Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MSYtristar

RE: SHV Gets Return Of Mainline DAL Service

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:17 pm

Does anyone think there's a market for SHV-MSY nowadays? Quite a few airlines have flown the route over the years, but the city pair has been without since US Airways Express pulled out in 2002. I make the drive up to SHV for work twice a month but I'd surely consider flying if there was a direct option. Aircraft availability could be an issue because I doubt it could work with much more than a 19-seater, but there aren't many 19 seaters flying around any longer. Maybe someone like SeaPort or Southern Airways Express would consider it with a C208.

sldispatcher
Topic Author

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 100):

Extremely doubtful.

milesrich

Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 7):
And to think, when I worked in SHV in '80-'82, we had at least 15 mainline flights.....a mix of 727-200s and DC-9-32s.

SHV is one of the original DL stations from 1929. Good to see it get mainline back.
Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 35):
I never knew they flew L10's into SHV. Interesting.

When I was in college at LaTech in '97, I used to drive over to SHV from time to time. DL 727's and M80's were still commonplace, and TW was running 3X daily DC9-30 service to STL at the time.

SHV had Convair 880 service regularly in the mid 60s before the DC-9s were delivered, but I do not remember DL ever regularly scheduling L-1011 into SHV, especially not on the route to MSY.

AAflyguy

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:08 pm

AA does not have "scheduled" CR7's into SHV so, if they are appearing, they are day of departure substitutions for 50-seat RJ's. The Aug 19 schedule is the first 2-class RJ service on AA @ SHV. And, it's operating 2 of 7 DFW trips. This is great news!

DL B717 service is also huge for the SHV market, as there were three larger RJ options it could have used to increase SHV seat capacity. Instead, it jumped over them in favor of B717 service. What's even more impressive is that the 2nd B717 flight was loaded before the 1st one has begun operating. Further, DL did not reduce ATL frequency in upgauging to the fall B717 add. DL's general rule is 1 B717 will be added with the loss of 1 50-seat RJ, for a near neutral capacity position (+10 sears). But, by keeping SHV at 7-flights, the market actually gains 60-seats per day starting Oct 1. That says DL has confidence in its ability to attract additional passenger traffic @ SHV.

UA's DEN flight is performing phenomenally well. Likely will see either a CR7 or a 2nd 50-seat RJ in 2015.

With the retirement of UA's E135's by early next year, there will be an automatic increase in seats to IAH as there are 1-2 baby Embraer's plying the route daily. Upgauge to larger RJ's is possible but not likely unless tied to upgauge of DEN flights.

MSY is very possible, but not until an appropriate turboprop operator establishes a base there to fly to markets such as SHV. Possible in 2015 but only if there's a solution, however short-term, to the current pilot shortage.

Great things lie ahead for SHV! It's been a long time comin'..glad to see some SHV love on a.net.