cedarjet
Topic Author

Aviation-themed Animated Movie "The Wind Rises"

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Saw this at the cinema the other day, didn't even know what it was about but am a fan of the Japanese animation production company Studio Ghibli and writer / director Hayao Miyazaki (this is his last film).

Turns out to be a somewhat-fictionalised biopic of Japanese aerospace engineer Jiro Horikoshi, most famous for creating the Mitsubishi A6M Zero. It follows him from childhood, when he idolises Italian aviation pioneer Count "Gianni" Caproni after reading about him in an English magazine, and the film follows Horikoshi's life as he studies, falls in love, and designs fighter planes.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic, even for anyone with little or no interest in aviation (it was the highest grossing film in Japan last year), but for an avgeek it is uniquely satisfying. Sure makes "Planes" look crap (which it truly was). I hope you get a chance to see it (there is a subtitled version in the original Japanese, and a dubbed version in English by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt, John Krasinski, William H Macy et al) . Meanwhile here is a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtdgdGOB6Q
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

ardian

RE: Aviation-themed Animated Movie "The Wind Rises"

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Indeed it's a breathtaking movie. It's sad that it's Hayao Miyazaki's final film, but he sure created something spectacular. It's beyond me why this gem was surpassed by Frozen for an academy award.

Stitch

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:26 pm

Quoting ardian (Reply 1):
It's beyond me why this gem was surpassed by Frozen for an academy award.

Well he did win one for "Spirited Away".

ODwyerPW

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Unfortunately, we didn't receive any press about this movie here in Mexico. None that I saw.
I will have to see if it becomes available on Netflix to rent. Or perhaps even purchased on Bluray.
learning never stops.

cjg225

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:23 pm

I have yet to see it all the way through. Didn't get a chance to finish it. It's good, like all of Miyazaki's work. Something just feels off about it, though. I have to admit, it could be just a personal thing.

Quoting ardian (Reply 1):
Indeed it's a breathtaking movie. It's sad that it's Hayao Miyazaki's final film, but he sure created something spectacular. It's beyond me why this gem was surpassed by Frozen for an academy award.

Because Frozen was actually pretty good? Like I said, I haven't seen The Wind Rises all the way through, but Frozen was really, really good.

Quoting Stitch (Reply 2):
Well he did win one for "Spirited Away".

Which, the more I watch it, the more I realize is his best film by far, even though I, personally, like Howl's Moving Castle a bit more.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

ardian

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:20 pm

Nausicäa, Castle in the sky, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc... Goosebumps everytime I watch one of his movies! Almost impossible to name my favourite, but I hold a special place for Spirited Away. Miyazaki makes the world of cinema such a beautiful place! I did watch Frozen, but I'm not a fan of the 'American' (read: Disney) way of animated story telling. There is much more refinement in Miyazaki's work; intricate stories, well worked out characters which you can easily identify yourself with, a faded line between good and evil. I don't particularly dislike Disney, but a complete new world opened for me when I discovered Japanese animation. It's funny though, next to aviation, movies is my next big passion, so it's quite refreshing to discover this thread on my favourite forum  

I think I catch your drift cjg225 with your feeling that something is off about the movie. I love it though, but the focus of this movie really lies on the character development. It's quite... 'Asian' (well ofcourse it is), but as a matter of fact; in Japanese cinema, a lot of effort is put in smaller (and normally for western audience more 'insignificant') details. The romance, wedding, despair; building it up definitely takes quite some time and even I had the feeling that the movie lost some of its momentum. Personally I wouldn't consider this an ultimate 'aviation themed' movie, but more a coming of age story which is situated in the world of aviation. The attention to detail is immaculate though and you really catch a glimpse of the designing process from the planes.

Newark727

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:56 am

It's very good. Also very long. You don't realize how much momentum is building up but it's quite emotional by the end.

Newark727

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:59 am

Quoting ardian (Reply 5):
The attention to detail is immaculate though and you really catch a glimpse of the designing process from the planes.

All the machines in the movie - small steamboats, locomotives, cars - are animated with real love and attention to detail. In addition to the overall theme of the wind. It's really a gorgeous film to look at.

cjg225

Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:34 am

Quoting ardian (Reply 5):
I think I catch your drift cjg225 with your feeling that something is off about the movie. I love it though, but the focus of this movie really lies on the character development. It's quite... 'Asian' (well ofcourse it is), but as a matter of fact; in Japanese cinema, a lot of effort is put in smaller (and normally for western audience more 'insignificant') details. The romance, wedding, despair; building it up definitely takes quite some time and even I had the feeling that the movie lost some of its momentum. Personally I wouldn't consider this an ultimate 'aviation themed' movie, but more a coming of age story which is situated in the world of aviation. The attention to detail is immaculate though and you really catch a glimpse of the designing process from the planes.

You're right. If I could use this analogy, "Moneyball" isn't really about baseball; it's about the status quo and challenging it. Baseball is merely the setting. "The Wind Rises" is the same. Now, aviation plays a key role, but it's not an "aviation" movie.

I don't think it's really that I am a westerner and the movie is for a Japanese audience. I've watched Japanese animation for almost 20 years. I get the differences in storytelling between the west and the Japanese. It's hard to describe in this case, but I honestly just don't get the same feeling from "The Wind Rises" that I do from Miyazaki's other works. My favorites are Howl's, Spirited, Kiki's, and Totoro. They have a much different feel than Nausicaa, Mononoke, and The Wind Rises. I still haven't seen From Up On Poppy Hill (yes, I know the elder Miyazaki didn't direct it), but I want to... that said, I have a feeling I'll feel about it similarly to the way I feel about films like Nausicaa and The Wind Rises.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

cedarjet
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only fan of Hayao Miyazaki on here.

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 6):
It's very good. Also very long.

I don't think it's that long by contemporary standards at bang on two hours, shorter than most films these days (e.g. to look at couple of recent franchise blockbusters, Hunger Games Catching Fire is 2h30 and Transformers Age Of Extinction is a butt-numbing 2h45m - have you noticed that films are generally getting longer? 1984 comedy gem This Is Spinal Tap is 1h20m!)

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 7):
All the machines in the movie - small steamboats, locomotives, cars - are animated with real love and attention to detail

Well spotted. The trains and cars are fantastic. I was captivated as soon as we saw the little motor of the bi-plane in Jiro Horikoshi's childhood dream.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Newark727

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 9):
I don't think it's that long by contemporary standards at bang on two hours, shorter than most films these days (e.g. to look at couple of recent franchise blockbusters, Hunger Games Catching Fire is 2h30 and Transformers Age Of Extinction is a butt-numbing 2h45m - have you noticed that films are generally getting longer? 1984 comedy gem This Is Spinal Tap is 1h20m!)

Perhaps you're right - the truth is that I don't see all that many movies, so I don't have a very good baseline of reference.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos