727LOVER
Topic Author

TSA Agent: "District Of Columbia,....Where That?"

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:41 pm

A reporter had some difficulty getting through MCO security because he had a DC drivers license
Seriously, you have to wonder who they are hiring.   

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...getting-geography-refresher/ngfmH/
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

penguins

RE: TSA Agent: "District Of Columbia,....Where That?"

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:44 pm

I was just about to post this. You beat me by a minute. It makes you wonder what types of goons are hired by TSA and if they even can tell a weapon when it goes under there noses in the scanner.

holzmann

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:46 pm

I was pulled over by a Santa Cruz policeman for doing 65 in a 55 and was asked after presenting my license if DC is a state. Well...I pay income tax to DC...I have no representation in Congress...and no it's not a state.
DISCLAIMER: Airliners.net is an AIRBUS forum. Boeing Commercial Airplanes, if it has considered doing so in the past, should in no way consider supporting this website.

ua900

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:21 pm

Nice to see the TSA delivering top notch customer service in return for hiking their fees.
Asked a TSA agent at LAX when the "hassle-free" Pre-check lane opens and he says it’s not hassle free since people forget to take off their belts and empty their pockets all the time. So much for that extra payment in return for a bit of service.

On to the regular lane and it takes them a whopping 3 minutes to scan my phone, my shoes and my belt. Glad I didn’t travel with a carry-on that day. Didn’t say “thank you” to the scanner and he asks if everything is ok. Gotta love what we’ve got today with the TSA. Allowing guns and knives to pass right through but always interested in cell phones and bundles of cash.
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH

usdcaguy

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):

Hilarious. I know even the lightly educated need jobs, but if you don't know what the District is, you might not have the capacity to identify bombs, even if geography and security are completely unrelated.

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 3):
Asked a TSA agent at LAX when the "hassle-free" Pre-check lane opens and he says it’s not hassle free since people forget to take off their belts and empty their pockets all the time.

He probably never flew during the pre 9/11 era.

SCQ83

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Maybe he thought it was a Colombian ID or a Columbia University student card.

aklrno

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:17 pm

Once in a while I show them my New Zealand licence (Note correct spelling) just for a bit of variety. I've always expected them to comment on my California accent instead of NZ accent, but that has never happened. No problem at all.

Some day I should try that when I have precheck on my boarding pass. I wonder if they will notice the problem there.

[Edited 2014-07-15 15:18:18]

tharanga

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:22 pm

I think this just reflects ignorance among the general population. If you surveyed a large sample of people in general, I think you'd find a few who didn't know what the District of Columbia was.

737tdi

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Quoting tharanga (Reply 8):
I think this just reflects ignorance among the general population. If you surveyed a large sample of people in general, I think you'd find a few who didn't know what the District of Columbia was.

I can say this, I guarantee you that I could ask any mechanic where I work and every one would know. It is called education, if you don't want to learn then so be it but you should not be working in a safety critical position. Sad. I am not the smartest guy, I don't always spell things correctly and I don't always know what the stock market is doing, but I don't do that job. My company hired me because I do know what I am doing, the TSA just hires by affirmative action, it is a good thing except when it concerns peoples lives.

MWAAdude

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:35 pm

As somebody from DC, I have had this issue several times at various places all over the country. The amount of people who don't realize that DC issues IDs is staggering. I've had people tell me it was a fake ID at airports before saying that I needed to have a MD or VA ID. I've had to pull out my Global Entry ID to back it up at BOS, SLC, and SFO. Those are just the places I remember. I better get out of here before I start ranting about home rule.

Relevant:

http://wtop.com/109/3662477/Traveler...ed-alcohol-because-of-their-DC-IDs

seabosdca

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:40 pm

Quoting MWAAdude (Reply 10):
As somebody from DC, I have had this issue several times at various places all over the country.

I carried a "brown" (CDL) DC license for about five years (before moving back to Seattle full-time). During that time I had to explain to a couple of people what the District of Columbia was, but that was the exception. More commonly, I'd just watch the person look at the license, furrow their brow, look like they were thinking hard, and then I'd see a sudden change in expression when the lightbulb went off.

It was even more fun to watch people in DC itself (where there really are not a lot of CDL holders) blow their minds over the fact that my license was brown rather than blue.

MWAAdude

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 9):
It is called education,

Seriously.

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 9):
My company hired me because I do know what I am doing, the TSA just hires by affirmative action, it is a good thing except when it concerns peoples lives.

For the amount that a standard TSA floor employee is paid I honestly don't expect much more than we see out there today.

PI4EVER

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 pm

On two occasions, as recent as last Friday, the TSA agent had never seen a U.S. passport card. The first one asked if I was a "federal agent" using a card like that, and last Friday the young lady who looked like she was 12 responded "Is that an official ID?" When I pointed out it was a government issued passport card she asked "Why don't you just use a driver's license?" Oh I dunno. Maybe just to mess with your empty head? Sad.
watch what you want. you may get it.

737tdi

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Quoting MWAAdude (Reply 12):
For the amount that a standard TSA floor employee is paid I honestly don't expect much more than we see out there today.

Seriously? The average salary for a TSA agent is $53,000/yr. That ain't chump change. Try making that with no education anywhere else! Average salary for the same education is $24,000. Know the answer before you ask or proclaim.

TheMSYGuy

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:58 pm

It's crazy this guy couldn't get through with a valid DC license, yet I successfully and accidentally went through security with the wrong person's boarding pass problem-free at TPA. I'm still wondering how I was able to do that....

[Edited 2014-07-15 15:59:11]

[Edited 2014-07-15 15:59:38]

seabosdca

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 14):
Seriously? The average salary for a TSA agent is $53,000/yr.

I don't know where that figure came from, but must include supervisory personnel. Maximum salary for line agents is $44,447, and most make in the $20-$30k range. Line agents are in salary bands A through E: http://www.tsa.gov/careers/pay-bands

[Edited 2014-07-15 16:00:28]

Viscount724

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 6):
Maybe he thought it was a Colombian ID or a Columbia University student card.

Or the Canadian province of British Columbia, although he probably couldn't find Canada on a map.

Quoting aklrno (Reply 7):
Once in a while I show them my New Zealand licence (Note correct spelling) just for a bit of variety.

"Licence" is only the correct spelling in British English. In U.S. (and Canadian) English, it's "license".

MWAAdude

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 14):

Seriously? The average salary for a TSA agent is $53,000/yr. That ain't chump change. Try making that with no education anywhere else! Average salary for the same education is $24,000. Know the answer before you ask or proclaim.

That's not what my fellow IAD coworkers have told me in the break room...

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 16):
I don't know where that figure came from, but must include supervisory personnel. Maximum salary for line agents is $44,447, and most make in the $20-$30k range. Line agents are in salary bands A through E: http://www.tsa.gov/careers/pay-bands

Yeah 20-30k is more what I thought it was. Maybe somebody here who is a DHS employee can enlighten me?

coolian2

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:15 pm

I've been refused on my New Zealand driver's licence because they couldn't understand my date of birth.

I'd accept that to a degree if I was born between the 1st and 12th of March, but....20/3 shouldn't be hard to work out.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

737tdi

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:20 pm

I don't know where that figure came from, but must include supervisory personnel. Maximum salary for line agents is $44,447

That salary comes from TSA.gov.. If you fly much you will notice that half or more are wearing supervisor identity badges. The folks that walk our ramps...over half are supervisors. Don't know what it takes to be a supervisor but it must not be much. I don't like or try to disparage anybody, TSA or not, but there is something definitely wrong with uneducated folks making this much for nothing. I am sure there are dedicated and professional people there, you don't have to have an education to do your job professionally, but most are people off of the street who applied for the job. Hey, they got lucky.

Oh plus this. McDonalds doesn't offer.

A wide choice of health insurance programs
Personal leave days for vacation, illness, and family care
Ten paid holidays per year
Paid training
Fully portable Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k))
Non-taxable Flexible Spending Accounts for out-of-pocket medical or dependant expenses
Transportation subsidies
Defined benefit retirement plan
Flexible work schedules
Employee recognition program
Life and long-term care insurance
Employee Assistance Program
Uniform allowance
Telework

So there ya go. What other business offers these benefits with NO education?

[Edited 2014-07-15 16:45:03]

contrails

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:21 am

Having worked in DC for 12 years I find this hilarious. It also makes me wonder how safe we are if there are very many TSA agents as dumb as this one.
Flying Colors Forever!

lat41

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:41 am

Always more to these things (or less) that what gets in the headline. When it reaches A-net though, it's just another TSA bashing post. Ho hum.

CV990A

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 am

Well - the reporter can always complain to his Senator...  
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

IndianicWorld

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:05 am

I think unless there are geography tests to get these roles, these things are going to happen unfortunately. Some can be smart at some things, but geography skills and general knowledge is lacking with many people.

You can't teach common sense though  

[Edited 2014-07-15 18:14:16]

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:17 am

Don't worry--that agent is still much smarter than the higher ups behind the scenes at the tsa and dhs.
E pur si muove -Galileo

OzarkD9S

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:28 am

Geography is one of the weakest subjects taught in schools. I had a globe when I was 4 or 5 but then I was an airline brat and a map nut. Most high school graduates have a flimsy grasp of geography, as I run across in every day life. When people at work ask me where I'm going I've had some of the following questions:

"Palm Springs, that's in Florida, right?"

"Portland, Maine...where's that?"

"San Juan....California?"

"Key West sounds fun, I've never been out west before...."

Don't blame the TSA agents, blame the schools....
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

trex8

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:29 am

Wanna bet even fewer of them know who is the DHS secretary??? They may recognize the face as its probably on photos all over their offices but the name I bet half wouldn't know,

ikramerica

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:36 am

Blame the training and staffing, not the schools or the agent.

Training should involve identifying real ids. To do this, you should know the states, types of other driver licenses from territories, districts, etc. types of US and North American passports, etc.

If this agent doesn't know these things and is put in a position where it is their job to check them, it's not really their fault.

If your mcdonalds manager puts you on the deep fryer without training, it's their fault if you burn the fries or send out frozen hash browns...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

hOMSaR

Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 27):

"Palm Springs, that's in Florida, right?"

Yes, it is.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

tortugamon

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:14 am

I am personally surprised that DC doesn't write out Washington DC on its driver's license anymore?!

It just says District of Columbia.

Who refers to it as that even if that is technically its formal name?

People say 'Washington' or 'DC' or 'Washington DC' and I bet there would be less confusion if it was written that way on the ID. We just don't say I live in the District of Columbia...I don't have high expectations for the TSA but I can see where the confusion is more than just a geography lesson.

tortugamon

b727fa

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:17 am

Maximum salary for line agents is $44,447, and most make in the $20-$30k range.

Oh, well, that makes it ok, then.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

wjcandee

Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:22 am

I suspect that all they would have to do is write "Washington D.C. Driver's License" on the thing instead of "District of Columbia", and there would be no issue at all.

Or put a Washington, DC watermark on the thing.

(I am admitted to practice before the DIstrict of Columbia Court of Appeals, and am a member of the District of Columbia Bar, but everybody just calls it the DC Bar (in fact, the DC Bar calls itself the DC Bar)). The same people who couldn't tell you what is the District of Columbia would nevertheless say, "Oh, cool, are you gonna see the Washington Monument?" if you told them you were going to "DC". Most people just retain what they need to know. I mean, how many people could tell you with certainty that Hawaii is the last state admitted to the Union? (Or is it Alaska?)

Just kidding -- I know because I watched Hawaii 5-0 as a kid. And when I say something like that to people, they say, "Oh, is THAT why it's called 'Hawaii 5-0?'"

And the reporter doesn't have to be such a pompous dork about it. All he had to say to the guy was "District of Columbia as in Washington DC, where I live, as you can see from my address on the license", and that would have been the end of it. But, being a reporter, he has to prove that that journalism degree actually done learned him somethin'.

Oh, and if the mods haven't figured it out yet, the title of this thread is an obviously racist reference to the speech pattern of a person of a particular ethnicity, and should be changed to plain English. ("Where's That?")

I had a bouncer in a bar once tell me that a passport was insufficient proof of age. I just politely suggested that he check with his manager, who was actually pretty abusive towards him about it. You idiot, and such. This wasn't in Manhattan, of course, where 20 percent of the people coming in the bar use a passport, but in a more rural location. To me, it was an honest mistake, and it should never hurt to ask.

And, for what it's worth, I have never had anything other than reasonably-competent, reasonably-polite people to deal with at TSA, some of whom were extraordinarily-polite and very professional. This is in great contrast to the really bottom of the barrel security that was present at airports before the TSA. Maybe it's the same people, and they are just better trained and managed, although I think that is probably somewhat unlikely. I can tell you that I watched with great anger as some jerks at Atlanta kept me separated from my elderly father while they harassed him on a couple of occasions as we travelled together through that airport, and it has completely-changed with TSA in there. But that's just one person's anecdotal experience.

[Edited 2014-07-15 22:45:46]

wjcandee

Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:49 am

At DC television stations, or at the TSA?

aklrno

Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:50 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 17):
"Licence" is only the correct spelling in British English. In U.S. (and Canadian) English, it's "license".

I grew up in the US. I was just joking.

reality

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:07 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 31):
People say 'Washington' or 'DC' or 'Washington DC' and I bet there would be less confusion if it was written that way on the ID. We just don't say I live in the District of Columbia...I don't have high expectations for the TSA but I can see where the confusion is more than just a geography lesson.

I believe you put your finger on exactly what the confusion is for some people.

PanHAM

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 am

anyone who can walk upright without being able to scratch his knees while doing that.

I remember an epdisode of "Jay Walking" where Leno asks 2 Girls what DC stands for. The answer was "Da Capital". Which makes them over qualified for TSA    
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

simonriat

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:15 am

Just had to respond to this.

We have saying around where I come from.

you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

while the benefits may be good the basic pay is poor.

On a similar theme I used to work for the government as an inspector of taxes in the fraud prevention department, where in my 5th year passing relevant exams along the way, an individual was employed at a middle grade based solely on the fact they had a degree in art history, very knowledgable regarding the history of art, but could write on the back of a stamp what they knew about taxes.

B777LRF

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:33 am

I got pulled over by a state trooper in a small town in Ohio once. Was asked to produce 'licence and registration', and promptly gave the officer the rental contract and my (standard EU) drivers licence. His reaction when seeing the DL was 'this ain't a license!', to which I could only say 'I'm afraid it very much is'. His next question was where I'm from, and I pointed out that it's right there on the DL. One could literally see both of his braincells working overtime, and after a minute or so they must have come to the conclusion, that writing a fine for this Johnny Foreigner would be way too bothersome.
Signature. You just read one.

DexSwart

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:23 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 27):
I've had some of the following questions:

Since moving to Australia, I've gotten a couple of odd questions and statements.
Mostly from my generation, though.

"South Africa... Whereabouts is that?"

"Oh. South Africa. Do you still live in mud huts?"

"I've been overseas. To Tasmania!"

And then, the classic,

"If you're from Africa, why are you so... Um... Not native looking?"

Basically, this isn't an American thing. This is very much a global problem, to be honest.
That being said, even I know about DC.

Surely training should cover anomalies such as this?
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

washingtonflyer

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:41 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 31):

Some say that they are heading into or live in the "District".

Sounds kinda like the "Wire". Teeheheee.

cedarjet

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:42 am

One of my Iranian visas is really near the front of my passport and it is a whole page one with the photo in approximately the same place as it appears on the passport photo page, sometimes going through TSA I open it to that page instead by accident, but no-one ever says anything. So disappointing.

(Reminds me of an Air Atlanta Icelandic pilot who hates the US obsession with security, actually he's not a fan of the country at all and is always trying to get barred so he can just fly his 747 around Europe, the ME and Asia. We were in North Korea together and the North Koreans, like Hong Kong and a few others, don't stamp passports, and he was begging, even bribing, the NK authorities to put a stamp in his passport, "to wind up the Americans" - it didn't work alas, no stamp; and his rostered trips to the US continue, but never without a bit of yelling with immigration on the way in, or security on the way out, or both.)
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Charles79

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:58 am

Quoting MWAAdude (Reply 10):
As somebody from DC, I have had this issue several times at various places all over the country.

Same here; now I resort to using exclusively my Passport or Passport card whenever I travel.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more concerned I get. Isn't DC like one of the primary targets of anyone trying to harm the United States? With that in mind, wouldn't you want the workforce that is supposed to "protect" the country to know about it?

I don't mean this to be taken as a TSA bashing as I have interacted with numerous courteous, knowledgeable, and smart agents, but this certainly makes you wonder if perhaps the agency should do more during the training (I know that in some airlines the employees have to pass a geography test; I'd expect the same of TSA agents).

Boeing744

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:59 am

The TSA website states that Canadian provincial drivers licences are an acceptable form of ID for screening, and as such I always use my Quebec DL (written completely in French) with the hopes of confounding the officer. None of them have given it a second look to date... Either they see them often, they just don't care, or they are genuinely aware that it is on their list of acceptable IDs.

Compared to the number of problems I've had with that ID in bars in the USA, the TSA reaction has been pretty decent.

washingtonflyer

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Having been a ID checker at a bar when I was in college, I can understand why there are issues. 1) a lot of checkers or "bouncers" are dumber than the chair I'm sitting on. So, don't be surprised when they are thrown for a loop by a license they don't immediately recognize. 2) a lot of checkers and bouncers are incredibly afraid of local police or state ABC agents that test bars to see if they can slip a fake ID past the checker. So again, anything that looks out of the ordinary is going to get rejected or held up.

skywaymanaz

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:16 pm

This is far from the first time this has happened. I seem to recall reading about it as far back as '02 or '03. There have also been reports of their screeners not knowing Hawaii and New Mexico are part of the US as well. Since they've been burned by this more than once you'd think it would be something basic they'd go over in training. I've seen bars here in the US that have a booklet with pictures and descriptions of US drivers licenses. Is there some reason TSA doesn't have access to the same basic information?

4holer

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 47):
This is far from the first time this has happened. I seem to recall reading about it as far back as '02 or '03. There have also been reports of their screeners not knowing Hawaii and New Mexico are part of the US as well.

I remember when the Olympics were in Atlanta and someone calling for tickets was denied them because he was from New Mexico and they could only sell the tickets to addresses in the United States.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

eaglepower83

Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:39 pm

Slightly off topic....but not much!
When I went to Connecticut for a job, and was telling people I was from Chicago.....or Illinois, I was confronted with all sorts of bizarre reactions. LOL!
- Chicago....is that in Ohio?
- Illinois? (often pronounced "illi-noizzzz") That's just west of Pennsylvania right?
- Why are you flying home all the time? Isn't it just an 8hr drive?

LMAO! Silly New Englanders in their bubble.
It's everywhere though, really.
Many Chicagoans have no idea where Connecticut is.
When I would come home for visits, I'd get funny looks with the CT license all the time because they were bright pink.
****FAKE****

[Edited 2014-07-16 07:41:56]

ikramerica

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:03 pm

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 40):

Tasmania travelers remind me if SoCal residents. "I love to travel" equates to Vegas, Cabo and Santa Barbara. And if you meet a college graduate woman it might also mean a summer semester in Italy. But they've never been anywhere else, including New York or even San Francisco. But they "love to travel."
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

seabosdca

Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 33):
And, for what it's worth, I have never had anything other than reasonably-competent, reasonably-polite people to deal with at TSA, some of whom were extraordinarily-polite and very professional. This is in great contrast to the really bottom of the barrel security that was present at airports before the TSA.

My TSA experience has been inconsistent (a few great agents, lots of unobjectionable ones, and a few terrible ones), but I agree about pre-TSA security. Everyone has forgotten what that was like. It was the same people you will find behind the counter in the most poorly run McDonald's in your city, with the same level of effectiveness and professionalism. The TSA really was an improvement.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos