Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

2014 Small Community Air Svc Development Program

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:43 pm

That time of the year again when the DOT seeks proposals to hand out money as part of the Small Community Air Development (SCASD) program.

SCASD is meant to help communities enhance air transportation by providing temporary financial support.

Grants can be utilized to attract new air-service by establishing revenue guarantees, cost offsets, or marketing support. Additionally grant funding can be utilized to help retain or expand current service, plus for various airport facility upgrades in order to make them more attractive for air service providers.

For this years grants, due to the federal budget cuts the available award pool funding was reduced to $7.0 million down from $11.5 in 2013.

As in past years, the priority selection criteria the DOT shall consider includes:

o Air fares are higher than the national average
o The community provides a portion of the cost of the activity from local sources other than airport revenue
o Establish private-public partnership to facilitate new or improved air carrier service to the public
o Provide benefits to a broad segment of the traveling public, whose access to the national air transportation system is limited
o Grant will be used in a timely manner.

Applications are due to the DOT by July 31th.

-OST-2014-0113

=

I'll post application summaries in this thread as they become available in the next few weeks.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

AVLAirlineFreq

RE: 2014 Small Community Air Svc Development Program

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks for tracking this, LAXintl. It's always interesting.

FWAERJ

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:57 pm

I'll be interested to see if this year's grants are aimed more at hub routes or vacation ULCCs like G4. Both have their benefits, but I think that only hub routes should be considered because they maximize the potential of this limited pool of tax dollars. G4 is great, but it doesn't bring much money back into the local community like hub routes do.

Regardless, I can't wait to see what this year's applicants are. FWA is probably out for the season because we got the SCASD grant that brought us PHL last year, but I could see SBN making a run for DFW or IAH. Is TOL's grant from previous years still valid?
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

point2point

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:15 pm

With this year's anticipated entries, I'd be curious to see how many of these will involve F9, now that they have new ownership with Indigo.

The past few years it seems that a good bulk of requests involved F9 and DEN, even though a lot of these have either not been fulfilled, or F9 took the $$$$$, provided the service the time it needed to, and then dropped out. Although not on the top of my mind here, I think that maybe a couple of these survived. And this seems to be predominant from about 5-6 years ago, to last year. Then the F9-DEN apps shriveled a lot last year.

With Indigo expanding to CLE, and then IAD, as well as some other P2Ps, I have to wonder if they now have found better use of their planes, rather than chase after these grant $$$$$. This year will be the tell-all, I have a feeling.....

thegman

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:08 pm

You wouldn't happen to have updates on last year's grants?

Because according to that thread Del Rio, TX DRT was awarded some grant money and in conjunction with local money service was to be started to DFW, I think.

As of today, I have heard nothing more on this and I live in Del Rio! I really want air service because the drive to SAT and dealing with parking, or staying in a hotel the night before is definitely worth fares $150-$200 more than out of SAT.

ouboy79

Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 2):
Is TOL's grant from previous years still valid?

Until the end of the year.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:20 pm

Quoting thegman (Reply 4):
You wouldn't happen to have updates on last year's grants?

Because according to that thread Del Rio, TX DRT was awarded some grant money and in conjunction with local money service was to be started to DFW, I think.

As of today, I have heard nothing more on this and I live in Del Rio! I really want air service because the drive to SAT and dealing with parking, or staying in a hotel the night before is definitely worth fares $150-$200 more than out of SAT.

Indeed they did get $500,000 contingent on them finding a link to Dallas or Houston.

I suspect with all the upheaval in the regional scene neither a UAX partner, nor AE has had much time or interest to pursue the option.

The grant is valid for a 3-year period, so realistically, Del Rio has another year to find a willing carrier and then have the grant support a years worth of flying by that carrier.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:44 pm

So far state of Wyoming says 3 communities - Sheridan, Cheyenne and Riverton will be seeking grant funding about $1mil.

Official apps due by the 31st.

bjorn14

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:27 pm

What is CYS looking for. Don't they already have DEN and DFW.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

mhkansan

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 8):
What is CYS looking for. Don't they already have DEN and DFW.

DEN yes on ZK only. AA bit on CYS and linked it 1x daily to DFW and it didn't work out.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:18 pm

I hear of a few more cities internally working on the approval process to apply for this years grants -

- El Paso
- Laughlin/Bullhead
- Chattanooga

10 days away from applications arriving.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:04 pm

Official apps are due at the end of this week, bit in mean time I hear Victoria TX and Charlottesville, VA working on generating local matching fund commitments prior to the deadline in order to apply.

bjorn14

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:40 am

Interesting to see what ELP wants. CUN?

redzeppelin

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 9):

How does CYS not have DL service to SLC? It seems like a big hole considering they serve so many Wyoming airports from SLC (JAC, CPR, COD, GCC, RKS) and Cheyenne is the the biggest city in the state.

mtnwest1979

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 13):
How does CYS not have DL service to SLC? It seems like a big hole considering they serve so many Wyoming airports from SLC (JAC, CPR, COD, GCC, RKS) and Cheyenne is the the biggest city in the state.

I have thought the same thing for years. Even a EMB CYS-RKS-SLC would be better than flying all the way to DEN lol.

Or have a SLC-CYS-MSP run.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:26 am

First lot of applications have been uploaded by the DOT.

Here we go..

Mohave County Airport Authority (Bullhead City) AZ
Seeks $750,000 in Federal grant monies supplemented by $945,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions to serve as revenue guarantee, start-up cost offset and marketing assistance for proposed 3x weekly Frontier Airlines service to Denver.

City of Boise, ID
Request $700,000 grant award along with $407,500 local cash and airport in-kind contributions to aid recruitment of year-round hub air-carrier link in the Eastern US. Monies would be utilized as risk-abatement and marketing for such new service.
Delta Airlines has indicated its potential interest with service to its hub in Atlanta, or potentially New York as alternative utilizing large regional jet equipment.

MidAmerica Airport, IL
Seeking $200,000 Federal grant award with further $50,000 local contribution to further foster additional LCC routes to Florida and build upon the success Allegiant Airlines has achieved with its Orlando service. Monies would be utilized as marketing and fee waiver incentives for new LCC links to either Ft. Lauderdale, Punta Gorda or St. Peterburg regions.

Bozeman Yellowstone, MT
Requesting a grant in the amount of $750,000 with a community match of $855,000 to incubate new hub air service links to Southern US. markets, with service on American Airlines to Dallas/Ft. Worth being of highest priority.

Alamogordo, NM
Seeking $456,000 in grant funding supported by $150,000 local funds to aid with proposed air-service links to Dallas metropolitan region utilizing regional jets operating on minimum twice-daily basis.
Funds would be used to support a revenue guarantee along with marketing and promotion of such services.

=

Post more tomorrow.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Here is this mornings lot.

Ardmore Development Authority, OK
Seeking $400,000 grant award supplemented by $3.6mil in local funding required for airport and terminal improvements, along with start-up funding offset and local marketing monies for proposed Part-135 air service at Ardmore Municipal Airport with eye on establishment of Part-121 scheduled commercial air service in the future.

Chattanooga, TN
Desires $500,000 in Federal grant funding, supplemented with $300,000 in local contributions to aid in establishment of air service between Chattanooga region and the New York City. Funding would offer prospective carriers a revenue guarantee along with fee waivers and marketing/advertising assistance.

Knoxville, TN
Request $950,000 grant award, matched with $1.5million in local cash and in-kind contributions to help Knoxville McGhee Tyson Airport attract additional air carrier links to unserved hub airports from both existing incumbent and new-entrant low-fare airlines.. Funding would be available to such prospective carriers as cost offsets and to help finance local marketing initiatives for new routes.

Charlottesville-Albermarle, VA
Seeks $200,000 federal funding supplemented with $130,000 local contributions to aid with 2-year regional airport marketing campaign aimed supporting existing commercial air service at CHO.

Outagamie County (Appleton), WI
Desires $200,000 in federal grant funds supplemented by $132,000 local funding for airport facility improvements including design for airport automated parking facility improving public access and reducing future airport parking lot management expenses.

=

enilria

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 16):
Chattanooga, TN
Desires $500,000 in Federal grant funding, supplemented with $300,000 in local contributions to aid in establishment of air service between Chattanooga region and the New York City. Funding would offer prospective carriers a revenue guarantee along with fee waivers and marketing/advertising assistance.
Quoting LAXintl (Reply 16):
Request $950,000 grant award, matched with $1.5million in local cash and in-kind contributions to help Knoxville McGhee Tyson Airport attract additional air carrier links to unserved hub airports from both existing incumbent and new-entrant low-fare airlines.

The people in TYS seem much smarter in how they write their applications than their neighbors in CHA. NYC-CHA??? Seems like a long shot to me. I don't think EWR or LGA or JFK have a snowball's chance of sticking around even if they do get somebody to start the route...which will be a tall order.

RL757PVD

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:28 pm

There seem to be a ot of bigger dollar requests which is surprising since the funding is more limited than in years past.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

redzeppelin

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 15):
Bozeman Yellowstone, MT
Requesting a grant in the amount of $750,000 with a community match of $855,000 to incubate new hub air service links to Southern US. markets, with service on American Airlines to Dallas/Ft. Worth being of highest priority.

BZN has wanted this one for a while. But I really have to wonder about the chances of getting the grant. BZN has great service, and has already had a lot of growth the last few years, so I would doubt that the application will receive high priority, but then again it might win by being viewed as having a high probability of success. Would be nice to see some AA tails flying over my backyard.

commavia

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Bozeman Yellowstone, MT

It would be awesome to get a nonstop - even if just seasonally - from DFW to BZN.

Alamogordo, NM
Seeking $456,000 in grant funding supported by $150,000 local funds to aid with proposed air-service links to Dallas metropolitan region utilizing regional jets operating on minimum twice-daily basis.
Funds would be used to support a revenue guarantee along with marketing and promotion of such services.

How far is ALM from ELP? I have driven between the two cities (though not airports) and don't think it took any more than 90 minutes.

mtnwest1979

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:46 pm

As an avid air service fan, I would be more apt to hope applications from the smaller of the applicants would be approved.
Granted I do not think Ardmore,OK could ever sustain almost any level of service, but it would be nice to see them able to attempt it.
Cities the size of BZN TYS and larger should be eliminated off the bat. These places get the service they can sustain and if more is needed, it'll probably come on its own.
Although being originally a Boise person, I root for that one.  

I would like to see Alamogordo get service again, but being within their proximity to ELP, I don't see it is feasible. Perhaps a Caravan to ABQ........

Can't wait to see the rest of the applications.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:46 pm

DOT very sloooow in uploading the applications.

Will post details once I see them.

point2point

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:47 pm

Mohave County Airport Authority (Bullhead City) AZ
Seeks $750,000 in Federal grant monies supplemented by $945,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions to serve as revenue guarantee, start-up cost offset and marketing assistance for proposed 3x weekly Frontier Airlines service to Denver.

It seems that IFP has been after F9 there since 2010

http://www.laughlinbullheadintlairport.com/images/frontier.pdf

Maybe even if the info is somewhat dated in this presentation...... will IFP take as long to get its DEN route as DEN took to get its NRT route?

chrisjake

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:38 pm

What are the difference between SCASD grants and EAS grants?

I'm wondering if Telluride (TEX) will apply for any of these. I don't believe they have been part of EAS before, but with Great Lakes ending service in another month, I figured someone may want to start something into there.

ZK used to have 3 dailies to DEN, along with YV's 2 dailies to PHX from TEX.

Chris

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Trickling out of the DOT...

Peoria, IL
Seeking Federal grant funds of $500,000 combined with $745,000 local contributions as proposed revenue guarantees and start up cost off-set for new hub services to either NYC, Washington D.C or Philadelphia. Interest has been displayed by 3 incumbent air carriers.

Gulfport-Biloxi MS
Desires $350,000 in grant monies supplemented with $281,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions for marketing support and revenue guarantees on proposed new scheduled service from Minneapolis on Sun Country Airlines.

Indian Wells(Inyokern), CA
Request grant funds in the amount of $500,000 with local match of $152,000 in-kind contributions as revenue guarantee, cost offset, and marketing funds to restore community air service link to Western US hub such as Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego, or San Francisco. Tentative talks have take place with SeaPort airlines with consideration of service effective summer 2015.

Rapid City, SD
Proposes Federal grant award of $325,000 combined with $200,000 local funds to assist with transition of current seasonal air services to year round basis. Community seeks to aid Delta Airlines in transitioning its seasonal Atlanta hub link to operate daily year round service with marketing and cost offset support.

Monroe, LA
Request $500,000 Federal grant monies combined with $550,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions to assist with risk mitigation and marketing support for carriers offering new air links services to Denver, Las Vegas or Orlando.

Cheyenne, WY
Desires $200,000 of Federal monies supplemented by $800,000 in local contributions to establish a minimum revenue guarantee, fee waivers and marketing funds to secure and market new airline service to a second large hub or airport with large regional draw.

Eau Claire County, WI
Seeks $150,000 in grant award supplemented with $15,000 in local cash contributions to mount marketing program designed to raise awareness and utilization of existing EAS services operated by Skywest Airlines.

=

bjorn14

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:33 pm

Chrisjake...

EAS is for communities who have no air service. DOT puts out bids for airlines to serve the cities with subsidies. Generally, lowest bidders wins. Very simplified version.

SCASD is for additional support to cities who already have air service or don't qualify under EAS. Maybe TEX can now qualify under EAS.

iowaman

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:35 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 26):
EAS is for communities who have no air service. DOT puts out bids for airlines to serve the cities with subsidies. Generally, lowest bidders wins. Very simplified version.
Maybe TEX can now qualify under EAS.

Once you're out of the EAS system, you can not get back in. There are gaps sometimes where an EAS airport doesn't have service such as when one carrier exits the market early and another starts service at a later date. But, you can not get back in say, five years later after being without service or disqualified by the DOT.

commavia

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:49 am

Two others I found personally notable:

GTR (Columbus/Starkville/West Point, MS) seeking 2 daily (weekday) nonstops to a westbound hub - DFW, IAH or DEN. This is one I've long thought made total sense, and I hope it gets selected. GTR is home to the primary assembly plant for Airbus Helicopters in the U.S., while Airbus Helicopters' U.S. headquarters are located in Grand Prairie, TX, just south of DFW. The application also specifically mentions a desire to improve connectivity to the western U.S., and Asia, both of which DFW absolutely offers.

ROW (Roswell, NM) is seeking a resumption of some westbound connectivity - this time to PHX with AA. AA of course tried LAX before and it didn't work, but maybe they'd have a better go this time around to PHX. If anything, ROW seems like one of the markets (the other major ones that come to mind being AMA and MAF) currently served by AA from DFW but with no westbound connectivity to the "new AA" network in either LAX or PHX.

[Edited 2014-08-12 18:51:05]

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:58 am

More for this afternoon -

Hollister(Branson), MO
Seeking $450,000 Federal grant funding supplemented with $550,000 local cash and in-kind contributions to recruit additional airline lift and connect Branson with Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and Seattle. Funding would be utilized for marketing support and cost offsets available starting summer 2015 to prospective airlines.

Jackson, MS
Proposal for $200,000 in grant award supplemented with $80,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions as risk-offsets and ground handling support for new proposed service to Orlando, St. Petersburg or Ft. Lauderdale to be operated by Allegiant Air.

Montgomery AL
Seeking $200,000 in grant funding along with $60,000 local contributions to fund regional marketing and advertising campaign to increase local awareness to build demand and utilization of existing air carrier services.

Redding, CA
Requesting Federal grant award of $450,000 matched with $50,000 in community funds to help preserve communities sole air service link. Due continued reduction of Skywest Airlines E120 fleet, Redding market must transition to larger 50-seat jet service. Community seeks to establish a revenue guarantee and marketing campaign to help Skywest with the equipment transition otherwise risk losing service entirely.

Dexter (Watertown), NY
Proposes grant funding of $250,000 supported with $75,000 in local cash and in-kind contribution to aid with marketing of existing EAS services which recently were upgauged to 50-seat regional jet. Monies would be used for regional advertising campaign to support and grow airports customer enplanement base.

Sheridan, WY
Seeks grant award of $500,000 supplemented with $1.8mil in local cash and in-kind contributions to attract service to a second large national hub. Monies would be used to establish a revenue guarantee, fee offset, and marketing support.

Pasco, WA
Request $750,000 Federal grant monies matched with $107,000 community funding to establish new air service links.
Community seeks the grant funding to establish daily nonstops to Los Angeles operated by either American Airlines or United utilizing regional jet equipment.

=

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 pm

Bunch more -

Chicopee (Westover) MA
Requesting grant in the amount of $250,000 with a local match of $436,000 to provide marketing, fee waivers and ground handling support for new low cost carrier service. Interest has been expressed by both Allegiant Air or Frontier in linking Westover with leisure markets such as Florida.

Springfield, IL
Seeks Federal grant award of $182,500 supplemented by $122,500 in local cash and in-kind contributions to launch regional marketing and community engagement program aimed at supporting current air service links with Chicago and Dallas by stimulating "fly local" demand reversing recent declines and traffic leakage.

Shreveport, LA
Desires $250,000 in grant monies combined with $250,000 local match to aid with recruitment of new Upper Midwest or East Coast nonstop air services existing or potential new entrant carrier. Top priority markets are Chicago, Charlotte, or Washington DC.

Yakima, WA
Community request $290,000 in Federal grant award supplemented with $790,000 in local cash and in-kind support to aid with establishment of access to a second air carrier hub while strengthening relationships with current air carrier provider. Grant would be utilized as revenue guarantee incentive program for new daily service link to Portland operated by Alaska Airlines and also serve to provide promotional support to existing Alaska services to Seattle.

Victoria, TX
Request Federal funding of $100,000 combined with $65,000 in local match for local media campaign in support of EAS services.

Hayden-Steamboat Springs, CO
Seeks $400,000 in Federal grant award supplemented with $350,000 in community cash match to aid with recruitement of a second air service provider during winter season. Grant award would utilized for revenue guarantee and cost offset to allow current air carrier to extend their summer season services to year-round basis. Primary targeted routes are to support year-round hub links to either Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas or Minneapolis.

Columbus, GA
Proposes Federal grant award of $750,000 combined with $200,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions to serve as a revenue guarantee to foster return of second air carrier to the community. Funding would be utilized to provide American Airlines risk mitigation and cost offset for proposed daily link to Charlotte.

Mineral County, NV
Request $500,000 in Federal grant award combined with $25,000 in local in-kind contributions to aid establishment of viable regional air service links in High Sierra region. Proposed funding would contribute to ongoing project of establishing rural air service links between Hawthorne, Tonopah, Minden, Elko, Ely, West Wendover and instate hubs at Reno and Las Vegas and eventually out of state hub markets under the High Sierra Regional Airline project banner.

=

MSYtristar

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:01 pm

BKG wanting links to LAX and SEA? Don't see it happening. BKG is very much a regional draw.

commavia

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:11 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 30):
Shreveport, LA
Desires $250,000 in grant monies combined with $250,000 local match to aid with recruitment of new Upper Midwest or East Coast nonstop air services existing or potential new entrant carrier. Top priority markets are Chicago, Charlotte, or Washington DC.

SHV-CLT like a perfect USAirways Express CR2 market.

Hayden-Steamboat Springs, CO
Seeks $400,000 in Federal grant award supplemented with $350,000 in community cash match to aid with recruitement of a second air service provider during winter season. Grant award would utilized for revenue guarantee and cost offset to allow current air carrier to extend their summer season services to year-round basis. Primary targeted routes are to support year-round hub links to either Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas or Minneapolis.

The obvious choices would seem to me to be either AA to DFW or United to ORD - seems like those two hubs have had the most success support year-round, or at least longer summer, nonstops to the Colorado ski markets (probably owing to AA and United's historically very strong position in said markets during the peak winter ski season).

Columbus, GA
Proposes Federal grant award of $750,000 combined with $200,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions to serve as a revenue guarantee to foster return of second air carrier to the community. Funding would be utilized to provide American Airlines risk mitigation and cost offset for proposed daily link to Charlotte.

Does CSG need nonstops to CLT? It seems logical that after ATL, CLT would be the natural next choice for a link to a competitor (i.e., non-Delta) hub, but is the market large enough to support it?

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:16 pm

There seem to be more proposals than in the past for dollars to fund local advertising campaigns in support of existing local service.

chrisjake

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:33 pm

SCASD is for additional support to cities who already have air service or don't qualify under EAS. Maybe TEX can now qualify under EAS.

Thanks!

Chris

redzeppelin

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:02 pm

Quoting chrisjake (Reply 34):

I would add that in order to qualify for EAS, the airport must have had regular airline service prior to deregulation in 1978. EAS was intended to be a safety net to ensure that small airports didn't lose service in the free market. Small towns that have grown and developed a need for air service since deregulation (but never had commercial service before deregulation), don't qualify for EAS--but they can apply for SCASD grants to help get something started.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Concord, NC
Applies for grant award of $250,000 supplemented with $50,000 in local cash match to recruit add low cost air carrier services. Proposed funding would be utilized to provide marketing, fee waivers and ground handling support to proposed additional Allegiant Air service to Florida markets of St. Petersburg, Ft Lauderdale or Punta Gorda.

College Station, TX
Request Federal grant funding of $525,000 combined with $225,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions to secure additional air services by incumbent or new entrant provider. Grant monies would be utilized to provide risk offset, marking support, start-up and ground handling support for new hub services, particular those to out of state hub markets such as Atlanta.

Niagara, NY
Seeks $500,000 in grant funding matched with $225,000 in local contributions to community expand air services. Proposed award would be utilized as financial incentives for air carrier services by way of revenue guarantees and for marketing support.

Huntsville, AL
Proposal for $500,000 grant monies supplemented with nearly $1.5mil in local funds and in-kind contributions to secure replacement low cost air service following loss of AirTran. Combined the substantial incentive program available to one or more airlines would provide risk abatement and incubation period to aid with start-up, station and marketing costs of any new services launched. Special focus will be made to reconnect HSV with markets such as Orlando, and other large Eastern US markets.

San Bernardino, CA
Requesting grant amount of $500,000 paired with $200,000 in local cash match to secure airports first scheduled commercial air service following recent major airport infrastructure improvements at the former Air Force base. Grant monies would be utilized to provide fee-waivers, start-up and marketing support with primary focus on regional and low-cost carriers serving the Western US, Canada or Mexico.

Lemhi (Salmon), ID
Applies for $250,000 grant funds combined with $194,400 of local cash and in-kind contribution to reestablish year-round air service to Boise. Grant funding would provide revenue guarantees and start up cost offset for proposed Gem Air services that would relink the community with Boise up to 14x weekly.

Pullaski (Somerset), KY
Seeks Federal grant award of $1,000,000 to help provide minimum revenue guarantee for recently identified new air service links. Community seeks to contract with Corporate Flight Management (CFM) to provide daily public charter service to Nashville utilizing 19-seat J31 equipment mirroring similar ventures currently operated by CFM.

Islip, NY
Proposes $400,000 grant matched with $100,000 in local in-kind contributions to foster additional air-service links thus providing benefits to broader NYC region by making better use of existing infrastructure available at ISP and offering cost and operational efficiency benefits.

Millington, TN
Seeking grant in the amount of $250,000 matched with $112,000 localy to help secure the first scheduled air service. Grant will assist with the start-up, ground handling and marketing to support new air service proposed by Allegiant Air to popular Florida and Western US leisure markets.

=

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:19 am

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 33):

There seem to be more proposals than in the past for dollars to fund local advertising campaigns in support of existing local service.

I think many communities realize with reduction in RJ fleets, lowest performing markets will get chopped so they are trying to do whatever they can to make themselves as attractive as possible.

knope2001

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:28 am

Mineral County, NV
Request $500,000 in Federal grant award combined with $25,000 in local in-kind contributions to aid establishment of viable regional air service links in High Sierra region. Proposed funding would contribute to ongoing project of establishing rural air service links between Hawthorne, Tonopah, Minden, Elko, Ely, West Wendover and instate hubs at Reno and Las Vegas and eventually out of state hub markets under the High Sierra Regional Airline project banner.

This is my favorite by far.

At the heart is a 70-seat Q400 operation flying mostly within Nevada:

Las Vegas-Beatty-Hawthorne-Reno (RNO)
Las Vegas-Carson City-Reno Stead Airport-Las Vegas
Las Vegas-Minden (Lake Tahoe area)
Las Vegas-Ely-Wendover-Elko-Jackson WY

There are also daily scheduled helicopter flights which connect to the Q400 flights at Hawthorne, Reno Stead and Reno RNO

Hawthorn-Yosemite CA
Hawthorn-Lee Vining CA (Yosemite east gate)
Reno Stead - Silver Spring - Fallon - Reno RNO

The proposed schedule has plentiful oddities, errors (time zones, anyone?) and questionable block times (105 mile segment in 15 minutes, 323 mile segment in 45 minutes).

But beyond those issues there are several eyebrow-raising factors in the proposal:

--Running 70-seat Q400 aircraft into tiny, remote towns
--Operating scheduled helicopter flights for the purpose of connecting to these Q400 flights
--The dizzying ambition of the larger proposal -- 757's and CR9's, interstate links to cities through the west, coordinated tour packages, etc.
--What they will do with the requested $500k grant when they say the initial startup costs $32-40 million with a $12m line of credit.

This is an amusing read if nothing else.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=DOT-OST-2014-0113-0042

Attachment B contains a lot of the most interesting stuff.

[Edited 2014-08-13 20:30:16]

FATFlyer

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:59 am

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 38):
Quoting LAXintl (Reply 30):Mineral County, NV
This is my favorite by far.

I can't decide if my favorite part in that one is the landing helicopters in Yosemite Valley 4 times per day (no problem with the Park Service I'm sure) or the fuel blending plant using sage brush to make aviation bio fuel.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

mtnwest1979

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:47 am

Well they may as well try to start another Air Chaparrel. They were a courier carrier that flew into many small Nevada locales in early 80s. RNO Elko Austin Tonopah Winnemucca Lovelock Wells Jackpot etc. Some were cut later along with the Inland Empire acquisition. They were flying 402s. Back in the day when this type pax operation was a lot more of an easy feat to do.

No reason to split any Reno operation. No reason to do Jackson WY from anywhere other than MAYBE LAS.

I'd think TVL LAS could be possible, casino or entertainer connection. Good luck lol.

RWA380

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:00 am

I'm surprised LMT isn't trying to get some monies to attract a new carrier, since UAX is gone in less than 30 days.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

knope2001

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:28 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 39):
or the fuel blending plant using sage brush to make aviation bio fuel.

I forgot that part! Ambitious might be an understatement.

FlyPeoria

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 25):
Peoria, IL
Seeking Federal grant funds of $500,000 combined with $745,000 local contributions as proposed revenue guarantees and start up cost off-set for new hub services to either NYC, Washington D.C or Philadelphia. Interest has been displayed by 3 incumbent air carriers.

Charlotte and Houston are also mentioned. PIA applied for SCASD funds in 2005, 2006 and 2012 and was passed over. Given recent increases in passenger traffic, I don't think it needs them.

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 32):
Does CSG need nonstops to CLT? It seems logical that after ATL, CLT would be the natural next choice for a link to a competitor (i.e., non-Delta) hub, but is the market large enough to support it?

Between Fort Benning and Kia, there's a fair amount going on in Columbus these days.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 36):
Concord, NC
Applies for grant award of $250,000 supplemented with $50,000 in local cash match to recruit add low cost air carrier services. Proposed funding would be utilized to provide marketing, fee waivers and ground handling support to proposed additional Allegiant Air service to Florida markets of St. Petersburg, Ft Lauderdale or Punta Gorda.

Millington, TN
Seeking grant in the amount of $250,000 matched with $112,000 localy to help secure the first scheduled air service. Grant will assist with the start-up, ground handling and marketing to support new air service proposed by Allegiant Air to popular Florida and Western US leisure markets.

I'm not sure that suburban airports in smaller metro areas are a good sue of federal money.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

SouthernDC9

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 25):
Gulfport-Biloxi MS
Desires $350,000 in grant monies supplemented with $281,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions for marketing support and revenue guarantees on proposed new scheduled service from Minneapolis on Sun Country Airlines.

Would this be for casino traffic?

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 29):
Jackson, MS
Proposal for $200,000 in grant award supplemented with $80,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions as risk-offsets and ground handling support for new proposed service to Orlando, St. Petersburg or Ft. Lauderdale to be operated by Allegiant Air.

On this and the others, when they say "proposed" - do they mean they're proposing it or the airline? I've always thought JAN might be an opportunity for Allegiant.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 36):
Millington, TN

Is this the Millington right outside of Memphis? I would think MEM wouldn't care for that very much. (This one is clearer that Allegiant seems to be proposing the service... interesting to that, unlike JAN, this one mentions Western destinations, presumably LAS...)
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:31 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 45):
Is this the Millington right outside of Memphis?

Yes. Evidently, it's got an 8,000 foot runway: http://www.millingtonregionaljetport.com/. It's not very well located for most Memphians.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

GentFromAlaska

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Does anyone know if airports have to be Federal Air Regulations Part 139 certified to be considered for SCASD grant funding Part 139 http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/part139_cert/?p1=carriers
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

redzeppelin

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 42):
Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 39):or the fuel blending plant using sage brush to make aviation bio fuel.

I forgot that part! Ambitious might be an understatement.

Why do I get the feeling that the $25k in local in-kind contributions might be from a rancher who is donating $25k worth of sage brush...

mtnwest1979

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 41):
I'm surprised LMT isn't trying to get some monies to attract a new carrier, since UAX is gone in less than 30 days.

Aren't they already gone? Route map doesn't show LMT and a story about AS mx stop in LMT mentioned they left in June.

One would think somebody would like to fly from LMT once in awhile. Must be too once in awhile lol.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos