Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

UA 744 During Asiana 214 Crash

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:04 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sergey Rimsha

How long was this aircraft stuck out there? And was CVR examined on this aircraft?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Braniff747SP

RE: UA 744 During Asiana 214 Crash

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:22 pm

I remember reading that it was out there for three or four hours until they got out there to tow it back to the terminal. There was also something mentioned about an interview with the pilots, but I'm sure someone else will know more.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

goboeing

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:39 pm

There was an e-mail floating around that was supposedly one of the bunkie's (relief pilot's) accounts of it, but it was one of those e-mails that get passed around and you never really know if it's authentic or not.

Whether or not that e-mail was all correct, it is my understanding that they were sitting there waiting on new takeoff numbers for a bit and one or two up front didn't notice at first but the extra captain and/or FO in the middle jumpseat was gazing out the front windshield and saw a 777 coming in with the nose pointed way up in the air like they're about to ball it up and pointed this out to the other three.

Norcal773

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:40 pm

It was out there for 3-4 hours I believe from the Asiana 214 crash threads. One of the pilots did write an email or something, I remember seeing that too. Towed back to the gate and cancelled until the next day I believe but no damage to the aircraft itself.

Cheers.
If you're going through hell, keep going

Q

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Maybe UAL had to inspection wing, tail, fuselage and stabilizer if anything puncture by object flying when it crashed. They wanted to make sure no hole or damage UAL 744 can't fly after crashed it is not safe to fly.

Q

UALFAson

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes, it was eventually cancelled after sitting out there for several hours. Passengers were accommodated in hotels until the next day and provided grief counselors if needed.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

stlgph

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:40 pm

where was this 747 originally headed? thanks.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

cedarjet

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Can't find the full text but here is some excerpts:

"The aircraft made a fairly drastic-looking pull up in the last few feet and it appeared and sounded as if they had applied maximum thrust. However the descent path they were on continued and the thrust applied didn't appear to come soon enough to prevent impact."

The United crew and passengers watched the 777 hit the seawall, the tail section and landing gear shearing off.

The pilot continued: "We saw the fuselage, largely intact, slide down the runway and out of view of our cockpit."

He also went to the main cabin of his 747.

He wrote: "The passenger mood was concerned, but generally calm. A few individuals were emotional as nearly every passenger on the left side of the aircraft saw the fuselage and debris field going over 100 knots past our aircraft only 300 feet away. By this point everyone had looked out the windows and could see the smoke plume from the 777."

By the way, the UAL 747 was flight 885 going to Osaka.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

as739x

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:20 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):

As said above, it was 3-4 hours. The flight was going to KIX. There were obviously a tremendous amount of logistical issues in getting the aircraft back to the gate, as it had to be towed back to the ramp. This includes turning it around on the taxiway with a tug.

Not only was there a pilots email floating around, there was also a lot of splendid words said about the Inflight team and how they handled a large group of children onboard.

To answer your question on the CVR, I can't help
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

lpdal

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Pilot 1: "Yes, this is 885, we're going (unintelligible) left. And we see people and they need immediate attention. They are alive and walking around."

Tower: "These people are just walking outside the airplane right now?"

Pilot 1: "Yeah, some people look like they are struggling."

The United cockpit contacted air traffic control about the Asiana passengers walking on the runway.

The pilot wrote: "It seemed to take a very long time for vehicles and assistance to arrive for these victims."

Audio from www.LiveATC.net:

Pilot 2: "It's right out near the 28-right number on the right side of the runway. Excuse me, the 28-left number, between the runways, there are people right adjacent to the numbers, we can see about two or three people that are moving and have survived."

Tower: "Roger."

Source: http://abc7news.com/archive/9167520/

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

dirtyfrankd

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:31 pm

Quoting as739x (Reply 8):
As said above, it was 3-4 hours. The flight was going to KIX. There were obviously a tremendous amount of logistical issues in getting the aircraft back to the gate, as it had to be towed back to the ramp. This includes turning it around on the taxiway with a tug.

Maybe I'm totally dense, but is there a reason they had to be towed back to the taxi way as opposed to taxiing back on their own?

dragon6172

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Quoting dirtyfrankd (Reply 10):
Maybe I'm totally dense, but is there a reason they had to be towed back to the taxi way as opposed to taxiing back on their own?

Probably would have been an issue trying to u-turn a 747 within the confines of the taxi way. Also, lots of debris, people, rescue equipment ended up in the area, probably not a good idea to be running jet engines with all that (FOD, injuries, crash disturbance, etc)
Phrogs Phorever

sw733

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Quoting dirtyfrankd (Reply 10):

Just a total guess - they would have to reverse down the taxiway to avoid the scene, which would be...difficult. Plus the thrust may disturb the scene/evidence. But like I said, a total guess.

phlsfo

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:00 pm

I was working out in Burlingame at the time and staying in a crashpad for when I was in town working. I walked across the pedestrian bridge over 101 and had a very clear view of the crash from where I was. There was a woman standing there (amongst other people) who kept texting someone while we were all talking. Someone mentioned that it must have been a crazy sight for the pax onboard the UA 747, ans she said that her husband was one of the pilots and he was headed to KIX. She said that after seeing that he had no desire to make that trip that day.

sw733

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Quoting phlsfo (Reply 13):
staying in a crashpad

Maybe not the best idiom for this thread