sat May 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Quoting laca773 (Reply 35):
Several years ago DL started LAX-JAX. Sadly, it got the axe, but do think, they could make it work now that the economy is improving. They have A319s they could operate in the market versus the 73Hs which was too much capacity.

You are comparing it to much, much larger markets. The trouble with LAX-JAX is that for most passengers, connections over ATL are the easiest, and that will continue to be true with a single nonstop, especially if it's less than daily.

par13del

Sat May 24, 2014 11:08 pm

I think if WN had a 100 seat a/c, these routes might be kept around, but I think we all agree, that won't happen anytime in the next five years.

You mean again, WN did get a/c other than the 737 in their merger, it would make no sense for them to find use for a/c smaller than the 737 in 5 years time that they cannot use now.
No doubt they could use the 717's but they have chosen not to, so one of the results of the cost of the merger is that smaller markets have to go as an offset. Add in the opening up of DAL and the need for a/c without increasing the fleet size adds to the perfect storm of redeployment.

OzarkD9S

Wed May 28, 2014 10:35 am

Silver Airways is inaugurating FLL-JAX on Aug 29 with up to 3 daily flights, increasing to 6 on Nov 2:

http://worldairlinenews.com/2014/05/...derdalehollywood-and-jacksonville/
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

INFINITI329

Thu May 29, 2014 8:35 am

Quoting par13del (Reply 39):
No doubt they could use the 717's but they have chosen not to

The main problem with the 717, is that it has too similar costs to the 737 for WN. Similar costs with less range,less seats and less cargo space just would not make any sense.

WN is plateauing domestically. There are very few options for WN domestically ...except smaller (smaller aircraft) With the 737s the majority of growth will be international in central america and the caribbean.

milesrich

Fri May 30, 2014 3:31 am

You better check that out again. It's a five hour drive, according to mapquest, and its only 343 miles.
The speed limit is 70 but the Florida State Police don't stop you if you keep it under 80. It is NOT a good 7-8 hours, unless you decide to stop for a very leisurely lunch, and walk the dog twice at two more stops. I used to drive from Atlanta to Stuart in less than 8 hours.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos