Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

guyanam

RE: Summertime - Caribbean Aviation Thread 110

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:51 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 98):

I am not sure that Winair is running that route as on Amadeus I only see LI and Insel. Maybe Air Antlilles needs their planes to handle summer traffic for FDF and PTP. From what I saw in SXM French Antilleans are avid travelers during the summer.

Some of Insel's passengers are intransit from CUR so maybe there maybe need for this route. All LI is doing is landing their normal ANU SDQ via SXM. I don't know whether it will be permanent, though I know that they have tried it before.

Glad to see that BW flights are back. While the pilots may have a valid grouse they need to understand that BW is no longer a vital service, so passengers have other choices. There is absolutely no reason for a stunt like this to be pulled at one of the busiest travel periods of the year, especially at a time when many young kids are traveling. Ultimately they will suffer if passengers abandon BW.

[Edited 2014-07-02 11:10:58]

caribbean484

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 99):
Quoting guyanam (Reply 100):

Have to agree what a stupid thing to do and all they did was to look very bad at a time when people are paying high prices to enjoy some vacation time.
I understand that people would want what is due to them in their contract, but these pilots will get no sympathy from me and neither the traveling public on that illegal strike action yesterday.

So it caused all of the morning flights yesterday to be cancelled, hundreds of passengers stranded and the company lost money.
All ah we is one family

BW424
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:34 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 100):
Glad to see that BW flights are back. While the pilots may have a valid grouse they need to understand that BW is no longer a vital service, so passengers have other choices. There is absolutely no reason for a stunt like this to be pulled at one of the busiest travel periods of the year, especially at a time when many young kids are traveling. Ultimately they will suffer if passengers abandon BW.
Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 101):
Have to agree what a stupid thing to do and all they did was to look very bad at a time when people are paying high prices to enjoy some vacation time.
I understand that people would want what is due to them in their contract, but these pilots will get no sympathy from me and neither the traveling public on that illegal strike action yesterday.

I agree with you guys 100%. It was done in very bad taste. There were surely more diplomatic solutions that could have been exhausted before such action was undertaken. These actions by these 20 odd individuals imply to every one that they enjoy a certain degree of indispensability. That certainly needs to be addressed because in this business, the customer pays all the bills for their essentials and luxuries. In actuality, what they did was illegal as the profession is listed as an essential service in POS; and from what I'm privy to, there fellow colleagues from customer service rep., to maintenance to FAs are also not impressed.
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

A388

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Guys,

Does Caribbean Airlines pay the type rating costs for pilots being able to transition from the ATR to the 737-800 or do the pilots have to pay that themselves? What are the conditions for ATR pilots to start flying on their 737-800's?

A388

BW424
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 103):
Guys,

Does Caribbean Airlines pay the type rating costs for pilots being able to transition from the ATR to the 737-800 or do the pilots have to pay that themselves? What are the conditions for ATR pilots to start flying on their 737-800's?

A388

Inbound is the best person to answer this question, however, I'll give it a stab. From what I remember, BW is still pretty old school. They pay for the type ratings whether you're now being hired as an ATR FO or transitioning to the B738. What they have implemented for a while now is a bonding system. They pay the costs upfront for you to get the type-rating, but you're on a 2-3 yr bond till you pay off those costs. The only training costs that the pilot himself must take up while in the airline is obtaining is ATPL ticket. Still pretty great if you ask me. Worldwide, you have airlines asking for entering pilots to foot TR costs upfront for a job that pays rather mediocre for a very long while.

As for conditions for ATR pilots to upgrade to the B738s; it's all need based from what I know. Back in the good 'ole Saunders and Brunton days when they were adding 9Y-SLU and 9Y-PBM, there were guys who were not even with the company for 1 year and upgrading to the 738 as the need was great to crew that fleet. So technically, you literally had new hires flying the "flagship" jet of BW at that time. Things now have since slowed for upgrade times from what I know.

Like I said, Inbound is the best person to answer your concerns, but I'm confident that the preceding info is reasonably accurate.

A388

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 104):
Like I said, Inbound is the best person to answer your concerns, but I'm confident that the preceding info is reasonably accurate.

Great, thanks my friend. Now where is Inbound... 

A388

A388

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Guys,

See my latest photos added to the database here:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter - Curacao Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Cheers,

A388

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 106):

Awesome to see that you flew on the 787! How was the experience?

In other news, I don't know if we've been kept abreast of the Dynamic Airways situation, but it seems they aren't doing too well after their fairly successful marketing blitz. For the past few weeks, the airline has had to land in Connecticut and then bus their pax to JFK. Same with outgoing pax. They're ferried out of JFK by bus to Connecticut. Apparently, they cannot secure slots at JFK.

The following was posted by Capt. Gerry Gouveia on facebook, founder and CEO of Guyanese operator Roraima Airways. Roraima is the handling agent for Dynamic Airways.

"Due to operational difficulties with securing time slots at JFK airport for the month of July, we are announcing temporary suspension of JFK – GEO service until August 8th 2014.
Dynamic Airways will operate flights on July 8th , July 11th and July 15th and transport passengers which already started their travel. We are currently protecting all passengers which started their travel and are impacted by this temporary suspension. All passengers traveling in period July 17th – August 8th will receive full refund plus compensatory voucher for future purchase on Dynamic Airways network. All passengers will be contacted by Dynamic Airways directly or by their respective travel agents.
This temporary suspension will allow us to secure time slots at JFK airport, organize better ground handling and check in process as well as secure schedule integrity which Dynamic Airways is well known for.
All flights starting from August 8th are not impacted by this change and will be operated as displayed on our website, and in our reservation system.
We are very sorry for the inconvenience this change might have caused and thank you for your patience while we are processing refund requests and protecting our passengers impacted by this temporary suspension."

A388

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 107):
Quoting A388 (Reply 106):

Awesome to see that you flew on the 787! How was the experience?

Thanks my friend. The 787 flies fantastically and the coolest part to me were the window dimming feature. Just awesome. Even so I do think that you need to fly on the 787 on a long haul flight to really experience and feel the aircraft's performance. I experienced it for only 25 minutes or so.

A388

yellowtail

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 108):
Thanks my friend. The 787 flies fantastically and the coolest part to me were the window dimming feature. Just awesome. Even so I do think that you need to fly on the 787 on a long haul flight to really experience and feel the aircraft's performance. I experienced it for only 25 minutes or so.

I couldn't believe how crystal clear the PA annoucments sounded and the aircraft noises (flaps etc) definitely sounds different
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

A388

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 109):
I couldn't believe how crystal clear the PA annoucments sounded and the aircraft noises (flaps etc) definitely sounds different

The PA announcements in my case weren't any different compared to the A320, 744 and 77W I have flown. The aircraft noise was just slightly better than the 77W I have flown but I guess this depends where you are sitting in the aircraft.

A388

2travel2know2

Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:11 pm

So CM started GEO yestrday
Here are 3 news pieces, one from Guyana and 2 from Panama (in Spanish)
CM makes inaugural flight to Guyana
CM opens new destinations
CM starts flights to FLL and GEO
Please notice that CM made the point to honour late Cap. Persaud at the inaugural flight ceremonies in PTY and GEO. He was a Guyanese who trained many of CM pilots.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:45 pm

I read in a local newspaper last week that Copa Airlines also increased frequencies to Aruba from 7 times a week to 11 times a week, probably a temporary summer related increase?

A388

2travel2know2

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 112):
I read in a local newspaper last week that Copa Airlines also increased frequencies to Aruba from 7 times a week to 11 times a week, probably a temporary summer related increase?

I've not heard anything,
But is CM going add that capacity by flying PTY-AUA evenings and AUA-PTY mornings?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:07 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 113):
I've not heard anything,
But is CM going add that capacity by flying PTY-AUA evenings and AUA-PTY mornings?

I don't know my friend. I read this in the newspaper so I don't know more unfortunately.

A388

BW424
Topic Author

Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:06 am

Sorry for not posting this sooner.

"Howai: $100m loss for CAL"

"State carrier Caribbean Airlines (CAL) is projecting a loss of just under $100 million for its financial year 2013, Finance Minister Larry Howai has said.
“CAL has had some struggles getting its accounts done, they should be able to bring them up in a couple of months. It hasn’t been very good news but they have narrowed the loss down,” he said.
Howai was speaking with reporters on Tuesday night after he delivered remarks at financial group RBC’s “Cocktails with Clients” event at the Hyatt Regency (Trinidad) hotel in Port of Spain.
“We are hopeful we can bring (CAL’s loss) down to less than $100 million,” Howai responded to a question from the Express. “The airline has a new CEO (Michael Dilollo who was appointed in May), there is some new management coming in and my next move is to strengthen the board (of directors).”
CAL’s board is chaired by former independent senator Philip Marshall.
Howai said he hoped the national airline could make a “full turnaround”.
He maintained that the airline industry worldwide was not an easy one."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/busin...i-100m-loss-for-CAL-266528201.html

Still not all good news, but very encouraging news. Losses went from $US84M in 2012 to just about $US16M in 2013. BW still has a loooonng way to go, but, some very promising signs nonetheless. I heard there is still a lot of politicking over the LGW route....sigh....let's see how things will turn out.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 111):
So CM started GEO yestrday

Good to hear. We know when CM starts a route, they're in it for the longhaul. I thought it was going to be an E90 service? I see they used the B73G.

Quoting A388 (Reply 108):
Thanks my friend. The 787 flies fantastically and the coolest part to me were the window dimming feature. Just awesome.

Thanks a lot for the short analysis!

A388

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Do any of you know if Caribbean Airlines takes expats or needs pilots at the moment? I still haven't heard from Inbound so I'm still waiting patiently 

A388

Inbound

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:56 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 116):
Do any of you know if Caribbean Airlines takes expats or needs pilots at the moment? I still haven't heard from Inbound so I'm still waiting patiently

A388

Hey Roger,
I may have missed your question...
Maintain own separation with terrain!

A388

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:03 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 103):
Guys,

A388

Hey Inbound how are things going. The above text was my first question after my other post came which you quoted. Can you tell me more?

Cheers,

A388

Inbound

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:48 am

Hey man, all's well for the time being!

As far as I know, BW absorbs the costs of the ratings. However, the pilot is "bonded" for a minimum time of 2 years in fairness of that expense. The pilot can be shifted, upgraded etc. internally within that 2 year period, but will have to reimburse the airline if he chooses to resign prior.
During times of expansion/fleet transitions, contract 737 pilots with ratings are hired temporarily.

With regards to movement from ATR to 737, it begins with seniority and is filtered a bit by recent simulator grades etc.
Hiring however, has been put on hold until the route/fleet rationalization report is complete.

Hope that answers your questions...
Maintain own separation with terrain!

2travel2know2

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Seems a drive-by-shooting took place in CUR leaving 2 dead and some wounded.
Any details? Were CUR operations interrupted?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 120):
Seems a drive-by-shooting took place in CUR leaving 2 dead and some wounded.
Any details? Were CUR operations interrupted?

Yes, it was a very unfortunate event which left 2 dead and 6 wounded. The shooting was gang related and an action plan to prevent this from happening again is being worked on as we speak.

A388

817Dreamliiner

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

BW424
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:02 am

"Insel Air pleased with performance on Guyana market"

Just one month after it launched its operations into the Guyana market, officials at Curacao’s Insel Air are pleased with the new route and the interest that has been generated in its service.

http://newssourcegy.com/news/insel-a...pleased-performance-guyana-market/

A388

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 122):
Liat's latest ATR (ATR 42-600 V2-LIK) arrived at ANU today. A local spotter got a video of the flypast:

http://youtu.be/_QkxCnDB-H8

Coincidentally I'm in ANU as well at the moment and did some spotting myself, its not much though:

British Airways Boeing 777-200ER G-YMMR landing in Antigua V C Bird International Airport from Punta Cana.

Virgin Atlantic Airbus A330-300 G-VGBR landing in Antigua V C Bird International Airport from London Gatwick.

British Airways Boeing 777-200ER G-VIIW landing in Antigua V C Bird International Airport from London Gatwick.

Nice videos my friend. Keep them coming!!!

In other news, we will be getting another round of 787-9 test flights this month  

A388

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 124):

Nice videos my friend. Keep them coming!!

Thanks. I'll try to get some more during the week if I can.

Quoting A388 (Reply 124):

In other news, we will be getting another round of 787-9 test flights this month

That's great. I'm assuming you'll be getting ZB167 (United 787-9)? If not, Its probably ZB021 which is listed to go to JAL. Sigh.. if only they could show up this week here in ANU.
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

A388

Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 125):
Thanks. I'll try to get some more during the week if I can.

Great, can you provide the link to your photos on flickr?

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 125):
That's great. I'm assuming you'll be getting ZB167 (United 787-9)?

That is correct.

A388

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 126):
Great, can you provide the link to your photos on flickr?

Here you go:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/817dreamliiner/

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Hmmm no posts for 6 days, not much going on these days?

Anyways im back from my short trip to ANU. This photo will probably give you an idea of why I was there . Hope you guys like it. Couldn't get much more than this:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3884/14764257743_1de058f92f_b.jpgLiat Dash 8-300 V2-LEU by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

2travel2know2

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 128):

Something happening between Venezuela and Aruba re: flights between those countries, other than that, nothing really.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 129):
Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 128):

Something happening between Venezuela and Aruba re: flights between those countries, other than that, nothing really.

Things already have turned back to normal so all flights are operating again. And yes, I agree our Caribbean threads seem to weaken lately. I hope it doesn't die out just as how the Colombian aviation threads died out (pretty quickly I must say).

A388

trintocan

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:18 pm

Well, the latest news on Caribbean aviation I can find is that the Chief Secretary of the Tobago House of Assembly, Mr Orville London, has spoken out about the current air-bridge arrangements between POS and TAB and feels that there should be a dedicated carrier for the route. Once again we are back to this whole debate.

In my view this route is fundamental to the effective functioning of the Republic of Trinidad & Tobago and thus has an importance over and above any other air route to the nation. This means that Government subsidies will always be required - any attempt to charge market rates for this short hop would prove inimical. With that in mind, though, I think that Caribbean Airlines have improved things a lot on this route of late.

BW have increased daily flights on the air-bridge to a minimum of 20, mostly with the ATRs with 737s called in on occasion. They have early morning flights (around 0545HR from POS) and very late flights (0045HR from POS and 0145HR from TAB) which means that passengers flying internationally from TAB via POS need not overnight in Trinidad in most instances - this was long a sore point in the days when air-bridge flights ended at around 2100HR, just the time that many international flights into POS arrived. Admittedly bookings are still very heavy especially on weekends and peak periods such as Easter but overall I think things are starting to improve. Additionally, with BW one can check-in directly for international flights to BGI, SLU, MIA etc thus tying TAB into the wider network. Would there be any significant advantage to delinking TAB with a separate domestic carrier? I do not think so.

Any thoughts?

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

guyanam

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:03 am

Quoting trintocan (Reply 131):

There seems to be issues at the peak periods like the Tobago Jazz festival when all the flights were booked.

Other than that it is apparently the normal operational issues connected to BW. They seem to have lousy ground services, lost baggage handling, and they don't answer the phone.

But then what's new in the Caribbean where the customer is often seen as little better than a beggar.

caribbean484

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:24 am

Quoting trintocan (Reply 131):

Someone on a CAL fb page noted that CAL flies 1500 seats per day between POS-TAB and that was a 30% increase from the Dash8 days.

The route has been significantly improved service and seat wise when CAL absorbed Tobago Express and Brunton bought the ATR. The new CEO does not want to send the 737 since it is a burden on resources of the jet aircraft. The midnight flight goes out at 50% loads unless its a long weekend or holidays and there are room for pax during the day with the early morning flights.

So I am not sure what else is needed for this route as I believe that the THA has always made these claims that CAL is not servicing the route properly.

POS-TAB is the only route that CAL get the fuel subsidy, and TT$200 for every ticket sold, so the route is highly subsidized but the benefits far outweighed the subsidies. The route sees according to the THA 1,002,000 pax last year and those people spend a lot of money staying in hotel and guess houses.
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:30 am

Air Canada running direct from Montreal to Curacao
Fri, Jul 25th, 2014

TORONTO, WILLEMSTAD

Air Canada will be the first airline to offer direct routes from Montreal to Curacao when it starts its new non-stop service on Jan. 1. In addition, “Air Canada rouge” is extending its seasonal flights from Toronto to Curacao to year-round service.

Within the past year, airline officials said, the southern Caribbean island of Curacao (part of the ABC islands that includes Aruba and Bonaire) saw record growth from Canada with a 56-percent visitor increase in April. The Montreal-Curacao route will run weekly, leaving on Thursday from Montreal at 9 a.m. and returning at 4:35 p.m.

The Air Canada rouge service from Toronto to Curacao, returning Nov. 7, will run year round, flying every Friday morning and returning in the afternoon.
http://curacaochronicle.com/aviation...g-direct-from-montreal-to-curacao/

InselAir introduces 2 weekly flights from Aruba to Paramaribo
Non-stop service from Aruba to Paramaribo on Mondays and Fridays
Wed, Jul 23rd, 2014

WILLEMSTAD, ORANJESTAD

InselAir will start operating 2 weekly direct flights from Aruba to Paramaribo (Johan Adolf Pengel International Airport) as of August 18, 2014. This new route will offer passengers from Aruba quick and easy access to the capital of Surinam on Mondays and Fridays. Those who desire to travel on another day have the option to travel to Paramaribo via Curacao on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Tickets can be purchased at any InselAir ticket office, at local travel agents and online via fly-inselair.com.

Future destinations

InselAir expects to further expand its route network out of Aruba with La Romana (Dominican Republic), San Juan (Puerto Rico), Havana (Cuba), Manaus (Brazil), Quito (Ecuador), Cali and Bucaramanga (Colombia) in the near future. More information about these destinations and timetables will be communicated in the media and on fly-inselair.com shortly.

Introduction fares
http://curacaochronicle.com/aviation...-flights-from-aruba-to-paramaribo/
All ah we is one family

2travel2know2

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:42 am

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 134):
InselAir expects to further expand its route network out of Aruba with La Romana (Dominican Republic), San Juan (Puerto Rico), Havana (Cuba), Manaus (Brazil), Quito (Ecuador), Cali and Bucaramanga (Colombia) in the near future. More information about these destinations and timetables will be communicated in the media and on fly-inselair.com shortly.

Interesting developments @ 8I and 7I.
Perhaps LIM and VVI too could be good markets for 8I (aircraft range permitted).
Not sure why La Romana LRM from AUA, as SDQ or even STI or PUJ may make more sense.
Who's currently flying AUA-TPA/MCO or CUR-BGI non-stop?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

caribbean484

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:43 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 132):

That is not true, the THA has time and time again for years been making this an issue and the statistics never supports them in their calls. Baggage lost on the TAB route is almost non existent and the customer service on the route has improved greatly since CAL took over the route.
What is happening is that the CEO has made it clear that he is not sending any 737 to TAB because as he saw it the route has enough capacity for the demand.

Quote:

Caribbean Airlines Reportedly Refuses To Add Flights To Service Tobago
July 22, 2014

The Tobago Hoteliers and Tourism Association is reporting that national carrier Caribbean Airlines has indicated it will not be introducing additional flights on the air bridge between Trinidad and Tobago during July and August.

Tourism officials say during this period there is an increase in both domestic and international visitors to the sister isle.

Tobago Hoteliers and Tourism Association Vice President, Carol Ann Birchwood James, in a News Power Now interview explained that the forecast is encouraging for arrivals.

She however added that there is need for both air and sea transportation to be reliable.
http://news.power102fm.com/?p=22344

Quote:

[Editorial] What’s your solution, Mr London?
Jul 27, 2014

THA Chief Secretary Orville London must have sought last week to secure opinion leadership on the critical question of air transport between Tobago and Trinidad. The airbridge assures efficient passage between the islands for business and pleasure, and it is centrally important for facilitating tourism, given the reality that most visitors come from Trinidad.

Mr London certainly succeeded in making headlines and raising eyebrows when he called for a separate airline to provide the vital airbridge service. On both islands, those hearing and reading his call must have done a double take: what could the Chief Secretary have in mind this time?

The public both in Tobago and Trinidad are owed an explanation of how his call for a separate airline between the islands amounts to more than just wishful thinking. Mr London voiced his “strong recommendation” for an outfit other than State-owned Caribbean Airlines to fly the airbridge.

He failed, however, to make any suggestions about how such an enterprise could be brought into being. Or, indeed, brought back into being, for a separate airline dedicated to Trinidad-Tobago flying sounds like an idea whose time has passed.

Unhappy bankruptcy-related memories remain of previous airbridge efforts by the defunct Arawak and Air Caribbean carriers, to name just two. Moreover, the later abandonment of the airbridge route as uneconomical by regional carrier, Liat, should caution against repetition of proven costly mistakes.

To be taken seriously in 2014, Mr London must do better than talk airily about “a separate airline running the bridge between Trinidad and Tobago, where we could deal with all the nuances”. He is still to make clear how such “nuances” are seen from the THA offices in Scarborough, and exactly whom he means by “we”.

In short, Mr London should clarify whether he is proposing a separate airline to be run by the THA, taking care of “nuances” not shared by the T&T government. For both Trinidad-Tobago bridges—air and sea—are sustained only on the basis of heavy subsidy from the T&T Treasury.

If he knows of a superior option, the THA Chief Secretary should simply pursue it, maybe by attracting private investors from T&T and elsewhere. Implementation of his bright idea must also somehow keep airfares down, without requiring subsidy from the Port of Spain Twin Towers.

So far, at least some T&T business people are expressing doubts about the potential viability of the new London proposal. Meanwhile, Caribbean Airlines, like BWIA before it, remains the option of first and last resort to ensure adequate air service between the T&T sister islands. If Mr London has a better than half-baked notion of a fighting chance for a separate airline, he should hasten to make it clear
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/comme...-solution-Mr-London-268824991.html
All ah we is one family

trintocan

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:08 pm

I did not know that BW had stopped using the 737 on the domestic sector but this is a recent development. It is eminently sensible, though, as using the jets on that short hop only runs up their cycles and can potentially disrupt their wider schedules. This is particularly important during the peak summer season. As for lost luggage on the domestic route - that is something I have never heard of over the many years I have flown and / or known people flying the route. Delayed luggage very occasionally in the past, yes but never lost.

Good news for AUA and CUR with new air services. It is surprising to hear of the decline of the Colombian thread, at a time when Colombian aviation is flying high with many new routes opening up.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

caribbean484

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 135):

No airline that I know of, the only way to get to CUR from BGI is to take CAL into POS and then LI or go to MIA-CUR.

Quoting trintocan (Reply 137):

Yes it was a policy recently instituted by the new management.

Quoting trintocan (Reply 137):
Good news for AUA and CUR with new air services. It is surprising to hear of the decline of the Colombian thread, at a time when Colombian aviation is flying high with many new routes opening up.

Me too, really sad. It is kind of quite these day in the Caribbean these days so I guess the thread is slow lately lol
All ah we is one family

guyanam

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 136):

No airline can maintain capacity to guarantee that every one gets a seat at spikes like a Jazz festival, and diverting jets to TAB, as they did earlier this year, dumping passengers headed to JFK , GEO etc didn't make sense, even if Kamla saw political gain.

Go to BWs FB page and the #1 complaint is baggage handling. #2 is that nobody answers the phone. It doesn't matter that the number of bags lost/delayed/damaged is limited if one is the person who has to suffer that ordeal and then not have any one answer the phone. BW has one of the strictest cabin bags policies and so must deliver checked luggage, and have proper procedures to deal with problems when they arise. It shouldn't be the passenger calling and calling and calling, as some messages on FB indicate. And it got so bad that BW no longer encourages FB comments.

I also do not know why BW doesn't appear to have anybody in JFK, which must be their 2nd most important market after POS. When problems arise people are left in the hands of lowly personnel with their contractors, who don't care the slightest.
B6 is now a very aggressive competitor, and the fact that BW is having sales in August means that they must be drawing blood. BW is either under staffed or inefficient because the complaint about them not answering their phones, or handling complaints isn't new.

A388

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 138):
Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 135):

No airline that I know of, the only way to get to CUR from BGI is to take CAL into POS and then LI or go to MIA-CUR.

The LI flights originates from BGI so you can take LI all the way to CUR with the stop in POS where don't have to disembark.

7I does charter flights to MCO as well but I think those are packages in cooperation with local tour operators on the island. This is done mostly in the summer vacation. I'm not aware of TPA flights but don't think we have them. Otherwise AA is the best way to go to TPA I think.

A388

guyanam

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 140):

The LI flight actually goes ANU SLU POS CUR. Passengers can connect over POS with LI out of BGI.

2travel2know2

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:33 pm

7I does charter flights to MCO as well but I think those are packages in cooperation with local tour operators on the island. This is done mostly in the summer vacation. I'm not aware of TPA flights but don't think we have them. Otherwise AA is the best way to go to TPA I think.

Having a U.S. Port-of-Entry at AUA gives the island originating passenger an edge.
Why should a pax flying between AUA and TPA fly CM via PTY when he/she could arrive domestic if connecting in a U.S. airport?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:22 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 141):

The LI flight actually goes ANU SLU POS CUR. Passengers can connect over POS with LI out of BGI.

Okay thanks, than it changed because I remember the flights used to come from BGI before continuing to CUR.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 142):

Having a U.S. Port-of-Entry at AUA gives the island originating passenger an edge.
Why should a pax flying between AUA and TPA fly CM via PTY when he/she could arrive domestic if connecting in a U.S. airport?

True for AUA. For us here in CUR it might be more attractive to just fly via a city in the U.S. (in this case via MIA).

A388

guyanam

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:17 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 143):

I suspect that most of the LI passengers to CUR originate in POS. SXM has become the shopping destination of choice for most in the E/Caribbean. Maybe because it is smaller, and so easier to handle, and being almost 100% English speaking (Dutch side) doesn't hurt either. Trinis have being going to CUR for a long time.

817Dreamliiner

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:26 pm

There are two United Express Embraer 175s flying into ANU as I type this. Both seem to be inbound from MAO on delivery.

817Dreamliiner

Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:14 pm

A388

Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 146):
Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 145):

Both are now on their way to FLL:

http://www.flightradar24.com/N93305

http://www.flightradar24.com/N87306

Thanks for the tip 817Dreamliiner. I wonder why they chose ANU this time as they usually always stop in BGI(?)

A388

A388

Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:44 pm

It is finally official, JetBlue will be starting direct flights from New York JFK to Curacao beginning this December 2nd. Flights will be operated every Tuesday and Saturday. See the official press release here:

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix....l-newsArticle&ID=1952799&highlight

Do you want to visit Curacao, see introductory special packages being offered here:

http://www.jetblue.com/vacations/curacao-vacations/

Experience Curacao Blue, start with JetBlue  

A388

817Dreamliiner

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 147):
Thanks for the tip 817Dreamliiner. I wonder why they chose ANU this time as they usually always stop in BGI(?)

Its not the first time. One passed through ANU some time ago that was mentioned here. I did see some pass through SJU as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos