CO777DAL
Topic Author

Small Plane Land On Dallas Freeway Rush Hour

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Watching Channel 4 news in Dallas and a Cessna 188 made and emergency landing on the 287 freeway ramp during rush hour. They said it may have been towing a banner.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrK4hI2CcAAEWnA.jpg:large
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

GSPSPOT

RE: Small Plane Land On Dallas Freeway Rush Hour

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:10 pm

How on EARTH would he/she find enough paved real estate during rush hour??
Great Lakes, great life.

CO777DAL
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Looking at the news from their helicopter , it appears that two cars may have been hit. They pilot was very lucky to find a spot to land.

CO777DAL
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:33 pm

So there a video of the landing. Looks like the initial touch down was in the median. Since it happened during rush hour, I bet there will be more video. Crazy how close it is to cars.

http://youtu.be/zMwDUQC6dhE

N766UA

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:37 pm

Very hard to tell with camera phones, but the prop appears to just be windmilling. Those geico banners seem like bad luck lately...

ikramerica

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:39 pm

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 2):
Looking at the news from their helicopter , it appears that two cars may have been hit. They pilot was very lucky to find a spot to land.

There's no flat land in texas other than a busy freeway where you endanger the lives of motorists? Landing on a busy freeway is the equivalent of swerving into oncoming traffic to avoid a deer in the road. You are risking the lives of others to potentially save your own, and I'm not sure I'm okay with that. Every time I read these stories about some single engine pilot putting down on a busy road, I'm not cheering the pilot...

Looks like he hit a bridge, too.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

N766UA

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:44 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 5):
Every time I read these stories about some single engine pilot putting down on a busy road, I'm not cheering the pilot...

Any time everyone lives, I am absolutely cheering him. If everyone walks away from a life/death situation, no harm no foul. That said, when I fly, I discount highways as emergency landing areas 99.9 times out of 100.

But yeah, Texas... seems like you'd have at least a giant concrete parking lot available to you.

flying_727

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:48 pm

There's no flat land in texas other than a busy freeway where you endanger the lives of motorists? Landing on a busy freeway is the equivalent of swerving into oncoming traffic to avoid a deer in the road. You are risking the lives of others to potentially save your own, and I'm not sure I'm okay with that. Every time I read these stories about some single engine pilot putting down on a busy road, I'm not cheering the pilot...

It appears he was attempting to land in the grass median, but overshot. Which can happen in an emergency. Can you please educate all of us pilots where you would have expected us to land? Since attempting to land on the grass median off the highway was not appropriate.
On ATA, You're On Vacation

usflyguy

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:55 pm

The link isn't working and a.net isn't allowing me to edit my post... please delete the above post. Thanks.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

N766UA

Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:07 am

Quoting flying_727 (Reply 7):
It appears he was attempting to land in the grass median, but overshot.

Yes it does, he took a nasty bounce and ended up UP an on-ramp. Lucky guy!!

That's gotta be a tough situation to be in. Knock on wood I haven't been there, but I spend plenty of time looking for good landing areas just in case, and they're harder to come by than you'd think. Even from 1000AGL it's hard to judge contours, hills, distance, etc.

Like I said, everyone walks, no harm no foul. I refuse to critique a guy in this situation.

burchfiel

Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:45 am

Landing on a busy freeway

That certainly does not appear to be what the pilot intended to do. That median looks to be much wider than many runways, and I'm sure the pilot was intending to land on the large grassy expanse between the highways, rather than the highways. For all we know the pilot shares your exact same feelings about 'landing on highway' stories.

cf6ppe

Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:34 am

My dear old dad* (1913-1994) used to say that any landing that you could walk away from was a good landing.
From the above photos appearances, this was a good landing. You can always fix bent metal, but ...

*Dad learned to fly in the early '30s and continued into the '80s.

jmw99ttu

Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:44 am

I grew up a mile or two from where this happened. Any land around there either has a house or strip mall on it, or is heavily wooded. Hats off to the pilot for not causing anymore damage, or loss of life.

Type-Rated

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:09 am

Every time I read these stories about some single engine pilot putting down on a busy road, I'm not cheering the pilot...

During private pilot training you are taught that in case there are no other smooth landing spots, use a road. Just watch out for power lines that may be strung over or adjacent to the roads.

Even large fields can be problematic due to the fact that the land may be furrowed and that could tear off your landing gear or flip the plane over resulting in a fire. And you don't want that. An some fields have fences relatively close together.

And finally, where has YOUR flight instructor told you to land in the event your engine fails? Uh-huh, I thought so.

Can you please educate all of us pilots where you would have expected us to land? Since attempting to land on the grass median off the highway was not appropriate.

Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

bchandl

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:19 am

There's no flat land in texas other than a busy freeway where you endanger the lives of motorists?

Someone has never been to the metro Dallas/Fort Worth area

Quoting N766UA (Reply 6):
But yeah, Texas... seems like you'd have at least a giant concrete parking lot available to you.

Show me a giant parking lot in a large urban area that is not loaded with cars during the day...

Ramming your plane into a bunch of metal boxes with gasoline in them is a smart way to turn yourself into a bomb.

Ideally you land with the traffic flow but if everyone lives, who cares how it went down.

Planes, bridges, cars and roads can be replaced.

hivue

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:41 am

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 3):
Looks like the initial touch down was in the median.
It appears he was attempting to land in the grass median,
Quoting Burchfiel (Reply 11):
That median looks to be much wider than many runways

That's not a median. It's a large grassy area in the middle of a big freeway merge. Looks to me like a perfect emergency landing site for a plane that size. He just overshot.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

migair54

Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:11 pm

Quoting cf6ppe (Reply 12):
My dear old dad* (1913-1994) used to say that any landing that you could walk away from was a good landing.

And if the plane can fly again it's an excellent one.

Problem with engine fails is the altitude, below 300-500 feets the margin for turns is quite small, around 90 degrees, any big turn will need a big nose down to keep the speed. So the chances are reduced a lot if it was flying low.

I think he did a good landing, material damage is the smallest problem.

skywaymanaz

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Highways are much safer to land on in an emergency than an open field. I'd probably freak out while driving if a plane barely missed me landing in front of me with traffic too. That said I'd be able to hit my brakes and let him land in front of me unless I was in a traffic backup already. It's not an ideal situation all the way around and doesn't always end well for the pilot either.

gatechae

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 14):
During private pilot training you are taught that in case there are no other smooth landing spots, use a road. Just watch out for power lines that may be strung over or adjacent to the roads.

I would think that as a hypothetical pilot, that I would choose to die in a mangle of wreckage than endanger innocent bystanders on a busy road.

Heavierthanair

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:52 pm

G'day

A tad more reverse thrust and this would have been a perfect landing   

Cheers

Peter
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955)

spudsmac

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Quoting gatechae (Reply 19):
I would think that as a hypothetical pilot, that I would choose to die in a mangle of wreckage than endanger innocent bystanders on a busy road.

Easy to make a generalization like that when you're safe and sound not in that situation.

I've got a decent amount experience (1500 hours in general aviation and 500 121 jet), but I can't ever say what I would do in anyone else's shows when I read about accidents/emergencies. I wasn't there and don't know what was going on and can't give much insight.

[Edited 2014-06-28 10:15:02]

747-600X

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Freeway interchanges often have huge (several acres) of open, nicely-maintained grassy areas. For a plane of this size, I'd say this was the perfect choice. Whether there were better options available is something we couldn't know without a very exact view of the plane's flight path and altitude at time of engine failure. In the mean time, judging from the video, it looks like he chose an uphill grassy area to put down. I can't think of a better choice.

Incidentally, had he turned into the flow of traffic and settled down between cars, I'm betting people would hit the brakes for him. Hell of a traffic jam, though...

rcair1

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:32 pm

Google earth is your friend.

Here is a view of the area he landed. The a/c ended up to the right of the little marker.
Not a lot of other choices here. There is a open space off screen to the NW (upper left), but it is quite a distance (~mile) - Oh wait - that is a lake.

rcair1

N766UA

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Quoting bchandl (Reply 15):
Show me a giant parking lot in a large urban area that is not loaded with cars during the day...

Haha I can't, I'm not from Texas. That's why I said *seems* like. Judging from the google earth pic, it sure looks like he picked the best place, especially considering your glide distance with a banner on is practically nil.

Then please, for at least your own sake, never take flying lessons and remain a hypothetical pilot for the rest of your life. You're obviously completely and utterly out of touch with reality.

Seriously, some of you people act like he did this on purpose. The guy's trying to make a living, something happens that's out of his control, and some of you are suggesting he is somehow disreputable for not killing himself. I mean, honestly, where would you rather he landed? Into an apartment complex? Would that make you happier? Because it sure looks to me like he picked not only the best place for himself, but the best place for others as well.

[Edited 2014-06-28 15:06:27]

Type-Rated

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Sometimes I wonder where these hypothetical pilots come up with some of this stuff.

Looking at the map, it looks like there weren't many choices. Where he did land looked pretty hilly. I would have landed on the freeway. Sure it would have created a traffic jam, but sometimes people just have to be more understanding about things like this.

In fact during my PP check ride I chose a freeway as an emergency landing spot during my check ride. The examiner had no problems with my choice whatsoever.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos