Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

prosa

RE: United Suspend MAN, BFS, DUB, And FCO

Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:23 am

I am surprised that FCO is such a seasonal destination. People go to Rome to visit all the historic sights, which isn't weather-dependent, and in any event winter weather in Rome is hardly unpleasant.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

MAH4546

Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:42 am

Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 48):

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 47):

you would've bet that MIA-NRT comes online earlier than IAH-SCL and would've lost the bet, so don't just look at raw demand figures as of today to judge a route's potential

LOL. I would never have made that bet. Serving SCL for United is more important strategically to its network than serving MIANRT for AA. All I said was that it isn't a huge market nor a "no brainer." I didn't say it would do poorly. The route will do fine. What's your obsession with MIANRT? Really odd.
a.

jetblue1965

Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:58 am

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 51):

It's your obsession not mine. And you just flip flopped by first claiming market is tiny with no business traffic, then do a 180 and now proclaim it's so strategically important to UA.

Meanwhile you hype MIA-NRT 's potential in every thread you can, and now claim you would've chosen IAH-SCL over that ?

it's funny because I'm Guessing you never heard the story of crying wolves.

quiet1

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:34 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 44):
Talk to the F/A union about that one...AFA has been the one holding up progress on a joint contract not UA.

What has AFA (not) done to hold up progress?

Eirules

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:04 pm

I think this has somewhat gone off the topic that the title states...
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

bennett123

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Prosa

I take your point about some parts of rome.

However, having visited the forum area in July I have some doubts.

I like the heat, but it was like a furnace.

Even Romans tend to leave the city at that time,

CALTECH

Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:55 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 36):
You are thinking too linear when it comes to fleet planning.

They are parking a few 752s after the summer season as they don't need all the capacity they have during the winter. No point hanging onto aircraft that will be replaced by capacity coming online early next year...the 752s are being replaced on a one for one basis.
Quoting United1 (Reply 38):
There are 26/27 739s being flown by sUA with another 13 coming online this year. As for the F/As I think we have discussed that before and it had something to do with UA not being able to get enough voluntarily furloughs. sUA is overstaffed while sCO was understaffed....

There are also a number of sUA F/As that switched to the sCO side of the house which is flying some of the 752 capacity that was replaced by 739s
Quoting United1 (Reply 44):
UA has had F/As on voluntary furloughs for years....they couldn't get enough to take them this time around or the union blocked it...I can't remember but net net has nothing to do with 752 retirement. BTW UA offered employment to EVERY single F/A who was involuntarily furloughed from sUA at sCO. Not whether they all took it who knows but if they didn't it was their personal choice.

http://www.unitedafa.org/news/details.aspx?id=8453

Talk to the F/A union about that one...AFA has been the one holding up progress on a joint contract not UA.
Quoting quiet1 (Reply 53):
What has AFA (not) done to hold up progress?

The 737s are going to replace the 757s one for one.

A disagreement between the company and union over work rules and contracts, and some internal union strife. It is still two seperate work groups and there is some infighting between the two. The legUAL side didn't want their furloughed Flight Attendants to work under CAL rules. Some of these links have some info on the issues.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...loughed-flight-attendants/4791807/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...flight-attendants-greg-davidowitch

[Edited 2014-06-14 07:59:13]
You are here.

tsnamm

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:11 pm

Quoting jfkgig (Reply 49):
Very disappointing that they apparently will not be adding EWR-GIG this year. Fares on this route were sky high all throughout the Northern Winter -- and quite high even after peak season ended. I would be curious to understand the business rationale for not participating in what is a very profitable oligopoly route for AA and TAM, with the potential advantage of being the only carrier to GIG from EWR.

UA also ended the GIG tag from IAD...UA 861 only goes to GRU now...

shamrock604

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Thread title here should be changed - UA are NOT suspending DUB (just one of it's routes to DUB).

CALMSP

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:58 pm

can we change the title of the thread? MAN/DUB will still be served by EWR through the winter months.

by738

Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:04 pm

Theres usually reductions for EDI and GLA with UA to EWR also in depths of Euro winter.

Looking at CAA stats for BFS - would suggest it is rarely full, albeit comparing averages for a given capacity

[Edited 2014-06-14 10:05:43]

MAH4546

Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 52):
It's your obsession not mine. And you just flip flopped by first claiming market is tiny with no business traffic, then do a 180 and now proclaim it's so strategically important to UA.

I didn't flip. I said it isn't a "no brainer" and spoke about the market's demographics. I didn't say it wouldn't make money - Santiago is the type of market that can usually produce decent margins.

It's your obsession not mine.

Nope. It's yours, you constantly bring it up. Including in this thread where it is irrelevant.

Meanwhile you hype MIA-NRT 's potential in every thread you can

I never bring up MIANRT. If somebody else brings it up, I'll insert my comments.
a.

jetblue1965

Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 63):

It's your Nostradamus comments about "market demographics" that heavily implies MIA-NRT is the no brainer. No one else has been a bigger cheerleader for that airport pair than you.

toxtethogrady

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:16 am

Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 14):
That's a very diplomatic way to say medium gamble, at the very least.

I think it says that unlike UA's short-term cut-oriented strategy, AMR isn't gambling at all. They expect it to pay off not immediately, but eventually.

United1

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:58 am

Quoting toxtethogrady (Reply 63):
Quoting Jetblue1965 (Reply 14):
That's a very diplomatic way to say medium gamble, at the very least.

I think it says that unlike UA's short-term cut-oriented strategy

UA doesn't seem to have a short term cut strategy at all...network planning is extremely conservative (almost to a fault) when it comes to changing the international network around.

UA and AA are extremely alike when it comes to that.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos