OA260
Topic Author

A Very British Airline (BA) Starts 2nd June On BBC

Sun May 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Some trailers being shown on BBC. Looks quite promising from the bits they have shown. Will also be available for non UK viewers on Filmon.

A Very British Airline

British Airways is one of the UK’s most visible brands. It sells Britishness as a mark of quality to passengers all around the world.
However, in the last decade, the business has faced financial crisis, and today more people fly Easy Jet than BA. Against the turbulent backdrop of recent times, the BBC has been granted access to the inner world of the airline. From the top-level decisions made by CEO Willie Walsh about expansion in China, to the daily operations challenges of its global team, A Very British Airline on BBC Two follows some of BA’s 40,000 staff as they work to meet the iconic airline’s exacting standards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2014/22/very-british-airline

Trailer here :

http://youtu.be/fKYORG3JiNs

jetwet1

RE: A Very British Airline (BA) Starts 2nd June On BBC

Sun May 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Interesting, from looking at the trailer, maybe we will get to see the good and the bad and it not just be a commercial for BA.

rtfm

Sun May 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
From the top-level decisions made by CEO Willie Walsh

Willie Walsh is not the CEO of BA; Keith Williams is. WW is the CEO of IAG.

Womack17

Sun May 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Would love to see this show up on BBCA as soon as possible! Looks fascinating to me
Oh how I miss Midway Airlines. A class act right to then end.

BA0197

Sun May 25, 2014 5:03 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 1):
Interesting, from looking at the trailer, maybe we will get to see the good and the bad and it not just be a commercial for BA.

And that very fact showcases why the BBC is the best broadcasting company in the world. A true documentary will always be produced by them thanks to the fact that they are not funded by any influencing force and shadowed by the BBC Trust. This is also why their documentaries are of the highest quality and of interest.

The last time the BBC did a documentary on BA was in 1990 which is a VERY good watch indeed (the first of four episodes is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ug3tiLeffo ). Will be interesting to see the changes, nearly 25 years down the road.

lhrnue

Sun May 25, 2014 5:06 pm

I flew LHR-SIN-LHR last week with BA. On both legs the cabin of the 747 was in bad condition. Loose covers and window blinds. The dark blue colour scheme in the cabin is dreadful and outdated. On both legs the IFE required resetting several times (some customers in business where not happy at all, since no IFE for the whole flight). The cabin crew was quite busy ... mostly with themselves.
If this is the British approach to an airline, than I am not impressed.

CPDC10-30

Sun May 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Quoting lhrnue (Reply 5):
I flew LHR-SIN-LHR last week with BA. On both legs the cabin of the 747 was in bad condition

Next time try BA15/16 with the 77W. Flown LHR-SIN-SYD-SIN-LHR twice in the last six weeks and I have no complaints. I agree that the old 772 and 744 product is tired, but that's the reason it is being replaced. I've never had any issues with the new IFE system on the A388, 77W or the select refurbished 772ERs.

Really looking forward to the documentary - I'd love to get more detail of what the CSD's iPad is used for and why occasionally I am singled out for attention.

aviationaware

Sun May 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Hopefully this will be available for streaming outside the UK? Always pissed by the US stations not making their streams available outside the US...

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 4):
Will be interesting to see the changes, nearly 25 years down the road.

Absolutely. We live in a completely different world today, the environment for BA has changed massively since Lord King's days.

[Edited 2014-05-25 14:17:58]

DAL763ER

Sun May 25, 2014 11:06 pm

I can't way to see the show. As others have said, since it's made by the BBC, it should provide good insight and is certain not to have been influenced by $$$.

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 4):
The last time the BBC did a documentary on BA was in 1990 which is a VERY good watch indeed (the first of four episodes is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ug3tiLeffo ). Will be interesting to see the changes, nearly 25 years down the road.

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know there was one made in the past and now I can watch it until the new one comes through  
Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 6):
Really looking forward to the documentary - I'd love to get more detail of what the CSD's iPad is used for and why occasionally I am singled out for attention.

I got a glimpse of the iPad screen once during boarding. At the time it was showing the manifest with names, seat assignments and status. I don't know what else they're using it for otherwise.

DAL763ER

Sun May 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Quoting AviationAware (Reply 7):

Hopefully this will be available for streaming outside the UK? Always pissed by the US stations not making their streams available outside the US...

Probably not. Buy access to a VPN service, VPN into a UK location and then you can go to BBC iPlayer and watch the live stream. It asks "Do you have a license?". Just say "Yes" and no further questions will be asked. I use ExpressVPN and it's $12.95/month. Worth it if you want to watch stuff at the same time it's running.

harim

Mon May 26, 2014 3:48 am

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 8):
The last time the BBC did a documentary on BA was in 1990 which is a VERY good watch indeed (the first of four episodes is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ug3tiLeffo ).

Thank you - I very much enjoyed watching it!

BA0197

Mon May 26, 2014 4:01 am

Quoting AviationAware (Reply 7):
Absolutely. We live in a completely different world today, the environment for BA has changed massively since Lord King's days.

That is true! I do find the most interesting part of the BA 1990 documentary is part 2 with Lord King. Truly a man that suited his time and very admirable for what he did with BA indeed.

Quoting harim (Reply 11):
Thank you - I very much enjoyed watching it!

Just so everyone has all four, here are all four of the links to the BA Documentary produced by the BBC in 1990:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ug3tiLeffo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WojTIkHVqaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7batnFqCP8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6DPrB3A0iM

Honestly one of the best series of documentaries every produced and I thoroughly recommend it to everyone!

Kuja

Mon May 26, 2014 4:34 am

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 9):
Probably not. Buy access to a VPN service, VPN into a UK location and then you can go to BBC iPlayer and watch the live stream. It asks "Do you have a license?". Just say "Yes" and no further questions will be asked. I use ExpressVPN and it's $12.95/month. Worth it if you want to watch stuff at the same time it's running.

I'll second that, VPNs work very nicely when outside the country. I use AirVPN myself, which I have always found to be fast. It sports a good client and allows you to switch server location as much as you like, which are good features.

sandyb123

Mon May 26, 2014 7:46 am

I've just watched the first episode of the 90's version of that program. Can't believe how much the world has changed since then! Do BA pilots still have the same perks?

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

beakerltn

Mon May 26, 2014 8:32 am

Just watched Episode 2 - With Lord King. What an amazing insight into this character. Love the straight 'if you don't like the question, don't try to answer it, instead challenge the question' approach! he does this quite a lot.

On a different note, It's a little odd the duration being 48mins. Seems a bit short for an hour long programme (with no adverts). Makes one wonder if a political party broadcast followed perhaps????..... (BBC two hour long programmes are typically 55mins)
300/319/320/321/330/732/733/734/73G/738/744/772/77W/146/EMB135/EMB145

G-CIVP

Mon May 26, 2014 10:54 am

Quoting beakerltn (Reply 14):
On a different note, It's a little odd the duration being 48mins. Seems a bit short for an hour long programme (with no adverts). Makes one wonder if a political party broadcast followed perhaps????..... (BBC two hour long programmes are typically 55mins)

The following comment is rather tongue in cheek, but there's only so much mileage in filming flight attendant training, and asking a customer whether they want tea or coffee, chicken or beef!

This said, it will be interesting to see the gap between the corporate spin as portrayed (you can't tell me that BA's PR department won't have vetted the content) on the documentary and the experiences of BA by those on the forum.

willd

Mon May 26, 2014 11:07 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 1):

And thats the difference between television in the US and the UK. This show will be a proper true documentary, the BBC cannot advertise anything and therefore their shows are documentary rather than an advert dressed up as a documentary. Will be a stark contrast to, say, the US version of Airline or that programme on MIA- they are simply just adverts!

vv701

Mon May 26, 2014 4:08 pm

On a different note, It's a little odd the duration being 48mins. Seems a bit short for an hour long programme (with no adverts).

Exceting live broadcasts of events like sport, BBC 'half hour' programmes are typically 24 minutes 30 seconds long. This allows them to be sold around the world to commercial TV companies who can screen them with advertising before and after the programme along with a commercial break in the middle. In this case of the 1990 Airline programme the four one-hour episodes all conform to this pattern. They are 49 mins 17 secs, 48 mins 42 secs, 49 mins 20 secs and 49 min 16 secs long.

Here nothing has changed. So we can expect each of the new series to be 49 minutes plus or minus 20 seconds long.

Our non-British a-netters should note that the BBC uses these "commercial gaps" in their programming to trail future programmes and for "one minute news updates" comprising current news headlines. In turn bought-in programmes from commercial TV stations fit the same patter. So they allow the BBC to trail its programmes and broadcast news updates.

sandyb123

Mon May 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Just watched Episode 2 - With Lord King. What an amazing insight into this character. Love the straight 'if you don't like the question, don't try to answer it, instead challenge the question' approach! he does this quite a lot.

He is also very intimidating, almost bullying. A dinosaur by today's standards!

Sandyb123

LHRFlyer

Mon May 26, 2014 8:29 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 15):
This said, it will be interesting to see the gap between the corporate spin as portrayed (you can't tell me that BA's PR department won't have vetted the content) on the documentary and the experiences of BA by those on the forum.

BA will have had a lot of influence over what the cameras had access to (it's a given that five years BA would have never entertained the idea of a behind the scenes documentary!) but the final edit rests with the production company and the BBC, and there are a lot of people who have an influence over the final edits of programmes.

If the most negative words in the trailer are one passenger uttering the words "very disappointing" then, compared to the scenes in some other fly on the wall documentaries, BA will probably benefit from three hours of prime time exposure on the BBC.

evomutant

Mon May 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Quoting willd (Reply 16):
And thats the difference between television in the US and the UK. This show will be a proper true documentary, the BBC cannot advertise anything and therefore their shows are documentary rather than an advert dressed up as a documentary. Will be a stark contrast to, say, the US version of Airline or that programme on MIA- they are simply just adverts!

I am not sure about this.

They have recently been running a documentary about United Utilities, a water company in the North of England.

It was fascinating, and very interesting but unfailingly positive in its projection of the company (a company with an iffy record for its customer service).

airbuster

Tue May 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 11):

Thank you for posting the link. Just watched episode 1 and 2. I love the captain on the LHR-BKK leg, what a nice chap to work with. He seems very honest, interested and approachable as a captain.

This is the picture I grew up with of an airline pilots life. I still think, wow what a lifestyle and on the one hand flying has changed and on the other hand my airline still stays at the Bangkok Sheraton and sometimes has 7 day trips and the guys go down to patpong ( but that's a whole different story   ). The glamour is still there just not everywhere anymore.

Just my 2 pilot cents,

Great videos.

Airbuster
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

jumpjets

Tue May 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 11):
Just so everyone has all four, here are all four of the links to the BA Documentary produced by the BBC in 1990:

Don't forget the BBC documentary screened last year [I think] on a BA 747-400 having a D check .

You tube link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yHtfGH0nI

I think BA can regard itself as the official airline of the BBC!

APYu

Wed May 28, 2014 7:16 am

Just watched Episode 2 - With Lord King. What an amazing insight into this character

You got a great insight into his character when he welcomed the crew and passengers who had been held hostage in Kuwait back to London. His first question was to ask the Captain if he knew how the aircraft was.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

newhaven

Thu May 29, 2014 12:08 am

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 6):

Hmmmm ... what KIND of attention ??

chrisnh

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:01 pm

I have to applaud BA for doing this, knowing as they must that a 'warts-and-all' portrayal might end up being more 'warts.' But on the plus side, they get points from me for agreeing. I can't wait to see this (whenever/however) here in the U.S.

sandyb123

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:57 pm

WTF!!!!! This isn't on in Scotland. I've been looking forward to it and there is some utter nonsense about Scottish independence battles in the 13th century (which is made even more annoying as it's obviously independence propaganda).

Better be on iPlayer!!!

Sandyb123

sandyb123

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Got it! Thank goodness for online streaming  

Sandyb123

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Was not bad . Some interesting things the best for me was the engineering side. The cabin crew training took up a bit too much IMHO. Still the guy who got the 4th snap shot must have been gutted but Im glad BA keeps strict rules.

GDB

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 22):
I think BA can regard itself as the official airline of the BBC!

One way to appear like that, is to allow access with as few strings and limitations as possible.
Not being so hyper-paranoid about how allowing to be filmed might tarnish an image helps too!

I was once told by a BBC producer - from the early days of that Airport docu-soap in the late 1990's - that BA were easy and chilled out to work with, unlike another airline with a bearded PR mugging CEO.

EIDL

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Was fairly obvious from early on who were going to have issues with the demerit system - I get the sense that the lady on 3 won't be with us by the third episode just from the way the edit was assembled.

sassiciai

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 28):

Was not bad . Some interesting things the best for me was the engineering side. The cabin crew training took up a bit too much IMHO.

I was quite disappointed, to be honest

This was quite superficial, "TV-for-all" stuff, focused on the docu-drama stuff of cabin crew recruitment and training, 5% on airline operations coping with in-op aircraft. Not to mention the mythic music-laced bits about the super-mega-big A380 and its first long haul flight!

I dont think I'll be staying up for more of this!

sandyb123

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Quoting sassiciai (Reply 31):
I dont think I'll be staying up for more of this!

It's on at 9pm. How old are you!?

Sandyb123

sassiciai

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 32):
It's on at 9pm. How old are you!?

Parochial view!

The world has many different time zones! You live in 1 of them, and I live in a different one, so 9pm in UK is less optimal for me!

If you are motivated to watch the rest of this, then please post here any nuggets that the programme presents

sandyb123

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:56 am

Quoting sassiciai (Reply 33):
Parochial view

I was joking really. Although your profile says you live in Belgium so you share a very similar timezone unless it's out of date.

The one thing that I noticed from this programme is how much everything is exaggerated. The F fare prices being quoted are massively exaggerated.

For example, I'm flying to JNB in January and looking at flying with EK because my perception is that EK is cheaper, but actually for the dates in question BA are a very similar price and the itinerary is quicker (about £4k return and 13 hours flying).

I'll keep on watching out of interest, maybe will get better!

Sandyb123

aviationaware

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:24 am

Soooo...

Any way to watch this after broadcast?

speedbored

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:50 am

Quoting AviationAware (Reply 35):
Any way to watch this after broadcast?

Yes, it is available on the BBC iplayer site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...g/a-very-british-airline-episode-1

But it is restricted to viewers in the UK so you would need to pretend to be in the UK by using an IP proxy service like Proxify. Other IP proxy services are available  

G-CIVP

Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:43 am

I thought there was another thread on this topic but I can't seem to locate it. I watched the programme but I wasn't that impressed. I thought the cabin crew training was rather over zealous in terms of disciplining trainees for minor transgressions. It was obvious that the candidate by the name of Patrick would have been an asset to the airline; he was an enthusiastic and happy individual who had the ambition and drive to work for the airline. (And he was mad enough to get out of bed for the derisory pay!)

As for aircraft ops, switching an inoperable airbus for another is hardly difficult. My favourite line was the rather enthusiastic CSD briefing the flight crew of the first commerical BA A380 flight to LAX; "the eyes of the world are watching". Somehow I very much doubt it!

gordonsmall

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 34):
The F fare prices being quoted are massively exaggerated.

Not really, a fully-flexible F fare is pretty much bang on what they said in the program. You're comparing fully-flexible (i.e. available any time, and hence most expensive) with the lowest available, booked well in advance fare.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

Baexecutive

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 37):

I agree over the over zealous nature of the training part.

Regarding the Airbus switching, it is actually tricky as this particular route operates on a mid haul A321 with Club World flat beds with seat back screens for all customers, BA only have a very small sub fleet of these aircraft (not sure how many). If it had been a regular A320 family Ac then of course it wouldn't be an issue.

LHRFlyer

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Remember that six weeks of training was edited down to about 30 minutes. It's inevitable the producers will want to create drama.

As far as airline operations are concerned, being late is not a minor transgression. If someone doesn't recognise that, they're not airline material.

vv701

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 37):
My favourite line was the rather enthusiastic CSD briefing the flight crew of the first commerical BA A380 flight to LAX; "the eyes of the world are watching". Somehow I very much doubt it!

Cast your mind back to 28 March 2008. Then and for the next several days the eyes of the world were certainly on T5 at LHR simply because things did not go to plan.

If they had not gone to plan on BA269 on 24 September last you can be sure that the media would have been on to it like a ton of bricks. Here you can be pretty certain that a significant number of seats on that inaugural LAX flight were booked by the world's media and that they were hoping that everything would not run smoothly.

G-CIVP

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:18 pm

VV701 - I think most people would be apathetic on matter. It's like saying that everyone was studying the first commercial flight of Lufthansa's A380. The german media covered it but in the grander scheme of things, it was small beer. My world didn't stop when BA269 took-off! As for T5 and the teething problems, even I can't remember these and I have a pretty good memory. Certainly for an event that happened over six years ago, it has little relevance now.

baexecutive - acknowledged. It is more difficult subbing an aircraft with the precise seating configuration, especially if there are limited substitutes. My point was, it isn't difficult and didn't need great skill or dexterity. As someone detailed above, everything in the programme seemed 'exaggerated'.

gordonsmall

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Of course it was exaggerated, if it wasn't then it would have made for extremely boring television. Everything on TV is an exaggeration of what happens in the real world, even the 6 o'clock news!

You're looking at it from the point of someone with an elevated knowledge of the subject, but the program was aimed at Joe Bloggs who doesn't know one end of an airplane from the other. If the program had portrayed the operation in it's real-world state of slow, steady, cliniical and boring progress then Joe Bloggs and his family would have turned over to watch something else after 10 minutes. Not what the doctor ordered.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

vv701

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 42):
I think most people would be apathetic on matter. It's like saying that everyone was studying the first commercial flight of Lufthansa's A380.

Sorry. I am not making myself clear. If something had gone seriously wrong on LH's inaugural 380 flight it would be all over the media. It did not. So it was not news worthy other than as a small note in the inside pages of German newspapers.

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 42):
As for T5 and the teething problems, even I can't remember these and I have a pretty good memory.

This might help you remember. The article is titled "Terminal 5, another British cock-up that had to happen". And it is not from the British tabloid press b ut from one of the more staid British broad sheets:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...airwaysbusiness.theairlineindustry

Note that the article starts by calling it "BA's £4.3 billion Terminal 5" when, of course it was built and paid for and is still owned by Heathrow Airport Ltd. But why let a little inaccuracy like that get in the way of an opportunity to publicly slam BA? If you had had a better memory then you would probably have understood BA's sensitivity over their inaugural 380 flight.

Bongodog1964

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:29 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 34):
The one thing that I noticed from this programme is how much everything is exaggerated. The F fare prices being quoted are massively exaggerated.

BA.COM quotes £13.5k for a fully flexible 1st class return LHR-LAX later this month.

Boeing74741R

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:04 pm

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 40):

It's not just the aviation industry where punctuality matters. UK train companies get fined for running late trains, as well as fined for any delays caused by their train.

In a congested airport like LHR, serving other equally-congested airports globally and operating a fleet which is expected to operate multiple turns in one day, every minute counts.

As for the programme itself, I found it quite interesting. I noted the emphasis on the trainee cabin crew, but on one hand it's good for the programme to cover the human aspect of working for BA, especially those joining the company for the first time.

G-CIVP

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:05 pm

VV701 - I don't know why you are bringing T5 into the equation, completely different subject.

evomutant

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:28 pm

I hope that training was exxagerated for TV, because otherwise it is a wonder anyone is prepared to earn that little to be treated like children.

GDB

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Quoting evomutant (Reply 48):
I hope that training was exxagerated for TV, because otherwise it is a wonder anyone is prepared to earn that little to be treated like children.

Earn that little? You mean in comparison with other crew on other airlines?
Did you not notice that many of the recruits used to be FA's on other carriers?
What does that tell you?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos