Beechtobus
Topic Author

Spirit's Embracing The Hate Towards Them

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:46 am

The marketing geniuses at Americas most hated airline are at it again. Seems that this time, they are embracing the hatred towards them in the form of a music video and an accompanying frequent flyer mile giveaway called the Hate Thousand Mile Giveaway. I've never seen this before, but it does seem very clever and, in true Spirit form, "in your face". The video does actually contain narrative of negative tweets that I'm sure Spirit has received. And some of them are not the toned down, filtered out, gentler hate tweets you'd think they would present. They are, I'm sure, the real deal from real pissed off customers. The website then directs you to express your hate (or love) towards Spirit (or any other airline) and receive your 8000 miles.

The website with the video:

http://www.hatethousandmiles.com

The press release:

http://ir.spirit.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=858283

Clever marketing I think. Now what they are going to do with the venting that they receive, who knows. None the less, very unorthodox and very Spirit.

[Edited 2014-07-09 18:43:00]

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Spirit's Hate Thousand Mile Giveaway

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:54 am

The girl in that video looks very familiar. Any idea who she is???

And as for the video...LOL. Spirit has no shame and, in business, sometimes you can't have any shame. Though this is the first airline to call it's customer cheap asses  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Beechtobus
Topic Author

RE: Spirit's Hate Thousand Mile Giveaway

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:05 am

Quoting MesaflyGuy (Reply 1):

Funny, I thought the exact same thing. I'm sure Spirit wouldn't have anyone too recognizable do this because of costs. She does look a little like Amy Schumer, I think. Maybe she just has one of those familiar faces.

Though this is the first airline to call it's customer cheap asses

yeah, though that part could have been left out, but then again, in the "spirit" of embracing things you normally wouldn't, why not embrace the fact that your flying on Spirit because you're a cheap ass? When the text in the video defines ass with the asterisk, it sounds very flattering (I haven't been able to read it all).

DL WIDGET HEAD

RE: Spirit's Embracing The Hate Towards Them

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:52 am

Quoting Beechtobus (Thread starter):
Clever marketing I think.

I don't think that it's ever a clever marketing plan to associate the word "hate" with your brand, even in jest. Seems to me that this may backfire on them. A bit too cheeky.

bchandl

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:16 am

Is there a way to read the submitted hate pieces?

Just looking for some quality entertainment, and I am sure there is some gold in there.

bchandl

futureualpilot

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:37 am

They know exactly what they are, and they're not trying to be anything else. They're also exactly right. People may hate them, but they continue to draw in plenty of business.
Life is better when you surf.

akelley728

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:58 am

Quoting Beechtobus (Reply 2):
Funny, I thought the exact same thing. I'm sure Spirit wouldn't have anyone too recognizable do this because of costs. She does look a little like Amy Schumer, I think. Maybe she just has one of those familiar faces.

She is wearing a necklace that says Laura. A quick google search turned up a Laura Bell Bundy, a country singer and actress who currently stars as Dr. Jordan Denby in 'Anger Management' and Shelby in 'Hart of Dixie'. I couldn't find a connection between Ms. Bundy and Spirit Airlines on google, but I'm pretty sure she's the girl in the video.

Quoting Beechtobus (Reply 2):
When the text in the video defines ass with the asterisk, it sounds very flattering (I haven't been able to read it all).

The asterisk says:
*by which we mean thrifty, economical, conservative, dollar-smart, money-wise, unwasteful, cost-efficient, conservative, spartan, geniuses like you

[Edited 2014-07-09 20:10:11]

santi319

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:12 am

This is golden. Specially for all of A-net haters!

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:13 am

Quoting Akelley728 (Reply 6):

Nope, that's not her. For a second, she reminded me of Lauren Conrad, but not after comparing the two faces side by side.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

skyone

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:40 am

Quoting santi319 (Reply 7):

jajaja, No, remember some of the haters fly J and F. They will never fly #smartclass, LOL ... they made my day. Now I can say I sometimes fly Smart Class  

VCEflyboy

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:17 am

WN has been doing it, too. They have an entire TV show showing how bad their customers get treated.
People still fly them. I guess any publicity is good publicity.

UALFAson

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:28 am

Quoting Akelley728 (Reply 6):
She is wearing a necklace that says Laura. A quick google search turned up a Laura Bell Bundy, a country singer and actress who currently stars as Dr. Jordan Denby in 'Anger Management' and Shelby in 'Hart of Dixie'. I couldn't find a connection between Ms. Bundy and Spirit Airlines on google, but I'm pretty sure she's the girl in the video.

I see the resemblance, but I'm pretty sure it's not her. If you look at photos, neither the teeth nor eyebrows match. Also, the idea of Spirit hiring a semi-famous paid celebrity "endorser" goes against all of their marketing efforts to date (e.g. obtaining free publicity by double-entendre ads and ads that speak to current events).
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:41 am

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 10):

WN has been doing it, too. They have an entire TV show showing how bad their customers get treated.

I haven't watched that show in at least several years but I never came away from it with the impression that they treated their customers bad. I felt worse for the employees usually.

I've never flown Spirit and, living in Seattle, not sure if I ever will, would, or would want to. Having said that - they got me. I signed up for a frequent flyer account and visited this hate site to leave my comments. To be honest, I can't remember what airline I ended up picking out of the crowd to complain about.....I think it was Delta, well, just because....haha... but now I can't remember....

Oh wait - it was Chautauqua .... I hate the name.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

DocLightning

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:55 am

Clever marketing I think.

Any publicity is good publicity? I'm too old and crotchety (at 37) to fly Spirit. DL is my first choice lately, although they sadly rarely are going where I'm going.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

aklrno

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:12 am

As a passenger who doesn't drink, I never felt offended by the way they treated drunks (most of the problem passengers) or overly demanding jerks. I don't want them on my flight anyway. They usually were shown going out of their way for passengers who treated them nicely. That's always been my experience on WN.

I think the TV shows were good PR for them.

lpdal

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:16 am

I submitted my "hate" about BahamasAir. I hope I could win the miles, I could do some interesting day trips. Wouldn't mind experiencing their Quasi First Class Product again either.  

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

PHX787

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:15 am

So they indeed are turning into America's Ryanair   

Honestly though, has anyone here flown them? I never have and never will...
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

dtw2hyd

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Clever marketing I think. Now what they are going to do with the venting that they receive, who knows. None the less, very unorthodox and very Spirit.

This is a new low/high in marketing. I have seen full page "We are sorry" ads from General Motors.

May be a sting to weed out all haters. If I recall correctly Macomb County Sheriff's office sent out "You have won a prize" letters to wanted criminals, some of them showed up at given location to collect the prize.

Viajero

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 16):

I have. I must be a glutton for punishment 

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:26 pm

Okay...

First of all, the show is off the air
Second of all, I didn't see any signs of customers being treated badly when I was watching it last week...

I've flown them and had mixed feelings. I LOVED the price and liked the convenience of having a LGA-MYR nonstop (and TWO of them, to boot!), but I was used to the legacy service when I first flew them. That being said, the flight attendants have been mainly professional, with a few of them that I can tell really love their job and do want to interact with their passengers. That being said, I'm 6'1" and I cannot fly them without upgrading to the Big Front Seats. My knees just can't take it.

That being said, they've only gotten me to my destination late two or three times, and two of those were LGA problems, not Spirit. And I definitely got what I paid for and more, considering I don't fly them unless the price is under $100.

pasu129

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Honestly though, has anyone here flown them?

I have, when it was brand new and with this new "cheap seats" concept, honestly, would never fly them again, it was brutal just to be on the aircraft, with rude F/As (one of my friends actually work for them) and little to zero service, and zero comfort level. Talked to my friend and asked if that was their model to be rude to passengers, answer was "try dealing with plane load of uncomfortable passengers and they complain all the way from Vegas to Miami, you'd be rude too" so I guess that was their model.

As for marketing view, relating H8TE with your brand and repeating a tweet "a cheap seat for a cheap ass" is like the worst PR nightmare. Basically embracing "this is how we are, we are not changing, like it or walk away". Good Luck Spirit!
Viva Las Vegas

csturdiv

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:16 pm

I have flown them a few times, after the first time, I paid for the bigger seat. I would not fly on them now, and at least out of ORD their prices are no better than AA and UA. I am currently looking to book ORD-IAH-ORD to visit family soon. They are $321 versus $362 on UA and AA.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

planemaker

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Quoting MesaflyGuy (Reply 19):
And I definitely got what I paid for and more, considering I don't fly them unless the price is under $100.

Exactly. I always chuckle from complainers that expect Four Season's service at a Motel 6!  
Quoting pasu129 (Reply 20):
Basically embracing "this is how we are, we are not changing, like it or walk away". Good Luck Spirit!

It is called market segmentation... they know their market and are letting people know, effectively, that they are no more than a faster bus service... so don't expect wide comfy seats, leg room... or hot towels. 
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

nkops

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Have flown them many times since my airport is pretty much controlled by them... it's not bad if you don't expect too much. They have gotten me from point A to point B cheaply and pretty much on time
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

e38

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 16), " . . . has anyone here flown them?"

Yes, at least a dozen times over the last year and I have found them to be just fine. You get exactly what you pay for . . . transportation from point A to point B. Every time I have flown them, the flights have been on time, the cabin has been reasonably clean, the crews have been friendly and professional, and even though the seats do not recline, I found them to be comfortable enough for short periods of time (DFW-MSP, DFW-ATL, DFW-BWI etc). I have never paid for any of the inflight snacks or beverages; I always bring a snack and a cup of coffee with me, and it has never been a problem.

I don't need the amenities (beverages; peanuts, cookies, or pretzels on Delta) of the legacy carriers, and I don't mind a middle seat.

One of the things I like best about Spirit, and nobody has mentioned it, is that if you look at the fare between two city pairs a month or two in advance, but then decide to actually buy a ticket on the day of your travel, in my experience, the fare has always been the same--no doubling, tripling, or quadrupling the fare once you get inside of 14 days/7 days etc. And, a couple of times when I waited until I got to the airport to buy the ticket at the counter, the fare was actually less than what was quoted online.

Every flight I have been on has been almost completely full. My guess is that folks actually like Spirit, but most people HAVE to have something to complain about, and Spirit has become one of the targets of the air travel industry.

Also quoting PHX787, "I never have and never will... "

oh, come on . . . give it a try!

e38

lpdal

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:02 pm

Spirit Airlines New First Class FLL-MCO-FLL (Pics) (by LPDAL Feb 17 2014 in Trip Reports)

My report on their "Big Front Seat" a few months back.

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

lostsound

Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:28 pm

This is actually brilliant. They are literally filling their planes off of passenger disapproval. Hats off to Spirit!

ozark1

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:12 pm

Quoting pasu129 (Reply 20):
they complain all the way from Vegas to Miami, you'd be rude too" so I guess that was their model.

This quote says A LOT. It's not just about the airline, it's about the people too. LAS flights practically run out of liquor, MIA? well it speaks for itself. I'm a firm believer that the location of hubs has a lot to do with complaint rates. Look at DL, hubs in places where people seem much happier about life in general. Less stressed. ATL, MSP, SLC, SEA. Ok so there is DTW and JFK, but just look at the history of Florida based airlines. Eastern out. Pan Am out. National out. Air Florida out. You are never going to have a plane load of satisfied people going to Florida. Sorry, just doesn't happen. I don't care what airline it is. I avoid the state like the plague  

scutfarcus

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 pm

It may just be psychology, but this video really stresses me out. Just thinking about Spirit or RyanAir automatically produces all kinds of anxiety in me... even though I see their logic. Never flown Spirit, though I've had acceptable experiences with RyanAir. Even though the results were acceptable the stress of being paranoid about my bags and worrying about all these stupid nickels and dimes just does not work for me. Yeah, I'm that guy, but I'm still happy to pay more not to have to think about any of it.

pasu129

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:44 pm

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 27):
I avoid the state like the plague  
  This made my day! LOL   
Viva Las Vegas

ROSWELL41

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:09 pm

My 18 year old sister loves this ad campaign. I think she is indicative of the popularity of Spirit with a younger and less affluent generation who has plenty of gadgetry to entertain themselves for a short to medium haul flight. The college age backpacker crowd is a growing demographic for NK. They are savvy and cost conscious.

flyguy89

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Yup, LAS-LAX for $70 roundtrip, perfectly fine and a ridiculously low fare for a short flight. Definitely wouldn't take them on any long-haul flights though.

ozark1

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:13 pm

It would be ok, and I find it very clever, but the words "ass" and "hate" consistently...that turned me off. I thought it was a very clever concept though.

S75752

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:53 am

Quoting DL WIDGET HEAD (Reply 3):
to associate the word "hate" with your brand,

Marmite.

I gotta say I quite like that Spirit seems to embrace this. I get the feeling they're working to cater toward the veteran ULCC traveller, who knows every bit that he/she is getting in to when they pick a ULCC like NK, and know fully well how to adjust their plans and expectations to accomodate such while finding the absurd fares. I'm not sure how many of that breed we have online here, but that's the impression I get! Surely mastering the ULCC is an art form all in its own... and the haters are the ones who haven't quite learned it.

IMissPiedmont

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:22 am

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 31):

Yup, LAS-LAX for $70 roundtrip, perfectly fine and a ridiculously low fare for a short flight. Definitely wouldn't take them on any long-haul flights though.

But you can drive it for less and have a much more pleasant trip and it would not take much longer.

As for the 8000 miles. What good would they be for someone who would not fly on the airline?
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

cjg225

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:46 pm

Just saw the video finally. That was really good, actually. I liked it.

I've not flown NK yet, but maybe I will some day. I put up with F9 a few weeks ago for a 1 hour flight. I can probably handle an NK flight.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

compensateme

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:32 pm

From reading these forums you think that when flying NK, you'd have to fight off monsters or something.

Yes, the ride is marginally uncomfortable on NK compared to other airlines. However, if you're on an aircraft with seats that don't recline, it's often no worse than sitting on another airline in which the 300 lb. passenger in front of you decides that it's his God given right to force his seat to recline further than it's made to (and yes, this happens more often than you may think... except that sometimes the 300 lb. passenger is only 120 lbs.)

If you're aware of what the TOTAL cost of flying NK will be and what to expect and weigh that against the price of the flight vs. OAL, you will enjoy your flight a lot more. But don't expect to pay half the price as United to Las Vegas and receive the same level of services.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

lpdal

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:23 am

Everyone, I received my 8,000 miles today! Thanks NK! I'm going to spend these on another Big Front Seat daytrip, or use them on FLL-TPA-FLL so I can experience the A319 Big Front Seat.

Free miles!   

-LPDAL 

flyguy89

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:33 am

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 34):
But you can drive it for less and have a much more pleasant trip and it would not take much longer.

Debatable, the drive between Las Vegas and Los Angeles...not the greatest, and then there's LA traffic on top of that.

JBAirwaysFan

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:00 am

Ehhh, they still suck.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

S75752

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:06 am

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 34):

There are many beautiful, scenic, pleasant drives to Las Vegas. That is not one of them.

747400sp

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:21 am

Well atleast they own up to it. I would love to give bags losing UA, are do not want to put entertainent on board their narrowbodies US Airways, a piece of my mind.

compensateme

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 38):
Debatable, the drive between Las Vegas and Los Angeles...not the greatest, and then there's LA traffic on top of that.

You'll encounter LA traffic going to/from the airport. Once you get beyond the city, the drive itself goes quickly.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

Beechtobus
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Dang lpdal, time to start clearing out that inbox!

[Edited 2014-07-19 14:59:59]

bps3458

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:14 pm

The more I read about them the more I look forward to flying them for the first time in a couple of months. Am flying them from LAX-IAH (9/26 and 10/4) return and believe I have taken all precautions for an enjoyable experience. I have prepaid luggage to be checked-in, paid for a big front seat and will make sure to check-in at home and weigh my luggage to stay under 40 lbs. Any thing I am missing ?

Both flights are on a A319 and as I am 6'7" have a questions which row to book. Should I go for row 1 with the bulkhead in front where I can't stretch out or go with row 2 where I can stretch my legs underneath the seat in front of me ? Recommendations highly appreciate. Do the big front seats recline ?

Am flying in to LAX in C on QF 15 so should be well fed and just want to sleep on the flight but in case I do decide to purchase a drink, have there been any issues using foreign credit cards on Spirit ? Same on the way back to LAX. No need to drink or eat as I'll have dinner in the QF lounge prior to boarding QF 16 back to BNE.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Quoting bps3458 (Reply 44):

I've done the BFS in the 319 and I'd go with Row 2 personally. And yes, they recline.  

727LOVER

Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:51 am

Here's a story from CBS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AcgWZpUTTI
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

lpdal

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 46):

Great video 727Lover, Ben Baldanza seems like a great guy. Yeah, his airline charges for everything, but is raking in dough by the million. And they are growing, too. They even have domestic F seats if you want them.  

-LPDAL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos