Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airliner371
Topic Author

DL - "The World's Most Trusted Airline"

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:56 am

Delta has sought to secure "The World's Most Trusted Airline" as there new slogan.

What do you think?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...s-most-trusted-20140619-story.html

BA0197

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:03 am

I'm sorry but they certainly are not. That is what first comes to mind.

Trust- believe in the reliability, truth, or ability of.

Is that really a solgan fitted for an airline like Delta? I think most will see it as market puffery.

bchandl

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:12 am

This thread is going to quickly dive into "No my favorite airline is XYZ, I trust them more!!!!"

It only took one post to start down that route:

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 1):

Reality is that trust is an opinion, and everyone has different opinions. Stating your opinion on the topic and then inserting a plug for your favorite airline(s) adds nothing to the discussion.

DL is running circles around most american airlines. At least it's not United trying to make this their slogan.

coronado

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:15 am

I think it fits in with their relationship with KLM and their previous moniker of worldwide reliability. DL completion factor percentages, on time numbers, and increasingly consistent on board customer experience seems to validate their claim to being trusted - plus 85 years of flying paying pax is not something to be dismissed lightly. Only a single handful get to claim that.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

N867DA

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:15 am

Quoting bchandl (Reply 2):
Reality is that trust is an opinion, and everyone has different opinions. Stating your opinion on the topic and then inserting a plug for your favorite airline(s) adds nothing to the discussion.

There are many special things in the sky, a lot of airlines love to fly and I'm sure it shows, and I'm sure even SQ flight attendants compare notes on service with other airline employees. It is a marketing slogan meant to convince new fliers to choose Airline A, or validate the decision of customers who have chosen to be loyal to Airline A that their choice is correct.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

PHX Flyer

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:16 am

Delta is without doubt a very impressive airline. However, the first thing that came to mind when I read this, was Michael O'Leary calling Ryanair "Europe's favourite airline" based on the number of ticket sales, when in fact Ryanair is probably one of the most disliked airlines, probably not only in Europe, but worldwide. I agree with BA0197, it's a marketing tag line, rather meaningless, but better than the previous one.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes forever skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." -Leonardo Da Vinci

MSPNWA

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:27 am

I chuckled when I read their proposal. DL is running great right now, but no airline in history has been worthy of that title. No company in a highly cyclical service industry can claim that. By definition a service industry is not trustworthy since the product is always variable.

I think most will see it as market puffery.

I agree. This is just over the top. But in my opinion it does fit in with their egotistical culture.

Planesmart

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:35 am

If they have the market research to support it, then credible. If they have no market research, or if it's skewed, or not collected by a neutral third party, then mere puffery.

Given the global reach of Delta, or rather the lack of it, I find it hard to believe they are the World's most trusted. But we are talking perception, not fact, so if they say it often enough............

In my experience, ask the staff of any business making that claim. To be highly trusted by customers, you have to have staff who feel the same way.

BA0197

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:44 am

This thread is going to quickly dive into "No my favorite airline is XYZ, I trust them more!!!!"

It only took one post to start down that route:

I was implying no such thing. I honestly think this is a very pompous and unsubstantiated claim. No one airline can honestly prove that they are the "most trusted airline" as it is an opinion. My point is that it is not a slogan any respectable company would use and is very self-complementary. If it could somehow be substantiated then my opinion would be vastly different. You cannot substantiate trustworthiness. Mere puffery, and I hope most see it as such. This is a bad idea for Delta.

"Europe's Favourite Airline" and the "World's Favourite Airline" were backed up with facts and figures. I recognise that as clever marketing, but it could never be dismissed as unsubstantiated.

n7371f

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:19 am

I can see where Delta gets off on this tag line. I mean after all they thought their numerous changes to SkyMiles were all positive 

Delta is a great run airline and is quite a story. But don't give me this line. I'm one of the many fans of Delta who also despises the changes and awful communication with SkyMiles. There's no trust there, at all.

mayor

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:35 am

Quoting Coronado (Reply 3):
Only a single handful get to claim that.

Unfortunately, there's only a handful left.

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 6):
But in my opinion it does fit in with their egotistical culture.

And in my opinion, we can expect nothing more from your opinions, because of your obvious disdain and dislike of Delta.

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 8):

"Europe's Favourite Airline" and the "World's Favourite Airline" were backed up with facts and figures. I recognise that as clever marketing, but it could never be dismissed as unsubstantiated.

I do remember, at one time, at least, that while BA was using "World's Favourite Airlines", DL was carrying more pax. Just wondered who that slogan applied more to at that time?

However, in my opinion, posting this, whether newsworthy or not is just asking for flamebait and the type of thread that it has already turned into. Either the OP didn't realize this when it was posted OR DID realize it and expected exactly this.

[Edited 2014-06-22 20:37:57]
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

deltal1011man

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:36 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 10):
But don't give me this line. I'm one of the many fans of Delta who also despises the changes and awful communication with SkyMiles.

if its so terrible why hasn't Delta seen a mass exodus from SM? Why is UA cpoying.

IMO the "many" people upset with the changes are the ones who think they are HVCs to the company but aren't even on the radar. The new system kills the people flying on low fares and doing millage runs. The typical crowd you see on FlyerTalk is a great example of people who think they mean everything, but really mean little(or 80-90% of them). Those buying last minute full fare tickets will benefit greatly for it.

having said that, Worlds must trust airline is a bit much. I personally wouldn't and don't trust Delta or Delta's management to be their when needed most. JMO.

mayor

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:41 am

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 13):
having said that, Worlds must trust airline is a bit much. I personally wouldn't and don't trust Delta or Delta's management to be their when needed most. JMO.

Thanks for adding to the flamebait.  

BTW, the article does also mention that airlines sometimes will trademark a slogan to keep competitors from using it. They could also be wanting it to use at a later date.

[Edited 2014-06-22 20:47:09]
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

bchandl

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:49 am

I was implying no such thing. I honestly think this is a very pompous and unsubstantiated claim

You substantiated it.

Right here:

No one airline can honestly prove that they are the "most trusted airline" as it is an opinion.

I agree that no one airline can prove it. However you apparently can, since you ruled one out, you must have another in mind.

I'm sorry but they certainly are not. That is what first comes to mind.

mayor

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:50 am

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 13):
Ah yes so we should ONLY speak good things of Delta whether we like it or not, yes?

Considering that the gentleman we're referring to works for Delta, I'd say yes..........criticisms keep in house, praise all you want (or not) in public.

ASFlyer

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:05 am

Perhaps the Delta employees aren't as happy and don't trust the company as much as management is telling them they should?

[Edited 2014-06-22 21:08:40]

BA0197

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:07 am

I honestly think this is a very pompous and unsubstantiated claim.

Firstly, this was a reference to Delta's claim that they are "the world's most trusted airline", not a jab at you.

And you are right to assume that I (personally) think other airlines certainly give a more trustworthy impression, however I did not state one that I thought. As I said previously:

No one airline can honestly prove that they are the "most trusted airline" as it is an opinion

I think that slogan would be a very irresponsible one to use and bad for the Delta brand. It is pompous and self-congratulatory, not an impression a company such as Delta should be emitting. Consumers recognise what is puffery and what is not.

n7371f

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:16 am

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 11):
IMO the "many" people upset with the changes are the ones who think they are HVCs to the company but aren't even on the radar. The new system kills the people flying on low fares and doing millage runs. The typical crowd you see on FlyerTalk is a great example of people who think they mean everything, but really mean little(or 80-90% of them). Those buying last minute full fare tickets will benefit greatly for it.

You're missing the scope of my point. I go back to the merger announcement and the "best of both."

And there's no competition any more. It's an oligarchy. Where am I going to run to? I tried United as 1K but they're a mess and AA will be US in a year. Why do you think the ff programs are being gutted? They're not as vital as before.

I've flown 2.2 millions mile on combined NW/DL and 90% of it I've had to foot the bill. So I think it's fair for me to comment.

Sorry you dislike the majority NW management. I've always found Richard a straight shooter when I've met him & dealt with him. Heck even the NW Unions liked him prior to 9/11.

[Edited 2014-06-22 21:22:47]

EA CO AS

RE: DL - "The World's Most Trusted Airline"

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:20 am

Quoting airliner371 (Thread starter):
Delta has sought to secure "The World's Most Trusted Airline" as there new slogan.

I'd like to know how they quantified that statement. Back when EA used "America's Favorite Way To Fly" they could back it up with stats showing more passengers carried than any other airline in the U.S. How can DL objectively back up their claim?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Flighty

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:32 am

Let's get real. Lufthansa is the most trusted. Delta may be in the top 10. Maybe for financial results DL has a good case.

catiii

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:39 am

I think we may all be missing the point of the TM filing. As was noted in the article, they may be filing it not because they want to use it in their advertisements, but because they don't want another airline to be able to use it.

I can't imagine they'd be so dumb as to actually base an ad campaign around it. It's such an easy slogan for the media and customers to bastardize when things go bad...

Boeing717200

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:49 am

1. It's for a US trademark.
2. Even though Southwest is a big airline, they still are looked at as second fiddle. Not sure why, but that's the way it it.
3. That leaves their direct competitors... United and American, and my experience with United has been a disaster. I've flown them three times and three times they lost my luggage. They lost my business forever after that and it was 20 years ago. Funny thing is, nothing has changed. Seriously United, get your act together. AA is merging with US who still hasn't finished the last merger. That should go swimmingly... By default, Delta kinda wins.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

mayor

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:00 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 15):
Perhaps the Delta employees aren't as happy and don't trust the company as much as management is telling them they should?

Company never had to tell us we had to be happy, it just sort of came with the territory. Don't see why things should be any different, now.

ASFlyer

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:01 am

Maybe because it's northwest management running the place now and Northwest was never an airline known for treating their employees well. Maybe because the days of blindly trusting that your employer has your best interest at heart are over. Maybe because people think for themselves more often these days.

L-188

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:10 am

Anybody who has seen Rainman knows Delta isn't the most trusted airline.....I just don't see Dustin Hoffman claiming, Delta Never Crashes, because we all know that isn't true.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

a320fan

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:40 am

I swear QF was using this slogan in TV advertisements about 12 months ago.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Byrdluvs747

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:36 am

They can no longer use the "Worlds Largest Airline" slogan they were spewing in every direction after the NW-dl merger, so now they come up with this claptrap? BA's use of "Worlds Favourite Airline" is far more appropriate than this dl nonsense.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

opethfan

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:42 am

Children, children. Just because we're aviation enthusiasts and all have a shared passion for the industry, complete with strong opinions, does not mean we need to devolve into petty bickering over whether or not a marketing tagline is 100% accurate in all cases, all of the time.

It's marketing. It's quite literally the company saying the most positive stuff it can about itself in as few words as possible. They'd probably choose "F***ing Incredible!" or "Awesometasticsauce" if they could pull it off.

RWA380

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:32 am

Quoting planesmart (Reply 7):
If they have the market research to support it, then credible. If they have no market research, or if it's skewed, or not collected by a neutral third party, then mere puffery

Advertising is such a complicated & creative thing, where else can one fabricate something out of nothing and sell it for millions of dollars?

A completely subjective statement, I'm sure there are many folks at AS who wouldn't agree with this statement, just sayin.

707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

jetlanta

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Oh good lord. They haven't even used this in any marketing whatsoever but everyone has an opinion. How about everyone just shuts up until the day if/when we actually see them using it? Talk about "puffery".

MaverickM11

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 11):
IMO the "many" people upset with the changes are the ones who think they are HVCs to the company but aren't even on the radar

Well there goes every last reason for Flyertalk's existence 
I don't take responsibility at all

longhauler

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:55 pm

I see from the article, that Delta are looking to secure the rights to to the claim. It doesn't say they are going to use it ... just that they want the rights. But as those above have noted, it is such a vague claim, one wonders what they mean by "trust".

You "trust" them to arrive on time?
You "trust" them to be safe?
You "trust" the flight to be pleasant?

You "trust" them to pay back the twenty bucks you lent them to buy pizza? Who knows?

They aren't saying they have the best on time record, or are the safest, or the most pleasant ... just that you trust them to be so. It's actually a very clever way of implying something.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

TVNWZ

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Quoting planesmart (Reply 7):
If they have the market research to support it, then credible. If they have no market research, or if it's skewed, or not collected by a neutral third party, then mere puffery.

If they are registering it, it resonates on the market research level. DL does market research constantly spending millions every year. If they don't use it they have research that shows it could be used against them. If they use it, they have research that shows it can help them.

To think a company the size of Delta would just throw a slogan out there without research is naive.

burnsie28

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Quoting a320fan (Reply 25):

I swear QF was using this slogan in TV advertisements about 12 months ago.

I think that might have been "The World's Most Experienced Airline"

catiii

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:40 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 31):
You "trust" them to arrive on time?
You "trust" them to be safe?
You "trust" the flight to be pleasant?

Right, but it cuts the other way when things go wrong.

"I trusted they would get me there on time, and they didnt. I trusted that my bags would arrive with me, but they didn't."

God forbid there's ever an accident: "I trusted them with my (my family's) life."

I think they're just TM'ing it to keep it out of the marketplace so no one else can use it.

DTWPurserBoy

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:56 pm

This is one of those phrases that can come back to bite you in the butt--kind of like saying "Airline X is the safest airline in the world."
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

questions

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:58 pm

What happened to... "We're a Beeg Glo Buhl Ayer Lion"

jreuschl

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:58 pm

Reminds me of all of the marketing that companies do when they pay for sponsorships with a major sports team in the US. Like a certain airline being the "official" airline of the team yet they do no charter work for them. Like WN or previously F9 for the Milwaukee Brewers. No charter work since the YX days.

So really they can say anything.

727LOVER

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 10):
I do remember, at one time, at least, that while BA was using "World's Favourite Airlines", DL was carrying more pax. Just wondered who that slogan applied more to at that time?

Was that TATL pax?....as in WORLD

Sorry....carrying pax between SYR & DSM or TUL & BUF does not classify as world. Unlike LHR-HKG, LHR-PVG, LHR-NRT

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 21):
By default, Delta kinda wins.

Because United lost your luggage 20 years ago?????????

Quoting L-188 (Reply 24):
I just don't see Dustin Hoffman claiming, Delta Never Crashes, because we all know that isn't true.

Too be fair, they haven't had a crash since 1988. US, AA, UA can't really say that......and NO, I'm not counting Comair   

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 29):
but everyone has an opinion.

.......and we cannot give opinions???????????????

If we're talking about

LH   
JL   
AA   
CX   
HA   
AS   
WN   
B6   
NK   
BA   
IB   
UA   
AC   
LX   
DL   
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

highflier92660

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:36 pm

I would assume Delta is tapping into their historical connection with Pan Am which had a well-known tag-line: The World's Most Experienced Airline.

jetlanta

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 38):
.......and we cannot give opinions???????????????

If we're talking about

LH   
JL   
AA   
CX   
HA   
AS   
WN   
B6   
NK   
BA   
IB   
UA   
AC   
LX   
DL   

You certainly can have an opinion, I just don't know why you WOULD.

jumpjets

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 10):

If I recall the advertising standards people allowed the slogan as it was based on hard 'facts' ie the number of international passengers carried by the airline. For whatever reason best known to the ad men passengers travelling on domestic flights didn't come into the equation. Therefore BA although carrying less passengers overall than the likes of DL were allowed to claim the title.

Trust of course is a much more intangible quality - so the DL slogan is hard to either prove or disprove really.

mayor

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 23):
Maybe because it's northwest management running the place now and Northwest was never an airline known for treating their employees well. Maybe because the days of blindly trusting that your employer has your best interest at heart are over. Maybe because people think for themselves more often these days.

You've bought into that myth, eh?

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 38):
Was that TATL pax?....as in WORLD

Sorry....carrying pax between SYR & DSM or TUL & BUF does not classify as world. Unlike LHR-HKG, LHR-PVG, LHR-NRT

It was after the acquisition of the PA routes, so I imagine it included those pax, also. And since when is domestic North America not considered "world"?

727LOVER

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 42):
It was after the acquisition of the PA routes, so I imagine it included those pax, also. And since when is domestic North America not considered "world"?

I don't recall needing a passport to fly MEM-RIC

Quoting mayor (Reply 42):
It was after the acquisition of the PA routes, so I imagine it included those pax,

I will take this point into consideration.....but....don't blame me....go sue BA
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

LonghornDC9

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:36 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 20):
I think we may all be missing the point of the TM filing. As was noted in the article, they may be filing it not because they want to use it in their advertisements, but because they don't want another airline to be able to use it.

Exactly.

Let's not get too hasty folks. If you read the article, all it says is that they reserved the slogan, it said nothing about actually using it. Companies do stuff like this all the time with Patents and Trademarks (for better or worse).
Lone Star Beer and Bob Will's Music . . . . . . . .

mayor

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 43):
I don't recall needing a passport to fly MEM-RIC

Who said anything about needing a passport. Does BA count the pax carried within the UK in their figures or do they separate those?

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 43):
I will take this point into consideration.....but....don't blame me....go sue BA

Seems to worry you more than it does me. I just thought, that this recollection I had, was kind of funny. It's up to you, but don't laugh if you don't feel like it.

Quoting LonghornDC9 (Reply 44):
Let's not get too hasty folks. If you read the article, all it says is that they reserved the slogan, it said nothing about actually using it. Companies do stuff like this all the time with Patents and Trademarks (for better or worse).

Yeah, but this way, using this small bit of news, that says nothing about DL actually USING the slogan, they can keep bashing DL for the most obscure of reasons.

catiii

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Quoting LonghornDC9 (Reply 44):

And website addresses too...

ORDfan

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:04 pm

Fair point, but I think the problem is the slogan itself is a really a matter of opinion. Certainly trust is a subjective emotion. Any airline adopting a slogan which aims to state a matter of fact that is not quantifiable, or in some way justifiable (does DL have the best on-time performance/fewest delays, etc.) seems to run the risk of it coming back to haunt them - not just DL, but BA, UA, whoever. It just begs the question: what exactly is a "trusted airline"?

Mortyman

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:36 pm

There is no way of confirming this to be factually true ...

Delta must live in a very small world ...

mayor

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 48):
There is no way of confirming this to be factually true ...

And in fact, all the article says is that DL is wanting to give trademark status to this slogan and then jumps to the conclusion (lot of that going on here) that DL wants to use this as their slogan.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos