avibeast
Topic Author

New International Routes From IAD

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:14 pm

With Air China set to begin flights to Beijing and united to start seasonal service to Madrid, any news or predictions/rumors about new routes??any new IAD development news??

flyiguy

RE: New International Routes From IAD

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:32 pm

LAN has long rumored to start SCL via LIM

Was hoping BWIA or Grand Cayman Air would be returning...UA has lots of carribean but it's usually seasonal or weekend only.

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

bjorn14

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:33 pm

I was hoping for DUS, BER, LED, OSL, ARN not sure if MXP is already served.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

UALFAson

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 2):
not sure if MXP is already served

No current MXP service after both UA and AZ tried the route and failed. (Too bad for my mom--it was her favorite flight to work.)

UA currently serves FCO nonstop, but only seasonally I believe.

Quoting flyiguy (Reply 1):
UA has lots of carribean but it's usually seasonal or weekend only.

I'm surprised there's not more Caribbean service myself, with all the $$$ in the area and the close proximity for a weekend getaway. I guess there's just not enough (business) demand on a day-to-day basis outside those periods.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

kgaiflyer

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Was hoping BWIA or Grand Cayman Air would be returning...UA has lots of carribean but it's usually seasonal or weekend only.

SkyWest's OW CR-7 service was discussed in another thread. Meanwhile, IAD-NAS-ORD / ORD-NAS-IAD in CR-7s starts next week.

Btw, BWIA ceased service December 31st 2006.

[Edited 2014-06-02 14:17:39]

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:19 pm

UA currently serves FCO nonstop, but only seasonally I believe

UA's only year round service to FCO is from IAD. EWR is seasonal.

I could see UA adding BDA, as they only service Hamilton with a single daily flight from EWR

With the loss of codeshare feed from US, United has lost many options to the Caribbean. However, UA has a chronic shortage of planes at the moment, and I don't think we'll see them start up many routes to that area, one in which they are quite weak in.

kgaiflyer

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:46 pm

I was hoping for DUS, BER, LED, OSL, ARN

If DUS, BER, or CGN could be served with 757s, service might be considered.

As the DC area is now home to Audi AG America, DRS and LEJ might be possibilities.

avibeast
Topic Author

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:56 pm

Unite does have the potential to grow in IAD, if only the new concourse gets built! Don't think this will happen anytime soon....

avibeast
Topic Author

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:58 pm

A new middle eastern airline would be nice,, Royal Jordanian or Royal Air Maroc. Who knows maybe Air Algierie( they only serve Montreal in North America). Alitalia could make a comeback once the Etihad investments go through for Alitalia..

burchfiel

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Quoting avibeast (Reply 7):
Unite does have the potential to grow in IAD, if only the new concourse gets built!

From what I've read on Anet, the C/D concourses are drab and unsightly but "functional." I don't think it's the concourses themselves that are limiting UA's potential at IAD.

eastern023

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:47 pm

LAN has long rumored to start SCL via LIM

LAN (LP) currently has the authority to fly IAD-LIM but it has never left the drawing board. No idea if the plan was to market it IAD-LIM-SCL or if the flight will ever start. I would love to see LAN at IAD from LIM, GRU or BOG. Even better from SCL non stop, but I doubt the flight would work. I miss the Ladeco (UC) milk run days (JFK-BWI-MIA-SCL-EZE on a 752 no less!).
AA will Rise Again!

capitalflyer

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:44 am

Not a new route, but BA will be bringing in the A380 beginning in September. That will make two, AF already has been serving with A380. I assume they still have more capacity to add A380 flights with others, perhaps Emirates?

capitalflyer

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:01 am

Still baffled about no flights to South Asia, DEL/BOM/ISB/etc. Whoever starts this first will make big bucks. The demand has to be there. I think it might be hidden because folks are more than happy taking Emirates and Etihad and connecting.

What about LGW/STN/LON/BHX? Stockholm? Orly? Sarajevo? Athens?

Nairobi? Jakarta? Sydney? Bangkok? Dublin?

I would like to see IAD try and get flights to every national capital, athough I realize that isn't likely g

jetblastdubai

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:13 am

Quoting Burchfiel (Reply 9):
From what I've read on Anet, the C/D concourses are drab and unsightly but "functional."

I came in last week from DXB and was literally sitting in the seat of my connecting flight 20 minutes after we landed. I have Global Entry and no checked luggage. Left DXB late due to the runway closure congestion hence the close connection. You cannot beat IAD for Int'l to domestic connections on United mainline or any RJ flights that leave from C/D.

You can hate IAD for not being pretty but it's absolutely the most efficient airport for Int'l connections. T7 at LAX is equally as good from my experiences.

avibeast
Topic Author

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:21 am

Quoting capitalflyer (Reply 11):

Well the 787 from etihad is coming next year in January.. Perhaps Qatar will use the A380 , Emirates as well...

avibeast
Topic Author

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:23 am

Quoting capitalflyer (Reply 12):

air India did have an IAD to DEL nonstop but that was short loved.. PIA flew to Karachi I believe for a while back in the 1990s

avibeast
Topic Author

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:26 am

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 13):

The B/A concourse is actually pretty nice, as all the international flights non united depart from there. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with the proposed c/d concourse redevelopment ..

jfidler

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:26 am

I assume they still have more capacity to add A380 flights with others, perhaps Emirates?

When EK launched their IAD-DXB service, the ads I saw for the new route (on the subway and in local newspapers) seemed to emphasize how they were using Boeing planes, perhaps for political reasons. Now that was almost 2 years ago, so maybe it's no longer a selling point and switching the route to Airburs will be fine. How many A380s can IAD handle at a time?

Personally, I'd like to see OZ add IAD-ICN, but I'm not sure what OZ's strategy is for US routes when KE already flies it -- maybe they prefer not to compete head-on if it can be avoided.

burchfiel

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:53 am

Quoting avibeast (Reply 16):
The B/A concourse is actually pretty nice, as all the international flights non united depart from there

Yes, it's a gorgeous concourse. If the new C/D concourses look like that I think travelers would be pleased.

Still baffled about no flights to South Asia, DEL/BOM/ISB/etc.

The only 3 US airports with service to India are ORD, JFK, and EWR. With JFK and EWR so close to Dulles I'm not too hopeful that we'll see this route very soon. Perhaps AI joining the *A will give IAD - DEL/BOM the spark it needs.

RyanairGuru

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:06 am

Dublin?

Already flown year round by UA (I don't think it is seasonal?)

Jakarta? Sydney?

I'm not sure if these were serious suggestions, but while there might be some volume to CGK the yields would be so bad it would actually be amusing. You would be able to fly half way around the world for less than a trip to LAX!

SYD simply won't happen, period. All four airlines are happy routing passengers through LAX, SFO or DFW. Anything to the east of Texas requires a stop-over anyway, so it makes little to no sense for the Australian carriers to continue flying TCON with their own metal given that tags are notoriously difficult to make a profit on and that they can't access any local traffic. JFK is an exception for QF given that there is enough premium traffic (banking etc) for QF to fly LAX-JFK. For anything else the yield simply isn't there. At best you might see UA offer "same flight number, different plane" service IAD-SFO/LAX-SYD but that doesn't add anything over connecting to a different flight number. And anyway, I would imagine that the majority of the government traffic (on both ends - AA is the GSA carrier on the route) will be flying DCA-DFW-SYD once DFW-SYD goes non-stop.

I would like to see IAD try and get flights to every national capital

Well since we seem to be living in a fantasy land, I will say that as a Canberran with family in Virginia that I promise to patronize whichever carrier launches CBR-IAD 
Worked Hard, Flew Right

konrad

Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:08 am

IAD is high on LOT's wish list of future destinations.

mhkansan

Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:18 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 19):
Well since we seem to be living in a fantasy land, I will say that as a Canberran with family in Virginia that I promise to patronize whichever carrier launches CBR-IAD 

To capitalize on the high yielding government traffic, the service really ought to go from DCA... nonstop of course.

MWAAdude

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:24 am

Quoting Burchfiel (Reply 9):
From what I've read on Anet, the C/D concourses are drab and unsightly but "functional." I don't think it's the concourses themselves that are limiting UA's potential at IAD.
Quoting avibeast (Reply 7):
Unite does have the potential to grow in IAD, if only the new concourse gets built! Don't think this will happen anytime soon....

I've mentioned this in previous IAD threads, but there is no way that a new C/D happens until the debt servicing issues at MWAA are figured out. MWAA will have to pay for some of the new Concourse and they don't have the means to do so right now with the DCMP entering its second phase. Additionally, the construction of the new Tier II concourse would ALSO include the extension of the western APM tunnel to the D concourse as part of its project scope. This element alone would dramatically increase final cost of the project. Probably by up to 200-300 million dollars (just my guess).

Another thing to keep in mind is continuity of operations while the new concourse is being built. I don't know what the plans are for that, but I always heard people chatting about how the E gates might be built in order to serve as a "lifeboat" for continuity of operations while the C/D gates were being rebuilt. The Tier III gates have always been planned to be built in two phases with the E gates being built before the F gates due to the presence of the shell APM station for the Tier III gates in the East APM tunnel.

Of course, all of that Tier III mumbo jumbo was back in 2004-2005 when the airport was doing much better in terms of PAX than it is now. I always pull for IAD but the outlook isn't too bright right now. Maybe Frontier will have luck and want to move out of the Z gates... I don't know. Maybe UA will pull its head out of its butt, I don't know. Bottom line is a new project = risk and MWAA can't afford it right now.

mariner

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:26 am

Quoting MWAAdude (Reply 22):
Maybe Frontier will have luck and want to move out of the Z gates... I don't know.

Just out of interest, what would happen if Frontier started an international flight - CUN or PVR, say.

Presumably, it couldn't use the Z gates for the arrival?

mariner
aeternum nauta

LoudounHound

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 23):
Just out of interest, what would happen if Frontier started an international flight - CUN or PVR, say.

They'd probably have to use a hardstand and get one of the planemates to take passengers to the IAB, then tow the plane to the Z gates.

jetblue1965

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:41 pm

JAL can try IAD but that's not a new route per se

UA may attempt PVG, or more remotely, HKG

Something way left field : SAS to ARN

MWAAdude

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 23):

mariner
Quoting LoudounHound (Reply 24):
They'd probably have to use a hardstand and get one of the planemates to take passengers to the IAB, then tow the plane to the Z gates.

That would be my guess. Although theoretically if for some reason they didn't want to use a hardstand they could probably park it really quickly over at some of the A/B gates on the North side of Tier I and then have people go to the IAB on one of the peoplemovers (not the planemates per say) and then tow the aircraft across the taxiway. Outside of the peak hours there are plenty of open spots in A/B.

AADC10

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Quoting MWAAdude (Reply 22):
Another thing to keep in mind is continuity of operations while the new concourse is being built. I don't know what the plans are for that, but I always heard people chatting about how the E gates might be built in order to serve as a "lifeboat" for continuity of operations while the C/D gates were being rebuilt.

Really? I find it difficult to believe that MWAA did not think to allow enough space for the replacement C/D to be built without disrupting the current one. Judging by the position of the APM station, the new concourse is intended to be between taxiways E and F, which may not allow for simultaneous operation of the south side of the current concourse and the north side of the new one, but the transition should not take more than a few days. The only reason to build "E Gates" is to use the existing APM tracks rather than having to tunnel to D, so they could build C and E while D would be further in the future.

avibeast
Topic Author

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Surprised that EL AL has not announced an IAD-TLV route or United for that matter. EL Al serves EWR, JFK, MIA, LAX, so why not IAD?

bsbisland

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:34 pm

IAD-BSB with UA 757 would be nice. Not sure if the market is there for a fourth player on Brasilia-USA, or if the route is too long for the 757.

MWAAdude

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 27):
Really? I find it difficult to believe that MWAA did not think to allow enough space for the replacement C/D to be built without disrupting the current one. Judging by the position of the APM station, the new concourse is intended to be between taxiways E and F, which may not allow for simultaneous operation of the south side of the current concourse and the north side of the new one, but the transition should not take more than a few days. The only reason to build "E Gates" is to use the existing APM tracks rather than having to tunnel to D, so they could build C and E while D would be further in the future.

You may very well be right about this. When I heard people mention this back almost 10 years ago now I wasn't paying super close attention to the reasons behind everything. I just heard several people mention this. Hopefully you are right and MWAA doesn't have to do anything about E because that would just jack up the price of the whole venture even more which is the last thing that anybody involved with this needs.

IrishAyes

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Quoting avibeast (Reply 28):

Surprised that EL AL has not announced an IAD-TLV route or United for that matter. EL Al serves EWR, JFK, MIA, LAX, so why not IAD?

Firstly, LY hasn't served MIA since 2008. It is a very under-served market that they likely cannot earn a profit on until they find suitable aircraft to fly the route. They were also held back from US expansion with Category 2 for a long time.

With LY, it's complicated, unfortunately, when you have 18 long-haul fleet types that span across 6 Boeing 744s, 6 763s and 6 772s without any future deliveries scheduled to replace them.

bjorn14

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:25 am

I forgot to mention Stuttgart.

bjorn14

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:27 am

I forgot to mention Stuttgart.

IADLHR

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Quoting konrad (Reply 20):
IAD is high on LOT's wish list of future destinations.

It has been for quite sometime too. About 7 years ago I was returning to IAD and I walked out of customs directly behind a man who turned out to be the CEO of LOT. There was a group of people from WMATA that went right up to him and introduced themselves etc.

A few days later I was leaving IAD on a trip and saw the same man being given a tour IAD. From what little bit I heard and saw one would have thought that an announcement by LOT starting IAD service was a given. I totally lost track of that story and have no idea where things stand.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos