Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

8herveg
Topic Author

Why Don't EasyJet Have A Bigger Presence At BHX?

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Is there a reason that EasyJet don't have a bigger presence at BHX? One of the main airports in the UK who don't have a low-cost airline like EZY operating from there, apart from to BFS and seasonal to GVA and GNB.

I know they used to have a Bmi Baby, but I thought EZY may have jumped at the chance as soon as they were gone? They have BE, but they are more of a regional airline which offers connections.

Surely EZY could do some routes to places like AGP, PMI, BCN, NCE, VCE, MXP, FCO, FAO etc.

Thoughts?

gkirk

RE: Why Don't EasyJet Have A Bigger Presence At BHX?

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:23 pm

BHX is a ZB and BE stronghold, and apparently quite an expensive airport to operate from. Also sandwiched between bases at LTN and MAN.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

8herveg
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 1):
BHX is a ZB and BE stronghold, and apparently quite an expensive airport to operate from. Also sandwiched between bases at LTN and MAN.

True, but BHX has millions (I don't know how many exactly!) of people living within 1 hour of the airport. Surely it could support a 3rd low cost carrier? ZB and BE are different types of airlines to EZY...

by738

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:29 pm

Im sure with their trials so far, they would have seen whether its worth their while. It appears not. Monarch will be the biggest reason I would have thought.

Humberside

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 2):
Surely it could support a 3rd low cost carrier? ZB and BE are different types of airlines to EZY...

FR are the 'third' low cost carrier, they also have a BHX base
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

jmc757

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Thread starter):
AGP, PMI, BCN, NCE, VCE, MXP, FCO, FAO etc.

I know you said "like" but taking those routes they are already served:

AGP: Monarch, Ryanair
PMI: Monarch, Ryanair, flybe
BCN: Monarch, Ryanair
NCE: Monarch, flybe
VCE: Monarch
MXP: flybe
FCO: Monarch, flybe
FAO: Monarch, Ryanair, flybe

All well covered. I doubt Birmingham's catchment could sustain a 4th airline on the routes that have all 3 without murdering yields for everyone, as well as diluting other bases too. Even MXP I think flybe is probably enough.

It was Monarch that capitalised on bmibaby's closure. Both at BHX and EMA. They opened EMA from scratch and increased their BHX base. They didn't even have the aircraft they leased in for the first season but it seems to have payed off.

EZY for some reason don't seem to do the Midlands. The BHX offering is minimal and they closed EMA (a base inherited from Go, although they kept it for some years after). As another post said, a BHX base (or even back to EMA) would probably dilute MAN, LTN as well as BRS. That said, there are some holes in the BHX schedule that EZY would be a good fit for (PRG, LIS to name 2).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos