Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sfjeff

RE: Rumor Around XNA, New Airlines Entering Market

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 48):
BUT, what was it back when XNA was built, in the late 90s, early 00s?

XNA opened in late 1998. In the 2000 census, the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville MSA had 311,121 people and the Fort Smith MSA had 207, 290 people. Since then, Fort Smith has had modest growth, but nothing like NW Arkansas.
Jeff in Málaga

razorbackfan

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:42 am

Quoting sfjeff (Reply 50):

Any idea what the passenger traffic was at FSM in 1998?

mayor

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:50 am

Quoting sfjeff (Reply 50):
XNA opened in late 1998. In the 2000 census, the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville MSA had 311,121 people and the Fort Smith MSA had 207, 290 people.

I'm sure, in square miles, the Northwest Arkansas MSA is much larger than the Fort Smith MSA, hence a larger area from which to draw population numbers.

Quoting razorbackfan (Reply 51):

Any idea what the passenger traffic was at FSM in 1998?

Not sure, but I know that DL was still flying to FSM AND Fayetteville (Drake Field) at that time. Sometime after that, DL closed ops at FSM and Drake Field and moved everything to XNA.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

usdcaguy

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:07 am

What's interesting to me is that for years, US had service to Drake Field but not OKC/TUL. I think it was just a Dash-8 to CLT, perhaps something smaller. I guess Oklahoma was just a little too far in a prop plane. Today, I think WN is crazy for not serving XNA. I believe part of the problem used to be that NW and AA already had most of the jet bridges taken; with the expansion, that doesn't matter as much. Part of the gate area still looks like the inside of a Wal-Mart, though.

mayor

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:37 am

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 53):
Part of the gate area still looks like the inside of a Wal-Mart, though.

I've worked in cargo warehouses that were more homey looking.  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

sfjeff

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:41 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 52):
I'm sure, in square miles, the Northwest Arkansas MSA is much larger than the Fort Smith MSA, hence a larger area from which to draw population numbers.

I am sorry, but you are mistaken. The Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers-Bentonville MSA consists of four counties (Benton, Madison, and Washington in Arkansas and McDonald in Missouri), with a total area of 3213 square miles. The Fort Smith MSA consists for five counties (Sebastian, Crawford, and Franklin in Arkansas and Le Flore and Sequoyah in Oklahoma) with a total area of 4082 square miles. Le Flore County alone has an area of 1608 square miles.
Jeff in Málaga

mayor

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:57 am

Quoting sfjeff (Reply 55):
I am sorry, but you are mistaken. The Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers-Bentonville MSA consists of four counties (Benton, Madison, and Washington in Arkansas and McDonald in Missouri), with a total area of 3213 square miles. The Fort Smith MSA consists for five counties (Sebastian, Crawford, and Franklin in Arkansas and Le Flore and Sequoyah in Oklahoma) with a total area of 4082 square miles. Le Flore County alone has an area of 1608 square miles.

Not questioning your stats, but how the people that compiled them, did so. Sequoyah county in Oklahoma is only about an hour from TUL, so even if is considered in FSM's MSA, I would imagine most travelers aren't going to FSM but TUL. I'm also surprised that there are no areas in NE Oklahoma that are in the NW Arkansas MSA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos