Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jgw787
Topic Author

Hong Kong Airlines "No Putonghua" Protest

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:58 pm

In response to the 18 hour passenger sit in and for the annual July 1 demonstrations. Seems like a few of the crew members were not happy with the way HK Airlines handled the situation.
Article from South China Morning post
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...age-no-putonghua-protest-after-sit

CXA330300

RE: Hong Kong Airlines "No Putonghua" Protest

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:35 pm

There's a much wider anger in Hong Kong right now over the gradual creep of Putonghua over Cantonese (which is the primarly official form of Chinese in Hong Kong and the overwhelming majority language) coming in from Beijing. This protest is certainly tied to that.

I do know that there was some irritation when KA has skipped the Cantonese-language announcements on Mainland China flights. AFAIK CX continues to use Cantonese first on all flights.

[That said the history of Cantonese-Putonghua language politics gets pretty messy pretty quickly; there are many reasons Guangdong, HK, and Macau are allowed to continue using Cantonese in many official venues. In addition, the level of Putonghua proficiency even in mainland Guangdong outside of SZX is quite low.]
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

B2443

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 1):
In addition, the level of Putonghua proficiency even in mainland Guangdong outside of SZX is quite low.]

It's not low at all. You would have no problem communicating in Putonghua in Guangzhou and its surrounding areas. Of course SZX is indeed special.

747WanSui

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:09 am

I do wonder if these crew members will really follow through with their threatened action, or if they are simply seeking attention...

I would like to ask those crew members: what will you folks do with passengers who do not know enough Cantonese to have a conversation in that language?

With respect to the proficiency level of Mandarin in Guangdong province, I think it is more accurate to say that people who are younger and/or reasonably well-educated will generally be proficient in Mandarin, while people who are older and/or less-educated are probably not proficient. As such, you could probably get by with Mandarin in most urban areas in Guangdong, but in rural areas you might need an interpreter.

[Edited 2014-06-24 23:10:31]

[Edited 2014-06-24 23:15:20]
Long live the Boeing 747!

B2443

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Now HX officials are saying this is simply not true. They had not received any change requests and therefore no change will occur.

CXA330300

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:27 pm

Quoting B2443 (Reply 2):
It's not low at all. You would have no problem communicating in Putonghua in Guangzhou and its surrounding areas. Of course SZX is indeed special.

Compared with the rest of China, it is still somewhat lower than other "dialect provinces." You wouldn't have a problem, but you would still be more likely to run into a problem.
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

jgw787
Topic Author

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Quoting 747WanSui (Reply 3):
I would like to ask those crew members: what will you folks do with passengers who do not know enough Cantonese to have a conversation in that language?

I think that's the point of the "demonstration" : to make people frustrated because they are frustrated.
It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't do it but instead use Cantonese first and act annoyed/surprised when
the passengers speak Mandarin.

Interesting note while we are talking about Cantonese usage.
In SF, a good amount of Chinese speak both Cantonese and Mandarin but generally people use Cantonese/traditional CHN writing for everyday tasks. There are even dual Canto/Mando public immersion schools for K-8. Kids start in K with all Cantonese classes and end in 8th grade with all Mandarin classes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos