Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sassiciai
Topic Author

Security Of Carry-on Bags

Wed May 28, 2014 12:16 pm

I just travelled on an HKG - AUH - BRU trip, I started off in Hong Kong with a variety of currencies in my wallet, fortunately the total value was about 100EUR. For the flights, I pushed my wallet deep into my backpack, which was tightly packed, and put the pack in the overhead locker.

When I finally got home and unpacked everything, I realised my camera (which has a security tamper-proof sticker on it) was in the "other half" of my bag than where I packed it, that the other contents had been "rearranged", and that all the cash in my wallet was gone! My wallet contained several credit cards, driving licence, national ID cards, and my passport - but these were still there! I can only assume that an on-board thief might consider the prospect of an all-pax search if it is determined before de-planing that there has been a theft, so only anonymous cash is OK

I wrote to the airline, more to get my irritation off my chest, also telling them that I don't hold them responsible, while suggesting that they consider pointing out the risks to carry-on luggage on their website, and/or during the security briefing onboard.

This attempt to open a new thread is also partially to let off steam! IF this topic is deemed unacceptable, then I'm sure the Mods will swiftly remove it!

I had a look on Internet, but didn't find much. The most relevant that I found quickly is the following:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/04/tr...rry-on-theft-from-plane/index.html

This was a learning experience for me, and I vow that I will never again be done like this onboard a commercial flight.

I would be interested to know of any similar experiences.

citationjet

RE: Security Of Carry-on Bags

Wed May 28, 2014 1:22 pm

I keep my carry on luggage locked with a TSA lock when I place it in the overhead bins. Never had a problem. Also, any important items I keep under the seat in front of me, and not in the overhead locker.

[Edited 2014-05-28 06:47:38]
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

NBGSkyGod

Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Any important documents, ID cards, money, travel documents, I try to keep on or very near my person at all times. For this very reason. Also it helps to be a very light sleeper. If you have to put your bag under your seat, wrap your leg around part of the strap, it will help to feel when someone is touching your bag.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

tjwgrr

Wed May 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Quoting sassiciai (Reply 5):
Maybe a PEK330 would be less rude and sarcastic!

good comeback... bravo!
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

par13del

Wed May 28, 2014 4:34 pm

So if the back pack was in the overhead bin and you remained on the a/c, when did someone get the chance to go through the bag and remove the cash, assume that when you went through security you watched the bag go through the scanner and you were waiting on the other side, so not much time away from each other.

sassiciai
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2014 5:18 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 7):
So if the back pack was in the overhead bin and you remained on the a/c, when did someone get the chance to go through the bag and remove the cash, assume that when you went through security you watched the bag go through the scanner and you were waiting on the other side, so not much time away from each other.

Good question to clarify the situation

The HKG - AUH flight left at around 7.30pm, so after meal service et al, on a 9-hour flight west-bound, I was looking for 4 or 5 hours sleep! The second flight, AUH - to BRU, was also a night flight, and I had 3 of the middle 4 seats for the first part of the flight, and slept 3 hours or so. I kept my bag close to me throughout the stopover in AUH. but it was in the overhead locker for both flights

I accept that I am at fault, so anyone else (as well as PEK777) who wants to blame me is, er, wasting their time.

Just wanted to bring this occurance to the A.net members' notice, so that everyone may benefit from a tighter security on hand bags!

Anyone standing up in the middle of the night in a long haul flight has no-worry access to any overhead luggage (where the bulk of the cabin occupants are asleep) - that's what I wanted to headline for all!

[Edited 2014-05-28 10:20:20]

Yflyer

Wed May 28, 2014 6:08 pm

I was told in the "information security" class I was required to take at work that if you're going to put your laptop bag (and by extension anything else that's valuable) in an overhead bin, you should put it across the aisle from your seat, not directly above your head. If it's across the aisle you can more easily keep an eye on it and can actually see if someone is messing with your bag. If it's above you you can't see it, and can't tell whether that guy getting something from the overhead bin during the flight is getting it from his own bag or yours.

thaiflyer

Wed May 28, 2014 6:16 pm

I travel on a biweekly basis for the last 24 years and never had any problems.
But for sure this opens my eyes and i will lock my carry on from now on.
The reason i leave my wallet etc in my carry-on is not for the security or so but i don't find it comfortable to sit and/or sleep for a long time with stuff in my pockets.
I try to remove everything from my clothes when i'm flying.

pasu129

Wed May 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Quoting sassiciai (Thread starter):
I would be interested to know of any similar experiences.

Sorry for your lost and experience. And yes PEK330 might be more sympathetic...

Unfortunately it has become a growing issue with onboard security with carryon luggages/bags, especially when you are traveling on a long-haul flight that requires a little nap-time from take-off to landing. I would strongly suggest to use one of the TSA locks mentioned by CitationJet, to ensure no one else on the plane have access to your belongings while you're taking your beauty rest.

You can, however, report to onboard flight attendants about the incident when it happened, they maybe able to assist you further, although that might cause arrival delays.

As a precaution, you should never expose your personal valuables on the plane, including but not limited to cash, passports, and jewelry...etc.

Again sorry for your unfortunate experience.
Viva Las Vegas

Treg

Wed May 28, 2014 8:24 pm

I had once rather similar story. It was on a LH flight (short-haul). I had a wallet in my jacket's inner pocket. It was a winter time (i.e. many clothes in overhead bins) and the pocket had a zipper. Nevertheless, during the flight I visited a toilet and after the flight I realized that there were some Euro notes missing. The thief was clever enough to take only some money such that I wouldn't recognize it instantly. The damage was not big (less than 100 EUR) but after that I never leave my wallet to the overhead bins.

B747forever

Wed May 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 9):
if you're going to put your laptop bag (and by extension anything else that's valuable) in an overhead bin, you should put it across the aisle from your seat, not directly above your head.

Have never put anything in the overhead bin above my seat, everything goes in the bin across the aisle.
Work Hard, Fly Right

thaiflyer

Wed May 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 10):
if you're going to put your laptop bag (and by extension anything else that's valuable) in an overhead bin, you should put it across the aisle from your seat, not directly above your head.

Good advise i think i will do that in the future.
In this way you can keep a eye on your belongings.

par13del

Wed May 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 6):
I was told in the "information security" class I was required to take at work that if you're going to put your laptop bag (and by extension anything else that's valuable) in an overhead bin, you should put it across the aisle from your seat, not directly above your head.

Good advise, I admit I never thought of that, hopefully the F/A's are not too strict when they see you store one side and sit the other. It's only in the last couple years I started using the bins, usually I put my laptop or camera bag under the seat in front.

bennett123

Thu May 29, 2014 6:34 am

Personally, I keep my wallet in my pocket.

The rest goes into my carry on under the seat in front.

Very annoying to lose your cash, but glad it was not worse.

AyostoLeon

Thu May 29, 2014 6:56 am

Sorry to learn of your misfortune.

I tend to keep cash, credit cards and travel documents in a pouch on my person at all times and not just because there may be a thief on board.

What do you do in the "unlikely event of..."? You don't have the opportunity to take your carry-on luggage down an emergency shute. More, if you are making an unscheduled landing in a country where your country might not have an embassy or consulate, sorting out ID and cash could be a problem.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

n729pa

Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 am

I've just come back from SYD this weekend and I use a pair of combination locks on my bag when it was in the overhead bin. My wallet I always keep on me regardless, as "AyostoLeon" says...."what if....." situation arises. Passport tends to be in the bag locked away along with any documents in a special pouch.

I've been known to do this on short flights too, where at the back of the plane you are sometimes restricted on where you can put your bags. If I have to put them above a row or two in front of me, then I do get anxious but I will put the bag on the opposite to the one I'm sitting so that I can at least see it should anyone open the bin.

I've also cautious if I have a duty free bag, as one bag looks like another ...."oh dear I've made a mistake"....yes of course you did, so unless I can then repack it into my other bag (which is a very large camera bag I might add), then the duty free goes under the seat.

The other consideration I have is not so much what someone can remove from your bag, but what they can also put into yours should they need to get rid of something. I doubt many customers officers will believe a plee of "I've never seen that before", and we know the perils of getting caught in some countries!

sassiciai
Topic Author

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Quoting n729pa (Reply 15):
The other consideration I have is not so much what someone can remove from your bag, but what they can also put into yours should they need to get rid of something. I doubt many customers officers will believe a plee of "I've never seen that before", and we know the perils of getting caught in some countries!

Thanks to all of you who contributed your thoughts, I have learned quite a few things from this that should make future travel a bit safer for me and my on-board possessions!

Quite an eye-opener to consider the "add to my bag" scenario - imagine arriving into a death-penalty-for-drug-smugglers country, and having someone else's load discovered in your backpack! Quite scary! Wont happen to me from now on!

citationjet

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Quoting n729pa (Reply 15):

That is very true. I am more concerned about what someone may ADD to my checked and carry on luggage, then what they may REMOVE from it. You may have a hard time convincing customs agents that items they may find in your luggage was actually placed there by someone else, without your knowing it. I recently thought of that when I entered Singapore, which has very strict drug laws.

Getting off a cruise ship, for instance, your checked luggage is placed outside your cabin door the night before you leave the ship. That is a long time for luggage to be out of your sight. That is why I use TSA locks on my checked and carry on luggage.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos