andz

RE: TSA Agent: "District Of Columbia,....Where That?"

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 27):
Geography is one of the weakest subjects taught in schools.

A taxi driver in NYC asked me where I was from, I said Johannesburg, he said "oh yeah that's down south, Alabama?"

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 40):
South Africa... Whereabouts is that?"

I was having a smoke outside ORD one fresh January morning and a BIG cop standing next to me noticed I was literally shaking I was so cold. He said "you're not from around here, are ya?" I said "No I'm from South Africa." He said "Africa? you must be freezing your f'ing balls off!"
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

kgaiflyer

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:18 pm

Quoting EaglePower83 (Reply 49):
- Why are you flying home all the time? Isn't it just an 8hr drive?

First off, I have no problem with the TSA agents in El Paso TX who have a very hard job to do.

A while ago I was in El Paso for two weeks and was forced to fly back-and-forth from ELP to LAX several days in a row. Finally I was done there and was on my way home. Since this was my fourth time going through security in the same week, an agent took me aside and asked me, "Why do you think you need to fly so much?

My gut reaction was to say, "Because if I didn't, you wouldn't have a job, would you?" Another agent (supervisor?) intervened and told me to get on my way to the "B" gates.

I haven't seen *either* agent (which seems to have ferocious turnover) at ELP since.

falstaff

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:35 pm

One of the times I was flying with a pistol in my checked bag, along with ammunition, there was some confusion, by a TSA agent, about the packaging. When transporting ammunition it can't be loose. It has to be in the manufacturers original packaging or in special type of ammo container. The TSA agent looked at my box of 32ACP and said it wasn't allowed. When asked why not he said "it isn't the manufactures original packaging. I told him it was, but he said that it couldn't be because their was no English on the box. I told him it was Czech ammo and he said "it can't be because they don't make ammo outside of the USA". I told him to call his boss and he came by and schooled the agent on the fact ammo can come from anywhere and that my ammo was indeed in the manufactures original packaging.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

peterpuck

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:40 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 17):
"Licence" is only the correct spelling in British English. In U.S. (and Canadian) English, it's "license".

Actually it is "Licence" in Canada.

hivue

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 4):
I know even the lightly educated need jobs

There's another thread going on the SQ 777 blown into a jet bridge after making a scheduled flight to MNL and being left overnight at the gate with a typhoon coming through. Stupidity is not confined to the "lightly educated."

[Edited 2014-07-16 13:32:32]
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

GEG

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 53):
"Why do you think you need to fly so much?

My gut reaction was to say, "Because if I didn't, you wouldn't have a job, would you?"

I have no idea what I'm doing...

ltbewr

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 am

Imagine what some agents would do as to USA Territories like the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam and others as well as a number of foreign countries ? Likely they would be scratching their heads and likely need a couple of supervisors.

As others noted, there needs to have through screening of applicants so have some cultural and personal sensitivity, a good basic education including basic geographical knowledge and general education, good past employment experience and professional management/Supervision. Training must be through, often and demand tough standards to keep your job. There should be very limited employment protections so to be able to remove bad agents.

The TSA is one of the most important lines of security, usually it works but needs to be a much better to keep the standards we need.

m404

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:10 am

I had one of our fuelers ask me about his travel plans and wanted to know if he needed a visa for New Mexico.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

Hayseuss

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:29 am

I am a DOD civilian and have a Common Access Card (CAC), which has been the common federal ID across the DOD for 7+ years now for active duty personnel, DOD civilians and DOD contractors. I was traveling through PHX a few years ago and presented my CAC card to the TSA agent as my form of ID. The agent proceeded to tell me that only drivers licenses or passports were an acceptable form of ID. Knowing better, I asked for a supervisor who proceeded to train the agent about acceptable forms of ID for transiting security, explaining that federal IDs undergo greater scrutiny than state or provincial IDs. I left questioning what type of training the TSA employees are receiving and the type of personnel they are actually hiring.

tommy1808

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:58 am

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 46):
Having been a ID checker at a bar when I was in college, I can understand why there are issues.

Funny enough that i had one in East Lansing that didn´t want to accept my Passport, but let me in with my German drivers license. That , at the time, was about 20 years old with a picture from when i was 15 ... (license valid for life here). ....

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Kaiarahi

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:34 am

"Licence" is only the correct spelling in British English. In U.S. (and Canadian) English, it's "license".

According to the official Canadian Style Guide, "licence" is the noun, "license" is the verb. Canada has a Department of National Defence, while the U.S. has a Department of Defense.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

DTWPurserBoy

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:38 pm

I lived in DC for many years and I used to find myelf in arguments on the phone when giving someone my address. I would tell them "Washington, DC" and they would ask "What state?" I would try to tell them there is no state DC is a federal district and they would argue with me until I said "just type "DC" into the state slot and hit enter. then I would hear a moment of silence and then an "oh." Frustrating but it shows the sad state of education in this country.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

IADLHR

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Quoting m404 (Reply 59):
I had one of our fuelers ask me about his travel plans and wanted to know if he needed a visa for New Mexico.
Quoting 4holer (Reply 48):

I remember when the Olympics were in Atlanta and someone calling for tickets was denied them because he was from New Mexico and they could only sell the tickets to addresses in the United States.

I was in ABQ and the rental car broke down. I immediately called Avis and tried to explain to tell them what happened. When I told them ABQ,New Mexico I got transfered to the international desk. The problem got compounded as my cell phone was area code 301, which is in suburban Md, outside DC, instead of a help desk that would have helped people in the NM area code. Because of all the endless stupidity involved it took 12 hours resolve the situation.Fortunately,it was on a weekend and no business appointments were missed. The bad part was that it was Valentines Day and my wife and I missed our dinner.

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 53):

First off, I have no problem with the TSA agents in El Paso TX who have a very hard job to do.

A while ago I was in El Paso for two weeks and was forced to fly back-and-forth from ELP to LAX several days in a row. Finally I was done there and was on my way home. Since this was my fourth time going through security in the same week, an agent took me aside and asked me, "Why do you think you need to fly so much?

My gut reaction was to say, "Because if I didn't, you wouldn't have a job, would you?" Another agent (supervisor?) intervened and told me to get on my way to the "B" gates.

I haven't seen *either* agent (which seems to have ferocious turnover) at ELP since.

About 4 years ago I was on a business trip to DAL, ELP, and ABQ. Instead of checking in and out of hotels in DAL and ABQ I did day trips from ELP On one of the trips the TSA agent made a comment that didnt I see you yesterday and I said yes. Fortunately the dialogue ended there and nothing more was said.

bond007

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:22 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 51):
Everyone has forgotten what that was like

Yes, it certainly was no better pre-TSA, arguably worse in some cases.

Quoting andz (Reply 52):
A taxi driver in NYC asked me where I was from, I said Johannesburg, he said "oh yeah that's down south, Alabama?"

Well, since there is Athens, GA, Naples, FL, ...and a Pretoria, GA, and Johannesburg, CA I don't think this 'mistake' is confined to the TSA. There are tons of cities in the USA named after international cities, and often pronounced very wrong. I'm sure many think the USA cities were the first!

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 40):
And then, the classic,

"If you're from Africa, why are you so... Um... Not native looking?"

Basically, this isn't an American thing. This is very much a global problem, to be honest.
That being said, even I know about DC.

..again, not unusual. You are not 'native' looking, right? And you "shouldn't" be speaking fluent English, or Afrikaans. Unless you know the history of South Africa, and I'm sure few do, it does in fact appear unusual (which it is).

None of these are TSA related. I guarantee I could ask 20 people in my office right now, who are supposedly educated folks, and some would give similar answers.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

DTWPurserBoy

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 65):
None of these are TSA related. I guarantee I could ask 20 people in my office right now, who are supposedly educated folks, and some would give similar answers.

Jay Leno used to do things like this on the streets, asking people questions like "what are the three branches of the US government" and college-educated people could not tell him.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

tommy1808

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 65):

i guess you mean between 9/11 and TSA and not plain pre-TSA?

best regards
Thomas

DTWPurserBoy

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 67):
i guess you mean between 9/11 and TSA and not plain pre-TSA?

Before 9/11 private contractors had the security positions. It was generally felt that they got the folks that McDonald's wouldn't hire. Then in a knee-jerk reaction to 9/11 the TSA was formed--expensively, quickly and a lot of less than qualified people were grabbed.

IMHO TSA's function should be handled by a more profesional group like the National Guard. FOr a while after the 9/11 tragedy Guardsmen were walking through the terminals with arms visible and so many people took the time to thank them for their presence.

Such a visible armed presence in airports is very common in many parts of the world.

tommy1808

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 68):

Before 9/11 private contractors had the security positions. It was generally felt that they got the folks that McDonald's wouldn't hire.

actually i felt back then flying back and to the USA was ok and i liked friends waiting right there at the gate. Being asked if there is anything dangerous they have to be aware of in my hoodie by a TSA agent .... well, i really have a hard time not bursting out in laughter. On the other hand US immigration officers and their rather stupid questions do make make it quite difficult to decide which of them makes the experience more ridicules.
I really do not like the chicoms, but crossing their boarder is a breeze in comparison...

best regards
Thomas

krod031

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Quoting MWAAdude (Reply 18):
Yeah 20-30k is more what I thought it was. Maybe somebody here who is a DHS employee can enlighten me?

As a FORMER TSA employee... I made 38,600. That was 3 years in working at LAX.

hivue

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:26 pm

FOr a while after the 9/11 tragedy Guardsmen were walking through the terminals with arms visible and so many people took the time to thank them for their presence.

Of course. Guns are sexier than x-ray machines. If they'd put down their guns and started having people remove their shoes and belts they probably wouldn't have been so well-received.

Such a visible armed presence in airports is very common in many parts of the world.

What does that protect besides the airport?
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Quoting hivue (Reply 72):
Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 68):Such a visible armed presence in airports is very common in many parts of the world. What does that protect besides the airport?

My point was that Americans are not used to seeing airport corridors patrolled by combat uniform wearing personnel carrying military grade weapons. And they are there to provide security for the airport--and the people that use it.

DAL763ER

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Geography knowledge of TSA agent aside, does it really matter if the license is fake for security-passing purposes? You need an ID to get through TSA, but does that benefit us in any way?

As I don't hold a US driver's license, going through TSA can be confusing sometimes - I usually show the UK driver's license as I don't want to take out my passport for no reason. Some people let me through, others ask for my passport...

ikramerica

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:45 pm

Quoting Hayseuss (Reply 58):
I left questioning what type of training the TSA employees are receiving and the type of personnel they are actually hiring.

This is the correct take-away from this story, too. Not that the random employee doesn't know the ID because they are stupid, but because they are POORLY TRAINED. This job does not take a college degree. It involves the ability to read names, dates, and recognize correct forms of IDs, be able to scan them, look for holograms, and hopefully find at least some forgeries (nobody could find them all without extensive time per ID).

If the agent doesn't know a DC license, or a DOD ID, or a Passport Card, or what a proper Canadian or EU passport looks like, or what an official Utah license looks like for that matter, then that is bad TRAINING, because frankly, not many of us here would be able to tell a real vs. fake license from all 50 states, let alone distinguish all other forms of acceptable ID. We would need to be trained to do so, and then have the training updated frequently for changes that are always happening.

TSA training is obviously not great...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

trex8

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 71):
As I don't hold a US driver's license, going through TSA can be confusing sometimes - I usually show the UK driver's license as I don't want to take out my passport for no reason. Some people let me through, others ask for my passport...

Do they still use those paper licences with no photos good till you're 65 in the UK? I always thought that was the coolest thing in the world when I lived there 3 decades ago?
I think the TSA only needs a government issued ID, not even sure if it specifies it has to have a photo, though most do, except that UK driving licence!

rwessel

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:49 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 71):
Geography knowledge of TSA agent aside, does it really matter if the license is fake for security-passing purposes? You need an ID to get through TSA, but does that benefit us in any way?

No, not much at all. You'd expect any semi-competent terrorist, or the semi-competent organization sending him, to be able to acquire a decent fake ID, like any college student. The lone complete idiot might be troubled by that, but they're usually too unpredictable to catch by name easily.

And, of course, you don't actually need an ID to get through security. If you semi-believably tell them that you left yours at home, lost it, etc., you just get the extra thorough pat-down, and go on your way.

krod031

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Quoting trex8 (Reply 73):
Do they still use those paper licences with no photos good till you're 65 in the UK? I always thought that was the coolest thing in the world when I lived there 3 decades ago?
I think the TSA only needs a government issued ID, not even sure if it specifies it has to have a photo, though most do, except that UK driving licence

I will say when i worked for TSA, IIRC, if your over 65 in Tennessee, you have the option to not have your photo on your id and that was accepted as a form of ID...

sfuk

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:59 pm

The acceptable forms of ID are:

U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
Permanent resident card
Border crossing card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) for the sole purpose of identification
Native American tribal photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation Worker Identification Credential

DTWPurserBoy

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:46 am

The "transportation worker identification credential", referred to with great disdain as our "stewardess license" was issued post-9/11. The only picture on it is Orville Wright, not the carrier. But it has lots of neat color-shifting things and your name and address. It is essentially worthless. However, the Mexican government found out that we had them and they insist that you carry it on flights into or out of Mexico. Go figure.

777Jet

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:56 am

Quoting tharanga (Reply 8):
Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
Seriously, you have to wonder who they are hiring.

I think this just reflects ignorance among the general population. If you surveyed a large sample of people in general, I think you'd find a few who didn't know what the District of Columbia was.

I also think you'd find plenty of folks who couldn't name their neighboring state or even the next city down the road for that matter...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

zippyjet

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:35 am

Simple solution: Put on their liscense plates: District of Criminals Instant recognition.
But alas soon our once great nation will be referred to as the United States of Attorneys or United States of "Moronica!"

I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

checksixx

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:47 am

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 38):
I got pulled over by a state trooper in a small town in Ohio once. Was asked to produce 'licence and registration', and promptly gave the officer the rental contract and my (standard EU) drivers licence. His reaction when seeing the DL was 'this ain't a license!', to which I could only say 'I'm afraid it very much is'. His next question was where I'm from, and I pointed out that it's right there on the DL. One could literally see both of his braincells working overtime, and after a minute or so they must have come to the conclusion, that writing a fine for this Johnny Foreigner would be way too bothersome.

It goes along very well with this thread. People need to know what they're doing in their position. TSA...I'd say 60% have no clue. 40% are polite and know exactly what they're doing and looking for. As far as your traffic stop goes...of course it is a license. Sadly in EVERY career there are those who either make up rules/laws based on their own opinion or simply don't know it at all. Its really our fault with TSA because they should all meet the requirements and be Fed LE.

DAL763ER

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:40 am

I think the TSA only needs a government issued ID, not even sure if it specifies it has to have a photo, though most do, except that UK driving licence!

Yeah they do but there's also a standard photo card that you'd use for day to day things. The paper bit is only for things like car insurance and that as it would mention the points on your license. They're planning to get rid of it in a couple of years though, so finally the UK meets the future in that regard.

BN727227Ultra

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:17 pm

"I can't spell TSA but I are one!"

zrs70

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:38 pm

TSA agents are like many bookstore clerks (as opposed to librarians). They don't necessarily know their market.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

LOWS

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:46 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 83):
TSA agents are like many bookstore clerks (as opposed to librarians). They don't necessarily know their market.

well, it sounds like you go to some pretty awful bookstores.

jimbobjoe

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:43 am

licence is the correct spelling...

Interesting side note, after 9/11 meetings were held between North Americans and Europeans to standardize drivers licenses between the two continents.

The standard proposed was that all the documents read "driving licence".

As I'm told, the American DMV administrators hated that wording/spelling so much that it's one of the reasons an agreement was not reached for a standardized document.

(They also hated the fact that pink was the standardized color. But I'm told it was the licence spelling which drove them mad.)

par13del

Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 28):
Training should involve identifying real ids. To do this, you should know the states, types of other driver licenses from territories, districts, etc. types of US and North American passports, etc.

Agree, even as simple as making sure a book is available with pictures of all states and accepted id's. for each member on the front line to take home and study.

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 30):
I am personally surprised that DC doesn't write out Washington DC on its driver's license anymore?!

Probably a shot by the locals in protest against some of the restrictions placed on them by congress when looking for more autonomy.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 56):
The TSA is one of the most important lines of security, usually it works but needs to be a much better to keep the standards we need.

A suggestion, more pre-clearance in foreign lands, when we have a security here in NAS we blast the locals even if they are doing the bidding of the Americans, it is who we see 
Now this won't help Americans travelling in the USA but ............

bjorn14

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:43 pm

Would you write Chicago, IL DL or Orlando, FL DL. DC does it the same as all the states. Tthey can''t help if the rest of the country is stupid.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

skywaymanaz

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 87):
even as simple as making sure a book is available with pictures of all states and accepted id's

An ID book would help and I'd hope they really do have them at the TSA podiums. It definately wouldn't be funny if you couldn't get on a plane because an uneducated ignorant thug refused to accept your ID. Then to make matters worse described your behavior as uncooperative and aggressive to law enforcement for the crime of trying to calmly educate them on the subject. That's kind of why this issue strikes a nerve even if a lot of people on here roll their eyes and say here we go again another let's bash TSA thread.

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 61):
they would argue with me until I said "just type "DC" into the state slot and hit enter

Could be even more difficult to explain if it was AA, AE or AP for the state code since that replaced the FPO/APO post offices in Miami, New York and San Francisco for troops overseas.

pwm2txlhopper

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Quoting tharanga (Reply 8):

Seriously, you have to wonder who they are hiring.

I think this just reflects ignorance among the general population. If you surveyed a large sample of people in general, I think you'd find a few who didn't know what the District of Columbia was.

I have to agree. Americans of all ages and level of education tend to be geographically challenged. I'd guess a majority would have difficulty identifying all the states on a U.S. map, let alone countries on a globe, oceans, continents, etc.

Two of my favorite examples of this start with the time I told a colleague that I had to go to London for a week. He replied by asking "That's in France, right?" I was so shocked that I just let it go without saying anything!

My second example comes from my uncle, a high school teacher who teaches at a school only about fifteen miles from the Atlantic Ocean. While quizzing the class about geography, one of the first questions was easy. The question was "which ocean do we share the coast with?"

The first student to answer guessed the Pacific Ocean! He was completely serious!

Ruscoe

Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:17 pm

I've just returned from 5 weeks in the USA and Canada, with multiple flights and 10 security screenings.

My experience was that the TSA agents were friendly, polite and efficient.

Ruscoe

jimbobjoe

Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 30):
I am personally surprised that DC doesn't write out Washington DC on its driver's license anymore?!

DC decided to adopt the REAL ID Act and make licenses compliant with that act. For some reason, compliance requires them to change the name on the license from Washington, D.C. to District of Columbia.

Ironically the whole purpose of the act (and some of the standardization) is to ensure easier identification of identity cards at the airport.

zippyjet

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:35 am

Quoting Ruscoe (Reply 90):

Again it's that old addage: 5% of the bad apples spoil the reputation of the 95% that do their jobs and treat others the way they would like to be treated.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos