Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MesaFlyGuy
Topic Author

Pilot Of Diverted Flight Buys Pax Pizza

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:59 pm

Now that's not something a pilot usually does to help pax during a diversion!

Flight 719 diverted to Cheyenne, Wyoming Monday night and the pilot decided to do something nice (on his own tab) for his passengers.

http://www.9news.com/story/travel/20...d-frontier-flight-monday/12364383/

Now I'm waiting for those who call this a "PR stunt".  

Cipango

RE: Pilot Of Diverted Flight Buys Pax Pizza

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:10 pm

What a great gesture!

Pizza's aren't cheap these days either. I am sure 50 of them set him back a small bit.

Yflyer

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:23 pm

A friend of mine was on a flight years ago where the crew bought everyone pizza after a lengthy mechanical delay. If I'm remembering correctly it was a United 747 -- that's a lot of pizza!

While not a commercial flight, back in January I was a passenger on an Intel corporate shuttle that diverted to RDM. After two other shuttles also diverted there, some of the pilots went over to Subway and bought lunch for everyone.

MesaFlyGuy
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:24 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 2):
While not a commercial flight, back in January I was a passenger on an Intel corporate shuttle that diverted to RDM. After two other shuttles also diverted there, some of the pilots went over to Subway and bought lunch for everyone.

I JUST finished reading your post in the other thread as well about that! 

rfields5421

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:24 pm

Heck, Ellen DeGeneres took up a collection for fewer than 50.

FLALEFTY

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:25 pm

I imagine Cheyenne's Pappa John's, Pizza Huts & Domino's were hopping Monday night!

I hope his company quietly reimburses the Captain. Frontier got way more than $500-$600 worth of goodwill out of his gesture.

747400sp

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:46 pm

Now that's what I call service! If more pilots and airlines did this, flight delays would more bearable, or even welcome.    

flyinggoat

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:08 am

Great service! I recall reading a similar story on here several years ago.

Out of curiosity, how does the pizza get to the plane? Does the pizza delivery guy/gal get special permission to go through security, or does airport or airline personnel meet the pizza delivery guy/gal somewhere?

Mir

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:25 am

Quoting FLALEFTY (Reply 5):
I hope his company quietly reimburses the Captain.

I hope they do it not quietly. More people will do this sort of thing if they know their company will back them up.

-Mir

175erj

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:27 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):

Almost positive the captain will be reimbursed... there are no station services in CYS for F9. He didn't do it to be nice, he did it because there were no other options.

jfklganyc

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:30 am

CA has already expensed it and will be reimbursed if I was guessing.

Nonetheless a nice gesture!

DocLightning

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:33 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):
I hope they do it not quietly. More people will do this sort of thing if they know their company will back them up.

It's called "taking care of your passengers." And it's what a pilot signs up to do.

Way to take care of your passengers, Captain!

tu154m

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 am

Nice gesture for sure, but most pilots are VERY well paid and have a corporate credit card with them at all times. Still very nice to do!

hiflyeras

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:52 am

I was on an AS flight years ago that was stuck in SIT due to weather delays. The station manager called the owner of the local pizzeria (closed at the time)....they agreed to fire up the oven and delivered 20 pizzas to the stranded aircraft. I think it was about a four hour delay and the station apparently picked up the tab.

trex8

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:55 am

Would all that tomato paste constitute a liquid/gel which has to pass TSA scrutiny???

USAirALB

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:12 am

I've heard US and AA pilots doing the same thing-always a nice gesture and easily turns a bad situation into a positive, almost festive like one.

Americans love free food.

rfields5421

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:29 am

Quoting flyinggoat (Reply 7):
Out of curiosity, how does the pizza get to the plane? Does the pizza delivery guy/gal get special permission to go through security, or does airport or airline personnel meet the pizza delivery guy/gal somewhere?

It was CYS, not LAX. TSA can be better about such things in smaller places. Knowing there is a plane with no food on-board - working with the pilots and ground service folks to make sure they get to the plane. I'd be very surprised if the delivery driver was not able to go on the ramp and up to very near the plane.

There are likely procedures in the TSA manuals for such special cases.

PGNCS

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:34 am

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 6):
If more pilots and airlines did this, flight delays would more bearable, or even welcome

And if you want to do your part to make a delay more bearable you can feel free to buy the soda!  
Quoting 175erj (Reply 9):
He didn't do it to be nice, he did it because there were no other options.

You know this how, exactly?

Quoting tu154m (Reply 12):
Nice gesture for sure, but most pilots are VERY well paid and have a corporate credit card with them at all times.

Most airline pilots do NOT have a corporate credit card. I have never had one and I have been working as a pilot for a major US airline for 23 years now; I know numerous pilots at many US carriers and it is the exception not the rule.

Further, many pilots are very well paid, while many are very poorly paid (especially in the regional ranks.)

I think it was a great decision, and am glad he took care of his passengers first and worried about expensing it later.

b747400erf

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:48 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):

It's called "taking care of your passengers." And it's what a pilot signs up to do.

Pilots sign up to fly an airplane. That's it. The term self loading freight was created for that reason.

HAL

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:46 am

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 18):
Pilots sign up to fly an airplane. That's it. The term self loading freight was created for that reason.

If that is your belief, then I hope you are not an airline pilot. There is much, much more to being an airline captain than just 'flying the plane', but the public never sees 90% of it. And yes, customer relations are part of the deal as well.

Captains are in charge of the aircraft from beginning to end of a flight, and if the flight lands at an airport not served by that airline, they are the senior company representative there too. That means taking care of ALL the issues that crop up, including taking care of the passengers.

And really, we are in the business of transporting people, not 'self loading cargo'. If the captain can't see that, and doesn't treat his passengers as he would a friend or family member, he doesn't deserve to wear the uniform.

HAL

N62NA

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:59 am

What a nice thing to do! If I ever have the opportunity to fly a route that Frontier serves, I will definitely give them my business.

Mir

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:04 am

50 pizzas at $10 a pizza is $500 (and $10 a pizza seems pretty low, but I'm thinking in NYC prices and Wyoming prices are probably less than that so let's go with it). The crew shouldn't be expected to eat that cost. As an employee of the company, I'm representing the company's interests as well as its reputation, and I'm expected to make decisions with that in mind. If I decide that I want to spend money on something, what I'm really deciding is that it's worth it for the company to spend money on that thing. My end of that bargain is that I have to be judicious about what I spend money on, the company's end of the bargain is to to trust my judgement sufficiently to reimburse me after all is said and done. If I don't get reimbursed when I spend money on something, that's a clear sign that the company doesn't want money spent on that thing, and so I will not be likely to do so in the future.

most pilots are VERY well paid and have a corporate credit card with them at all times.

Airline pilots don't have a company card on them.

-Mir

MesaFlyGuy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 am

I'm studying to be a pilot and my two major reasons for becoming a pilot are:

1. Flying the plane
2. Interacting with people and enhancing their travel experience.

Quoting HAL (Reply 19):
Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 18):Pilots sign up to fly an airplane. That's it. The term self loading freight was created for that reason.

If that is your belief, then I hope you are not an airline pilot. There is much, much more to being an airline captain than just 'flying the plane', but the public never sees 90% of it. And yes, customer relations are part of the deal as well.

Captains are in charge of the aircraft from beginning to end of a flight, and if the flight lands at an airport not served by that airline, they are the senior company representative there too. That means taking care of ALL the issues that crop up, including taking care of the passengers.

And really, we are in the business of transporting people, not 'self loading cargo'. If the captain can't see that, and doesn't treat his passengers as he would a friend or family member, he doesn't deserve to wear the uniform.

Jerseyguy

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:14 am

Dominos Pizza is fairly cheap you can get a medium 2 topping pizza for $5.99 when you order more than 1, so its probably a $350-$400 guesture including tax and tips for the 2-3 drivers it probably took to deliver 50 pizzas.. Nice move by the captain. With the press coverage it got I'm sure F9 will reimburse the pilot.

bristolflyer

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:17 am

This is in the same vein as Flight Attendants who say they are only on board for pax safety. That maybe their primary responsibility but in all likelihood an FA will never see an emergency in their lifetime so most of their time will be spent serving passengers. If they don't serve passengers properly they will be fired.

Boeing778X

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:52 am

Quoting MesaflyGuy (Thread starter):
Now I'm waiting for those who call this a "PR stunt"

Anyone who pulls that is gonna get slapped!

This pilot is awesome!  What a very generous guy!

e38

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:55 am

Quoting bristolflyer (Reply 24), "If they don't serve passengers properly they will be fired."

That's a great philosophy, and one with which I certainly agree, however, the reality is, at least in the United States, they will not be fired.

I've seen (in the U.S.):
- talking on cellphone during boarding process, rather than greeting passengers,
- one beverage service on a three hour flight, then sit on their jumpseats in the galley and talk or read magazines
- after the service, passengers sat for over an hour with empty cups, beverage cans, and trash on their tray tables; when I went to the galley to ask them to pick up the cabin, they were in the back visiting and seemed upset I interrupted their conversation.
- rude to passengers

at one time there was something called "work ethic." Not so much any more, unfortunately.

e38

bchandl

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:56 am

Quoting jerseyguy (Reply 23):

When you order in large quantities, as with any business, the listed sticker price does not apply.

For a bunch of people who spend half the day speculating on the deals airlines get on their latest orders, I thought this was pretty well understood.

bchandl

MSJYOP28Apilot

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:13 am

My only question is did the pilot obtain permission to order the pizzas or did take it upon himself to order the pizzas?

Reason why I ask is typically weather diversions for thunderstorms are gas and go diversions. Normally you aim to get fueled and on your way in a quick manner. There are certainly times when weather persists and causes a longer wait at the diversion point. However, I would always view a pilot doing this sort of thing as being a last resort type thing if they were out of catering supplies on an extended delay with no way to replenish the supply.

That plane has somewhere it needs to be, the passengers have connections and business to do. Waiting an hour for the pizzas to made, delivered and served can easily cause a flight to miss a break in the weather, push a flight closer to the 3 hours rule, and runs the risk of getting the plane stuck at the diversion station. Every minute you are in a diversion station is a minute something can go wrong and make a bad situation even worse. Last thing I would want to have happen is tell people they are stuck in a city that doesnt regularly see a plane that size and likely doesnt have the hotels for the passengers.

If the captain did this as a customer service gesture I would say his heart is in the right place but by waiting for pizzas he could easily be delaying or even canceling another plane load of people. What if that plane was going to DEN and then another city and the crew of the next flight was tight on duty time? What about the passengers with connections that could have had a chance to catch either their flight or the next flight but cant now because of the wait?

If the captain ran it by dispatch and was told doing this wouldnt risk missing a break in the weather, hurt passenger connections or downline issues for other flights, I would say it was a good idea and an outside the box way to try to ease over a not so good situation.

If the captain did this because he encountered an extended wait for weather in CYS and legally needed provisions per the DOT Tarmac Delay Rule and was low on drinks and snacks with no way to cater the plane in CYS, I would look and see if the diversion to CYS could have been avoided and the flight diverted to a station more capable of handling the aircraft. The alternate airports used are a judgment call for the dispatcher and pilot but if you see bad weather forecast that could cause an extended diversion you may not want to select an airport like CYS for a diversion.

astaz

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:14 am

This happens more often that you might think. I've seen the station order pizza's, I've also seen crew give out food/pizza... But in today's market where folks want to pay as little as possible, yet air travel is as reliable as it is, a good will gesture like pizza often times doesn't change the mood in a divert like situation. People act like diversions are the airlines fault... Last week IAH stopped ops for an hour and I had a lady yell at me and blame my airline for not wanting to go on time (therefore she was going to miss her connection/cruise), even though the plane was ground stopped. I know travel can be emotional but things happen.

MesaFlyGuy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:05 am

Quoting astaz (Reply 29):

If you ever get bored on a rainy day, go onto an airline's twitter feed. It's pretty hilarious! My favorite was during one of our MANY snowstorms this winter, a woman sirting at EWR said JetBlue was the worst airline in the world because they cancelled her first flight to Orlando, and then "had the nerve to slap her on another flight that was delayed".  
Quoting MSJYOP28Apilot (Reply 28):

Maybe the captain knew that they were going to be there for a few hours and had the time for it? I'd assume he wants to stay on schedule as easily as possible and wouldn't want to delay anybody more than they have to.

Quoting bchandl (Reply 27):

Where I work, this isn't the case.

76794p

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:08 am

Since my first diversion, I have always brought food on board with me. Last summer, I was going to IAH from FLL and because a ground stop at IAH we got diverted to MSY. I did not have any food on me and by the time we got to IAH, I was starving. Two weeks ago, I flew GSP-IAH and the weather looked a little iffy at IAH, so before departure I picked up some snacks to hold me over in the event of a diversion. We did not divert, but I was glad i had the food, just in case we did. More people need to bring food on flights.

airplaneboy

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:28 am

Bravo to F9 and Gerhard. I flew for F9 for several years before going to another carrier. What I miss the most about F9 are the people. I flew with this captain many times during those years and he truly is a class act- just like any other F9 employee. I also recognize the FAs. Some have been there for almost 18-19 years and still have their trademark smiles.

wjcandee

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:37 am

The Associated Press article interviewed the Domino's Pizza manager in Cheyenne. He said he was about to send his guys home when the call came in around 10pm. The Captain wanted Pizza for 160 people, which the manager figured was about 35 pies. That's about what they normally make in a peak hour at that store. But the plane needed the pies in like 30 minutes, so he kept his whole crew, and they were all pumped about trying to pull it off. They did, and the driver (one guy apparently) delivered the 35 pies to a flight attendant who took them to the plane. (The number of people who carried the pies might be different than that reported in the story, of course.) The story also reports that the plane departed shortly after the pizza arrived.

[Edited 2014-07-08 22:40:38]

[Edited 2014-07-08 22:41:19]

AR385

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:01 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 19):

Very well put Sir, and welcome to my RU list.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:09 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 21):
50 pizzas at $10 a pizza is $500 (and $10 a pizza seems pretty low, but I'm thinking in NYC prices and Wyoming prices are probably less than that so let's go with it). The crew shouldn't be expected to eat that cost.

I'm not saying they should be. In situations the airline should (and did! horray!) facilitate the crew in taking care of their passengers in any way possible. Including reimbursing for something like this. It's a pity that this sort of good business gesture isn't more common.

Quoting HAL (Reply 19):

I hope I fly on your plane one day, Captain.  

PhilBy

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:09 am

Quoting 76794p (Reply 31):
More people need to bring food on flights.

Some carriers T&C's specify that only food purchased on the plane can be eaten on board. Not that anyone pay's any attention to this.

b747400erf

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:51 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 19):

Depending on what type of pilot career you take, your first and only important job is to pilot an airplane. If you fly passengers then there is a customer service aspect to your job, that is not what I was disputing. But you do not sign up to take care of the passengers. You sign up to fly an airplane. If you wanted to just sign up to take care of the passengers, you would be a flight attendant.

AirAfreak

Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:49 am

For once, it is nice to hear of such nice gesture of a U.S.-based airline employee truly going beyond an Asian-based airline employee... where do I sign up to give a financial donation to a true gentleman? If Frontier does not reimburse this gentleman, then how can I?

mariner

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:42 am

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 37):
Depending on what type of pilot career you take, your first and only important job is to pilot an airplane. If you fly passengers then there is a customer service aspect to your job, that is not what I was disputing. But you do not sign up to take care of the passengers. You sign up to fly an airplane.

There's an interview (video) with the Captain in this link:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...rontier_airlines_pilot_orders.html

"Frontier Airlines pilot orders Domino's pizza for delayed passengers, but no wings?"

The Captain says that he was taking care of his passengers, who are his responsibility from the moment they step on the aircraft until the moment they step off.

The story has amazing reach - it has been picked by up newspapers all over the world.

mariner

chrisnh

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:48 am

I hope his company quietly reimburses the Captain. Frontier got way more than $500-$600 worth of goodwill out of his gesture.

Absolutely. In a business where airlines only make the news for bad reasons, this is 'pennies from PR heaven' for Frontier.

RWA380

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:01 pm

I hope his company quietly reimburses the Captain. Frontier got way more than $500-$600 worth of goodwill out of his gesture

F9 will py this guy back, and the info will be released to the press.This is a P.R. goldmine for F9, and if they play this out, they will have some free, but more importantly positive press, it made our local CBS affiliates news this evening.

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 6):
Now that's what I call service! If more pilots and airlines did this, flight delays would more bearable, or even welcome

I'm wondering if F9 pilots are making that much money to do this kind of thing very often, but really this is what I'd expect an airline to do given all of the circumstances.

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):
More people will do this sort of thing if they know their company will back them up

I am sure you are correct, however I think most companies do not want this type of thing happening that often, I can hear the B.O.D. at every airline, reminding those in charge to not encourage this type of behaviour. If everyone does it, then it is no longer as special, and then people come to expect it every time a plane is diverted, a very kind thought tho.

Quoting 175erj (Reply 9):
Almost positive the captain will be reimbursed... there are no station services in CYS for F9. He didn't do it to be nice, he did it because there were no other options.

I am unfamiliar with what the protocol is regarding to diversions to a station you do not have services arranged with. What is the expectation of the crew in regards to passenger comfort and accommodation?

Way to take care of your passengers, Captain!

I 100% agree, this man did not know right then if he'd see that money again, even if he felt it would be possible, he was still willing to fork out on his own dime to take care of his passengers, I admire a man who takes his job seriously enough to think about the important things.

most pilots are VERY well paid

The term "paid well" is subjective, so I'll say just from my perspective, most pilots that fly for big airline companies are likely well compensated, but I wonder how much a pilot at F9 or just about any ULCC carrier is paid? I don't know.

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 15):
I've heard US and AA pilots doing the same thing-always a nice gesture and easily turns a bad situation into a positive, almost festive like one

Studies have shown that when 150 people are held captive against their will, in an unknown place, for an undetermined period of time, they tend to get pissy almost 83.7% of the time, but if they are fed & taken care of, that percentage drops significantly to 2.86%.

Kidding aside, it seems like such a great thing for all involved, the pizza company sells more pizzas, the workers get some overtime maybe, the passengers are fed, and the airline gets some positive free press, everyone wins.

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 15):
Americans love free food

I don't think that is unique to America, I have travelled to many places where the kids love candy necklaces and we take 50-100 with us to give out. Food is a common thread with any human on this planet, we can always break bread with each other.

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 17):
Quoting MesaflyGuy (Reply 22):
I'm studying to be a pilot and my two major reasons for becoming a pilot are

Congrats and best of luck to you .....

Quoting astaz (Reply 29):
I know travel can be emotional but things happen.

A person will ALWAYS show their true colors in a stressful situation, which is how one must decide who really gets helped first and who can wait in line.

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 33):
The Associated Press article interviewed the Domino's Pizza manager in Cheyenne. He said he was about to send his guys home when the call came in around 10pm. The Captain wanted Pizza for 160 people, which the manager figured was about 35 pies. That's about what they normally make in a peak hour at that store. But the plane needed the pies in like 30 minutes, so he kept his whole crew, and they were all pumped about trying to pull it off. They did, and the driver (one guy apparently) delivered the 35 pies to a flight attendant who took them to the plane. (The number of people who carried the pies might be different than that reported in the story, of course.) The story also reports that the plane departed shortly after the pizza arrived.

Mad props to the crew, what an awesome display of teamwork. If Dominos is paying attention at all, they'll obviously see there is a national commercial in that event & story, non-fiction is better than fiction, it should star that team of people.

rfields5421

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:07 pm

When you order in large quantities, as with any business, the listed sticker price does not apply.

I worked 11 years (1997-2008) in the HQ of a national pizza company - and the store manager has only authority for a 5% discount for orders over 5 pizza's. No other discounts for larger orders. However, CYS was very likely a local franchise operation, not a national owned store - so the franchisee might have different rules for his store managers.

The national pizza chain business runs on a very thin profit margin per pizza, counting on volume to make up the operational profit. Labor actually cost more than the food to make and sell pizza.

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 33):
That's about what they normally make in a peak hour at that store.

There are two capacity limits in the pizza business. One is how many pizzas can the people in the store make up in an hour. How many make-tables the store has.

The second capacity limit is the number of pizzas per hour the ovens can physically cook. Most chain stores use an electric oven with a metal belt pulling the pizzas through the oven. Back about 1978 when I saw one of the first of those - it took 11 minutes to cook a pizza in those ovens. When I retired from the HQ of the pizza company the time had been pushed down to a little under 5 minutes.

A great many pizza restaurants will do half their weekly volume of sales (both # of pizzas and dollars) between 5:45 and 9:45 on Friday evening. Monday is a very slow day most of the year. The pilot was lucky there were enough people in the store to fill that order on a Monday evening.

Super Bowl Sunday is of course the biggest day of the year for pizza take out orders, but many folks would be surprised to find that the second biggest day of the year is the Friday after Thanksgiving.

highflier92660

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:12 pm

That was a stroke of goodwill and PR genius on the part of the pilot. He must have been familiar with the Cheyanne airport vicinity because that Domino's is almost at the airport boundary.

Only on Anet can we discuss the cost per pizza, the ramifications for future catering onboard Frontier flights and who actually has better ingredients, Papa John's or Dominos.

FLALEFTY

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 42):
Super Bowl Sunday is of course the biggest day of the year for pizza take out orders, but many folks would be surprised to find that the second biggest day of the year is the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Well this has been a nice thread. In addition, I learned a fun fact about the pizza business. ( I had no idea the Friday after Thanksgiving was their #2 sales day!)

As for Domino's, this episode could be the basis for their next Super Bowl ad.

burchfiel

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Pilots sign up to fly an airplane. That's it.
Quoting HAL (Reply 19):
really, we are in the business of transporting people

I hope the pilots of my next flight share HAL's attitude!

Jerseyguy

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:52 pm

At the sale price I was unsure how much of a margin Dominos had. I figured I'd go with the sale price just to be sure. Either way it was relatively inexpensive. Definately good PR.

wjcandee

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:58 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 37):
Depending on what type of pilot career you take, your first and only important job is to pilot an airplane. If you fly passengers then there is a customer service aspect to your job, that is not what I was disputing. But you do not sign up to take care of the passengers. You sign up to fly an airplane. If you wanted to just sign up to take care of the passengers, you would be a flight attendant.

So interesting. This captain says explicitly in the on-camera interview that you do what you have to do to take care of your family, your passengers, and that they are his responsibility from the moment they get on his aircraft until they step off. His words. Echoing the sentiment of the classy gentlemen on this forum who also are airline captains and who expressed exactly those thoughts.

par13del

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):

-Mir

I can see a bean counter not only being against it being public but also coming down on the Captiain for doing something that other clients of the airline will be clamoring for when their diversion comes around.

Unfortunately, we now live in a society where good deeds always have some authority figure looking for the dark cloud in the silver lining. To be clear I'm not calling out the poster below but just using their thoughts to say that persons which such thought can also be found in all levels of management in all companies.

Quoting MSJYOP28Apilot (Reply 28):
My only question is did the pilot obtain permission to order the pizzas or did take it upon himself to order the pizzas?

Without quoting your entire post the question and possible situations you describe are possible, I recall something similar when we had a diversion due to inclement weather and encountered a mix up trying to get ground transportation, hotel accomodations then weather clearing, a/c good to go and problems getting pax back onboard before crew timed out.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 41):
Studies have shown that when 150 people are held captive against their will, in an unknown place, for an undetermined period of time, they tend to get pissy almost 83.7% of the time, but if they are fed & taken care of, that percentage drops significantly to 2.86%.

Yep, and the bean counters will claim that the bad publicity from this one incident and its cost does not overcome the massive funds saved by not carrying food onboard and keeping them locked up awaiting a new takeoff slot.

In our dark world today this is a good thing to see happen, if even one pax decides to fly F9 because of this is it one pax gained through doing a decent thing.

bennett123

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:42 pm

Regrettably it is not just airlines.

I recall several years ago working for a Bank.

One customer went online to transfer money into his ISA. He mixed his debits and credits and took the money out in error.
He then realised, and tried to reverse his error.

In the UK, you can only put in a fixed amount a year, (and withdrawals are not offset against payments). Result was that his balance was unchanged, but his annual allowance was used up.

If the bank made an error, there was a process to correct it, (and notify the Revenue). However, for customer errors, (which this undoubtedly was), the standard procedure was that the customer had to take it up with the Revenue themselves.

I went to my Manager and pointed out the following;

1. We could fix it in 5 minutes, whereas the customer would probably have to fight the Revenue for months.

2. That the customer would probably complain, resulting in additional costs in time and money for the Bank.

3. That if we fixed it, he would probably tell his friends. If we told him to fix it himself, then he would surely tell all his friends.

After a couple of days, I got the nod. However, if that was because he agreed my point of view, or he got sick of being asked, I can not tell.

My view has always been that there have to be limits, but within those limits surely we want happy customers.

In most organisations there seem to be those who want to beat up on the customers.

This I have never understood. After all, no customers, no job.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos