Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman

RE: DL - "The World's Most Trusted Airline"

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:51 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 49):
And in fact, all the article says is that DL is wanting to give trademark status to this slogan and then jumps to the conclusion (lot of that going on here) that DL wants to use this as their slogan.

and the difference is ?

Flighty

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Quoting LonghornDC9 (Reply 44):
. If you read the article, all it says is that they reserved the slogan,

If they do not actively use this trademark, then it is not a valid trademark (wiki says 5 years is normally the time given before a trademark returns to public domain).

So maybe they can reserve it for a little while, but that's it.

mayor

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 50):
and the difference is ?

They could give it trademark status without using it.

I'll admit it's a small jump, but a jump, nonetheless....the jump is right here:

"Delta has filed for trademark protection with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for what sounds like the airline’s newest motto: “The World’s Most Trusted Airline.”
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

CV880

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:04 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 38):

If we're talking about

Your choices of carriers in North America are very questionable and I am not defending DL. I personally think that the statement that DL is making leaves one open for much criticism, but most of the carriers that you're putting on a pedestal are certainly no better or worse.

Boeing717200

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 38):
Because United lost your luggage 20 years ago?????????

No, because 20 years later nothing has changed at United.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

CV880

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:05 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 52):
"Delta has filed for trademark protection with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for what sounds like the airline’s newest motto: “The World’s Most Trusted Airline.”

DL would be better off with the old Western jingle....."the only way to fly", plus it had a catchy tune.

727LOVER

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Quoting CV880 (Reply 53):
Your choices of carriers in North America are very questionable and I am not defending DL. I personally think that the statement that DL is making leaves one open for much criticism, but most of the carriers that you're putting on a pedestal are certainly no better or worse.

My reaction to this is: H U H ????    

Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Especially this   

Quoting CV880 (Reply 53):
you're putting on a pedestal

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 54):
No, because 20 years later nothing has changed at United.

How do you know that if you haven't flown them in 20 years?????

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 21):
By default, Delta kinda wins.

.....really? So no one on a.net has never had DL lose their luggage?

Also, I think this lady would disagree:
Flier Stranded As DL Voids US Airways Ticket (by DTWLAX Jun 17 2014 in Civil Aviation)
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

catiii

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:18 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 48):

Delta must live in a very small world ...

Correct, a world of record profits as one of the 2 largest carriers on the planet.

Planesmart

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 51):
If they do not actively use this trademark, then it is not a valid trademark (wiki says 5 years is normally the time given before a trademark returns to public domain).

Most countries trademark authorities / patent offices apply a time limit to unused / never used trademarks using a combination of commonly used words.

Perhaps they are spoiling, having heard another airline was planning to use a similar or identical phrase.

Or perhaps they just want profile on airliners.net

Boeing717200

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 56):
How do you know that if you haven't flown them in 20 years?????

My wife did two weeks ago. Wanna guess what happened?

Also, I think this lady would disagree:
Flier Stranded As DL Voids US Airways Ticket (by DTWLAX Jun 17 2014 in Civil Aviation)

Drama.

[Edited 2014-06-23 13:10:27]

727LOVER

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 59):
My wife did two weeks ago. Wanna guess what happened?

AAAAAHHHHHH.......ok...you're forgiven !!! 
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Boeing717200

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 60):
AAAAAHHHHHH.......ok...you're forgiven !!!

On a non-stop even. FAIL!

bobnwa

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:22 pm

[quote=MSPNWA,reply=6]I agree. This is just over the top. But in my opinion it does fit in with their egotistical culture.
So we can cast your vote into the no category,with no bias on your point

Mortyman

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 57):
Correct, a world of record profits as one of the 2 largest carriers on the planet.

Irrelevant argument. We are discussing slogan. Record profit and size of airline, has nothing to do With claiming to be " the most trusted airline "

CV880

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:02 pm

My reaction to this is: H U H ????

Sorry, misinterpreted Your post.

ASFlyer

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:24 pm

What exactly are you trying to

Quoting catiii (Reply 57):

What does this have to do with anything? It doesn't mean that they're the most trusted, it just means they're one of the last surviving U.S. airlines. In this age of consolidation, there really aren't many choices in the U.S., but there are a lot of airlines flying worldwide that may have a more legitimate claim to being "The Worlds Most Trusted Airline". Delta wouldn't be the one.

EA CO AS

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:36 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 49):
Quoting Mortyman (Reply 48):There is no way of confirming this to be factually true ...
And in fact, all the article says is that DL is wanting to give trademark status to this slogan and then jumps to the conclusion (lot of that going on here) that DL wants to use this as their slogan.

It's a logical conclusion. After all, would they trademark it if they didn't have the intent of potentially making use of it?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Mortyman

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 66):
It's a logical conclusion. After all, would they trademark it if they didn't have the intent of potentially making use of it?

The quote you quoted is not entirely by me. Only the first part. Just saying ...

mayor

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:03 pm

If you read the article you'll see where they might. That makes more sense than they WILL.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Prost

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:03 pm

I can see how this can become challenging for crewmembers durring irregular operations. Passengers can come up with some zingers that turn a phrase when they are in unpleasant situations (tarmac delays, mechanicals, etc.)

Viscount724

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:22 pm

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 33):
Quoting a320fan (Reply 25):

I swear QF was using this slogan in TV advertisements about 12 months ago.

I think that might have been "The World's Most Experienced Airline"

Which they stole from Pan Am which used that slogan for many years.

Quoting CV880 (Reply 55):
DL would be better off with the old Western jingle....."the only way to fly", plus it had a catchy tune.

Yes, and they could ressurect Western's "Wally Bird" mascot.
http://www.tvacres.com/adanimals_wallybird.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfmRKHtzfFs

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/dcrawley/WesternAirlines.jpg

JQflightie

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:41 am

Quoting a320fan (Reply 25):

i think you are getting it mixed up with "The World Most Experienced Airline'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDWqGS71n04
When is my next holiday?

EA CO AS

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:17 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 68):

If you read the article you'll see where they might. That makes more sense than they WILL.

You said acting as though DL wanted to use the slogan was somehow jumping to conclusions. Acknowledging they "might" means they want to enough to at least take the step of trademarking it.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

RWA380

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:39 am

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 29):

Oh good lord. They haven't even used this in any marketing whatsoever but everyone has an opinion. How about everyone just shuts up until the day if/when we actually see them using it? Talk about "puffery"

The thread is about DL obtaining a trademark for the phrase, not about the day they actually use it. (If DL does use it, you may start that thread so we can repeat what is being said here over there)

But by A.net definitions, (I was recently caught by the same thing by our mods) you are off topic. What seems to be a popular response here is, if you don't like the conversation, no one is making you read or stay in the thread.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 70):
Yes, and they could ressurect Western's "Wally Bird" mascot

I loved the Wally bird ads, I liked him on the 72S tail the most, sitting atop engine #2 intake.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 72):
You said acting as though DL wanted to use the slogan was somehow jumping to conclusions. Acknowledging they "might" means they want to enough to at least take the step of trademarking it

Honestly companies hold things like this all the time, they may or may not use it. I used to work onsite for Wyden &
Kennedy here in Portland, you should check out their ad company, I learned a lot, but the fact companies do TM things they think others want, or just don't want others to use. However the large percentage of TMs happen when a promising ad campaign is in the works, but before DL invests lots of money, they lock down exclusivity to the phrase.

I had heard of when US & AA were still quietly talking, when someone noticed many website addresses were all secured, they all ran along the lines of AA+US.com or AmericanAirways.com and so on, IIRC there were more than 20. This info leaking potentially spilt the beans about the then unannounced merger.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

sierra3tango

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:58 am

"The World's" more like "In our (part of the) World"

Never flown them, as they don't fly the routes I fly (even remotely) - so axe to grind there (or lost baggage)

In this part of the World (eastern Asia) and Africa I very much doubt more than a miniscule % of the populous
have even heard of them. You can't trust something / one has never had any knowledge of.

A rather exaggerated statement IHMO which might work at home (though it'd put me off) & some markets where
DL are strong (maybe).

It has the danger of begging the question "what makes up your world? it must be a different one to the one I inhabit"

[Edited 2014-06-24 05:06:33]

PPVRA

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Thread starter):
DL - "The World's Most Trusted Airline"  

IMO they need to keep doing the good job they are doing consistently for at least a cumulative 10 years before using such a grand slogan. But that's just me.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Mir

Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 75):
IMO they need to keep doing the good job they are doing consistently for at least a cumulative 10 years before using such a grand slogan. But that's just me.

Even then it wouldn't fit. There are too many important parts of the world these days for an airline based on any one continent to call themselves "The World's Most ______ Airline". India and China are two very important regions where Delta doesn't have a lot of presence, simply because they're a North American carrier and no North American carrier is going to have a big presence on the other side of the globe. I don't even think a European or Asian carrier could pull that off - maybe one of the Middle East carriers could, but it would still sound strange.

Delta has done a very good job with their marketing by staying away from subjective superlatives and sticking with either verifiable facts ("the most nonstops from _____") or comments about their overall vision ("keep climbing", which I think really works well and they should keep using). They shouldn't mess with what's not broken.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

intermodal64

Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:56 pm

They certainly need to replace "Keep Climbing." From day one it has made me think of a bunch of crabs climbing on top of each other trying to escape a trap. It also makes me think of a bunch of passenger climbing all over each other trying to get an upgrade! But when I think of the "most trusted airline," I think of Southwest. Why would Delta want a slogan that makes me think of their competitor?

catiii

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 63):
Irrelevant argument. We are discussing slogan. Record profit and size of airline, has nothing to do With claiming to be " the most trusted airline "
Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 65):
What does this have to do with anything?

You said they live in a small world. I'm saying they don't. It's very simple. It's also a fact that, generally, they know what they're doing. So if they want to TM this slogan in order to take it out of circulation so no other airline can use it, while not using it in any of their ad campaigns, the track record they have with decisions like this is pretty solid.

mayor

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:54 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 72):
You said acting as though DL wanted to use the slogan was somehow jumping to conclusions.

I referred to the article saying that registering this slogan was tatamount to them wanting to USE the slogan. That's where they may have jumped to conclusions.

Then, later in the article, they acknowledged that some experts said that companies will register a trademark or slogan just to keep their competitors from using it.

intermodal64

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Hmm . . .
In honor of Bob Six: "We really move our widget for you!"

Motorhussy

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:42 pm

How can this in any way be true when there is so much of the world they don't fly to?

Quoting catiii (Reply 78):
So if they want to TM this slogan in order to take it out of circulation so no other airline can use it, while not using it in any of their ad campaigns, the track record they have with decisions like this is pretty solid.

And for that very reason, they should not be allowed to. If they can't qualify it, and another airline can, what right should they have to that intellectual property? It sets a very dangerous competitive field if authorities let companies subvert the course of a game, in a way like paying off the ref.
come visit the south pacific

mayor

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Quoting Motorhussy (Reply 81):
And for that very reason, they should not be allowed to. If they can't qualify it, and another airline can, what right should they have to that intellectual property? It sets a very dangerous competitive field if authorities let companies subvert the course of a game, in a way like paying off the ref.

It would be just as difficult for anyone else to qualify themselves for this slogan. As mentioned, it's pretty much an opinion and not something you can substantiate with statistics.

BTW, how is that "INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY"?

Mortyman

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:40 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 82):
It would be just as difficult for anyone else to qualify themselves for this slogan. As mentioned, it's pretty much an opinion and not something you can substantiate with statistics.

Yes, but there are Airlines in the world who has operated longer, who has just as good / bad safety / accident record, just as well known and proabably just as much trusted as Delta ...if not more ...

ghifty

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:45 am

Couldn't they just go back to "Fly Delta Jets?" Or some slogan that plays into the symbolism behind the widget?

I also really doubt that this "trust" slogan is anything intended to be used BY Delta. It sounds too corny.

Quoting intermodal64 (Reply 77):

They certainly need to replace "Keep Climbing."

I always liked "Keep Climbing" and all the ads associated with it. To me, they lowered the customers expectation of air travel---acknowledging all of the bad parts of it--but then they state their commitment to work against it. No mention of onboard product, being a city's "hometown airline," being the largest carrier, having the highest JD Power ratings, because those don't matter. Like someone said above, customer service is variable.. by assuring the customer of a certain level of service, you put yourself into a death knell where you have to meet what you've set. Delta didn't do that. They only promised to work on improving, and by far they have.

Quoting intermodal64 (Reply 77):
From day one it has made me think of a bunch of crabs climbing on top of each other trying to escape a trap

Representative of the airline industry, no! MOL would be on top.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

Motorhussy

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:25 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 82):

BTW, how is that "INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY"?

Get your hand off it, you know full well what I meant. And BTW, IP is described as...

Quote:
Intellectual property (IP) rights are... Common types of intellectual property rights include copyright, trademarks, patents, industrial design rights, trade dress, and in some jurisdictions trade secrets.

mayor

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:29 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 83):
Yes, but there are Airlines in the world who has operated longer, who has just as good / bad safety / accident record, just as well known and proabably just as much trusted as Delta ...if not more ...

And every one of which would have just as difficult time of proving it as Delta would.

Quoting Motorhussy (Reply 85):
Quote:Intellectual property (IP) rights are... Common types of intellectual property rights include copyright, trademarks, patents, industrial design rights, trade dress, and in some jurisdictions trade secrets.

Very good.......all of those are things that can be registered with the trademark, copyright or patent office, which is what DL is doing. I'm sure that office doesn't go into proving that it's true or not (if provable)....all they do is register it so it can't be used by anyone else.

RyanairGuru

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:44 am

Which they stole from Pan Am

Not really "stole" ... QF started using it in 2008, almost two decades after PanAm's liquidation. Intellectual Property doesn't exist in perpetuity.

Quoting mayor (Reply 86):
And every one of which would have just as difficult time of proving it as Delta would.

And we have a winner: NO airline should use this TM.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ASFlyer

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:59 am

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer...OA20140621203238#docIndex=0&page=1

Turns out, the U.S. Patent Office didn't see fit to allow Delta to TM this tagline. Delta has six months to appeal. Can't see what could change the Patent Office's mind but you never know I guess.

BA0197

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:05 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 88):
Turns out, the U.S. Patent Office didn't see fit to allow Delta to TM this tagline. Delta has six months to appeal. Can't see what could change the Patent Office's mind but you never know I guess.

Nice to see that they have rejected this trademark. A proper response for an untangable quality.

mayor

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:39 am

Not that DL can't use the slogan (IF they wanted to), they just can't trademark it and it's just too vague for anyone that would want to use it.

ASFlyer

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:38 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 90):
Not that DL can't use the slogan (IF they wanted to), they just can't trademark it and it's just too vague for anyone that would want to use it.

Of course they can use it (if they wanted to), but so can any other airline, simultaneous to Delta using it if they wanted to. It's just a descriptive term, and subjective at that.

airplaneboy

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:18 am

If everyone wants to rave about how great DL is doing *now* and label them as the best airline the world (or in America), how about we include metrics like whether or not an airline has been successful on their own (i.e. no bankruptcy). If this was the case, Alaska and Southwest would be the 2 best examples- the latter of which has had 41 *consecutive* years of profitability. And both of which are the only 2 major deregulation era US carriers to not have filed for bankruptcy. THAT'S impressive. Not the merger of two bankrupt airlines which used redundant and archaic bankruptcy laws to become "the world's most trusted airline." Love Delta's uniforms, love their impressive network- but they didn't get there on their OWN.

Motorhussy

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:14 pm

BA used, for many years, The World's Favourite Airline slogan which they were able to both qualify and quantify.

TVNWZ

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Having it rejected may be very usefull to Delta. Rejection of a mark as just being discriptive also sets presidence for any other airline or travel related company from using the phrase. It also does not prohibit Delta from using it, but others may too. We don't know Delta's intent and it could easily have been to counter someone else. And this may have effectively done that.

We'll see if Delta appeals.

Viscount724

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:25 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 87):
Which they stole from Pan Am

Not really "stole" ... QF started using it in 2008, almost two decades after PanAm's liquidation. Intellectual Property doesn't exist in perpetuity.

Yes, but copying such a well-known slogan doesn't show much originality.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos