Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyguy89
Topic Author

Major Allegiant Expansion At CVG: Adds FLL And IWA

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:32 pm

Great news for CVG, Allegiant will add service to Ft. Lauderdale and Phoenix-Mesa as well as double frequencies on existing services to SFB and PIE.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/mone...ant-air-expansion-at-cvg/12630807/

Happy to see things heading in a positive direction for CVG with the proliferation of LCC's and consistent growth in enplanements for the first time in quite a while.

This comes on the heals of a previous Cincinnati Enquirer interview with Andrew Levy stating CVG could be Allegiant's newest aircraft base.

slcdeltarumd11

RE: Major Allegiant Expansion At CVG: Adds FLL And IWA

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:55 pm

I think there are alot of anti delta flyers in CVG who are looking for alternatives

Smart move by allegiant to move in and grab the leisure passengers

TheMSYGuy

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 pm

I wonder why they don't fly to MSY. New Orleans is a pretty big tourist destination...believe it or not. People who don't live in Louisiana seem to love to NOLA, but the locals...not so much.   G4 could probably quite a bit of money during Mardi Gras and around the times of the huge music festivals they host.

treebeard787

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Seems like a good move by G4. I'm sure CVG-IWA will be a good route for them.
Allons-y!

jeb94

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:31 pm

They tried New Orleans once if I recall. Sales were disappointing to say the least. It was cancelled roughly two weeks before the first flight.

boeingkid

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Good news for CVG I am glad to see this....

TheMSYGuy

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Quoting jeb94 (Reply 4):

I think they actually flew to GPT in Gulfport/Biloxi, which isn't THAT far away from MSY. Plus it was in 2007. The Gulf Coast was still trying to recover from Katrina then. They should try service once again...the area has long since rebuilt since Katrina.

SurfandSnow

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Thread starter):
Happy to see things heading in a positive direction for CVG with the proliferation of LCC's

I can't believe DL managed to keep all of the LCCs out of CVG for so long. With Cincinnati being not only by far the largest domestic market but also the most important domestic business market unserved by WN, I think it's only a matter of time before canyon blue jets are serving CVG. The business travelers that WN is all about these days are not willing to fly into CMH, DAY, IND, or SDF when heading to Cincinnati, and leisure travelers are less likely to drive to those airports these days given higher gas prices, higher WN fares, and lower fares available at CVG.

and consistent growth in enplanements for the first time in quite a while.

Yes, but it seems like (what is left of) the DL hub continues to fall apart. Once again, more CVG cuts in this weeks enilria update...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

cbphoto

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:17 pm

During a recent interview, it was mentioned as a rumor that CVG could be the next crew base for G4. Looks like with this latest round of expansion it could be true!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

MSYtristar

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:22 pm

Quoting jeb94 (Reply 4):
They tried New Orleans once if I recall. Sales were disappointing to say the least. It was cancelled roughly two weeks before the first flight.

That was BTR.  

Great to hear about the increased CVG service and I hope to see them in MSY one day.

flyguy89
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 7):
I think it's only a matter of time before canyon blue jets are serving CVG. The business travelers that WN is all about these days are not willing to fly into CMH, DAY, IND, or SDF when heading to Cincinnati, and leisure travelers are less likely to drive to those airports these days given higher gas prices, higher WN fares, and lower fares available at CVG.

Exactly, and I believe we're already seeing this happening. DAY's enplanements have been tumbling for the past 6-10 and WN/FL has been shrinking their presence there.

Yes, but it seems like (what is left of) the DL hub continues to fall apart. Once again, more CVG cuts in this weeks enilria update...

Their enplanements have actually been very stable, even showing increases in certain months. Who can say though what the future holds in that regard.

stlgph

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:22 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 9):
That was BTR

Yes, it was Baton Rouge to Vegas twice weekly. They announced in spring of 2004 for service to start in May 2004 then it never happened.

Good for Cincinnati and good for Allegiant. Hopefully this works.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

CIDFlyer

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:06 am

those were just January only cuts. DL seems to be holding steady in CVG. If CVG ever loses the CDG flight then I would sepculate DL would be winding down. They seem to be happy with CVG at the moment.

Good for CVG and G4. Hopefully LAS will be added at some point. I could see G4 using some 757's there at some point. Maybe CVG will be the base that GRR was supposed to have been but didnt work out.

lpdal

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:34 am

Has DL discontinued FLL-CVG? Can't seem to find it in their booking engine.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

atcsundevil

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:11 am

I assume the CVG-IWA flight will be operated with A319s?

flyguy89
Topic Author

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:26 am

Quoting lpdal (Reply 13):
Has DL discontinued FLL-CVG?

It's still there, 1-2x daily depending on the season.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:30 am

I think allegiant should do LAS......the market is there

iowaman

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:33 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 16):

It is, and I think G4 could make a go of it. DL does serve the market with an A320, although less than daily.

b727fa

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 10):

Based on what? The hub is stable, profitable and actually connections are up and seats to/from have increased.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

flyguy89
Topic Author

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Press conference was held this morning: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/mone...ant-air-expansion-at-cvg/12630807/

CVG-FLL: 4x weekly on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays starting Oct. 9

CVG-IWA: 2x weekly on Wednesdays and Saturdays starting Nov. 12

CVG-SFB/PIE/PGD: All will double capacity to 4x weekly year-round

In all, capacity will increase from ~8 flights per week to 18 flights, not including seasonal MYR service.

seatback

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:53 pm

I can't believe DL managed to keep all of the LCCs out of CVG for so long. With Cincinnati being not only by far the largest domestic market but also the most important domestic business market unserved by WN, I think it's only a matter of time before canyon blue jets are serving CVG. The business travelers that WN is all about these days are not willing to fly into CMH, DAY, IND, or SDF when heading to Cincinnati, and leisure travelers are less likely to drive to those airports these days given higher gas prices, higher WN fares, and lower fares available at CVG.

Folks on expense reports aren't going to drive 100 miles for a cheaper ticket!

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 19):

I wonder if we'll see AA pop in on this market (CVG-PHX).

b727fa

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:21 am

I think I remember hearing that they'd like to see 25-30 flights/day to have a "base."
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

MesaFlyGuy

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:37 am

In all, capacity will increase from ~8 flights per week to 18 flights, not including seasonal MYR service.

I'm not surprised to see MYR not being increased. While I think that they might be able to increase the frequency during the high season, MYR is a completely seasonal city for G4,and I don't expect that to change unfortunately.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

n471wn

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:40 am

Ironically as G4 is expanding they continue to do so with fewer aircraft as 2 MD-80's were parked at Mesa this week and are out of service.

flyguy89
Topic Author

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:56 am

Quoting MesaflyGuy (Reply 22):
I'm not surprised to see MYR not being increased. While I think that they might be able to increase the frequency during the high season, MYR is a completely seasonal city for G4,and I don't expect that to change unfortunately.

Well G4's MYR base is actually completely seasonal and only operates between May and August, so any frequency changes for those flights wouldn't be announced until next year.

MesaFlyGuy

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 24):
Well G4's MYR base is actually completely seasonal

I know   
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 am

CVG-FLL: 4x weekly on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays starting Oct. 9

CVG-SFB/PIE/PGD: All will double capacity to 4x weekly year-round

Impressive. Nearly the entire set of G4 Florida destinations. Not surprised to see this at all--CVG is a nearly perfect market for G4.

CIDFlyer

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:55 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 21):
I think I remember hearing that they'd like to see 25-30 flights/day to have a "base."

that would be a alot of flights a day...are you sure that isnt per week? 25-30 a week would be in line for them to consider it a base, much like BLI is or GRR once was

OzarkD9S

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:05 am

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 26):

Impressive. Nearly the entire set of G4 Florida destinations. Not surprised to see this at all--CVG is a nearly perfect market for G4.

And certainly larger than most of their Origin cities. The lack of WN (or B6 or NK) is a plus.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

LV

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:15 am

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 27):
that would be a alot of flights a day...are you sure that isnt per week? 25-30 a week would be in line for them to consider it a base, much like BLI is or GRR once was

I think G4 doesn't even do 25 flights a day to LAS, even on the weekends

rockyracoon

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Quoting seatback (Reply 20):

People have been speculating about it, I wonder if AA will make a go for it? It would be nice to see one of those freshly painted A319s parked at concourse A.

I'd suspect AA would look to upguage CVG-DFW to mainline again before starting PHX. For that matter, does anyone foresee AA mainline to CLT or PHL in the cards?

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 12):
DL seems to be holding steady in CVG. If CVG ever loses the CDG flight then I would sepculate DL would be winding down.

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 16):
Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 12):
Good for CVG and G4. Hopefully LAS will be added at some point. I could see G4 using some 757's there at som

If the success continues, LAS seems like a great market to add. In previous threads, some have suggested lack of available equipment (airbus) for LAS at the moment. As G4's fleet expands, it will be interesting to follow and speculate. Of course the 757 would be welcomed  
Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 1):
I think there are alot of anti delta flyers in CVG who are looking for alternatives

This is overblown, in my opinion. Cincinnati people aren't opposed to Delta, most prefer and remain loyal to Delta. I think Anet sentiment sometimes equates anti CVG fare prices with anti DL.
Airports I've flown from: CVG PIT MWO PHL PHX ORD DCA IAD MIA TPA MCO FLL ATL DTW DFW SJC LAX DEN SLC LAS HNL LIH OGG YVR GYE MUC ICN NRT PVG SHA SZX MNL PPS CRK BKK DMK KBV EOH MDE CLO CTG SMR BOG ACD MEX CUN MID AUA SAL RTB

rockyracoon

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Happy to see things heading in a positive direction for CVG with the proliferation of LCC's and consistent growth in enplanements for the first time in quite a while.

I had to chuckle on the people mover yesterday. The computer voice sounds winded listing off all the Concourse A airlines now

Airports I've flown from: CVG PIT MWO PHL PHX ORD DCA IAD MIA TPA MCO FLL ATL DTW DFW SJC LAX DEN SLC LAS HNL LIH OGG YVR GYE MUC ICN NRT PVG SHA SZX MNL PPS CRK BKK DMK KBV EOH MDE CLO CTG SMR BOG ACD MEX CUN MID AUA SAL RTB

b727fa

Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 27):

Yup! My mistake! Thanks!

Quoting rockyracoon (Reply 31):
I had to chuckle on the people mover yesterday. The computer voice sounds winded listing off all the Concourse A airlines now

Very true! The stop at A is longer just so that can rattle off all the names. Ha Ha.

PHX787

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Define "good news," as G4 Isn't exactly an airline persay.....
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 33):

They fly planes, they sell tickets, they have scheduled routes. By these standards and the standards of many travelers, Allegiant is an airline. They sell many travel packages and vacations, but we are speaking of an airline. Which is good news for CVG, who wanted new airlines to come in and got it.  

Come on, I'd think you of all people would be happy about this!

flyguy89
Topic Author

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:53 pm

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 25):
I know   

Apologies, didn't mean to sound snarky if it came across that way.

Quoting rockyracoon (Reply 30):
Quoting seatback (Reply 20):

People have been speculating about it, I wonder if AA will make a go for it? It would be nice to see one of those freshly painted A319s parked at concourse A.

I'd suspect AA would look to upguage CVG-DFW to mainline again before starting PHX. For that matter, does anyone foresee AA mainline to CLT or PHL in the cards?

I'd love to see that as well, but I've seen no movement on AA's part to even try to upgauge despite DL's diminishing presence to PHX and DFW, they're still flying 50-seaters 6-7x daily on CVG-DFW.

Quoting rockyracoon (Reply 30):
Cincinnati people aren't opposed to Delta

I wouldn't go THAT far   People in Cincinnati have an irrational animosity towards both Delta and the CVG airport board, they'll gladly trash-talk Delta all day long, but yeah if the fare is right they'll have no qualms about flying them.

Quoting rockyracoon (Reply 31):

That's a problem I'm sure the airport is happy to have!

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 33):

Well, they have an operating certificate and fly scheduled routes. Why don't we start with you discussing how lower fares and more people traveling out of CVG ISN'T good news?

I know you don't like G4, that's fine, their product isn't for everyone. However even after tacking on all the extra fees they charge, the total trip cost on G4 is still significantly lower that what DL and the legacies typically charge from CVG. You should appreciate that they are demonstrating and fulfilling a demand in Cincinnati that you and I have been arguing is there for a long while.

CVG has been bleeding traffic profusely to neighboring airports for too long and has a pitiful amount of O&D traffic than what it should be for a city its size, many had even ceased to consider CVG when it came to finding a decent fare and wouldn't bother to look. This needs to and is changing and both G4 and F9 are doing wonders for putting CVG back on the radar for travelers in the Cincinnati area.

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:07 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 35):
Apologies, didn't mean to sound snarky if it came across that way.

Trust me, you didn't sound snarky   I wouldn't have put the smilies if you had  
Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 35):
. Why don't we start with you discussing how lower fares and more people traveling out of CVG ISN'T good news?

I was wondering that myself. It would seem to me that, even if we go on the premise that they aren't an airline (which I don't agree with, but it's not a big deal), they still provide cheaper travel for those in Cincinnati.

mke717spotter

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:13 am

G4 started flying from AUS and CVG last year, and both of those places aren't really the small/alternate airport that they're known for serving. Does this more medium sized cities, like MKE, might be in line to get new service from G4? Fares have risen quite a bit and WN now has a monopoly on flights to Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Florida.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.