Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLALEFTY
Topic Author

Can The "Lisa Marie & Hound Dog I" Be Saved?

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 pm

http://aviationweek.com/blog/elvis-c...-and-jetstar-face-uncertain-future

Looks like the iconic jets that once squired around Elvis Presley, the (formerly with DL) CV-880 "Lisa Marie" & "Hound Dog 1" the smaller Lockheed Jetstar, are due to be removed from Graceland sometime in 2015.

Here's hoping that a "white knight" (how about FedEx?) comes along and gives these babies a new home in Memphis for the display.

Sooner787

RE: Can The "Lisa Marie & Hound Dog I" Be Saved?

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:29 pm

I agree, those birds would make great "gate guards"

out in front of the Memphis Airport

bennett123

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:34 pm

How practical would it be to move them.

I suspect that a ferry flight is a non starter.

FLALEFTY
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 2):

As IIRC back in the 1980s when they set up the display at Graceland, the new owners had them flown into MEM, dismantled the wings, engines and tails, then trucked the plane parts to Graceland where they were re-assembled for display.

I guess this will have to happen again - one way (moved to a new MEM display park) or another (moved to the scrap yard).

Hope it will be the former outcome!

scbriml

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Well, they're certainly not flying out of Gracelands!   

I went there to see these planes last year when I visited Memphis. I arrived early and the planes weren't yet open for viewing. The ticket salesperson couldn't get her head round the fact that I didn't want to see anything except the planes.   

Sadly, the weather that day was crap and this was the only decent photo I could get (before I was told off for using flash!):

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Steve Brimley

71Zulu

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:19 pm

Those planes belong right where they are so hopefully a new financial agreement can be made with the owners.

The new proposed hotel I believe is on the same side of the street as Graceland so guess this about money and not needing the space.

mayor

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Just as an FYI, this is the "Lisa Marie" while still in DL service.....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Larry Pullen

falstaff

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:44 pm

I hope they can be saved. I know that 880 isn't in the best shape, but it has to be the best one still around. Elvis really decorated that thing in 1970s high style and that has to be one of the few VIP planes still around with that kind of interior. I think there is a 727 in Iran with a cool 1970s VIP interior.

Here is me and Lisa Marie, back in 1993.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb309/NWA747/Graceland1993_zpsf71a00fb.jpg

reltney

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:45 pm

The delta photo is my father so LM is special to me.

For the flying thought.. No, the spars were cut outboard of 2 and 3 for transportation.

The Hazy museum in DC would be my choice but the rock and roll hall of fame in Cleveland Ohio should get it as a gate guard.. I'll call them tomorrow.

What do you think?

Type-Rated

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:46 pm

I agree it's not so much that they were Elvis' planes, but that they are now rare.
From what I heard they are not very well cared for. The CV880 has house paint for the external paint and is bubling and flaking in certain spots. The interiors are alright. Boy that photo above makes the interior look pretty cheap. But I imagine that was because that's what was considered "luxurious" back in the 70's. A world of difference with what is popular as interior fittings in private jets today.

Ah ha, why do I get the feeling this is all about money? I think the people who actually own these aircraft want more money from EPE to keep them there and EPE is saying no.

BN727227Ultra

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Quoting reltney (Reply 8):
The Hazy museum in DC would be my choice but the rock and roll hall of fame in Cleveland Ohio should get it as a gate guard.. I'll call them tomorrow.

FWIW, five bux sez it winds up in Las Vegas.

aviationaware

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Trying to capitalize on age old aircraft that have been given to display seems kind of like grifting, but then; those ultra-famous people like Elvis and Michael Jackson have always been prime targets for grifters, so this fits the big picture.

Can't they just leave it there where it belongs...

FLALEFTY
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:33 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 9):
From what I heard they are not very well cared for. The CV880 has house paint for the external paint and is bubling and flaking in certain spots.

I agree. These planes need a fresh restoration. But it would be a worthwhile project for a "white knight" benefactor (Hey, FedEx!).

Now if they could put these bad boys back in flyable condition again?!

TCB!

HermansCVR580

Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:36 am

What about Delta picking up the CV880 and moving it to their museum in ATL?

mayor

Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:41 am

Quoting HermansCVR580 (Reply 13):

Well, they've already got the cockpit section of an 880, there......but, since there are very few left, I suppose they could repaint it and put it outside.

md11sdf

Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:15 am

I've never understood how American Airlines hasn't rescued the APSA 990 from the desert, restore it in the period AA Livery and place it in their Dallas museum. As one of the few intact 990's left in the world, it NEEDS to be saved!!

I see that I was wrong.... That former APSA 990A has already been scrapped.... A crime!!

[Edited 2014-07-03 21:36:57 by md11sdf]

727LOVER

Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:47 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 6):

How can you tell?....no reg

mayor

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:35 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 16):

Can't tell from the picture, just know it from a story told by Larry Pullen, ex DL pilot and the guy that took the picture.

United_fan

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 4):

Well, they're certainly not flying out of Gracelands!

The -880 had its wings chopped off,then re-attached with metal plates. It's not flying anywhere.

jfk777

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Why would Grceland want to move the planes ? They attract many people to Memphis and its not like the real estate is as valuable as in say New York City. If The Lisa Marie were to be moved the Smithsonian's Dulles faciltiy would be a good shelter for it. Just for the preservation value of a CV-880, the fact it was Elvis Pressly's plane os a bonus.

FLALEFTY
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 19):
Why would Grceland want to move the planes ?

Apparently, the new owners of EPE want to put a hotel on the site where the aircraft display is located.

[Edited 2014-07-04 06:43:05]

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 9):
Boy that photo above makes the interior look pretty cheap. But I imagine that was because that's what was considered "luxurious" back in the 70's. A world of difference with what is popular as interior fittings in private jets today.

If you have never been to Graceland, you would not know that Elvis was a heck of a lot better entertainer than he was a decorator.

Quoting HermansCVR580 (Reply 13):

I agree....but since DL has the 880 cockpit and the DL interior is not intact I would doubt they would do it.

The two best ideas I have heard are having either FedEx or the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame preserve them. FedEx would be the most logical since it would only involve a short truck ride out to MEM. Udvar-Hazy is out of the question--too far, too expensive.

I have always had a personal affection for the Jetstar and said that if I could own one airplane it would either be a Jetstar or a Super VC-10--I just love those 4 engines in the tail. Gives them an elegant look.

BN727227Ultra

Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 21):
I have always had a personal affection for the Jetstar and said that if I could own one airplane it would either be a Jetstar or a Super VC-10--I just love those 4 engines in the tail. Gives them an elegant look.

John Wayne--"Hellfighters"--raw meat for oil patch junkies, and rare aircraft, too. Jetstar, C-124 and some weird helicopter with intermeshed rotors that I haven't seen since.

prosa

Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:57 pm

A company known as Authentic Brands Group now owns most of Elvis Presley Enterprises (among much else, including Juicy Couture, Prince tennis racquets, Hart Schaffner and Marx suits, and the licensing rights to Marilyn Monroe). Its concerns with Graceland undoubtedly are less sentimental and more dollars-and-cents. If a hotel on the site now occupied by the aircraft will bring in significant revenues, the aircraft will go.

Viscount724

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Quoting MD11SDF (Reply 15):
I've never understood how American Airlines hasn't rescued the APSA 990 from the desert, restore it in the period AA Livery and place it in their Dallas museum.

AA was never happy with the 990's capabilities and didn't keep them long. Many were disposed of when only 4 or 5 years old. I don't think any lasted longer than 8 or 9 years at AA. I don't know why AA would have any interest in spending money to save one for a museum.

71Zulu

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:51 pm

It shouldn't have anything to do with the hotel. The new hotel will be built north of Graceland on the same side of the street, the airplanes are almost directly across the street and not near where the hotel will be.

One of the articles said the airplane owners were paid a fee for each person visiting Graceland and I would imagine with nearly 600,000 visitors to Graceland each year, the CEO has decided whatever amount they are receiving is too much and told them the planes must go. Hopefully a new deal can be worked out and the planes can be kept on site.

Type-Rated

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:30 pm

So I take it that nobody from Elvis' family is involved with Elvis Presley Enterprises these days?

prosa

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:37 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 26):
So I take it that nobody from Elvis' family is involved with Elvis Presley Enterprises these days?

They still have a small share, maybe 10% or so, but for the most part it's under corporate control.

deltacto

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:06 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 6):
Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 16):

Here's the story of this photo

Iconic DL Convair 880 Photo Story (by catiii Aug 26 2010 in Civil Aviation)

727LOVER

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:22 pm

So basically all we have is this:

“Absolutely. See that patch on the lip of number four engine? I put it there, and it’s on the one in Memphis .”

Interesting that a.net didn't find that as enough evidence to change the reg.

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 26):

His wife had control for many years and built the estate into a huge conglomerate--very savvy woman. I am now sure how much Lisa Marie has to do with it now (except to cash the checks).

jetstar

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Lisa Presley still owns 15 percent of Elvis Presley Enterprises and is still active in its operations, but has retained sole ownership of the mansion, gravesite and all of her father’s personal property which she has said she will never sell.

JetStar

mayor

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:09 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 29):
Interesting that a.net didn't find that as enough evidence to change the reg.

Perhaps A.net never bothered to read the story. I'm the one that originally posted that story on A.net after getting permission from Larry Pullen to post it.

I would imagine that it would be up to the one that submitted the photos to A.net to update the reg. I have no reason to believe that the story isn't true.

jetjeanes

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:16 am

I drive by the 880 during lunch about every day ,it is in very poor shape and yes looks like house paint on it. I recall watching them move it there with just a fuselage and landing gear and a man on top pushing power lines up with a pole. Now there would be no way to get that plane out of there with out cutting the fuselage in sections.The landing gear im sure is pretty much useless to even try to tug it and if they did it would prolly snap the gear.. Its all about money..I didnt know mr Coker even still had anything to do with it untill last week but its a good nest egg to split the revs with epe, who probably want to cut more into his share... I think a while back lisa or "mom" sold more of epe to someone else but retain the house. I think somehow priscilla calls the shots, as shes always been in the forefront on this deal,and here quite often.. where as lisa I seldom see much of her around..

Im not sure if that photo of the low takeoff of the 880 by the dal pilot is this plane or not as i think they tried it a few times from what i heard,, i havent read the article.. But I barely recall when delta had them and they were really a small plane inside..All those 880,s Smoked like hell on take off, as that was one way we knew it ws elvis leaving by the massive amount of smoke on take off,but those planes were very fast... Ive never gone back an seen his little plane it might me more manuverable to get out due to its size,,, Yes the new hotel is on the east side of the road so i cant imagine what is going to go in there,, Im sure they will work something out to keep it there as i dought the old mn is going to pay to move it..

mayor

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:43 am

Quoting jetjeanes (Reply 33):
Im not sure if that photo of the low takeoff of the 880 by the dal pilot is this plane or not as i think they tried it a few times from what i heard,, i havent read the article..

Read the story. The one on takeoff was one of several tries over a two day period to try and get the right shot.

jetstar

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Both of Elvis’s airplanes still have current FAA registrations, even though these airplanes will never fly again, probably to prevent anyone from getting those “N” numbers if they were ever cancelled.

Other than the special “N” numbers that the FAA keeps for itself, N1 thru N99, all “N” numbers not assigned are available to the public, I do not know of any “N” number retired by the FAA

I know Elvis’s JetStar is serial number 5004, the 4th JetStar built in late 1961 and one of the 5 JetStars that was used for FAA certification.

I was in this JetStar a few years ago when I went to Graceland and I can tell you that this airplane will never fly again. the right side of the fuselage opposite the cabin door was cut out and a large plexiglass window was installed to let more light into the entry area where you can look into the cockpit and cabin.

JetStar

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos