Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MSYtristar

RE: WN Next Schedule Ex Aug 4. First Post FL Merger.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 pm

It's nice to see MKE-MSY return, albeit Saturday-only and seasonal. Hopefully the demand will grow to a point where daily service will be warranted again. Speaking of MSY, it looks like we'll be seeing six -800's with the new schedule change, which I think is the most we've seen. LAS gets two, and there's one each to DAL, HOU, MCO, and PHX.

Bobloblaw

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:04 am

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 98):
DL must be applauding this.. one less frequency to compete with lga-atl

Do you think they even notice?

BTW what happened to all the predicted ATL cuts?

rj777

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:21 am

Wonder if WN has considered MKE-HOU or MKE-DAL?

mariner

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:15 am

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 97):
They are also living up some former FL flying to Punta Cana and Montego Bay on top of Cancun. Frontier and Aero Mexico also appear to be taking up some of the slack in sun package markets AirTran used to operate but I don't know what direction

Here's a link to the Apple Vacations schedule for MKE (it doesn't include Frontier's MKE-CUN because that's with Funjet, I believe, and also a scheduled flight). Apple's MKE-CUN appears to be all AeroMexico.

http://www.applevacations.com/flight-schedule/mke-milwaukee/

Southwest is flying MKE-PUJ on Saturdays (it's Frontier on Tuesdays) and it appears to be a scheduled flight as well - although subject to government approval. I assume Southwest has applied for MKE-PUJ, or will soon?

Similarly, Frontier flies MKE-MBJ - for Apple - on Tuesdays and Southwest on Saturdays. The Southwest flight MKE-PUJ flight is also shown as "subject to government approval" so I guess Southwest has applied for scheduled authority, or will do so soon?

mariner
aeternum nauta

barney captain

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:29 am

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 77):
CRP station will be closed.

Did that materialize?
Southeast Of Disorder

QANTAS747-438

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:39 am

Quoting barney captain (Reply 104):
Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 77):
CRP station will be closed.

Did that materialize?

Nope. Still 4 daily flights, all to HOU.

Also, looks like the next schedule change will be AUG 25 for booking thru APR 6.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:02 am

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 105):

I myself didn't expect CRP to close either but it was being talked about alot with this upcoming change so I posted it for a topic to talk about.
These predictions, rumors and speculation are just that.
I post things heard or being talked about for that shear entertainment value for my fellow airline nerdy hobby schedule junkies.
Hardly anyone on this website that has REAL inside information anyway.
Enjoy the banter between fellow airline nerds picking thru schedule changes.
Some people get way to personal with there armchair CEO predictions.
And feel like they need prove a point.
Remember it's all in fun and LUV of airlines.
Enjoy Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

WNCrew

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:45 am

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 105):
Nope. Still 4 daily flights, all to HOU.

I, for one, am really surprised. What other stations do we have that are of the same size? Also, I wonder if CRP gets much in the way of higher yielding business pax. I don't know much about the cost of operating a station, but I can't imagine it's cheap and especially one as senior as CRP. To see a station that senior with only 4 flights to one city leaves one to wonder if it's not still open because it's in Texas and part of the company's history, and less because it is a money maker.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

knope2001

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 103):
Here's a link to the Apple Vacations schedule for MKE (it doesn't include Frontier's MKE-CUN because that's with Funjet, I believe, and also a scheduled flight). Apple's MKE-CUN appears to be all AeroMexico.

http://www.applevacations.com/flight-schedule/mke-milwaukee/

Southwest is flying MKE-PUJ on Saturdays (it's Frontier on Tuesdays) and it appears to be a scheduled flight as well - although subject to government approval. I assume Southwest has applied for MKE-PUJ, or will soon?

Similarly, Frontier flies MKE-MBJ - for Apple - on Tuesdays and Southwest on Saturdays. The Southwest flight MKE-PUJ flight is also shown as "subject to government approval" so I guess Southwest has applied for scheduled authority, or will do so soon?

Thanks for all this legwork!

MaverickTTT

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 107):
To see a station that senior with only 4 flights to one city leaves one to wonder if it's not still open because it's in Texas and part of the company's history, and less because it is a money maker.

I would wonder if announcing such a closure in the midst of labor negotiations with ground operations folks would do more damage than it's worth...

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:27 pm

Ok because of DOT subject to approval is needed for proposed new international service.
Talk around WN is on AUGUST 25 several new international markets will be announced for the spring flying.
Hearing 2 new destinations and about 7 new markets.
Cites rumored to get new international fly are
STL
BNA
PIT
SMF
OAK

Talk to a friend in WN cargo CRP has great cargo revenue that makes it a profitable operation so it has no plans of closing anytime soon and that rumor comes up every time theirs a ground ops contract dispute.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 110):
Cites rumored to get new international fly are
STL
BNA
PIT
SMF
OAK

Sounds like a combination of CUN (STL/BNA/PIT) and SJD (SMF/OAK) to me. FL appears to be doing some charter work for somebody on PIT-CUN already (flight numbers are 7801 and 7802; looks like it operates Thursday/Saturday/Sunday).

All of the east coast cities on that list are large enough (combination of city size and WN loyalty) that they ought to be able to support some WN scheduled beach flying.

Talk to a friend in WN cargo CRP has great cargo revenue that makes it a profitable operation so it has no plans of closing anytime soon and that rumor comes up every time theirs a ground ops contract dispute.

Seafood?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

stlgph

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 107):
What other stations do we have that are of the same size?

Isn't Des Moines only 3 flights? 1 to Las Vegas, 2 to Midway?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

MSYtristar

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:22 pm

PNS is down to just 2 flights with the new schedule (1 each to BNA and HOU), which is sad because I think the market would be a better year-round fit for the airline than ECP.

FlyPNS1

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 113):
PNS is down to just 2 flights with the new schedule (1 each to BNA and HOU), which is sad because I think the market would be a better year-round fit for the airline than ECP.

It looks like ECP is down to two flights as well. Granted, Jan/Feb are bad months for PNS/ECP. However, I think WN has really shot themselves in the foot in both markets (particularly in PNS), by offering such a poor schedule that they can't attract customers.

SANFan

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Ok because of DOT subject to approval is needed for proposed new international service.

I'm not sure exactly what your trying to get across here but I will add that since DOT approval is needed for new routes between the US and Mexico, and from the Mexican government as well, it will be rather easy to see ahead of time exactly what WN is seeking to serve. There shouldn't be any last minute surprises when the schedules are released, unless WN elects to schedule new Mexican routes as "STGA" even before they apply for them? (And I don't know if that's even allowed.)

On a more local level, I would have expected WN to apply for SAN-SJD (in addition to or even instead of SMF and OAK, if those rumors are correct) except that DL beat them to applying for the last remaining authority left for US cx in that market. (And there was some wondering at the time of the surprise announcement by DL if in fact that was exactly what they were doing -- taking that route to keep WN out...)

I personally would love to see WN apply for SAN-MEX which I think would do very well for them.

Looks like an interesting 2015 for WN! I'm looking forward to watching it unfold through schedule releases in the next few months...

bb

WNCrew

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 112):
Isn't Des Moines only 3 flights? 1 to Las Vegas, 2 to Midway?

Yes, but I *think* (I'm not certain) that a lot of, if not MOST of our newer and smaller stations utilize contracted employees which makes the overhead much cheaper.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

mtnwest1979

Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 116):
Yes, but I *think* (I'm not certain) that a lot of, if not MOST of our newer and smaller stations utilize contracted employees which makes the overhead much cheaper.

Yes, and I believe that the smallest with stable year around flight numbers with all WN ground crews is GSP @ 4/day. Although ORF is catching up (down) quickly with 5 now I believe.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

n7371f

Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:50 am

Anybody at WN know how many 717's are being stored with the AirTran shutdown? Gotta be a couple dozen at least. These planes won't go to Delta until the end of 2015.

Bobloblaw

Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Can I please have a mea cupla from all those who said ATL would see big cuts? OKC is even still in there and that was the one market I though could be cut. Though I will admit some of the timings in ATL arent great.

n471wn

Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:48 pm

Quoting n7371f (Reply 118):
Anybody at WN know how many 717's are being stored with the AirTran shutdown? Gotta be a couple dozen at least. These planes won't go to Delta until the end of 2015.

Well do the math as Delta now has 40 and they are taking them at 3 per month so clearly a good number will go into 2015 parked but they should have them all by fall of 2015

usflyguy

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:15 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 118):

between 25 and 30.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:48 am

OK after having some time finally to dig thru the latest release.
I applaud WN network planning on a job well done with the fixes to WN schedule.
They have add greater amounts of time in ICO banks to help greatly recover in a delay event.
Comparing old schedules with this new schedule are showing signs of being better to achieve OTP in the future.
The revenue opportunities to the shareholders and the schedule reliability to the customers should be a WIN WIN.
Good job puzzle palace !
Flyguy

PlanesNTrains

Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:29 am

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 81):
Look at AS employees, they get it, they're onboard with managements' initiatives (JD Power much?!)

My sister-in-law is an FA with AS. She's ALWAYS ranting about something.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

ouboy79

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 119):

Can I please have a mea cupla from all those who said ATL would see big cuts? OKC is even still in there and that was the one market I though could be cut. Though I will admit some of the timings in ATL arent great.

I never really understood the attention OKC-ATL is getting. That route has traditionally performed fairly well for FL and always seemed tough to nonrev on. Whereas OKC-MDW on FL was a dream to nonrev on as the flights were routinely 20-30% full, but that has much improved since going back to WN metal.

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:53 pm

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 124):
Whereas OKC-MDW on FL was a dream to nonrev on as the flights were routinely 20-30% full, but that has much improved since going back to WN metal.

I've never done OKC-DAL (always going outside the perimeter), but I've done just about every other non-westbound flight, and ATL/MDW/HOU seem similarly full, STL generally less so and MCI emptiest of all (it's no surprise that it's been cut).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ouboy79

Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 125):
I've never done OKC-DAL (always going outside the perimeter), but I've done just about every other non-westbound flight, and ATL/MDW/HOU seem similarly full, STL generally less so and MCI emptiest of all (it's no surprise that it's been cut).

Yeah MCI was terrible load wise. STL has it moments when it has rooms, but other days when it was just impossible to get on. Flew it last week as a rev pax (no longer an employee) and STL-OKC was packed. Similarly OKC-MDW earlier in the week was completely sold out - nice to see it turn around after going back to WN metal (though I did enjoy free business class).

MaverickTTT

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 123):
My sister-in-law is an FA with AS. She's ALWAYS ranting about something.

Complaining about something is the national pastime of ALL airline employees.