flyaa757

UA And DL Typeface Inconsistencies

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:01 pm

I've noticed that the font sizes used by both DL and UA are inconsistent.

Compare all DL fleet types acquired from Nw - the titles are smaller! Eg D95 vs 717/M88/M90.

UA has a similar issue. The font stretched and oversized on 767s and 777s looks absurd as compared to the 737s and 757s.

Why???

steex

RE: UA And DL Typeface Inconsistencies

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Quoting FlyAA757 (Thread starter):
Compare all DL fleet types acquired from Nw - the titles are smaller! Eg D95 vs 717/M88/M90.

In the case of DL, it has nothing to do with DL vs. NW. Note that there is no difference between pre-NW and pre-DL 757s and there is little difference between the look on the A320 and 737 families.

It is DL policy not to have the logo or DELTA name across an aircraft door, which forced relatively small versions to be used on some planes. This is most evident on the 332 where the logo/name is squeezed in between L1 and L2. They chose to keep the look consistent with both 330 models even though the 333 has more space between the doors.

Tigerguy

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:41 pm

There was a time not too long ago when UA planes were going about in three different liveries. I say we take what we have now and call it a win.
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

UALFAson

Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:05 am

UA has a similar issue. The font stretched and oversized on 767s and 777s looks absurd as compared to the 737s and 757s.

That's your opinion, and one I happen to disagree with. It's all about proportionality. I think if they were to use the same typeface size on the 67s and 77s as they did on smaller narrowbody aircraft, it would look too small. Why does the typeface size need to be the same across all uses anyway?
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

mayor

Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:55 am

Frankly, I think the font size should be adjusted, according to the size of the aircraft, BUT they didn't ask me....  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

philvardon

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 pm

I assume that what you're really talking about is the relative proportions of the logo/lettering compared to the rest of the fuselage of a given aircraft. I was confused by the title of the thread as a 'typeface inconsistency' would really mean that different typefaces were being used i.e. Times New Roman vs. Courier etc. As most major companies either license a specific typeface, or have their own created, the actual typeface/font won't be changing between aircraft.
As regards to size of lettering - clearly some changes have to take place. He size of lettering applied to an 737 or A320 would look far too small on a 747 or A380. Conversely the size for an A380 would be far too large for narrow-bodies aircraft. A lot of companies lay down very specific ways that their logo and typeface is used, this does often include the positioning and proportions.
Of course they don't always get it right!

VC10er

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Delta, United, American as well as ALL majors globally would have used a firm like my company LANDOR, to develop a digital guideline for the usage of all identy elements. Often we will design the entire livery on the primay aircraft the airlines often choose. (Sometimes, while the A380 is a star ac in the fleet, if there are 10 of them but 85 777-2/300's, we will start primary design and BRANDING on the 777). When I think back to when we did BA and Cathay we created the design off of the 747, then when the 777 arrived we had to adapt what was designed on a 747 to a long tube. Elements are sized, proportioned and arranged to look the best on that particular aircraft model WHILE still maintaining as much integrity as possible. Each "BRANDING" eg "UNITED OR DELTA" is then sized best for that ac. The BRAND font is created by hand almost 90% of the time, sometimes a whole new alphabet/font is created for menus and website. Or, we select the font that best complements the core IDENTITY. One case I can think of where the airline brand used a regular font for it's brand name "titles" was the previous 1991 Continenental, which used a font I dislike (as a Creative Director) called Perpetua. I have never liked it, even the globe because I know exactly how it was created using new features in Adobe Illustrtor at the time. To me, CO looked like a 100% computer designed with no human crafting. All the new liveries today are designed on the computer, but it doesn't have to look like that. LANDOR did Singapore, Thai and Alitalia over 40 years ago, and while the elements have been digitized and designs updated, the core still look hand crafted- or had an idea first then executed by a machine. One reason I belong to the "Rescue the TULIP" club.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

FWAERJ

Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:50 pm

When boarding a DL Connection CR7 operated by EV right after the merger of EV and XE, I noticed a sticker over the old "Operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines" titles that said "Operated by ExpressJet". However, it was in UA's (sCO) creamier shade of white and with the wording typeset in UA's post-merger corporate font (FF Clan) as opposed to DL's (Whitney).

It looked way out of place.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

N1120A

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:10 pm

It looks wrong because the terrible sCO livery is so bare up there and was designed to have a longer title. Remember that the CO planes would say "Continental Airlines." It would look a lot better if they had United Airlines or United Air Lines spelled out.

Quoting Tigerguy (Reply 2):
I say we take what we have now and call it a win.

Not a chance. The Hairnet is awful.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ThePinnacleKid

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
t looks wrong because the terrible sCO livery is so bare up there and was designed to have a longer title. Remember that the CO planes would say "Continental Airlines." It would look a lot better if they had United Airlines or United Air Lines spelled out.

No they didn't. The sCO aircraft said "Continental." That said, Continental is longer than United which is why it does in fact look so... well... awkward. It was also a reason to not stay with the original proposed sCO font of "United" post merger as originally proposed.
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

kann123air

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Quoting Tigerguy (Reply 2):
There was a time not too long ago when UA planes were going about in three different liveries. I say we take what we have now and call it a win.

Couldn't agree more.   
Going for great

UA444

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Quoting ThePinnacleKid (Reply 9):
It was also a reason to not stay with the original proposed sCO font of "United" post merger as originally proposed.

Oh my god. That was so incredibly awful. Worse than what they have now. The fact they were originally going to go with that shows just how little they care. The freaking "U" in United was an upside, lower case "n".

http://www.underconsideration.com/br...es/united_continental_logo_det.gif

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
Not a chance. The Hairnet is awful.

Ain't that the truth. Always was. A shame both UA and CO's Saul Bass logos were replaced by this turd

[Edited 2014-06-24 12:55:48]

BC77008

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:24 pm

The UA globe is now one of the most iconic airline logos ever in the entire world! Certainly one of the most storied!
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

ADent

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:16 am

DL Example:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peachair

UA Example:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gordon Gebert Jr

mayor

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:32 am

Quoting ADent (Reply 13):

In the DL example, it looks the same because it's the same size (roughly) aircraft. I'm guessing that's what you were going for, there.

The UA livery and font (especially the font) makes it look like a temporary livery, subject to being changed, any day.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

SkyTeamTriStar

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 1):
It is DL policy not to have the logo or DELTA name across an aircraft door, which forced relatively small versions to be used on some planes. This is most evident on the 332 where the logo/name is squeezed in between L1 and L2. They chose to keep the look consistent with both 330 models even though the 333 has more space between the doors.

The reason behind this? Just curious...

Viscount724

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:09 am

Quoting SkyTeamTriStar (Reply 15):
Quoting steex (Reply 1):

The reason behind this? Just curious...

When the door is open, part of the name or logo disappears.

That can occasionally cause embarrassment, as Airbus discovered at an airshow appearance of the A340-600 prototype which had "LONGER LARGER FARTHER FASTER HIGHER QUIETER SMOOTHER" on both sides of the fuselage.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Propfreak

They should have left that emergency exit on the right side closed.

ThePinnacleKid

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:47 pm

http://prntd.tumblr.com/post/4409512...ashups-mergers-other-bad-decisions

Go to #10 on that list (whether you agree with what the author stated, it's a great progression of the logo of UA from merger announcement to today.

Quoting UA444 (Reply 11):
That was so incredibly awful.

YES it was. While I am not a fan of the half-a$$ effort UA/CO put into the new company identity, at least they fixed that part... sort of.... My biggest gripe with the resulting sUA font UNITED current logo... UNITED is smaller than the logo and centered... W.T.F. Over?! They should have at least made "UNITED" sized to be same height as the Death Star Logo.

Perhaps an even better site with the UA logo merger idea and an odd Saul Bass reincarnation of the Continental "meatball" for the merged company as a proposed idea....

http://blog.pixellogo.com/logo-brand...erge-and-launch-a-new-logo-design/

[Edited 2014-06-26 06:53:15]
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos