Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

allrite
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread Part 100

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:19 am

"And they've done it at last. The Australian Aviation thread has reached its century, the bat is high in the air."

Well, bats fly, as do aircraft.

And so it seems does my wheelie bin in this wind, judging from the sounds outside.

Anyway, back to aviation. In the last thread we discussed:

* 223 Qantas 767 and 747 informed they are surplus to requirements
* Some may be retrained and relocated for 737 pilots ops out of ADL and A380 in MEL
* Insane spur of the moment bookings
* Is Qantas forcing European destinations via LHR again rather than DXB?
* A Google Balloon
* VA continues to operate a damaged ATR for a further 13 flights
* Will Qantas replace early model 737s?
* 5J start selling MNL-SYD flights
* ADL QF Q400 rotations
* Etihad may take a stake in MH
* NZ ups stake in VA to maximum limit
* Qantas increases MEL-LAX frequency to 11 per week over summer
* Does Qantas need an Asian hub?
* QantasLink to cease DRW-GOV-CNS. Can other airlines make DRW-CNS work?
* Which aircraft types are right for Qantas (as usual)?
* Inaugural EY AUH-PER to be operated by an A346
* JAL delays the 787 on NRT-SYD again
* ACCC takes JQ and VA to court over hidden fees
* Fog in PER causes problems. EK 777 flight diverted to ASP.
* QF cut frequency to AUK, stop direct flights from ADL.
* Will Qantas take surplus Blue1 717s?
* Can NZ registered planes fly Australian domestic?
* From September A330s will replace B763s on the SYD-HNL route. A mix of A333s and A332s will operate services to SIN and CGK.
* QF offers Sydney Connect to passenger from South America to Asia
* More stuff but I have an appointment right now sorry!

Don't forget we have a new (though rather quiet) Google+ community. You will need a Gmail account to join, just private msg me. Also the Australian Aviation Forums if you are interested in having a chat outside the scope of this site.
I like artificial banana essence!

EK413

RE: Australian Aviation Thread Part 100

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:32 am

You beat me to it allrite!

Here's a short summary of what was also discussed in Australian Aviation Part 99...

Australian Aviation Thread Part 99 (by allrite Jun 5 2014 in Civil Aviation)

* REX interests in Vincent Aviation's Saab 340s and will they take over the Narrabri route?
* A.netters last minute get away trips.
* QF & VA officially twitter the love.
* VA media attention vs QF media attention.
* QF A330 fleet replacement?
* QF12 A380 diverts into BNE due to mechanical issues 17th of June.
* NZ increase their stake in VA to the maximum limit of 25.9%
** QF officially opens renovated LAX Lounge.
* QF to operate additional SYD-SCL services from November to February.
* QF cutting frequency to AKL and handing over to JQ. ADL will also be gone for JQ.
* VA cancel order for 9 x B738's (due to MAX order?)
* New QF93/94 timings are being loaded from July.
* From July direct flights from SYD/MEL/BNE to KTA will be cut, along with QantasLink B717s between ADL and KGI. Also in July QF will recommence services between SYD and HTI.
* QantasLink will also replace the last of the Alliance operated F100 flights in QLD with its own B717s and Q400s.
* From September A330s will replace B763s on the SYD-HNL route. A mix of A333s and A332s will operate services to SIN and CGK.
* Removal of QantasLink Q400 flying on the MEL-ADL-MEL route from August.
* Qantas offers stopover accommodation in SYD for South American customers travelling to Asia.
* EK temporarily downsize one of its three daily flights from Perth, EK425/424, from a Boeing 777-300ER to a smaller 777-200LR between October and March.
* QF to operate SYD-DFW daily services in December & January
* QF opens new Business a Class Lounge in LAX
* Qantas pushes back new Los Angeles First Class lounge to 2015

Enjoy the journey!

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

RyanairGuru

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:18 am

Quoting allrite (Thread starter):
223 Qantas 767 and 747 informed they are surplus to requirements

I think you missed an operative word   It took me a while to figure out what you were referring to, as last I checked the fleet wasn't that large!

From the last thread:

Quoting EK413 (Reply 188):
What are your thoughts?

It can't be any worse than the last one. That lounge was a disgrace, and all three carriers should have been ashamed of themselves.

As an observation, the "Californian-inspired design elements", or whatever bs phrase they use, mean that the QF and NZ lounges appear to be very, very similar. It's a shame one or both didn't try and be a little more creative.

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 200):
If it's anything like the Sydney one

I think it will be, given that MEL is closely styled on SYD. They hit on a winning combination there.

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 192):
I also think that improvements to increase utilisation of the fleet and the move to create more seasonal routes are smart moves

Absolutely, I think that this is a really smart strategy and it's good to see a bit more outside-the-box thinking at QFi

Quoting qf002 (Reply 193):
There appears to be a lack of vision.

I'm not so sure. For the first time in 12 months I can sense a degree of momentum back in the business, especially with developments such as seasonal adjustments that should make the carrier more aggressive.

Quoting EK413 (Reply 190):
What is surprising is that having apparently shared market sensitive information with employees there has not been, up until 1130 this morning eastern time, a notification under continuous disclosure rules to the ASX. (Note below that Qantas says Mr Joyce was quoting market consensus, not offering guidance.)

I have very little respect for the author in question at the best of times, but this statement is repulsive. He glosses over the significant difference between market expectations and management guidance in order to suggest that Joyce is acting in a manner inconsistent with his continuous disclosure duties arising the Corporations Act - i.e. he is implying that Joyce's behaviour is illegal. While he notes that this was market expectation rather guidance, the sentence is cleverly constructed in such a way to imply that this is an excuse for the aforementioned improper behaviour, rather than - you know - a rational expectation for the lack of disclosure. Utterly appalling journalism.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

allrite
Topic Author

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:34 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 1):

Here's a short summary of what was also discussed in Australian Aviation Part 99...

I like your summary better!

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 2):
I think you missed an operative word

Whoops! Was in a bit of a hurry during a break.  

EK413

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:08 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 2):
It can't be any worse than the last one. That lounge was a disgrace, and all three carriers should have been ashamed of themselves.

Any images of the previous lounge? I just tried googling but no luck.

Quoting allrite (Reply 3):
Quoting EK413 (Reply 1):

I like your summary better!

I had my summary all ready to go lol...

Hi A.Netter's,

So here we are a CENTURY of Australian Aviation!

I'm honoured to be kicking off Australian Aviation - Part 100 and the true highlight would be the N.S.W 8 Year Drought finally over!!! Go the Blues!

& then I had seen you posted already  

EK413

TN486

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:39 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 4):
I'm honoured to be kicking off Australian Aviation - Part 100 and the true highlight would be the N.S.W 8 Year Drought finally over!!! Go the Blues!

As I am an AFL tragic, I am so happy he did (beat you) LOL 
On a different note, congrats to all for making the century, make the good times last folks.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

Bluebird191

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:24 am

Thanks to QFVHOQA for the month when JQ pulled out of the OOL-PER route - my memory failed me, so thanks  
Quote:
JQ cancelled OOL-PER in October 2013. I doubt it would come back. As Bluebird191 said, PER pax can easily travel to SE Asia for much of what OOL has to offer.

I'm also curious about SydScott's post from the last thread.

Quote:
After a few weeks off the board, this little article nabbed my interest this morning:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...eshare-a-boost-20140625-3arxk.html

I'm not sure if it could be a lost in translation moment but according to China Southerns Vice President of Marketing "However, Mr Zhou said, the airline planned to buy a stake in Qantas as part of its growing relationship with the airline"

I think that's the first time anyone from China Southern has confirmed their much talked about but unconfirmed desire to buy a stake in QF. From a strategic standpoint it certainly makes sense from China Southerns point of view. It will be interesting to see if, or how, it takes shape.

Is this the old news about CZ looking at aquiring a stake in QF that we heard of last year but for all intents and purposes being rehashed to make it look new, or is this CZ still saying "yes, we are still interested in buying a stake"? Would be quite interesting to see what comes of this - if it happens, we could see QF A330's flying out of SYD and MEL to both PVG and PEK, leaving CZ for the Australian routes out of CAN. It might just also mean CZ may just add Australian flights from their other hubs or focus cities like Chongqing, Urumqi, Hangzhou, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Wuhan or Zhengzhou, but admittedly it's likely wishful thinking on my part for some major expansion by CZ into Australia.

EK413

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:28 am

Quoting TN486 (Reply 5):

Go the Swans lol...

Would seem switching off all electronics during takeoff and landing will be something of the past very soon...

Qantas, Virgin Australia edge closer to 'gate-to-gate' gadgets

Qantas and Virgin Australia passengers are a step closer to using their smartphones, tablets and e-book readers on Australian flights from the moment they reach their seat until leaving the aircraft.
A new bulletin issued by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) paves the way for airlines to allow the use of 'portable electronic devices (PEDs) more broadly than the cruise phase of flight.'
The 20-page Airworthiness Bulletin is designed to help airlines "asses the suitability of an aircraft" for the use of PEDs along the same lines as those already adopted by many US and European airlines.
Travellers wouldn't be able to make or take phone calls, fire off text messages or check their email, but 'read-only' devices like iPads and Kindles could be used for the entire duration of a flight.
This means that Qantas passengers could tap into Q Streaming from gate to gate, without interruption, while Virgin Australia guests could enjoy an early start to movies on the BoardConnect service.

Read more: http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-virgi...=flipper&utm_campaign=home-flipper

Good news considering takeoff and landing is the moment the best video footage can be captured  

Qantas have released their revised Tasman service schedule.

QANTAS NW14 Auckland Service Changes

QANTAS from 25OCT14 is reducing Melbourne – Auckland and Sydney – Auckland service, as the oneWorld member reduces operation by 7 and 8 weekly flights, respectively. Planned schedule as follow.

Melbourne – Auckland Service reduces from 21 to 14 weekly
QF151 MEL0715 – 1255AKL 73H D
QF155 MEL1840 – 0020+1AKL 73H D

QF152 AKL0655 – 0905MEL 73H D
QF154 AKL1700 – 1910MEL 73H D

Sydney – Auckland Service reduces from 35 to 27 weekly
QF143 SYD0950 – 1505AKL 73H D
QF145 SYD1055 – 1610AKL 73H D
QF147 SYD1655 – 2210AKL 73H D
QF149 SYD1900 – 0015+1AKL 73H x6

QF140 AKL0615 – 0750SYD 73H D
QF142 AKL0815 – 0950SYD 73H D
QF144 AKL1400 – 1535SYD 73H D
QF146 AKL1620 – 1755SYD 73H x6

Source: http://airlineroute.net/2014/06/25/qf-akl-nw14/

EK413

[Edited 2014-06-25 01:07:03]

VHVXB

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:30 am

Not sure if it has been posted but here are the retimed UA flights commencing at the end of October.

San Francisco – Sydney eff 26OCT14 Operational schedule changes from SYD (eff 28OCT14)
UA863 SFO2230 – 0835+2SYD 777 D
UA870 SYD1430 – 0915SFO 777 D

Los Angeles – Sydney eff 26OCT14 Operational schedule changes from SYD (eff 28OCT14)
UA839 LAX2230 – 0840+2SYD 777 D
UA840 SYD1130 – 0620LAX 777 D

EK413

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:40 am

I've just read Air Austral (UU) discussion thread and it reminded me of QF's financial position.

Air Austral surprised the world after announcing a better than expected financial performance in FY2014. After heavy losses in FY2012 (€ -87 million) and FY2013 (€ -52 million) the airline is back in black with a net profit of 5 million euros. The airline managed to reduce operating costs by 11.2% and increased load factors across its fleet by 10.4%.

Air Austral Back In Black (by KarelXWB Jun 23 2014 in Civil Aviation)

EK413

ZK-NBT

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:12 am

Revised LAX-MEL schedules starting September 23rd.

MEL 0950 LAX 0710
LAX 2250 MEL 0735

One hour later ex MEL from Sunday October 5th due day light saving.

NW schedule effective October 26th.

MEL 1155 LAX 0710
LAX 2250 MEL 0940

LAX-JFK has been slightly retimed to allow MEL-LAX to connect both ways, quite tight not much room for delays.

qf2220

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Taking a stroll down nostalgia lane, check out what we were talking about in 2007

Australian Aviation Thread (by 777ER Feb 23 2007 in Civil Aviation)

There are some common names there, but some names that have dropped off as well. Some similar topics and some topics that have fallen into the annals of history. Interesting reading nevertheless!

EK413

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Quoting qf2220 (Reply 11):

Wow, a lot of interesting quotes in the very first Australian Discussion Thread...

777ER
Takeover target Qantas Airways today released an earnings forecast for fiscal 2008 in a bid to appease major shareholders who believe a $US7 billion ($NZ10 billion) takeover bid for the airline is too low.

Qantas said it expected profit before tax of about $A1.23 billion ($NZ1.4 billion), which it said was the average of analyst forecasts ranging from from $A975 million to $A1.5 billion.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3993940a13.html

VHVXB

Etihad has started it service to SYD codeshare with QF

Quoting Aussie_ (Reply 96):
errr, where is the Qantas codeshare? No such codeshare has been announced... not YET anyway!

some more info between the codeshare between EY and QF
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...ory/0,20867,21456788-23349,00.html

How time flies, QF no longer codeshare with EY (big mistake)...

Qantas crew in bid to restrict takeover

Quote:
QANTAS pilots will today attempt to impose significant restrictions on the $11billion takeover of the airline by asking the Federal Court to rule the carrier's Jetstar International subsidiary is operating unlawfully

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...ory/0,20867,21286518-23349,00.html

Virgin pilots in threat to strike

Quote:
DISCONTENT among 565 Virgin Blue pilots has reached boiling point as they consider calling their first strike since the airline's inception, over stalled negotiations about pay and working hours.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...ory/0,20867,21286519-23349,00.html

It's really interesting having a read of the past lol... How things really changed...

EK413

Sydscott

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:32 pm

Quoting Bluebird191 (Reply 6):
Is this the old news about CZ looking at aquiring a stake in QF that we heard of last year but for all intents and purposes being rehashed to make it look new, or is this CZ still saying "yes, we are still interested in buying a stake"?

The only reason I posted it was because I think that's the first time an article is actually quoting someone from China Southern saying the words. It appears to be a new article about China Southern touting the success of its new codeshare arrangement with QF and wanting to extend them so I assume it's a recent quote and not a rehash. Who knows with the state of journalism these days?!

Would be quite interesting to see what comes of this - if it happens, we could see QF A330's flying out of SYD and MEL to both PVG and PEK, leaving CZ for the Australian routes out of CAN. It might just also mean CZ may just add Australian flights from their other hubs or focus cities like Chongqing, Urumqi, Hangzhou, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Wuhan or Zhengzhou, but admittedly it's likely wishful thinking on my part for some major expansion by CZ into Australia.

Realistically I doubt any changes are happening. What would be interesting to know is the codeshare volumes QF are putting through CAN and whether or not that's cannabilising HKG. (And if so to what extent) None of that sort of data would be publicly available so hopefully QF will give us some guidance............

Quoting EK413 (Reply 7):
Would seem switching off all electronics during takeoff and landing will be something of the past very soon...

For most of us I don't think it'll make any difference............................. 

qfvhoqa

Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:01 am

Would be quite interesting to see what comes of this - if it happens, we could see QF A330's flying out of SYD and MEL to both PVG and PEK, leaving CZ for the Australian routes out of CAN. It might just also mean CZ may just add Australian flights from their other hubs or focus cities like Chongqing, Urumqi, Hangzhou, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Wuhan or Zhengzhou, but admittedly it's likely wishful thinking on my part for some major expansion by CZ into Australia.

EU carriers have rushed to serve secondary & tertiary Chinese cities but there's been no pot of gold waiting for them. I don't believe there's enough high yielding long-haul traffic to Chinese cities outside PVG/PEK. CAN survives mostly due to CZ's hub but otherwise doesn't have a lot of premium demand.
I doubt CZ would try to fly direct from Australia to anywhere other than CAN, as geographically it is well positioned for most connections into China.
As for QF serving SYD/MEL-PVG/PEK due to CZ ownership - I don't see it. CZ would likely prefer connections over their CAN hub, and QF costs would be too high. Chinese routes don't have a problem with loads, but yields can be in the toilet.

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 13):
Realistically I doubt any changes are happening. What would be interesting to know is the codeshare volumes QF are putting through CAN and whether or not that's cannabilising HKG. (And if so to what extent) None of that sort of data would be publicly available so hopefully QF will give us some guidance............

IIRC the QF-CZ codeshare was only for selected cities, probably to avoid a clash with their MU codeshares over PVG. QF has no codeshares out of HKG so I'm not sure how many interline bookings they send to CX?

Thai77w

Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:19 am

Thai are reducing capacity on TG471/72 in and out of SYD from late October until early 2015 by introducing 2 class 777-300 aircraft on the route.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/thai-airways...rst-class-downsizes-sydney-flights
Aircraft types I've been on: PA31,Q300,AT75,AT76,717,733,738,739ER,763,772,77E,773,77W,788,789,744,319,320,332,333,346,359,380

Sydscott

Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:25 am

Quoting qfvhoqa (Reply 14):
IIRC the QF-CZ codeshare was only for selected cities, probably to avoid a clash with their MU codeshares over PVG. QF has no codeshares out of HKG so I'm not sure how many interline bookings they send to CX?

As far as I understood they weren't codesharing to these cities with MU anyway. The CZ code officially added some dots to the route map that QF would have been previously served by dropping people onto CX or Dragon services and interlining them through. Hence I'd be interested to know how they're going on these cities and how much extra traffic CZ is putting onto QF services. It will be interesting to see how QF chooses to grow the relationship with CZ because they offer convenient 1 stop access to virtually all of the Southern and Central parts of China through CAN so I can only see QF further expanding what they do. In return, other than securing chinese tour group bookings (which could turn out to be lucrative for the Jetstars of the world anyway), the other interesting thing to know is how much technical and operational knowledge is being sold to CZ. That was clearly one of their objectives in tieing up with QF because they wanted access to QF Intellectual Property in virtually all areas. So it will be fascinating to see what comments there are about what has been exchanged in this area.

VHVXB

Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:11 am

THAI has updated its Bangkok – Sydney schedule for 2014/15, which sees 3 weekly TG471/472 service operated by Boeing 777-300 (2 Class aircraft), starting 26OCT14, replacing Boeing 747-400 (3 Class aircraft).

TG471 BKK0815 – 2135SYD 773 246
TG475 BKK1820 – 0740+1SYD 744 D

TG476 SYD1000 – 1525BKK 744 D
TG472 SYD1705 – 2235BKK 773 357

EK413

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:38 am

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 13):
For most of us I don't think it'll make any difference.............................

lol, I take it I'm not the only one  

EK413

qf2220

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 16):
the other interesting thing to know is how much technical and operational knowledge is being sold to CZ. That was clearly one of their objectives in tieing up with QF because they wanted access to QF Intellectual Property in virtually all areas. So it will be fascinating to see what comments there are about what has been exchanged in this area.

Are there any press announcements/media reports or other public domain information suggesting that this is at all part of the deal? That sounds a lot like a form collusion which in most competition regulators books needs approval before it can happen.

Sydscott

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Quoting qf2220 (Reply 19):
Are there any press announcements/media reports or other public domain information suggesting that this is at all part of the deal? That sounds a lot like a form collusion which in most competition regulators books needs approval before it can happen.

It was part of the press releases when the codeshare was announced. And I don't mean the sharing of specific route information between QF and CZ, but more CZ learning things like how QF trains their pilots, QF's systems for managing long haul flights etc. All of these sorts of things QF would have decades of operational knowledge on all of which would be very valuable to Chinese Airlines which are not as technically experienced as QF. So it's not collusion that would need approval from a regulator but is something QF can monetise and teach.

Quoting EK413 (Reply 18):
lol, I take it I'm not the only one

Checkout my youtube, on my profile, for my lack of co-operation in this particular area.  

RyanairGuru

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:01 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 16):
the other interesting thing to know is how much technical and operational knowledge is being sold to CZ. That was clearly one of their objectives in tieing up with QF because they wanted access to QF Intellectual Property in virtually all areas

Either you know something that we don't, or you are going to have to tread very carefully with what you are insinuating here. Care to share you reasoning?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

qf2220

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:43 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 20):
http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/med...china-southern-sign-codeshare-deal

I dont see anything more than this

"The two airlines have also agreed to investigate other areas of potential cooperation, including pilot training assistance from Qantas and cargo opportunities."

Its vague enough to be dismissed if nothing came of it. The cargo option I would think would be like a cargo codeshare, not much more, and the pilot training just that. I dont read more into it than that.

Or am I missing a source?

RyanairGuru

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 pm

Quoting qf2220 (Reply 22):
The cargo option I would think would be like a cargo codeshare, not much more

Don't forget that Qantas (via Atlas) is one of the largest cargo airlines between PRC and USA. I'm surprised they don't talk about it more, but it is a very important market for QF. Tapping into the CZ network would help them to further develop their presence on the PRC end. Also, CZ need something to help fill those A380s to LAX, so this could be a good opportunity for them as well.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Sydscott

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:58 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 21):
Either you know something that we don't, or you are going to have to tread very carefully with what you are insinuating here. Care to share you reasoning?

QF and CZ potentially doing this is a reflection of what is actually happening in other commercial spheres between Australian Companies and Chinese Companies. Between, for example, the Commonwealth Bank and Bank of Hangzhou and Bank of Qilu. The reason these two banks wanted CBA to invest in them was because CBA brought knowledge and expertise which they could learn from in building their businesses, and more importantly, their business systems and processes. Learning from a real business that has a track record of doing something and them imparting knowledge and experience to you is a basic tenant of these relationships and was something the Chinese banks wanted from their investors.

The CZ/QF relationship could have, according to public statements from both sides, the potential for this sort of thing to happen if CZ wanted it to. It doesn't require regulatory approval nor does it require public announcements. (Just like the CBA or ANZ haven't publicly announced exactly what knowledge they're sharing with their respective Chinese Associates) It would lead to a deepening of ties between the two airlines at a Board/Management level.

None of the above requires me to tread carefully, I'm not alleging anything or insinuating anything and none of the above requires any sort of public announcement to be made by either party that it's happening. In fact CZ would be stupid if it didn't take the opportunity to learn what it can in the areas they believe QF do well and QF would be just as stupid not to let them and charge them $$$ for the privilege. None of the above requires the ACCC or any other authority to approve it either.

Bluebird191

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:02 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 23):
Tapping into the CZ network would help them to further develop their presence on the PRC end. Also, CZ need something to help fill those A380s to LAX, so this could be a good opportunity for them as well.

From what I've read CZ need to impove their flight service standards and have been taking steps to do so. Otherwise CZ's price to LAX is extremely competitive from what I can see with a mich better arrival time into LAX if you are starting your American adventures with some time there. The only issue I've seen is that I can't even get a price via a dummy booking via their website as it's virtually guaranteed to give me an error message every time I try.

a320fan

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:05 am

Just heard on radio of a power problem at SYD preventing JQ VA and TT from checking in PAX. This is going to cause delays through the whole country later today won't it?
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

allrite
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:22 am

Quoting a320fan (Reply 26):
Just heard on radio of a power problem at SYD preventing JQ VA and TT from checking in PAX. This is going to cause delays through the whole country later today won't it?
Sydney's Terminal 2 has no power due to issues with a substation.

TN486

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:59 am

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbu...gin-discovery-prompts-global-alert
This article refers to engine bolt problems on the E190. I thought all heavy maintenance on VA ac was done in Brazil? If my thought is wrong could someone please assist me with the facts? cheers.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

tullamarine

Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:11 am

Quoting TN486 (Reply 28):
I thought all heavy maintenance on VA ac was done in Brazil

I think VA E190 heavy maintenance is done in Portugal but this problem seems to have been identified in line maintenance.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

RyanairGuru

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:12 am

Quoting tullamarine (Reply 29):
I think VA E190 heavy maintenance is done in Portugal

The E190 is a notorious dog of an aircraft, and another maintenance issue should not surprise anyone, but how the [email protected]@@ does VA get around grounding 9 aircraft and nobody notices?!?!?!?!?!?! If this was QF it would have been front-page news for several consecutive days.

More to the point, since when has SYD-BNE been a "regional route"  
Worked Hard, Flew Right

TruemanQLD

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:51 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 30):

This and the ATR problem... yet barely a whisper in the media. Hmm...

On a not-as-serious note, can VA hurry up and repaint all there aircraft in the new livery or at least paint the nose cones red on the airlines still in the old livery? There is more than one aircraft going around in the red-scheme with a white nose and it looks ridiculous.

Also given QF fudges the books to make JQ look good and gives them unlimited cash/aircraft    can someone please inform me how much longer VA intends to let TT keep going in its current format? Their fares are consistently lower than JQ's, often substantially (thank god JQ price beats so JQ becomes cheaper by 10%). They have been around for long enough now that they shouldn't have to offer $60 fares as standard on BNE-MEL (which they only fly 3 or 4 times daily) just to fill the aircraft. Is further expansion still planned for TT or will they stay as is until they can at least get close to being profitable?

EK413

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 pm

The E190 is a notorious dog of an aircraft, and another maintenance issue should not surprise anyone, but how the [email protected]@@ does VA get around grounding 9 aircraft and nobody notices?!?!?!?!?!?! If this was QF it would have been front-page news for several consecutive days.

Yet again a VA maintenance issue with zero attention from the media... Ain't that interesting... But wait a QF flight executed a go-around at SYD due to strong winds............. The flight landed safely on its 2nd attempt...................

EK413

qf2220

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 24):
QF and CZ potentially doing this is a reflection of what is actually happening in other commercial spheres between Australian Companies and Chinese Companies. Between, for example, the Commonwealth Bank and Bank of Hangzhou and Bank of Qilu. The reason these two banks wanted CBA to invest in them was because CBA brought knowledge and expertise which they could learn from in building their businesses, and more importantly, their business systems and processes. Learning from a real business that has a track record of doing something and them imparting knowledge and experience to you is a basic tenant of these relationships and was something the Chinese banks wanted from their investors.

QF's prior China experience through the DPEX aquisition was not a great one given they sold it subsequently. And lets not get into the JQ Hong Kong debacle.... Investing in China can be fraught with issues, not least linking up with a JV partner only to find the JV partner learning all your tricks and becoming your competitor, leaving you no avenue to compete.

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 24):
None of the above requires me to tread carefully, I'm not alleging anything or insinuating anything and none of the above requires any sort of public announcement to be made by either party that it's happening. In fact CZ would be stupid if it didn't take the opportunity to learn what it can in the areas they believe QF do well and QF would be just as stupid not to let them and charge them $$$ for the privilege. None of the above requires the ACCC or any other authority to approve it either.

With respect, youve made a statement that QF is selling intellectual property to CZ based on what looks like purely your opinion, I cannot find a confirming press release or article. You need to tread carefully to not create a fiction that we all then beleive is non-fiction. That has burned many of us many a time so we need to be careful!

Quoting EK413 (Reply 32):
Yet again a VA maintenance issue with zero attention from the media

A couple of days after the ATR issue was mentioned here, it appeared in SMH. Perhaps the Fairfax reporters havent yet read these boards to get the news to report!!

eta unknown

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Two QLD-Bali rumours this week:

OOL-DPS service to be announced?

Jetstar BNE-DPS 787x4/week to soon revert to daily A320 via DRW. Apparently the high capacity JQ configuration is too many seats to fill ex BNE.

bunumuring

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi all,
Having travelled extensively within China, China Southern is the best Chinese domestic airline in my opinion, followed by China Eastern with Air China a distance third. Shanghai Airlines was okay but is now just a boutique part of China Eastern and indistinguishable from them.
I have always flown to and from China with Qantas although once for variety I chose JAL via Tokyo and Osaka. Every flight has been a pleasure and I really enjoyed the aircraft (A330s) and service on board. Every flight has also been full or near-full. Well done QF!
If Qantas is to choose a Chinese partner to form much deeper relations with,I would hope it is China Southern. China Eastern just doesn't reach the same level at the moment. I know QF has arrangements with MU (including e contentious Jetstar HK) but expanded and deeper cooperation with possible equity investments would be better with CZ - again, just my humble opinion. Perhaps a Jetstar China way further down the track - with a red and silver colourscheme rather than orange, lol!
Qantas has tried Beijing flights and dropped them. Shanghai has been played with and fiddled around and now appears settled with the current level of service ex Sydney. I know the demand is there, but I also know that QF can't compete with the Chinese airlines if it chose to expand beyond Shanghai. I can see more Shanghai flights in the future and possibly a return to Beijing, but all the other cities now gaining Australian flights on Chinese airlines would not work with QF independently in my opinion, for the foreseeable future.
Keep smiling,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

RyanairGuru

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:41 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 35):
expanded and deeper cooperation with possible equity investments would be better with CZ - again, just my humble opinion

My concern with a partnership with CZ is that it is doubtful that QF would want to (or be able to) fly their own metal to CAN, and IMHO having QF metal to the partner hub is absolutely essential to not continuing to cede the entire market to CX. While they're improving fast, the Chinese carriers do have reputation issues, and a lot of people would choose not to fly CZ or MU when CX provide a fantastic alternative.

The dynamics of the Shanghai market are sufficient that QF could make a stab at MEL-PVG, and even BNE-PVG and PER-PVG, to feed their partner's hub, whereas if they move forward with CZ they are stuck with putting their passengers on [inferior] metal. HKG beckons.

I personally don't perceive the quality gap between MU and CZ being large enough, especially on domestic flights, to warrant choosing one over the other if there are other relevant factors.

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 35):
Perhaps a Jetstar China way further down the track

I have no doubt that they are angling in that direction for the future. It should be a gold mine.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

TruemanQLD

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 34):

Two QLD-Bali rumours this week:

Jetstar BNE-DPS 787x4/week to soon revert to daily A320 via DRW. Apparently the high capacity JQ configuration is too many seats to fill ex BNE.

There is currently ~16x weekly 737-800 flights between BNE and DPS with GA/VA which is ~2620 seats a week and JQ then went and added 1340 a week which is over a 50% increase. However, JQ was already flying via DRW and surely would have known the route potential before they started... they have only been on the route 2 months so I don't think they will give up just yet. I don't see how switching it to OOL will help as its almost 100% aimed at Aussies travelling to Bali, as opposed to the current OOL services (NRT especially, but also SIN and KUL) that are more a mix of passengers.

bunumuring

Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:01 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 36):
I personally don't perceive the quality gap between MU and CZ being large enough, especially on domestic flights, to warrant choosing one over the other if there are other relevant factors.

Hi mate,
Key word: 'personally'. I do personally perceive the gap. Never had a bad flight domestically on CZ but I have on MU. I have found CZs cabin crew to be polite and efficient. I have found MUs cabin crew, on more than one flight, rude and inefficient. Comparing cleanliness of aircraft and on time performance? CZ hands down again. A cancelled flight from Xian to Shanghai due to an unserviceable aircraft was dealt with brilliantly by CZ. A cancelled flight from Beijing to Shanghai was a mystery on MU - it just vanished from the departures board and it was left to me to investigate and 'rebook' a flight. Don't even mention Air China. I actively avoid them at all costs. Never had even a mediocre flight on them... Yes, only 6 domestic flights but never again!
I agree about Hong Kong, and the need for QF to use its own metal into China. I wish QF would expand as you and I both suggest, but I can't see much happening. I have two relatives that fly to China regularly for business. One only ever flies CZ from Melbourne to CAN and then on domestically to wherever, while the other only ever flies Cathay Pacific and Dragonair via HK from Sydney, mainly to Beijing and Guangzhou. Both say they would prefer to fly QF but say it is too difficult with connections. Both are top tier QF frequent flyers.
And Jetstar China? Yes mate, what a wonderful thing if it was allowed... And operated efficiently!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

qfvhoqa

Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:14 am

Quoting qf2220 (Reply 33):

Quoting EK413 (Reply 32):
Yet again a VA maintenance issue with zero attention from the media

A couple of days after the ATR issue was mentioned here, it appeared in SMH. Perhaps the Fairfax reporters haven't yet read these boards to get the news to report!!

Funny you say that, look what was on yesterday's Fairfax sites - Faulty bolts put Virgin planes on alert.
I notice a lack of hysteria associated with the article that would have been overwhelming had this been about QF.

Boof

Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:39 am

Quoting qfvhoqa (Reply 39):

With due respect to all of you that seem to think QF attracts hysteria in the media, have a think about what happened with QF when they were on the front pages. An engine blew badly on an A380, an oxygen cylinder blew the side out of a 747, a couple of 747's in a row blew engines (SFO, SIN), a 717 hit the deck that hard during landing that it was almost a write off, and I can go on and on... Common denominator here is a that all of this stuff occurred with pax on board.

VA on the other hand had an ATR that was reported in the media after a bird strike found issues relating to a prior flight, and 9 Ejets grounded after routine maintenance found a problem. Unlike Ansett's 767 grounding at Easter this wasn't during a busy time and no passengers have been disrupted.

It's not that QF get the rough end of the stick with the media, it's that VA are kissed on the d*ck by a fairy as everything happens without pax on board. Only when someone is prepared to stand in front of a camera and say they thought they were going to die does it become newsworthy.

Cheers,
Boof
Bring back Virgin Blue!

bunumuring

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:43 am

Interesting trivia...
In the current AFR/BRW 'Rich 200' issue I have just read, there are lavish ads for
- Gulfstream 650ER 'the world draws near' - page 24
- Falcon 7X 'fastest selling Falcon ever' - page 10 of the supplement
- Embraer executive jets 'more choice for the journey' - page 21 of the supplement
I guess they know their target audiences well ...
Shame the Rich 200 list doesn't list what biz jets they fly... I would love a few Aussie registered BBJs and ACJs to photograph rather than all those oh-so-common Gulfs and Globals! Come on Clive, order something exotic!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

Thai77w

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:11 am

More to the point, since when has SYD-BNE been a "regional route

"The Embraer 190 is slightly smaller than a Boeing 737 and is used by Virgin to service regional and metro routes across the country, including Brisbane to Sydney, as well flights to Christmas Island and the Cocos Islands."

It says it's used on regional AND metro routes...

jeez some people need to stop being so precious over QF. Qantas is the national airline, of course it's going to be on the front page when someone farts on board.
Aircraft types I've been on: PA31,Q300,AT75,AT76,717,733,738,739ER,763,772,77E,773,77W,788,789,744,319,320,332,333,346,359,380

IndianicWorld

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:47 am

With what aircraft, and with what market in mind? Its an outbound route so I don't see it happening.

It wouldn't surprise me really.

Its been a considerable increase in capacity to fill, and with only a smaller fleet of wide-bodied aircraft, JQ must really use its resources wisely. If its found to be not working as planned, rectifying that quickly would be a good move.

TruemanQLD

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:27 am

Quoting Boof (Reply 40):
With due respect to all of you that seem to think QF attracts hysteria in the media, have a think about what happened with QF when they were on the front pages. An engine blew badly on an A380, an oxygen cylinder blew the side out of a 747, a couple of 747's in a row blew engines (SFO, SIN), a 717 hit the deck that hard during landing that it was almost a write off, and I can go on and on... Common denominator here is a that all of this stuff occurred with pax on board.

VA on the other hand had an ATR that was reported in the media after a bird strike found issues relating to a prior flight, and 9 Ejets grounded after routine maintenance found a problem. Unlike Ansett's 767 grounding at Easter this wasn't during a busy time and no passengers have been disrupted.

It's not that QF get the rough end of the stick with the media, it's that VA are kissed on the d*ck by a fairy as everything happens without pax on board. Only when someone is prepared to stand in front of a camera and say they thought they were going to die does it become newsworthy.

No one is disputing those articles deserve front page 'hysteria'... the point people are making is that for a period (it has died down a bit now) any QF aircraft that had a minor fault (even a faulty light) would warrant the news, whereas Virgin requires a serious incident to even get page 50! Also, I would hardly call the ATR incident minor, that had the potential to be a serious accident and shows severe failure in the VA maintenance program somewhere along the line.

Also, QF gets the rough end of the stick when it sends maintenance overseas (such as the 747's), however no one bothers to mention that ALL VA heavy maintenance is done overseas and QF does the majority (737, 767, A330 at least) in Australia. Or when QF reports bad results, its big news, when VA posts even worse results, its not barely mentioned.

So QF definitely does get the rough end of the stick.

CXfirst

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:13 am

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 44):
Also, QF gets the rough end of the stick when it sends maintenance overseas (such as the 747's), however no one bothers to mention that ALL VA heavy maintenance is done overseas and QF does the majority (737, 767, A330 at least) in Australia. Or when QF reports bad results, its big news, when VA posts even worse results, its not barely mentioned.

Well, that really comes down to history. QF is that big national airline that has always done their maintenance here in Australia. Now, that they move it overseas, it results in jobs being cut, and the reduction of safety is really just an excuse to why QF shouldn't move overseas.

VA on the other hand never cut hundreds of jobs for maintenance, as they never had any significant heavy maintenance done in Australia.

Same goes for results. When QF posts bad results, it is bad news, as that leads to job cuts. When VA posts bad results, it isn't as bad, as VA have large overseas backers that don't intend to start cutting jobs here, as they still see VA as building.

-CXfirst

bunumuring

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:18 am

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 44):
So QF definitely does get the rough end of the stick.

Hi mate,
I agree with this. Tall poppy syndrome anyone?
All Australians should be proud of the marvelous airlines we have based here. They are safe, secure and provide fantastic service overall with good prices generally and lots of travel options available. Staff at all airlines should hold their heads high with pride, even if some upper management make contentious/debatable/brave/foolhardy (you choose) decisions. Yes, the media have smelled blood in the water at Qantas, and attacked accordingly, but remember they also applauded and elevated to hero status - rightly - the crew of the QF A380 over Singapore who managed and thus prevented potentially one of the worst civil aviation accidents.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:28 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 38):
Key word: 'personally'

Of course, everyone has different perceptions   That's why I included that word, so it didn't sound like I was being too emphatic in dismissing your opinion!

I have found MUs cabin crew, on more than one flight, rude and inefficient.

I'm sorry to hear that, but personally couldn't fault them.

Don't even mention Air China

No arguments, although somebody else might beg to differ  
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Razza74

Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:59 am

Evening all

Perth Airport has released it's "preliminary draft master plan 2014" for public comment

http://www.perthairport.com.au/master-plan.aspx

IMHO it comes across as a bit light and fluffy, the level of detail in comparison to the 2009 master plan is a bit lacking.

The 3rd runway gets a mention, as to when it will be built to quote Perth Airport
"Perth Airport estimates that the new runway project will take approximately five years to complete, with the runway being commissioned into operation towards the end of the decade, subject to actual demand during the period"

Runway 06/24 gets an interesting mention as it is proposed to extend it to 3000m and then eventually close it as it can not be used simultaneously with 03/21 or 03L/21R 03R/21L when the 3rd runway is built.

No mention on the timing for the installation of CATIII ILS on 03/21 either

Lots of pretty pictures, crappy maps (I may be biased as a Cartographer)

Razza74
Ahh the joy of living under a flightpath

VH-BZF

Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 31):
Also given QF fudges the books to make JQ look good and gives them unlimited cash/aircraft

I think that the ASX and authorities would have the senior managers in hot water if they did that. QF group have 2 big brands that both feed revenue into the business and Borghetti loved it so much he's done the same at VA.

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos