Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLAXAirport
Topic Author

Chances Of A North America To BUD Flight?

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:07 pm

When could we possibly see the return of a flight from North America to Budapest, Hungary? Malev, Delta, and American all flew to Budapest only to end it because of various different reasons such as the fall of Malev and the connections it had to offer. Could we ever see UA, AA, or DL go to BUD?

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

Cipango

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:26 pm

AA offered flights to BUD from JFK until around 2 years ago. I don't believe it was profitable.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:43 pm

I think its just too far inland to need a non-stop too many connection points in Europe. Every major city is one stop that has significant o&d already i would imagine? There would need to be alot of premium o&d to one city to be worth a N/S i dont think that exists

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Chances Of A North America To BUD Flight?

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:16 pm

I bet if Wizzair ever goes longhaul we'll see it. Other than that, I just don't see it happening unfortunately.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

mats

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 pm

There have been many attempts.

Malev flew the 767 nonstop to JFK fo many years.
American tried for a couple of years, trying to capitalize on Malev codeshare traffic.
Pan Am had a route (usually one-stop), and Delta took this over, but eventually discontinued it.

I think that Budapest is like many Eastern European citites. It's a large, important city. But there are easy connections to Budapest through just about every major European gateway. It's also not a large enough O&D market to justify service of its own.

We've lost service (or at least lost year-round service) from US carriers to so many Eastern European cities: Lviv, Kiev, Athens, Vienna, and Warsaw all come to mind.

KLAXAirport
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Quoting mats (Reply 4):
We've lost service (or at least lost year-round service) from US carriers to so many Eastern European cities: Lviv, Kiev, Athens, Vienna, and Warsaw all come to mind.

However what's different is that 4/5 of those cities have service to NA by their national carrier. Sadly, Hungary doesn't have a national carrier with long haul aircraft.

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

usdcaguy

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:03 pm

Quoting mats (Reply 4):

Don't forget the former DL service to Bucharest. DL still serves Athens seasonally. We will most likely never see a US carrier make a play in those markets again, which are typically very low-yielding compared to other cities around the world. The European carriers are much more able to fill their planes with passengers on their end as they have a ton of feed in Europe to fill their flights to the US.

qqflyboy

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:22 am

Quoting mats (Reply 4):

Don't forget US still serves PHL-ATH.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

krisyyz

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 pm

MA's YYZ and JFK routes did pretty well in summer, but their 767s were empty October to April. There isn't enough VFR traffic to sustain year-round ops nor is there enough tourist demand to make the routes profitable.

I do recall MA's YYZ route operating at 85%+ load factors during the last few years of operations, but even then, a big chunk of the pax transferred onto MA's short-haul routes.

In terms of Canadian airlines, I could imagine TS flying YYZ or YUL-PRG-BUD or something of that nature on a seasonal basis.

Solyom (the airline that never came to be) did have "plans" to start long-hauls ops from BUD. There are indications, if you can call them that, of the Hungarian Government negotiating with investors to form a new national airline. But even if that happens, long-haul flights would be years if not decades down the road.

Once MA went bust, BUD lost all of its long-haul flights, EK will be the only airline to serve BUD with a wide-body a/c.

KrisYYZ

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos