Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727tiger
Topic Author

Dirty Jobs' Mike Rowe's Commentary On The CRJ700

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:01 pm

Posted last night to his Facebook page:

The woman standing at the back of the plane is about to piss her pants. I know this because five minutes ago she crawled over me and said, “I’m sorry to disturb you Mr. Rowe, but I’m about to piss my pants.” Sadly, the kid across the aisle beat her to it. No doubt about it. The whole plane smells of urine, and it’s not coming from the bathroom. It’s coming from the kid.
We’re on a CRJ700 - a Canadair Regional Jet flying from San Francisco to Kansas City. It’s a three hour flight, but it feels a lot longer. Why? Because the CRJ700 was designed by The Marquis de Sade. There’s only one bathroom on board, and it’s all the way in the back. One bathroom for 74 people. On a three-hour flight that was delayed on the tarmac for 35 minutes.
Seasoned travelers will immediately understand the implications, and behave accordingly. But most of my fellow passengers do not possess the institutional knowledge required to endure three and a half hours on a CRJ700. At the airport, they drink their breakfast beverages like it was any other day, enjoying their lattes and orange juice with impunity. Then they blithely board this long and skinny Tube of Despair with no sense of how a solitary toilet can conspire with a bad floor plan to humble the strongest among us. Once settled, many avail themselves of the beverage service, cruelly offered by a smiling flight attendant who must have surely known what would follow. Poor bastards.
It began with lots of anxious head-turning - the way it always does when people realize they’re on a plane with only one crapper located far behind them. People needing relief look worriedly toward the back of the plane to see if the restroom is occupied. Invariably, it is. So they stay seated, but they keep looking back every five seconds. The effect is interesting. As more heads turn, more people realize their own need is identical to the need of those around them - and getting worse. So a line forms in the aisle. Not good.
Soon, people realize the inevitable - we’re all going to need to urinate before landing - but not necessarily at the precise moment of our own choosing. Thus, the fundamental certainty upon which all continence depends is suddenly compromised, and a series of unusual but pressing questions begin to form in the mind every traveler.
When exactly, does one get up and join the line? Does one wait until one needs to go, or does one wait in a line of ever-changing length? What is the proper protocol? Are those seated closer to the restroom obligated to remain seated if they see someone getting up in front of them? Do women and children deserve some kind of deference? If so, how much?
These questions are important, because standing in line to pee on the CRJ700 is a journey in personal humiliation. The aisles are so narrow it’s impossible to remain upright without invading the personal space of those still seated. (If you zoom in to my seat-mate, now standing in the back, you’ll see that her ass now occupies the space reserved for the face of the man still in 17C. That guy, or whatever’s left of him, is now crammed into the lap of the stranger next to him, who is no doubt trying to jam himself through the window, happy to pay the ultimate price for a little fresh air.) Point is, waiting in line to pee on a CRJ700 is actually worse than pissing your pants, as evidenced by the peaceful countenance of the soggy kid, sleeping across the aisle.
Anyway, the situation really devolved an hour ago, when the line grew to fifteen people. Everyone who hadn’t yet peed was fumbling through a personal calculus involving time, space, bladder capacity, prior liquid intake, arrival time, and basic self-control. Those in line were the most desperate, and no doubt counting the minutes to relief. Alas, they forgot to factor in the big unknown - turbulence. As we flew through some very heavy chop, the Captain demanded everyone take their seats. Desperate people who had been waiting in line - some for a half hour - had no choice but to follow orders. Mutiny was out of the question, as the chop would have made hitting the toilet - even from a seated position - all but impossible.
The agony in the plane was palpable, and when the safety belt sign was finally turned off twenty minutes later, it was like a scene from Pamplona. The stampede toward the stern was immediate and chaotic. Good manners and decorum were forgotten, as once civilized people scratched and clawed their way over the young and helpless, fighting backwards for a few private moments in a defiled outhouse 37,000 feet in the sky.
I have pictures, but out of respect, I’m not going to show you. After yesterday’s post, I’m worried about sharing as much as I already have. I will however, show you the inside of the briefing card, which the flight attendant strongly advised we refer to during the mandatory safety briefing of the CRJ700. In it, you’ll see all sorts of helpful illustrations regarding what to do in the event of an emergency.
Alas - there are no helpful tips for how to politely pee all over yourself and your neighbor.
Mike

PGNCS

RE: Dirty Jobs' Mike Rowe's Commentary On The CRJ700

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:11 pm

Mike Rowe is a poet and a man after my own heart. He hit this one out of the park! Thanks, Mike, and thanks for posting, 727tiger!

DashTrash

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:42 pm

He put my thoughts from several years ago flying DEN-BHM on a 700. It especially hit home doing SBA-DEN-BHM, both on 700s. The airplane in fine for that length of flight if a forward lav is installed and the FAs aren't Nazis about coach pax using it. With an aft lav only, it's proof that stupid exists.

Bobloblaw

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 2):
With an aft lav only, it's proof that stupid exists.

There is nothing wrong with the plane. It is UAL scheduling/planning that puts these things on routes they were never intended to fly.

Tigerguy

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:50 pm

I don't know about anybody else, but as I silently read, the whole thing was in his voice, which made it even funnier
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

PGNCS

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:52 pm

Quoting Tigerguy (Reply 4):
I don't know about anybody else, but as I silently read, the whole thing was in his voice, which made it even funnier

I had the exact same visceral reaction Tigerguy!  

Skydrol

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Mike Rowe's post is both entertaining, and dead on with the horrible lav to passenger ratio in some airplanes. We have had topics on exactly this in the past, but I will mention his experience on the flight with one toilet for 74 passengers can only begin to describe the situation on (Air Canada's) Embraer 190 with one lav for 88 economy pax. Yes, I am aware there is an additional lav in the front "reserved for the exclusive use of business class passengers" according to boarding announcement, and strictly enforced by FAs. So there might as well be just one toilet for 88 people. Absolutely unacceptable for all of the reasons Mike wrote about. Apparently airlines expect passengers to remain seated for their safety in case of unexpected turbulence. How is this possible with:

Quoting Mike Rowe:
Point is, waiting in line to pee on a CRJ700 is actually worse than pissing your pants, as evidenced by the peaceful countenance of the soggy kid, sleeping across the aisle.
Anyway, the situation really devolved an hour ago, when the line grew to fifteen people. Everyone who hadn’t yet peed was fumbling through a personal calculus involving time, space, bladder capacity, prior liquid intake, arrival time, and basic self-control. Those in line were the most desperate, and no doubt counting the minutes to relief. Alas, they forgot to factor in the big unknown - turbulence. As we flew through some very heavy chop, the Captain demanded everyone take their seats. Desperate people who had been waiting in line - some for a half hour - had no choice but to follow orders. Mutiny was out of the question, as the chop would have made hitting the toilet - even from a seated position - all but impossible.
The agony in the plane was palpable, and when the safety belt sign was finally turned off twenty minutes later, it was like a scene from Pamplona. The stampede toward the stern was immediate and chaotic

What happens when first in the line of 15 pax in the aisle takes 20 minutes for a BM? Everyone stands for 20 minutes, and the line-up grows in numbers. FAs don't care, and refuse to alleviate the situation by making the vacant forward lav accessible to clear the line-up to promote safety and alleviate misery. And I have witnessed desperate people being turned back when they try to go forward.

The EMB 190 layout is terrible. The forward lav should have been located between business class and economy to serve both without the need for peasants to pass through the monarchy.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

SuperSix2

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:01 pm

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 6):
without the need for peasants to pass through the monarchy.

Lol, love it. It's true though..

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:24 pm

In July 2013 toilet broke and mx couldn't fix on a IAD-DTW Regional Jet. Pax were told to use bathroom before boarding the plane.
All posts are just opinions.

MesaFlyGuy

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Quoting dtw2hyd (Reply 8):

In July 2013 toilet broke and mx couldn't fix on a IAD-DTW Regional Jet. Pax were told to use bathroom before boarding the plane.

A few months ago one of the lavs broke down on a JetBlue E-190 before boarding a JFK-BUF flight. Same thing; the pilot came out to the gate area and told the pax to prepare accordingly.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

commavia

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:32 pm

Now that's funny ...

max999

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 3):
There is nothing wrong with the plane. It is UAL scheduling/planning that puts these things on routes they were never intended to fly.

It can also be UAL's and the express carrier's fault for configuring the plane with only one bathroom, especially when you consider the long flights that they are being sent to fly.

The same plane can be compared to other carriers, such as AC's CRJ700 with 2 bathrooms. http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/crj705.html

[Edited 2014-06-25 07:59:08]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

daviation

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:17 pm

I'm embarrassed to admit that I wear Depends on flights now. I haven't had the need to use them yet - I try not to drink too much beforehand, although you're supposed to keep yourself hydrated in flight - but the 'nappies' are my insurance policy. When you're a male in your 50s, nature sometimes calls very suddenly and urgently. Kudos to the inventor of Depends!
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

MesaFlyGuy

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Quoting daviation (Reply 12):

That's actually a smart idea. Like you said, nature calls.  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

DashTrash

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:22 pm

I never said anything was wrong with the airplane itself. Flying anything with a single lav more than an hour or so is an exercise in torture.

Goldenshield

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Quoting max999 (Reply 11):
It can also be UAL's and the express carrier's fault for configuring the plane with only one bathroom, especially when you consider the long flights that they are being sent to fly.

Just United. They were ordered/configured to their specs, and the routes they are flown on are of UA's choosing.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Comedians joke that only an act of congress will fix things. They, of course, are right. Congress (or Parliament) will eventually address this. Airlines will either provide restroom or pay outlandish fines. Then miraculously they will find the least expensive option.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

LOWS

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:26 pm

No, the CRJ-705 is a CR9 with the same capacity as a CR7.

175erj

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:42 pm

No, its not the express carriers fault. Its solely United's who sets the aircraft configuration. Just like the recent conversion to add 70 seats into the 700's. They took out the forward closet. Now, nowhere to hang jackets for 'first class' and their is absolutely no storage for service items. Not to mention, most of the time the aircraft is now weight restricted due to the addition seats.

[Edited 2014-06-25 08:44:27]

[Edited 2014-06-25 08:45:02]

max999

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:50 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 17):
No, the CRJ-705 is a CR9 with the same capacity as a CR7.

Thanks for the clarification!

Regardless of the model, UAL or the express carrier's (not sure who) is still responsible for bathroom configuration. They want them on long flights, it should be configured more properly to fit the mission profile.

[Edited 2014-06-25 08:51:29]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

kann123air

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:22 pm

This seems in many ways worse than UA's ERJ on OKC-IAH. At least for single travelers on the ERJ, there is a one-seat row.

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 15):
Just United. They were ordered/configured to their specs, and the routes they are flown on are of UA's choosing.

Well AA's XNA/OKC/IAH-LAX is just about the same duration, all on a CRJ... So it's not just UA that does this.
Going for great

United1

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:23 pm

AA and DL configure their CJ7's with a single lav and use them on longer routes as well so this certainly isn't a UA specific issue. I do agree however that there should be a second lav onboard larger RJs just to prevent issues like this.

At least the E170/175s have the second lav onboard....
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

NickLAX

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:27 pm

I've flown AC's larger E190's and E170's - they DON'T care if coach pax use the front lav - you may get a remark if the back lav is empty but NEVER have I seen an FA turn someone away. On longer than 2 hour 30 min flights more than one lav is essential, alas that means 2-4 less seats... good luck getting the bean counters to agree to that one.

The CRJ's and the E14x's other carriers fly are abysmal for anything over 2 hours 30

Goldenshield

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Quoting kann123air (Reply 20):
Well AA's

I'm sure they do, but it was outside the context of the quoted statement.

Quoting United1 (Reply 21):
AA and DL configure their CJ7's with a single lav and use them on longer routes as well so this certainly isn't a UA specific issue

DL used to have two on theirs until a few years ago with the configuration change.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

MIflyer12

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:48 pm

I have flown plenty of CR7s and don't recall the restroom line ever stretching to more than four people... Might Mr. Rowe have employed some hyperbole to comedic effect?

N62NA

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:26 pm

Quoting 727tiger (Thread starter):
this long and skinny Tube of Despair

Quite true!

par13del

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Quoting daviation (Reply 12):
I'm embarrassed to admit that I wear Depends on flights now.
Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 13):
That's actually a smart idea. Like you said, nature calls.

It may be a smart idea but as someone also in my 50's I am letting both of you know right now, I absolutely positively refuse to buy Depends on Board and a pox on your house for letting the airlines know that they may be leaving money on the table after their precious bag fees 

Now for some other light reading

DashTrash

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 24):
I have flown plenty of CR7s and don't recall the restroom line ever stretching to more than four people... Might Mr. Rowe have employed some hyperbole to comedic effect?

I have little doubt. I've seen maybe 6 at a time lined up, but in that little aisle, there's no room for eve one person to wait.

I propose the airlines have a "take a number" device on the 700s to keep lines from forming.. One of the FA's could get on the PA and say "Now serving no. ___)......

Also sucks for the guys up front if they have to hit the head mid flight. Personally I'd use a water bottle standing where the jumpseat is....  

dumbell2424

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:30 pm

refuse to alleviate the situation by making the vacant forward lav accessible

Where exactly is that forward lav on the UA CR7s?  

TVNWZ

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:35 pm

I make sure I'm on empty every time I am in a regional jet of any nature. It is just several ways of torture either standing in line or in the seat next to the line.

United1

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Quoting dumbell2424 (Reply 28):
uoting Skydrol (Reply 6):
refuse to alleviate the situation by making the vacant forward lav accessible

Where exactly is that forward lav on the UA CR7s?  

His post was referring to ACs EMB-190s...
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

ridgid727

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 15):

But as you well know SkyWest Contributes to this as they are the operator of the aircraft and, because they agree to operate that specific configuration .

panova98

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm sure that UA has every intention in the world to farm out every last route it can to the regionals and the little planes. I doubt that lavatory issues have ever entered any of their decisions.

I do enjoy flying on the 9-seaters--the Cape Air C409s and the Sun Air Piper Navajos--no lavs whatsoever. Typically, they fly legs of less than an hour, but if UA ever hires them, look out!

And there's Great Lakes who's taking out many of the seats on their B1900s to get them down to 9-pax. I don't know, but will they keep the lavs? And, they do fly some legs that are a pretty good distance.

Just luv it!

DashTrash

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:12 pm

Quoting panova98 (Reply 32):
I don't know, but will they keep the lavs?

They don't have any to keep.

panova98

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 33):
They don't have any to keep.

Silly of me. I should have known that. Thanks for getting it right.

Tango-Bravo

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:11 pm

What type of routes were CRJ and ERJ regional jets intended to fly? Indeed UA (as well as AA, DL and others) have 'tortured' the definition of Regional Jet beyond recognition.

As a somewhat related aside to this topic, one of the more humorous FA announcements I have heard came on a Q400 flight (of 1.5 hrs block time) when the rather large male FA pointed out the location and rules for the one lavatory onboard, adding, "if you can, you may want to wait to use the restrooms in the terminal after we arrive...because the one on this aircraft has room for about two-thirds of a person."

[Edited 2014-06-25 13:30:45]

9w748capt

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:20 pm

While Rowe was no doubt spicing up his story a bit, there's little doubting the viability of such a story. Flew LAX-OKC on an AA CR7 last night, and it was an endless stream (no pun intended) of pax needing the lav. Was quite entertaining to see the look on F pax stroll up to the front only to find - no lav! - then trudge their way to the back. The "lav occupied" light at the front of the cabin is quite hard to see, and how many pax would know to use it anyway? And even if you do wait for indicator to go off, someone further back than you will win. Sucks all around. Thankfully the captain last night wasn't a nazi about the seat belt sign, otherwise it could've gotten bad.

prosa

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:27 pm

What happens when first in the line of 15 pax in the aisle takes 20 minutes for a BM?

It would be really, really horrible to be the next person in line.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

kgaiflyer

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:37 pm

Quoting Tigerguy (Reply 4):

Great essay.

With me, I was visualizing UA's new CR-7 route -- Washington-Dulles to Nassau Bahamas.
No -- it does not hug the coast and fly south to Florida.

So, I can see -- in my mind's eye -- a low altitude fly-by; a door opening, and a chamber-pot being emptied into the Atlantic.   

kgaiflyer

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 36):
Was quite entertaining to see the look on F pax stroll up to the front only to find - no lav! - then trudge their way to the back.

I don't know why I find that hilarious -- I guess I'm not well.   

S75752

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:42 pm

As I read that, I processed it mentally as though it was being read in his voice.

One day I will find out what such a long CRJ flight is like. And with what he had witnessed in mind, I pray that what bits of wisdom I myself have gained in the times I have travelled will serve well in preparing for it, and enduring it. Surely emerging from such a flight with ones sanity fully intact is a sign that you are a well seasoned and mentally prepared traveller (or able to sleep just in just about any conditions... the lucky ones)

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:03 pm

CR7s are pretty miserable on long flights, for this reason alone. Even if you don't need to use the lav, an aisle seat in the back half of the aircraft is highly obnoxious due to the queueing of people for the lav and rear ends forced into your face.

The 2-class factor makes it worse, if you get some people up in F who have been hitting the booze during the flight.

I've done 3 hour rides on CR7s before, no thanks.

N62NA

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 35):
What type of routes were CRJ and ERJ regional jets intended to fly? Indeed UA (as well as AA, DL and others) have 'tortured' the definition of Regional Jet beyond recognition.

My opinion: Anything that was previously flown by a medium to large turboprop.

skymiler

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:19 pm

There is a"common sense" factor that seems to be missing here .... and it also applies to the recent Jet Blue washroom incident on the taxiway.

I have had several flights recently when the either the gate staff or flight staff, (including on a couple of occasions the captain himself) politely informed us that due to turbulence, taxi delays, or other issues there would be very limited time to use washrooms once in the air and that they were freely available while at the gate. Many passengers took advantage of that fact.

I have also seen similar announcements when on a CR7, informing us of the limited washroom availability

Gate agents or flight crew can make simple appropriate announcements that cost nothing , and avoid negative press.

Am I missing something?
I love to fly, and it shows!

kgaiflyer

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:26 pm

Even more fun?

Burbank-Denver (848 sm) is still flown with a CR-2

So let's tally it up -- a cramped cabin; a single lavatory as in the CR-7, and *always* turbulence.

BWI5OH

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Although not a CRJ/EMB, I recall flying a Continental 737 where one of the rear lavs was out of service. Being the nosey one, I asked the flight attendant why. She opened the door, and EVERYTHING was black with soot, and some panels were melted. She said some moron was trying to cook meth in the lav, and it blew up. (Pre-9/11). So there was one lav for about 100 people.I couldn't help but giggle a bit...
"It's all fun and games until the cops show up"

Osubuckeyes

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:42 pm

Quoting BWI5OH (Reply 45):

Flew one WN from BWI-PHX on an evening flight back a few years ago with only one lav. We were unfortunate to not have known before selecting our seats near the back of the plane. There was a line of 7-10 it seemed like the entire time.

Goldenshield

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:55 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 42):
My opinion: Anything that was previously flown by a medium to large turboprop.

So, the L-188, DC-7, and Super Constellation. Great! Mission accomplished!

[Edited 2014-06-25 15:56:18]

MIflyer12

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 44):
Even more fun?

Burbank-Denver (848 sm) is still flown with a CR-2

UA has single-class, single-lav planes on routes a lot longer than that. Care for EWR-OKC, 1325sm into prevailing winds?

homer787

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:21 pm

I have heard many gate agents in DEN inform passengers that the regional jet has only one or in some cases no lavatory so they should plan accordingly. They also warn people that there will be no food on many of the flights as well. Once again, plan accordingly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos