Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N62NA
Topic Author

How Is CX Doing At EWR?

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:20 am

Nearly slipped my mind that they've got their 77W service up and running at EWR. How's it doing?

CX Flyboy

RE: How Is CX Doing At EWR?

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:35 am

Pretty well apparently with plans for more frequency being looked at.

cx828

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:23 am

May be EWR second daily will come before SFO third daily?

bchandl

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:04 pm

Quoting cx828 (Reply 2):

Has a third daily SFO been announced, or even hinted at from a legit (Not some armchair CX CEO's wishlist) CX source?

That's a lot of daily seats for a market that they don't have an alliance member hub to offer connections.

CCA

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:01 pm

With the 744 stopping SFO at the end of Aug and 8 more 77Ws arriving this year, SFO could probably handle a 3rd flight flight seeing as a double daily 77W will be a reduction in capacity and SFO usually has very high load factors.
Enthusiast

as739x

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:30 pm

Quoting CCA (Reply 4):
With the 744 stopping SFO at the end of Aug

Will be a sad day. Not a takeoff goes by, when I am watching, that I don't take it all in. The 747 in CX colors has always been a favorite.

My personal guess will be CX will backfill capacity with an additional 77W maybe 4 weekly on the HKG-SFO run
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

bchandl

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:26 am

Quoting as739x (Reply 5):
My personal guess will be CX will backfill capacity with an additional 77W maybe 4 weekly on the HKG-SFO run

How does a 744 and 777 daily capacity transfer to 3 daily 777 and 4 daily on the weekends? That's a huge adjustment, not to mention the SFO-HKG flights for Biz pax to be there for a Monday morning meeting you would need to leave by Saturday morning since the timings are

SFO-HKG +28hours in time

So the in the 4X daily weekends only 2/8 flights would get you to HKG, maybe 4/8, by Monday morning.

I'm not sure who you're trying to target by throwing an obscene amount of additional capacity at this route, especially with no partner airline to feed their flights at SFO, and a competiting airline with a large hub and operates the exact same route.

AA767LOVER

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:46 am

First, kudos to CX for performing well in UA's fortresses at both SFO and EWR on routes both airlines operate.
UA to be competitive and competent means dropping an aging 744 with seats that aggravate hemorrhoids on a 14+ hour flight elapsed, NOT block time. I've flown UA four times on SFO-HKG and SQ 2/1 respectively in the past three years. UA will get you there on a flying beauty queen, but SQ is tops all around for service. Additional CX frequency will be welcome at SFO to show UA what a crappy transpacific econ product they have.
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

bchandl

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:02 am

Quoting AA767LOVER (Reply 7):

Won't matter to very many people outside of SFO catchment area. If I had to get to HKG, I would fly someone who could connect me the whole way through.

Baggage recollection and rechecking in sounds atrocious.

fxramper

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:36 am

The EWR flight leaves at like 2am. It's about 70% full on a good day. Respect CXflyboy, but pilots are usually the late to know when a route is doing well; well enough to be this virgin and considered for a 2x daily is comical. UA will add a 2x daily EWR-HKG before they let OW & CX do another under preforming vampire flight.   

legacyins

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:38 am

Quoting bchandl (Reply 8):

Cathay has a long history at SFO. Their current North American Headquarters is located in San Francisco. There is a very large Cantonese speaking population in San Francisco and the Bay Area as a whole. Not to mention they do offer connections to SE Asia and India. There is no problem filling the front and back of their aircraft. They are currently the only air carrier offering double daily.

If you look at the other carriers, UA and SQ. UA has the hub to fill and SQ, a *A, does not code share with UA but with VX and a lesser extent US. These days, most air carriers have an interline agreement. You can fly DL into SFO and connect to the CX flight for example.

IMO, CX will add a third daily one of these days.

CX Flyboy

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:57 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 9):
It's about 70% full on a good day. Respect CXflyboy, but pilots are usually the late to know when a route is doing well; well enough to be this virgin and considered for a 2x daily is comical.

My info is from the ground manager at EWR and comes based on advanced bookings. The info was hot off the press, as it were, and comes only a few weeks into the new service. It would have been hard to know this info much earlier since it is a new service for us.

bchandl

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:07 am

Quoting legacyins (Reply 10):
IMO, CX will add a third daily one of these days.

Sure, when the 744 is gone, basically not much of a growth in seats.

The reply I was responding to was suggesting that they were going to go 30x/week. 3x daily and 4x SatSun. Which will simply not happen.

Quoting CX Flyboy (Reply 11):
My info is from the ground manager at EWR and comes based on advanced bookings. The info was hot off the press, as it were, and comes only a few weeks into the new service. It would have been hard to know this info much earlier since it is a new service for us.

Still doubt it. So many times this website is used to turn posters' pipe dreams into "fact". Facts that never come true.

This is likely one of them.

N62NA
Topic Author

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:53 am

Quoting CX Flyboy (Reply 1):
Pretty well apparently with plans for more frequency being looked at.

That's great news!

First, kudos to CX for performing well in UA's fortresses at both SFO and EWR on routes both airlines operate.

Yep!

Quoting fxramper (Reply 9):
The EWR flight leaves at like 2am. It's about 70% full on a good day.

Uh oh.

Quoting CX Flyboy (Reply 11):
My info is from the ground manager at EWR and comes based on advanced bookings. The info was hot off the press, as it were, and comes only a few weeks into the new service.

Great!

Quoting bchandl (Reply 12):
Still doubt it. So many times this website is used to turn posters' pipe dreams into "fact". Facts that never come true.

This is likely one of them.

We'll see.

qf002

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:32 am

Quoting bchandl (Reply 12):
The reply I was responding to was suggesting that they were going to go 30x/week. 3x daily and 4x SatSun. Which will simply not happen.

No it wasn't -- it was suggesting an additional 4 weekly flights on top of the existing two daily (making 18 weekly services). It didn't make mention of a third daily or extra flights on weekends  

upwardfacing

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:38 am

SFO will probably get a third daily flight--it has been predicted for some time--but it may have to wait its turn following other expansions (such as consolidating no-competition routes like JFK and LAX) and new services (MAN, ZRH, etc.)

CX can't get seem to get 77Ws fast enough.

AA767LOVER

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:11 am

Honestly, the 2 am is quite good for the body as it follows your natural sleeping rhythm.
I used to hate it but found that by the time I touch down at HKG at 6:00 am, local, I have very little jet lag.
I can arrive home, unpack, and do my business of the day efficiently as opposed to the usual UA 869 from SFO arriving at 7:00 pm. By the time I land, go through the long corridor, to immigration, bag claim, it's a whole hour affair. Then I take the bus home. It's already 9. P.m.
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

zeke

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:39 am

Quoting N62NA (Thread starter):
Nearly slipped my mind that they've got their 77W service up and running at EWR. How's it doing?

CX does things a little differently, in that any new service, be it a destination or frequency will only start after so much has already been presold. In other words, they know they are going to cover their costs before starting.

This has to be done when operating ULH flights.

Won't matter to very many people outside of SFO catchment area. If I had to get to HKG, I would fly someone who could connect me the whole way through.

You do not necessarily need to recheck baggage. I have done MIA & DFW via SFO to HKG without rechecking. I understand LAN also check luggage through when traveling from South America.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

flythere

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:16 am

Heard that up to this moment, it's already 70%+ booking for the rest of the summer period.

trex8

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:25 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 17):

You do not necessarily need to recheck baggage. I have done MIA & DFW via SFO to HKG without rechecking. I understand LAN also check luggage through when traveling from South America.

Why would you need to recheck? Unless you were flying some LCC to connect to that CX flight? And inbound to US everyone has to clear CBP and then drop off their bags at the connection desk.

jfklganyc

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:27 pm

How has this effected loads on UAs EWR-HKG flight?

FriscoHeavy

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Does CX have any take-off performance issues out of EWR? I've heard the pmCO 77E sometimes has to wait several hours in the summer if the temperature is too hot. I was wondering if the 77W has the same issues or the 115K thrust is enough to get it out of there.

Thanks,
Whatever

avek00

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 20):
How has this effected loads on UAs EWR-HKG flight?

I doubt the flights "clash" with each other much, as they cater to distinctly different traffic flows and pax preferences.
Live life to the fullest.

727LOVER

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:26 pm

I have searched the silly search function but cant find the thread that announced this. I remember someone from Miami complaining that why EWR when they already served JFK. which is a mere 45 minutes away (his words, not mine)

WHERE'S THAT THREAD ??!?!??!  
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 21):
Does CX have any take-off performance issues out of EWR? I've heard the pmCO 77E sometimes has to wait several hours in the summer if the temperature is too hot. I was wondering if the 77W has the same issues or the 115K thrust is enough to get it out of there.

I doubt they would have as many problems as the UA flight due to their late night operations. In the height of summer, it is usually around 60 degrees farenheit at those early hours.  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

zeke

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 23):
WHERE'S THAT THREAD ??!?!??!

one of these ?

Cathay Pacific Launching HKG-EWR? (by washingtonian Oct 1 2011 in Civil Aviation)
Cathay Pacific To Announce New US Destination (by LAXintl Aug 7 2013 in Civil Aviation)
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

727LOVER

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 25):
one of these ?

Yes, the 2nd one.....THANK YOU !   
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

FriscoHeavy

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Thank you MesaFlyGuy. I assumed (incorrectly), that CX departed in the afternoon just as UA does. Thanks for correcting me.
Whatever

jacobchoi

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:02 pm

On a side note, will there ever be a possibility of HKG-MIA?

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 27):
Thank you MesaFlyGuy. I assumed (incorrectly), that CX departed in the afternoon just as UA does. Thanks for correcting me.

Hey, I forgot all together that CX even flew to EWR until I saw this thread, so you're still ahead of me! 
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

GuyBetsy1

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:39 am

A lot of Cx's passengers are connecting traffic. Mainland China, Taiwan, South East Asia to name a few. That's probably why it fares better than UA.

BestWestern

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 am

Had lunch during the week with a JFK road warrior - from HKG at least x6 annually.

He tried EWR for the first time last week, and is a convert. Better security, far superior lounge with better selection of beer and food.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

flythere

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:15 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 23):
I remember someone from Miami complaining that why EWR when they already served JFK. which is a mere 45 minutes away (his words, not mine)

CX already serves JFK multiple daily. By serving EWR, catchment area can reach out to greater New Jersey area and even PHL, which JFK cant do the work.

Quoting jacobchoi (Reply 28):

On a side note, will there ever be a possibility of HKG-MIA?

Guess S.America - Asia market would be much more ready by the time of 779 arrival.

jfklganyc

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Quoting avek00 (Reply 22):

I doubt the flights "clash" with each other much, as they cater to distinctly different traffic flows and pax preferences.

Can you elaborate on that comment? If I was flying to HKG tomorrow, either one would be an option. What is so different about traffic flows? I'm not being sarcastic, just curious

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos