Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a340crew
Topic Author

EI Cabin Crew To Lose Flight Benefits

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:09 am

Didn't see this posted. Aer Lingus crew who striked this past week will lose there flight benefits, despit returning to work, as a result of the strike. Looks like thinks will get more hostile between EI crew and management.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/s...-from-cabin-crew-strikers-1.181881

thaiflyer

RE: EI Cabin Crew To Lose Flight Benefits

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:56 am

Link is only accessible for members.

flyingthe757

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:24 am

I would amend the title as it makes it sound like all crew are loosing it, not just the striking crew.

airportugal310

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:32 am

Kind of a harsh "sentence" so to speak, and I suspect that won't go over very well...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

AyostoLeon

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:14 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 5):
The Irish times doesn't need a subscription so am surprised it doesn't open.

For some reason the link redirects to a digital archive that requires a subscription ranging from 10 Euro for 24 hours to 395 Euro for one year. However, the page can be reached by going to the home page and navigating through business > transport and tourism > and scrolling down to select a link on that page.
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:46 am

Didn't BA try this a few years ago with their striking cabin crew? Were their benefits ever reinstated?
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

compliancecheck

Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:59 pm

How many cabin crew does EI have, and how many were on strike?

usdcaguy

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:28 pm

This seems all about having a fair roster and the ability to schedule one's life around one's work. The EI pilots already get to work five days on, three days off, so the flight attendants should have the same type of schedule. Withdrawing flight benefits seems to be a negotiating tactic here; it puts something else on the table that is totally unrelated to the question at hand to put the union in the position of having to ask for two things instead of one.

What is interesting is that withholding flight benefits never comes up in the US as a negotiating tactic. It seems like the American management teams would see that as unnecessary when they control a number of levers such as pay, retirement, a myriad of insurance plans in addition to working conditions. All of those things give them far more bargaining chips than companies based in Europe have as many European governments provide such things as medical insurance and pension benefits. I'm not sure how disability, etc. is handled over there.

par13del

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 7):
What is interesting is that withholding flight benefits never comes up in the US as a negotiating tactic. It seems like the American management teams would see that as unnecessary when they control a number of levers such as pay, retirement, a myriad of insurance plans in addition to working conditions. All of those things give them far more bargaining chips than companies based in Europe have as many European governments provide such things as medical insurance and pension benefits.

So since they do not have those options provided by government, what else are they supposed to use to punish mal-contents?

Eagleboy

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Quoting flyingthe757 (Reply 2):
I would amend the title as it makes it sound like all crew are loosing it, not just the striking crew.
Quoting compliancecheck (Reply 6):

How many cabin crew does EI have, and how many were on strike?

According to media reports EI have approx 1250 cabin crew over 3 bases. 1100 in the striking union and 150 in the other union.
The ballot for industrial action was passed by 98%.

Media reporter states that only the 450 crew who were planned to operate on may 30th will lost flight benefits. Which seems very petty considering that EI cancelled all flights on May 30th approx 10 days previously.

*as an aside, EI flight benefits are not as generous as many other European carriers. EI overbook as a reservations policy so standby is risky during the summer.

Quoting par13del (Reply 8):
what else are they supposed to use to punish mal-contents?

While I would agree that ID90's are a privilege, the staff have done nothing wrong under Irish law. Their employer stipulates that they must be members of one of 2 recognised trade unions. Voting for industrial action is seen as a right under Irish labour laws.

Rdh3e

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 9):
*as an aside, EI flight benefits are not as generous as many other European carriers. EI overbook as a reservations policy so standby is risky during the summer.

Isn't overbooking the norm? It certainly is in the US, which is why Sep-Nov and Jan-Mar15 are the "non-rev seasons" as volumes are lower.

par13del

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:12 pm

the staff have done nothing wrong under Irish law.

Its not always about law of the land, it can be as simply as management wanting to remind the masses who's the boss.

shamrock604

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:20 pm

According to media reports EI have approx 1250 cabin crew over 3 bases. 1100 in the striking union and 150 in the other union.
The ballot for industrial action was passed by 98%.

This just refers to the 3 striking bases of Dublin, Cork and Shannon - it doesnt count cabin crews based at Belfast, Gatwick and Heathrow.

Rufusisgod

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:36 pm

Well it's not going to get any better as 2 more strike days have been announced as talks break down between the union and EI.

eta unknown

Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:39 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 5):
Didn't BA try this a few years ago with their striking cabin crew? Were their benefits ever reinstated?

Yes- very shortly afterwards

airevents

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:32 am

As far as I know, flight benefits are something the company offers to their employees on a voluntary basis, although of course after enjoying this benefit for a few years, you have some sort of feeling of entitlement. I guess if the airline decides to take this benefit away from employees, not much can be done?

flyingthe757

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:44 am

The ballot for industrial action was passed by 98%

How many actually voted. It's all well and good saying 98% voted for strike action, but what number actually voted of the crew population.

par13del

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:57 am

Quoting flyingthe757 (Reply 16):
How many actually voted. It's all well and good saying 98% voted for strike action, but what number actually voted of the crew population.

Is there a condition in the union / management agreement that state a level of participation for a vote to be legally binding?
If no such condition exist, then legally 98% of 10 is the same as 98% of 1,000. The law is the law it applies equally to both sides.

peterinlisbon

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:32 pm

If I was working for an airline that did this, I would just quit. The job doesn't pay enough to make it worthwhile without any benefits.

undertheradar

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:22 am

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 18):

Are things that dire in Portugal?? I 'survived' quite well all through my 23yrs employment, (23-46years of age) as a F/A in Aust ...I think I used my 'flight benefits' about 4 times over those 23 yrs, and continue to live very comfortably  

speaking from my personal experience

Tango-Bravo

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:47 am

Quoting flyingthe757 (Reply 16):

For the sake of argument let's assume (whether true or false) that the number of members who actually voted was very low... Wouldn't that also suggest that there were very few members who may have been opposed to striking who felt strongly enough about the issue to take the time and effort to vote? Can't see how lack of participation (whether true or false) in the vote can, in any way, be interpreted to mean that there were far fewer members in favor of the strike than the overwhelming margin voting in favor of striking suggests.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos