Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TCX69K

RE: BA Unveils New Short-haul Cabin Interior

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:45 am

Quote:
They mention first aircraft being refitted this week. Does anyone know reg of first aircraft in for refit and where- Preswick, other?

G-EUYO will be the first, at LHR. It already has moodlighting installed.

G-EUYP-X will be the next to be done and I believe G-EUYY will be delivered with the new cabin.

The cabin refurbishments will be done at LHR, LGW & GLA.

bluesky73

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Quoting HUYfan (Reply 49):
I really think people should try the new cabin before assuming it will be hideous.

Yep agreed, and already mentioned I need to fly in the seats for two hours to get true assessment. Being one of the taller guys I am concerned pitch reduction from 34 to 30 and even though I don't use CE (but front 13 rows on an A320) I am concerned BA may have made an error up front in CE even by couple of inches.
Proof will be in pudding and no doubt BA has done mass of research and weighed up pros/cons etc.

Quoting tcx69k (Reply 50):

G-EUYO will be the first, at LHR. It already has moodlighting installed.

G-EUYP-X will be the next to be done and I believe G-EUYY will be delivered with the new cabin.

The cabin refurbishments will be done at LHR, LGW & GLA.

Thanks for info tcx69k, surprised they starting with newbies first but if they already have mood lighting then half way there. Where will the brand new seats currently on G-EUYO-X go?
So we could see three aircraft refitted simultaneously to get the refitting rolled out within a year?

Captaindoony

Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Quoting bluesky73 (Reply 51):
Where will the brand new seats currently on G-EUYO-X go?

I think the seats that are to be used are indeed the Pinnacle Seats (or slightly modified) found on G-EUYO onwards so presumably they will just be refitted in the new cushions.

aidoair

Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:58 pm

Quoting bluesky73 (Reply 51):

Thanks for info tcx69k, surprised they starting with newbies first but if they already have mood lighting then half way there. Where will the brand new seats currently on G-EUYO-X go?
So we could see three aircraft refitted simultaneously to get the refitting rolled out within a year?

Quoting captaindoony (Reply 52):

I think the seats that are to be used are indeed the Pinnacle Seats (or slightly modified) found on G-EUYO onwards so presumably they will just be refitted in the new cushions.

captaindoony is correct. The current seats will be reupholstered. It is probably easier to begin with these newer airframes. Giving them time for the new seat sets to be delivered for full replacement on the older aircraft.

[Edited 2014-06-19 12:04:20]

Vasu

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:25 pm

These new seats look nice!

What's this tablet holder all about? Something universal that'll fit anything you bring onboard?

zkncj

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):

As Business Traveller reported last year (see news, December 2013), the slimline seats are manufactured by B/E Aerospace, indicating the likelihood that BA will reduce the seat pitch in Club Europe (business) from 34 to 30 inches, the same legroom as in economy.
Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 9):
Airbus A319 / A320 / A321
Club Europe 30" / 30" / 30"
Euro Traveller 29" / 30" / 30"

How are BA making there a320s so cramped? NZ fits 171 passengers in its Domestic A320 which fly sectors of 45m-2hrs yet still seem able to offer up to 35" pitch. http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/seat-map-airbus-a320-171d

e.g 1ABCDEF - 12ABCDEF is between 33"-35" and then 13ABCDEF to 19ABCDEF at 31" then 20ABCDEF to 28ABCDEF at 30".

Viscount724

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Quoting zkncj (Reply 55):
How are BA making there a320s so cramped? NZ fits 171 passengers in its Domestic A320 which fly sectors of 45m-2hrs yet still seem able to offer up to 35" pitch. http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/seat-map-airbus-a320-171d

e.g 1ABCDEF - 12ABCDEF is between 33"-35" and then 13ABCDEF to 19ABCDEF at 31" then 20ABCDEF to 28ABCDEF at 30".

Your NZ seat map shows only 2 lavatories. BA's A320s have 3, including 2 at the rear, and those 2 are in front of the rear doors, not behind, so that must account for about 2 rows of seats. I believe the forward galley area is also larger with a couple of storage compartments that take up the space of a row of seats.

tcxdegsy

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:12 pm

Disappointingly, I sent a Tweet to BA re the new CE Cabin pitch reduction, and heard not a jot back
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

MaverickM11

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:35 am

Quoting whiskeyhotel (Reply 37):
On Lufthansa, regional business class is particularly bad, considering the tight pitch and slimline seats. I've had the great displeasure of sampling their product from FRA and MUC.

I've been doing a lot of flying to/from Russia and honestly, the EU Y product is without a doubt, the worst I've ever experienced. Paper thin seats, no wifi, no power, no audio, no IFE (unless you're into weird cartoons or another [email protected] quebecois candid camera video--all silent)--but you get a sh!tty meal! Great 
I don't take responsibility at all

bluesky73

Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:19 am

The first BA A320 (G-EUYO) with reconfigured layout (CY168) is back in service.
It took approximately 10 days to carry out.

http://www.thebasource.com/british-a...-maintenance-in-new-configuration/

G-EUYX was apparently delivered yesterday in previous pinnacle 162 layout, be interested to see if this is reconfigured next before entering service or one of the other recently delivered A320s?

Be interesting to get feedback from folks who start getting flights on G-EUYO and any other A32x reconfigured in next month or so.

GSTBA

Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:59 am

Just been told G-EUYX has not entered service today. The aircraft is being fitted with the new cabin at LHR. The aircraft arrived yesterday with no seats fitted.

As someone mentioned earlier, the last 9 A320's delivered (G-EUYO/P/R/S/T/U/V/W & X) came with the new mood lighting fitted, they were also fitted with the new carpets , curtains, wall coverings etc. in fact all the need is the new seats. A job that will only take between 3 to 4days to complete. Meaning less downtime.. The other aircraft will need to be out of service 10 to 14 days.

October will see BA begin taking delivery of the leased A320's for LGW. The aircraft will be fitted with the new pinnacle cabin prior to enter service. I have heard however that the LGW aircraft are to be fitted with 174 seats. Anyone know if that's true?

[Edited 2014-07-04 04:31:16]

TCX69K

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:36 pm

Quote:
It took approximately 10 days to carry out.

The cabin refit actually only took 5 days. It was completed on 29th, but needed to be inspected/signed off.

Quote:
As someone mentioned earlier, the last 9 A320's delivered (G-EUYO/P/R/S/T/U/V/W & X) came with the new mood lighting fitted, they were also fitted with the new carpets , curtains, wall coverings etc. in fact all the need is the new seats. A job that will only take between 3 to 4days to complete. Meaning less downtime.. The other aircraft will need to be out of service 10 to 14 days.

None of the current A320s were delivered with mood lighting already fitted. G-EUYY will be the only one that is.
G-EUYO onwards were delivered with the current blue carpet/curtains etc, standard lighting and were fitted at LHR with Pinnacle seats.

These A/C will therefore need to have the new style cabins and mood lighting installed, just like the rest of the fleet.

G-EUYX will temporarily be fitted with 162 Pinnacle seats.

by738

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Quoting Tcx69k (Reply 61):
These A/C will therefore need to have the new style cabins and mood lighting installed, just like the rest of the fleet.

G-EUYX will temporarily be fitted with 162 Pinnacle seats.

Seems an odd arrangement. You would think it would have been more practical to have done at Airbus and delivered. Maybe the spec/config was pre selected and not able to be changed however

mysterzip

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 58):

See, I'm with you. It's great that BA offers a meal, but in the scope of things, IFE investment would make customers happy. Entertained passengers don't complain. This is what I'd call a "JetBlue effect." You might be delayed on the tarmac for two hours, but you're fine with it because you're entertained. Clowns are too expensive, so you install tv's, offer iPads. Whatever it takes. In my uneducated opinion, this would make money, especially if you charge for it.

That being said, anyone see/buy into United's IFE offering? Is it doing well?

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:18 pm

A review of the new cabin here with pics :

EXCLUSIVE REVIEW: British Airways A320 Club Europe

British Airways is in the process of fitting new seating across the majority of its short-haul A320 fleet.

The main difference is the reconfiguration of the seating so that both Euro Traveller (economy) and Club Europe (business class) have the same seat pitch of around 30 inches.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/tri...5/british-airways-a320-club-europe

bluesky73

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:44 pm

Great thanks for posting review OA260. Sounds positive but interested in a review of 2 hour flight in back.

Does anyone know next aircraft to have refit? Appears still only EUYO so far?

ClassicLover

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 64):
The main difference is the reconfiguration of the seating so that both Euro Traveller (economy) and Club Europe (business class) have the same seat pitch of around 30 inches.

I really hope they end up reversing this decision on the legroom in Club, though I suppose it's hard considering it's convertible configuration.

One reason I always like flying BA is that it seems spacious. A bit of a shame.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

by738

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 54):
What's this tablet holder all about? Something universal that'll fit anything you bring onboard?

Tablet holder I think is stretching the definition a bit. Someones just thought of it retrospectively. It has no special features and relies on whatever case and device you might have

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Quoting by738 (Reply 67):
Tablet holder I think is stretching the definition a bit. Someones just thought of it retrospectively. It has no special features and relies on whatever case and device you might have

Have to agree. I think Monarch is the only one that has come up with this specially designed and even theirs are subject to your device and case.

I flew back with TCX the other day and was able to use their seat back as a ''tablet holder''. I think many airlines could suggest it was suitable as such.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/B116100F-4DBE-4040-B9F4-D7BBE0757861_zpsljo0r5st.jpg

If you have an iPad or iPad mini for instance the smart case front cover flips over and slots in the seat back.

vv701

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:45 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 66):
I really hope they end up reversing this decision on the legroom in Club, though I suppose it's hard considering it's convertible configuration.

Unlikely. After all in terms of seat numbers BA are only brining the rest of their fleet into line with the eleven former BD 319s and six 320s that they first operated as long ago as April 2012. So they had plenty of experience of passenger reaction before making the decision to go this route. However from reports it seems that the new Pinnacle seat they are fitting is a better proposition for the passenger than the older BD seats.

global2

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:59 pm

Quoting mysterzip (Reply 19):

It seems as if they're replacing the current configuration with a similar one, according to the pictures. The 2x2 is a bit misleading. They're still using a three-seater, just don't use the middle seat, like in the current configuration. The seat overall seems to be better quality, but definitely lacks the quality of the likes of LH, much less its American counterparts.

The first time I flew on an intra-European flight in "Business Class" I thought the 2x2 coach seats with the middle seat blocked was quite strange, and disappointing. Why is this the norm in Europe whereas in the U.S. we have better seats (than in coach)? I'm sure many here will have plenty of critiques of U.S. airline service vs. European legacies, but I just never understood the choice of seats.

FlyCaledonian

Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Quoting Global2 (Reply 70):
The first time I flew on an intra-European flight in "Business Class" I thought the 2x2 coach seats with the middle seat blocked was quite strange, and disappointing. Why is this the norm in Europe whereas in the U.S. we have better seats (than in coach)? I'm sure many here will have plenty of critiques of U.S. airline service vs. European legacies, but I just never understood the choice of seats.

Flexibility of layout. In the US and Canada the domestic First Cabin is fixed in size. Sell all the seats great. Don't sell them and your elites want upgrades. Too much demand? Tough luck.

In Europe, the trend in the 1980s was for flexible cabins with converter seats. So in the case of a narrowbody it was more pitch up front and the seats could be converted to (usually) a 2+3 layout, with seat 'B' being squashed as the seat frames were cranked together on the ABC side, whilst they were cranked apart on the DEF side to give greater width.

For an Airline BA the attraction was this (based on their Summer 1987 timetable): -

Lockheed TriStar 1
Could seat 325 in an all economy layout, but rows 1-24 were the converter seats so if all in use the seating capacity was 163 Club (2-3-2) and 146 economy.

Boeing 757-236
Could seat 195 in the all economy 'Shuttle' layout, or 189 in an all economy layout where rows 1-34 could be converted to Club. This meant a theoretical 158 Club 0 Economy layout was possible, but also any combination inbetween.

So whilst the seat might not be anything like a domestic First seat in North America for the European carriers they had huge fleet flexibility. An inbound flight from say Frankfurt on a Friday evening might have been a TriStar with the maximum amount of Club seats on sale; on Saturday morning that same TriStar flies out to Spain in an all economy layout.

I'm sure others will be able to tell of the flights in the 1980's and 1990's that would operate with that maximum Club cabin full of passengers paying Club fares. Now the demand is just not there and the numbe of rows of converter seats has gotten smaller. For example,. I'm sure on the 767-336ER fleet, Club Converter seats used to stretch down to door 3. After their last refurbishment they are only between doors 1 and 2.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

MaverickM11

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:03 pm

I'm sure many here will have plenty of critiques of U.S. airline service vs. European legacies, but I just never understood the choice of seats.

I for one think that ship has sailed. US carriers are just as good, if not better than EU carriers, and the all high-density Y regional nonsense with zero IFE/wifi/powerports is one big reason for me. I've done a lot of longish-320 flights on on EU carriers lately and I would trade a crap meal and silent Canadian gag reel on the drop downs for wifi and a powerport, never mind true F.
I don't take responsibility at all

B747-4U3

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 71):

Flexibility of layout. In the US and Canada the domestic First Cabin is fixed in size. Sell all the seats great. Don't sell them and your elites want upgrades. Too much demand? Tough luck.

As an example of flexibility:

I have flow on a British Airways A320 that was configured for 44 Club Europe seats (if I remember correctly it was 11 rows - might have even been 12 which would have given 48 seats), and then flown another flights configured for 12 (four rows of four).

Many flights around Europe have highly varying premium numbers based on the route and the time of the week. Having a flexible configuration helps to meet the varying demands of the European network.

Also, given that - at least in British Airways' case - the majority of their European flights are 2hr30 or less, they have probably decided that the convertible product is adequate as a premium offer given the relatively short flight time. Club Europe is about much more than just the seat. The lounge is a nice perk. Add in, separate boarding lines, fast-track security and immigration at certain locations and the product becomes more desirable.

That said, whether the new seat proves to be adequate for a premium offer is open to debate. I'm sure on a quick hop to Amsterdam it will be suitable. Whether it will remain so on a flight to Istanbul remains to be seen.

Eljonno

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 68):
Have to agree. I think Monarch is the only one that has come up with this specially designed and even theirs are subject to your device and case.
QF have them on their domestic 767 and 717 flights (i.e. where PTV devices are not provided).
Each seat has an iPad and inflight entertainment is provided by Q Streaming.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...eless-inflight-entertainment/au/en

[Edited 2014-07-13 15:09:59]

[Edited 2014-07-13 15:10:48]

tcxdegsy

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 pm

Interesting comment on the IAG Press Release about new aircraft options being confirmed, which probably sheds more light on the reason for the seat pitch change in Club Europe.....the last 2 sentences are key

"International Airlines Group (IAG) has converted 20 of the 100 Airbus 320neo options it announced in August 2013 into firm orders.

These aircraft will be delivered in 2018 and 2019 and will provide both cost savings and environmental benefits. New technology and improved aerodynamics will lower fuel burn and CO2 emissions by 15 per cent, as well as providing both noise and NOx performance advantages.

Last year IAG announced that, as part of a Vueling order for up to 120 Airbus A320 family aircraft, it had also secured 100 A320neo options. The remaining options can be used for any of the airlines in the Group - British Airways, Iberia or Vueling - for aircraft replacement requirements. These aircraft are currently intended to replace 21 shorthaul British Airways' aircraft but will be reallocated if the airline cannot make a profitable return from its shorthaul business."
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

runway23

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Quoting tcxdegsy (Reply 75):
These aircraft are currently intended to replace 21 shorthaul British Airways' aircraft but will be reallocated if the airline cannot make a profitable return from its shorthaul business

An indication that BA @ LGW may be Vuelingised if they don't offer sufficient profitability ?

tonystan

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Quoting runway23 (Reply 76):

I think you will find it has more to do with the "making shorthaul profitable" campaign at LHR effecting the Eurofleet crew base. Discussions with the union have been taking place the last number of months with agreements to be made by October I believe.

Apparently they have LGW where they want it.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

jumpjets

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:00 am

I flew DY HEL-LGW yesterday and the published legroom for their 738s is 29" - so less than BA. They also have the slimline seats with the 'magazine' pocket at the top of the seat and it was surprisingly comfortable for a 3 hr flight and I am no small guy - 6'2/16st[100kg]. If the BA seats are similar and legroom fractionally more then BA Y should still be reasonably comfortable but I expect the club Europe crowd are going to miss their extra 4 inches.

Bongodog1964

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 77):
I think you will find it has more to do with the "making shorthaul profitable" campaign at LHR effecting the Eurofleet crew base. Discussions with the union have been taking place the last number of months with agreements to be made by October I believe.

Does this mean that it is deemed that the savings from mixed fleet will take too long to filter through ? Does anyone know what % of cabin crew are now mixed fleet ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos